Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sankara posted:

It's pretty embarrassing, given how silly the film is, but this scene in Ernest Scared Stupid haunted me for years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RaHFTGDifA

I think most people agree that movie is far more unsettling than you'd expect from an Ernest flick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The scene in the Star Trek movie with the Borg where Captain Picard gets a needle shoved in his eye made me phobic of needles for a long-rear end time

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Sankara posted:

It's pretty embarrassing, given how silly the film is, but this scene in Ernest Scared Stupid haunted me for years.

The classic bed scare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKb7r82AI4

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I think most people agree that movie is far more unsettling than you'd expect from an Ernest flick

Yeah? That's good. I watched it as an adult in a "face your fears" kind of thing and was shocked at how goofy it was. I built it up a lot worse in my mind. The troll is defeated using milk, for crying out loud!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Sankara posted:

Yeah? That's good. I watched it as an adult in a "face your fears" kind of thing and was shocked at how goofy it was. I built it up a lot worse in my mind. The troll is defeated using milk, for crying out loud!
And a sloppy wet kiss from Ernest, to be fair.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sankara posted:

Yeah? That's good. I watched it as an adult in a "face your fears" kind of thing and was shocked at how goofy it was.

I did the same with the day-O Beetlejuice scene, and if anything, it made me even MORE unsettled. :negative:

That said, I also did it when the crystalline entity episode of Star Trek TNG, and the terrible-by-today's-standards special effects amused the hell out of me.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's like children brains aren't fully developed, or something!!!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Sankara posted:

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. gently caress that movie

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I'll share a movie nobody else will.

In the 90s I was a little kid and I visited my grandparents. They were church-y, old world, never had much money. They said there was a horror movie ("ghost picture") they wanted to watch, they recorded it on the VCR. I was surprised, that's not really their thing, but oh, it wasn't Halloween or Jason or Chucky.
It was a Made for TV movie.
I thought it wouldn't be scary.
It traumatized me for life.

This scene lived in my head 30 years. I finally rediscovered it with some Cinema Discusso help a couple years ago.

Here's the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EniHFE_5ZY&t=2776s - careful of the strobe-like flashing if that bothers you.
starts at 46:19 with "I went to their lecture this afternoon..."
Once it cuts to the POV of the entity coming down the stairs, and the following minute, my whole life was changed. T R A U M A.

I CANNOT EMPHASIS ENOUGH HOW MUCH THIS SCARED THE poo poo OUT OF ME

The POV and slow camera turn, TRAUMA
Her expressionless face and super strength TRAUMA
Her hideous grin and ugly teeth, TRAUMA
Ghosts are scary but one is beating you and it laughs as you scream for help, TRAUMA
Quick cuts to the other large grotesque figures, TRAUMA
Were the kids calling for goodnight or was it a demon playing a trick? TRAUMA

I never even knew it was a r*** scene til I rewatched it a couple years ago. I was probably too young to even know what that was (or didn't understand a woman riding a man while he screams "Get off me!" could mean.) Looking back, there's funny little connections. I know who Jeffrey DeMunn is, the Warrens are popular. I searched for this scene for many years. I think it's still effective.....

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hardawn posted:

I remember a movie where a man pulls his blood stump if a have through his handcuff. He later is gutshot and dies in a hole to then be resurrected. I've never found the title of this movie.

That was Deadpool

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I should mention The Black Hole (1980, Disney). 'Severe childhood trauma' is a little histrionic, but there's plenty to freak out the unwary, including:

