Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Windows 98 posted:

Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask - I had the VHS and we didn’t own many other VHS tapes. I think it hit me so hard because it has this ethereal dream like vibe. The kind of dream anxiety we’re you can’t run, or call for help, or punch, etc. The feeling of helplessness. Plus the mask itself was scary as hell looking. They must have seen this and decided to tone down the rest of the series because it is genuinely disturbing. gently caress you The Haunted Mask.

The Pool Episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark - gently caress water, gently caress that pool, gently caress invisible bogey men, gently caress that guy after they splash it with chemicals and it looks horrifying, and gently caress this episode of tv. Rated Y7? What the gently caress were they smoking? That episode is not for children.
The idea of not being able to take off the mask was a lot to process. That's my face FOREVER??? :ohdear:

Besides that one ep, Are You Afraid of the Dark was consistently the scarier show. The thing that got me was just the commercial for the show that featured this computer virus guy, a character which in retrospect is risible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3BSLABjJ0&t=822s

GundamHealer posted:

Fire in the Sky
Never saw it but finding out about this movie as an adult was like lol, no thanks. From the number of people who've brought it up I feel like I dodged a bullet

dobbymoodge posted:

Large Marge from Peewee's Big Adventure of course, and Plague Dogs. The former is fine now, the latter I will never watch again. Just remembering it can wreck a day.
For anyone who maybe doesn't fully get the point of the thread or perhaps didn't have these experiences, this is the "real" answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqWzquBh0c&t=16s

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

I walked in on my parents watching Full Metal Jacket when I was 7 or 8, at this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVqcfCrOAI

That hosed me up real good. Private Pyle's brains on the wall was seared into my memory for years.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Dokapon Findom posted:

The idea of not being able to take off the mask was a lot to process. That's my face FOREVER??? :ohdear:

Besides that one ep, Are You Afraid of the Dark was consistently the scarier show. The thing that got me was just the commercial for the show that featured this computer virus guy, a character which in retrospect is risible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3BSLABjJ0&t=822s

Never saw it but finding out about this movie as an adult was like lol, no thanks. From the number of people who've brought it up I feel like I dodged a bullet

For anyone who maybe doesn't fully get the point of the thread or perhaps didn't have these experiences, this is the "real" answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqWzquBh0c&t=16s

:smith:

That’s got to be the worst trailer I’ve ever seen. A bunch of out of context scenes overlaid with music that doesn’t impart any sense of what’s happening and absolutely no information about the film.

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
When I was home alone as a child, I once channel flipped onto Saw 2 right at the moment when the death mask trap was about to go off, with all the flashing images and loud noises. Didn’t help that I had the volume up. Had trouble sleeping that night.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I know its a game but I was terrified of Doom 64. I figured it was going to be bright because of the PC version but the sound, darkness, and claymation enemies freaked me out. I rented it and eventually hid it until I had to return it it scared me so much. I did end up playing it when it was released to PC a few years ago and was genuinely impressed how good it was.

Nightmare Before Christmas freaked me out too, especially the scene when Santa gets eaten by the cloth monster. That movie really shows off Tim Burton's ability to make deeply unsettling things.

I'm pretty sure my fear of snakes comes from the Indiana Jones movies. I can't be the only one.

Edit: I know they are books but the "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark" series terrified me as a child. The covers were incredibly creepy and the stories were scary to child me. One involved a butcher having a ghost tear his liver out while he was still alive and is the reason why I refuse to touch liver in any way to this day. Also like Doom 64 I hid the book away until I had to return it to the library because just looking at it scared me.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 13, 2023

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

limp_cheese posted:

I know its a game but I was terrified of Doom 64. I figured it was going to be bright because of the PC version but the sound, darkness, and claymation enemies freaked me out. I rented it and eventually hid it until I had to return it it scared me so much. I did end up playing it when it was released to PC a few years ago and was genuinely impressed how good it was.

Nightmare Before Christmas freaked me out too, especially the scene when Santa gets eaten by the cloth monster. That movie really shows off Tim Burton's ability to make deeply unsettling things.

I'm pretty sure my fear of snakes comes from the Indiana Jones movies. I can't be the only one.

Edit: I know they are books but the "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark" series terrified me as a child. The covers were incredibly creepy and the stories were scary to child me. One involved a butcher having a ghost tear his liver out while he was still alive and is the reason why I refuse to touch liver in any way to this day. Also like Doom 64 I hid the book away until I had to return it to the library because just looking at it scared me.

Not just the covers. The illustrations are on par with beksinski and giger work.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My elementary school library had a copy of Scary Stories and kids fought over who got to check it out next. My whole sixth grade class was fiending for their turn with the creepy book. The eyeless undead girl illustration was the gnarliest thing, it was like a dare to open that page.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Ralph Hurley posted:

My elementary school library had a copy of Scary Stories and kids fought over who got to check it out next. My whole sixth grade class was fiending for their turn with the creepy book. The eyeless undead girl illustration was the gnarliest thing, it was like a dare to open that page.

We had to do a project in middle school where we made an advertisement for a book or something like that. I loved the Scary Stories books, but like most, Gammell’s illustrations terrified me. I decided to conquer my fear by making my poster feature his scariest: the corpse lady with no eyes.

They decided to display our posters in the school library. The librarian was intensely awesome, so she put mine right around a shadowy bend in the automotive section or something, so a bunch of jock-y car lovers kept getting jump-scared by it.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Ugh, I also just remembered this weird horror movie from the seventies, Squirm. I was so little when I saw it (on TV sometime in the early eighties, probably). It’s about a town that gets invaded by carnivorous worms after a bad electrical storm.

I’m sure it’s cheesy af now, but Little Ars was pretty scarred by the scene of worms burrowing into a guy’s face. My family went fishing a lot when I was a kid, and after seeing the film I wouldn’t help my brothers pick up earthworms to use as bait/put them on my hook on my own for a while. I think my dad had to buy me some fake ones to use for a few months.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

A while ago I found an address for Stephen Gammel (like a c/o his agent or whatever) and basically wrote him a letter that was like “gently caress you for being so god drat good it traumatized my entire generation, please autograph this dust jacket ” and he did :unsmith:

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Valency posted:

I walked in on my parents watching Full Metal Jacket when I was 7 or 8, at this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVqcfCrOAI

That hosed me up real good. Private Pyle's brains on the wall was seared into my memory for years.

My dad took me to see this in the theater when I was a kid. He was expecting it to be a more traditional action war movie or something. Yeah, it hosed me up pretty good. I spent most of my childhood being terrified of R. Lee Ermey.

Also, this scene from Maximum Overdrive lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGmRdm_oJFQ

When I was a kid, seeing other kids die in movies always really stuck with me.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

SgtScruffy posted:

A while ago I found an address for Stephen Gammel (like a c/o his agent or whatever) and basically wrote him a letter that was like “gently caress you for being so god drat good it traumatized my entire generation, please autograph this dust jacket ” and he did :unsmith:

That’s awesome, lol.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think my parents rented The Cell on DVD at some point and even though I was already well into being a pre-teen or teenager at the time, around 12 or 13 or so, I can vividly remember being vividly struck by some of the scenes in it - the mental image of the horse being sectioned into glass panes while still alive still sticks in my mind to this day. And I think there was another horrific one of someone's intestines being dragged out by a rotating cylindrical torture machine???

Event Horizon, you know the scene. That was a lot for an early teen with a vivid imagination to take in.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I think my parents rented The Cell on DVD at some point and even though I was already well into being a pre-teen or teenager at the time, around 12 or 13 or so, I can vividly remember being vividly struck by some of the scenes in it - the mental image of the horse being sectioned into glass panes while still alive still sticks in my mind to this day. And I think there was another horrific one of someone's intestines being dragged out by a rotating cylindrical torture machine???

Event Horizon, you know the scene. That was a lot for an early teen with a vivid imagination to take in.

theres a part in the venetian snares track Pressure Torture where he samples the part of the movie where the lady in the cell is getting the water sprayed on her and she's crying and saying the lord's prayer which coupled with how intense the track is otherwise really made an impression on me as a teen. disturbing stuff but i really liked that poo poo back then. not that i think it's bad now, i think its a great track and album but it's hard to get through for me these days, too dark.

anyways i hadn't seen The Cell up until a couple years ago and i saw that scene and it was a serious "ohhhhhh! that's where that's from!" moment

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ooh, now I remember a few more. There was an episode of Extreme Ghostbusters that I saw when I was like 9 or 10, I think, where it was just straight up a cartoon adaptation of Hellraiser. There were these hosed up body horror /surgical horror ghosts with their skin sewed up and stitched in incredibly grotesque ways. That one definitely stuck in my brain.

For years, like, well up till when I was an adult, I think, I was absolutely terrified at the scene in Alien where the facehugger popped out the egg. I think it was the sheer tension of it that simply overwhelmed my little brain, and I could not watch it until I was like 18, lol.

I had (and still do to some degree) a visceral reaction of horror and aversion to wormlike, grublike, maggotlike things, so I was also for many many years unable to tolerate watching the scene from The Matrix where the agents hold down Neo and put a wriggling eel-like thing in his bellybutton.

I also covered my eyes at the scene where the scarabs crawl under the dude's skin in The Mummy.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Vastarien posted:

My dad took me to see this in the theater when I was a kid. He was expecting it to be a more traditional action war movie or something. Yeah, it hosed me up pretty good. I spent most of my childhood being terrified of R. Lee Ermey.

Also, this scene from Maximum Overdrive lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGmRdm_oJFQ

When I was a kid, seeing other kids die in movies always really stuck with me.

Maximum Overdrive is a good one. I remember channel surfing looking for cartoons and coming across this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Jq6hKiLUQ&t=33s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm sure it's already been said. But Bambi. That scene where we see the smoke from the hunter's camp and Bambi's mother is just gone. God drat.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Sometimes I think of Benicio del Toro putting the captive bolt cattle gun to the old man's head who is just letting him do so

I wasn't even young when I watched that

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Let's just say that the gang violence depicted in the film Colors was quite eye opening for eight year old me.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Zefiel posted:

Sometimes I think of Benicio del Toro putting the captive bolt cattle gun to the old man's head who is just letting him do so

Yeah that would be weird, they should make that movie someday :rolleye:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ralph Hurley posted:

The eyeless undead girl illustration was the gnarliest thing, it was like a dare to open that page.

For me, it was “Oh, Susannah!”’s illustration that always dealt me great dread. The illustration had absolutely nothing to do with the story, which made it even more terrifying. A giant skull demon erupts from the mist while some dude in a rocking chair prevents a root vegetable from escaping its leash.

What does it have to do with an unseen murderer whistling “Oh, Susannah!”? I don’t know, but I’m scared :ohdear:

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
My favorite thing about these types of threads is how some goons are like: definitely the flying monkeys and Winkie Guards. I didn't see much else as my parents followed ratings guidelines with an additional age buffer until I was married. and others are like I think it would have to be the double feature of Shoah and Faces of Death III that I saw in kindergarten. I'm normal now :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nice obelisk idiot posted:

My favorite thing about these types of threads is how some goons are like: definitely the flying monkeys and Winkie Guards. I didn't see much else as my parents followed ratings guidelines with an additional age buffer until I was married. and others are like I think it would have to be the double feature of Shoah and Faces of Death III that I saw in kindergarten. I'm normal now :)

I'm 100% in the Flying Monkies camp.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Yeah that would be weird, they should make that movie someday :rolleye:

Lol goon face blindness strikes again. This is what I get for not looking up the name of the movie instead, but in my defense it was highly traumatic ok?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
I think it was just late at night and caught one scene from Poltergeist 2 where there is a person in a bathroom and their braces start to twist and unfurl like wire. I didn't even have braces but the thought of all that metal in your mouth moving and coming out their face like an un-spooling cassette tape broke my little mind

Tooth trauma in general :cry:

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I liked Chucky and thought he was funny and wanted a Chucky doll (which either didn't exist or my parents wouldn't get for me) but I used to be totally freaked out about poo poo I heard on the news. I remember being terrified of Andrew Cuanan lol

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That one episode of DBZ where Fat Buu punched Babidi's head clean off

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Randomly I'll remember something from "Ren and Stimpy" and get extremely nauseous.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Extra Large Marge posted:

Randomly I'll remember something from "Ren and Stimpy" and get extremely nauseous.

The one where Ren has to go to the dentist and his teeth fall apart and there's just nerves bothered me for many years.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Extra Large Marge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwI3k6Dik38&t=509s

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Tarkus posted:

The one where Ren has to go to the dentist and his teeth fall apart and there's just nerves bothered me for many years.

That poo poo still bothers me. I think it may have partly caused my body horror issues with teeth (that and needing a root canal young)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Tarkus posted:

I had that one on tape and it never bothered me

Just remembered the hostile belly button entity though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqqD6dISRBQ&t=120s

Pretty sure this made me cry as a kid lol

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Dumbo. Oddly enough, I was a super sheltered little white kid and had no idea how horribly racist the crows were, but the elephants that weren't Dumbo's mom terrified me. I always thought the crows were the heroes because they were the ones, and I think like the only animal besides the mouse, who actually were nice to Dumbo, and who befriended him and sang a song with him and gave him a lucky feather to give him confidence.

Compared to the other elephants who pretty much turn their backs on Dumbo, even said out loud where he could hear that they shouldn't look at him and not talk to him. It was a different kind of scary, not exactly like the Boogeyman in the closet, but a more sad, scary. It made me realize that if I was hurt or lost or crying somewhere, there was a very real chance that people wouldn't help me, or at best would ignore me.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The psychedelic heffalumps nightmare in Winnie the pooh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLnADKgurvc

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dumbo. Oddly enough, I was a super sheltered little white kid and had no idea how horribly racist the crows were, but the elephants that weren't Dumbo's mom terrified me. I always thought the crows were the heroes because they were the ones, and I think like the only animal besides the mouse, who actually were nice to Dumbo, and who befriended him and sang a song with him and gave him a lucky feather to give him confidence.

Compared to the other elephants who pretty much turn their backs on Dumbo, even said out loud where he could hear that they shouldn't look at him and not talk to him. It was a different kind of scary, not exactly like the Boogeyman in the closet, but a more sad, scary. It made me realize that if I was hurt or lost or crying somewhere, there was a very real chance that people wouldn't help me, or at best would ignore me.

Old Disney movies were terrifying.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcysNNc-UdY

and these mutant bad guys. Something terrifying about their costumes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow0LFtIZMQg

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

TK8325 posted:

I had the same fear after watching Rock-a-Doodle. And the creepy owl playing the organ. Basically all of Don Bluth's work was terrifying.

Man, Rock-a-Doodle sucked. LIGHTEN UP DON BLUTH!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Old Disney movies were terrifying.

I remember watching Pinocchio as a kid and not liking or fearing it. It wasn't until I saw it again when I was older that I realized how hosed up Pleasure Island was. As a kid, I was trying to figure out how all this poo poo happened in one or two days, and what kind of whale Monstro was, because I loving loved whales and knew they were too cool to eat some old rear end in a top hat in a boat.

That said I remember Lady and the Tramp, and first time, okay cute dogs, second time a few years old (and after I had seen dogs breeding) I realized why all the dogs were after Lady, and that was scary as gently caress.

Anyone else remember The Black Cauldron? I only cared about what happened to the pig; as soon as she was safe from the bad dudes, I didn't care about the humans on the quest or the cauldron itself.

But Dumbo? gently caress those other elephants. I loved the crows because they were so nice to Dumbo and tried to boost his confidence when no one else even gave him the time of day. Like I said, I was sheltered.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cowslips Warren posted:

You actually got the ill-intended point the movie was trying to make, which was that the crows were indeed the only ones kind to Dumbo because they wanted to make a statement about how marginalized people end up being the ones supporting each other.

But they did it with obviously black-coded characters whose routine was 'based off Vaudeville' (minstrelry) which the white animators had far too much fun 'plusing up'. Just scroll through this post for some awkward defenses of the crows from a 2010 Disney documentary about Dumbo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqKEt2vOgTL/

They are also nowhere near as shocking as the Roustabouts sequence/song which uh. UH. I literally didn't absorb as a kid these were black workers bc they are faceless. The lyrics to their song are super racist, yiiiikes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqT3T3-v63O

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's pretty embarrassing, given how silly the film is, but this scene in Ernest Scared Stupid haunted me for years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RaHFTGDifA