* A spooky deserted gothic-architecture spaceship parked by a black hole, in constant imminent danger of doom.
* Cloaked spooky monk servants.
* Who are later revealed to be the original crew, murdered and turned into shrunken wizened zombies underneath their mirrored fencing masks.
* A megalomaniac scientist.
* And his 8 foot tall blood red murder-robot with spinning slice and dice knives for hands.
* That he eviscerates Norman Bates with.
* Even at nine, I had a suspicion that an Indiana Jones-style ball (except its a loving asteroid) rolling right through the centre of the ship might not be plausible, but still.
* Betrayal by Ernest Borgnine, of all people.
* And the end, which is essentially Dante's Inferno by way of 2001 A Space Odyssey. The villain, already dead, being sucked into the black hole, only to later emerge trapped inside the body of his murder robot to view the burning landscape of hell for eternity, while simultaneously the good guys undergo the Disney version of spaghettification.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wow, Disney made a Warhammer 40k film in 1980?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's the only Ernest thing I knew, he didn't make such a big impact here. I must have been about 10 when I saw it, but my little brother and cousin watched it a lot and we all had pretty much unsupervised access to horror movies. Looking back at the clips posted, it's shot like contemporary mid-budget horror movie. I remember most (if not all) of it taking place at night, the locations are all familiar, maybe a little grungy, so there's a level of realism to it. It looks like something like "Night of the Creeps". If it was more expressionistic or heightened, it might actually be less unsettling.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
The Fire Gang from Labyrinth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye0-Bc6u0x8

I don't remember when I first watched the movie, but I do know that I either forgot or repressed almost all of it except for memories of these fuckers happily dismembering themselves on screen. I actually ended up convincing myself that they were a nightmare that I had until friends invited me to watch the movie one night in college, and I proceeded to lose my goddamn mind when my childhood bad dreams suddenly began prancing across the screen.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Not a childhood thing but I had a weird real life Lynchian experience seeing Mulholland Drive that stuck with me. I have a friend who lived in one of the funky little tudor style apartments that the two women break into and find her own horribly decomposing corpse on the bed. When that movie came out my friend had since moved to a different place but I instantly recognized it from the first time I visited him there. I had walked through that same courtyard trying to figure out which place was his, I even knocked on the wrong door like in the movie and the person told me my friend was in a different apartment. Just that weird shot for shot similarity made an already tense and disturbing scene hit a lot harder. After seeing the film I felt the need to call up my friend to make sure he was ok and asked if he had seen Mullholland Drive. He had, and said it was hosed up and that scene might have even been filmed in the actual unit he used to live in. Living in LA you get used to recognizing locations in films and TV but this one was creepy as hell.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Blow posted:

Barbarella.

I was like 5 yo. The biting dolls came to me in my dreams.

:(

My parents took me to see it in the theater. The MPAA rating system was still new, and they didn't understand what the impact it might have on a 5 year old. Definitely the biting dolls. But I also distinctly remember Jane Fonda's boobs in that plastic armor. But not for the same reason as the dolls, so I guess the movie balances out.

Poltergeist

I had graduated from high school when I saw this, but it brought back a childhood trauma. That freaking clown doll. My grandma had bought me one that looked amazingly similar to the doll in the movie. I don't know why she got it for me. I guess she thought every kid needed a clown doll or something. Anyway, my mom put it in a chair right next to my bedroom door. This insured that I would have no escape once the Terror in Motley came to life and began scuttling toward me. My mom insisted that it stay there. I made sure it ended up in the closet under a blanket as often as possible.

Mr Teatime posted:

Darby O'Gill and the Little People

gently caress that movie, 3 year old me did not like that banshee and my parents would put it on all the time.

Yeah, that scared the poo poo out of me.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 15, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

My parents took me to see it in the theater. The MPAA rating system was still new, and they didn't understand what the impact it might have on a 5 year old. Definitely the biting dolls. But I also distinctly remember Jane Fonda's boobs in that plastic armor. But not for the same reason as the dolls, so I guess the movie balances out.

Poltergeist

I had graduated from high school when I saw this, but it brought back a childhood trauma. That freaking clown doll. My grandma had bought me one that looked amazingly similar to the doll in the movie. I don't know why she got it for me. I guess she thought every kid needed a clown doll or something. Anyway, my mom put it in a chair right next to my bedroom door. This insured that I would have no escape once the Terror in Motley came to life and began scuttling toward me. My mom insisted that it stay there. I made sure it ended up in the closet under a blanket as often as possible.

Yeah, that scared the poo poo out of me.

Speaking of demonic dolls, The Amityville Horror had this little rocking chair doll whose eyes opened up and they were red and it haunted me for years.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Keef getting his eyeballs ripped out in Invader Zim hosed me up pretty bad. The organ harvesting I was okay with, not so much the eye trauma.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Torquemada posted:

I should mention The Black Hole (1980, Disney). 'Severe childhood trauma' is a little histrionic, but there's plenty to freak out the unwary, including:

* A spooky deserted gothic-architecture spaceship parked by a black hole, in constant imminent danger of doom.
* Cloaked spooky monk servants.
* Who are later revealed to be the original crew, murdered and turned into shrunken wizened zombies underneath their mirrored fencing masks.
* A megalomaniac scientist.
* And his 8 foot tall blood red murder-robot with spinning slice and dice knives for hands.
* That he eviscerates Norman Bates with.
* Even at nine, I had a suspicion that an Indiana Jones-style ball (except its a loving asteroid) rolling right through the centre of the ship might not be plausible, but still.
* Betrayal by Ernest Borgnine, of all people.
* And the end, which is essentially Dante's Inferno by way of 2001 A Space Odyssey. The villain, already dead, being sucked into the black hole, only to later emerge trapped inside the body of his murder robot to view the burning landscape of hell for eternity, while simultaneously the good guys undergo the Disney version of spaghettification.
One of my reoccurring childhood nightmares was inspired by the end of that film.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

The Fire Gang from Labyrinth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye0-Bc6u0x8

I don't remember when I first watched the movie, but I do know that I either forgot or repressed almost all of it except for memories of these fuckers happily dismembering themselves on screen. I actually ended up convincing myself that they were a nightmare that I had until friends invited me to watch the movie one night in college, and I proceeded to lose my goddamn mind when my childhood bad dreams suddenly began prancing across the screen.

I never liked this scene because I couldn't make out a single drat thing they said.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Speaking of demonic dolls, The Amityville Horror had this little rocking chair doll whose eyes opened up and they were red and it haunted me for years.

When the daughter tells the mom that she scared Jody and went out the window is what gives me the fuckin’ heebie-jeebies to this day. You even hear Jody grunting before seeing the eyes and… gently caress.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Oh did anyone see the Tommyknockers miniseries on ABC? Featured a sheriff getting killed by her doll collection coming to life and pushing heavy stuff off a ledge so it hit her in the head and knocked her prone, whereupon the dolls could finish her off.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Ralph Hurley posted:

Not a childhood thing but I had a weird real life Lynchian experience seeing Mulholland Drive that stuck with me. I have a friend who lived in one of the funky little tudor style apartments that the two women break into and find her own horribly decomposing corpse on the bed. When that movie came out my friend had since moved to a different place but I instantly recognized it from the first time I visited him there. I had walked through that same courtyard trying to figure out which place was his, I even knocked on the wrong door like in the movie and the person told me my friend was in a different apartment. Just that weird shot for shot similarity made an already tense and disturbing scene hit a lot harder. After seeing the film I felt the need to call up my friend to make sure he was ok and asked if he had seen Mullholland Drive. He had, and said it was hosed up and that scene might have even been filmed in the actual unit he used to live in. Living in LA you get used to recognizing locations in films and TV but this one was creepy as hell.
David Lynch was accidentally loving with you using his supranormal TM powers. I'm joking of course, but I feel like if you mentioned that to him, he would have some thoughts on it

For TV, two episodes of The Twilight Zone stand out: the one in which a woman is revealed to be a department store mannequin who has overstayed her chance to live among humans, and the one in which the test pilots violated some law of the universe and are slowly and traumatically unwritten from existence. I really, really didn't like the theme of unnatural existential destruction as a kid.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

You Are A Elf posted:

When the daughter tells the mom that she scared Jody and went out the window is what gives me the fuckin’ heebie-jeebies to this day. You even hear Jody grunting before seeing the eyes and… gently caress.

I read the book the movie was based on well before I saw it, that scene scared the poo poo out of me reading it, the movie part wasn't as impactful.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qfSrN27qo

thunderbirds really hosed me up as a kid. quite a few episodes where i couldn't sleep afterwards, i think because of how the threat in thunderbirds is some kind of impersonal natural disaster that can't be reasoned with, like they;re trapped in a pit in the ground and there's water coming in, or the giant building-city is on fire, or thunderbird 3 in trapped on a collision course with the sun

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Thunderbirds fuckin rules. Of all the Gerry Anderson shows that poo poo absolutely holds up

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I've been watching UFO it rules

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This one got knocked loose from the file room of my brain, but Arcane’s transformation after drinking the formula in Swamp Thing was goddamn nightmare fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Nmq8VOKnY

Those bladders and blood erupting from them, along with the cocoon was terrifying.

Then emerges a Dollar Tree knockoff Rocksteady wrapped in duct tape :stonklol:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dokapon Findom posted:

For anyone who maybe doesn't fully get the point of the thread or perhaps didn't have these experiences, this is the "real" answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqWzquBh0c&t=16s

:smith:

I never got scared from horror movies, laughed at Jaws and even Watership Down didn’t bother me that much, but Plague Dogs kicked me in the nuts with steel-toed boots, emotionally. I watch it every few years when I feel the need to wallow in overwhelming sadness.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
brave little toaster

if you know you know

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The McPherson Tape got aired on TV and was promoted as 'real home recording' and I was a very literal child (I mean I took things literally but yeh I guess also I was literally a kid lol). It set off a multi-year long alien fear that wasn't able to fully subside until the X-Files was off the air (that whole storyline with Mulder's sister, NOPE, NOT OK)

Greys can gently caress right off, my biggest irrational fear is looking out a ground floor window and seeing one of those fuckers staring back at me.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 16, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My dad hired Trainspotting as a kid, and while my parents had no qualms about me watching fantasy violence, something as grounded as that was off limits. Honestly, I think that's a reasonable policy depending on the kid.

Anyway, I wondered through during the scene where Begbie glassed a stranger and then blamed the rest of the bar for it. My dad just said "there's people like that in real life, you know."

Thanks, Dad.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Someone already posted the Deep Red trailer...that loving doll!

As a kid, the previews & commercials for horror movies always hit me hard. When I got older and finally got to see the movies, they were (almost) never as scary as what my weird brain created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7SOqkb_CM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY1oeoVD_zI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsfxVtFScPg

My wife and kids think it's hilarious that I STILL have nightmares about the It's Alive baby monster.

Also, gently caress that doll from Trilogy of Terror! This was a TV MOVIE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nra7OmV1IzE

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 17, 2023

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Disco Pope posted:

My dad hired Trainspotting as a kid, and while my parents had no qualms about me watching fantasy violence, something as grounded as that was off limits. Honestly, I think that's a reasonable policy depending on the kid.

Anyway, I wondered through during the scene where Begbie glassed a stranger and then blamed the rest of the bar for it. My dad just said "there's people like that in real life, you know."

Thanks, Dad.

What about the baby on the ceiling? Even being late teens/early 20s when I saw it, that creeped me right the gently caress out.

Love the movie, though.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

What about the baby on the ceiling? Even being late teens/early 20s when I saw it, that creeped me right the gently caress out.

Love the movie, though.

He kicked me out the room fairly early once a sex scene started (his normal thing was to shout "boobies!" to defuse the tension and then usually the scene would be over once we stopped laughing, but Trainspotting was obviously a bit grittier), so I only saw the Begbie scene when wondering back through. He trusted me to know Aliens couldn't happen (for example), but I was close to 13 then and heroin and street-violence probably wasn't a conversation he wanted to have right then.

My mum worked in bars for a while, so Friday or Saturday night would often involve a takeaway and a film my dad wanted to hire. The only time I really backfired was when my brother was traumatised by Tales From The Crypt:Demon Knight really badly and I had to vow to keep it a secret or our film nights would be through. My brother was always typically braver than me, though, if something wasn't real, he didn't care, even from a very young age. He later admitted being scared of Data from Star Trek, but said he didn't want to cause fuss.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
For a couple days in the early 90s my dad watched the muti-part TV doc "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" and after the first night I'd come to dread when he'd tune in to the subsequent parts (I'd still be able to hear a lot of it even if I was in another room). My five year-old self was disturbed by the very idea that someone could kill the President, and the whole air of mystery and conspiracy mongering was deeply unsettling.

Oh, and loving slow-mo blow-ups of the Zapruder film so you can see grainy blurry footage of JFK's brains getting blown out his head right in front of his wife, all underlined by a deep sinister synthesizer chord on the soundtrack straight out of Unsolved Mysteries, just in case the footage wasn't creepy enough.

Looking it up on Wikipedia, turns out this docuseries has quite a history of having controversial material added and removed over the years. This particular airing sounds like it was in its least salacious form.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Thanks, Dad.

That's an important lesson that's pretty hard to impart IRL because the second part is "so learn to recognize them and be somewhere else when they show up"

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

For TV, two episodes of The Twilight Zone stand out: the one in which a woman is revealed to be a department store mannequin who has overstayed her chance to live among humans, and the one in which the test pilots violated some law of the universe and are slowly and traumatically unwritten from existence. I really, really didn't like the theme of unnatural existential destruction as a kid.

Twilight Zone Season One is hardcore. My favorite is "Third From The Sun"

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

temple posted:

Also Return of the Living Dead 3. Such a weird mix of horny and existential horror.

Even though it was a goofy dark comedy, the original Return of the Living Dead was traumatizing when I saw it in my early teens. The cadaver and the taxidermied animals waking up and feeling pain, Frank and Freddy getting sicker and sweatier and more panicked after being exposed to the zombie gas, the unkillable zombies who won't die unless you incinerate them and even then the smoke will drift around and create more zombies. I definitely had an "aha" moment later on when I read that Dan O'Bannon wrote Alien. The sense of panic and despair. The gratuitous female nudity. The forbidden pods containing some horrible thing that, if disturbed, will take over your body and use it for its own purposes while you writhe in agony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Dick Jones posted:

Even though it was a goofy dark comedy, the original Return of the Living Dead was traumatizing when I saw it in my early teens. The cadaver and the taxidermied animals waking up and feeling pain, Frank and Freddy getting sicker and sweatier and more panicked after being exposed to the zombie gas, the unkillable zombies who won't die unless you incinerate them and even then the smoke will drift around and create more zombies.
Yeah the taxidermied animals reanimating was super hosed up and disturbing. Thanks to the "send more paramedics" scene, every time I first turn on my car headlights on a rainy night, part of my subconscious expects to see an illuminated zombie horde.

The 3rd film bothered me a lot more than the first, since it featured a young couple where one of them dies and the other brings her back. Only, of course, she isn't exactly herself anymore thanks to the Trioxin. I was about the same age as the main characters when I saw it, and in a serious relationship, so all that was pretty hard-hitting.

quote:

I definitely had an "aha" moment later on when I read that Dan O'Bannon wrote Alien. The sense of panic and despair. The gratuitous female nudity. The forbidden pods containing some horrible thing that, if disturbed, will take over your body and use it for its own purposes while you writhe in agony.
His Wikipedia article says "He credited his experiences with Crohn's for inspiring the chest-bursting scene from Alien." And he died of Crohn's, a disease that I know can be deeply unpleasant. So I guess that bit about bodies being painfully taken over by foreign entities was autobiographical. :smith: