Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The little troll in Stephen King’s Cat’s Eye. Sometimes I would be afraid to fall asleep for fear that it would be in my room waiting to steal my breath.

The dead construction worker in The Gate. I was just waiting for the moment his corpse would fall out of my wall.

The 1988 Blob. Saw it in theaters new and it just completely hosed me up because all bets were off as to who could die, including the kid in the sewers.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

happyhippy posted:

I knew I was a horror fan from the start, so films never got me even if gory or such.I remember when 8 or 9 watching From Beyond, where the guy gets skeletonized, and thought it was great effects.

:same: I grew up watching more horror movies than children’s movies due to my two older sisters’ love of them. Saw so much ‘80s and early ‘90s horror in theaters and on VHS/cable that I was more impressed by the special effects than the actual gore or scares. I remember watching Hellraiser and Hellraiser II in theaters (lol) and thinking the Cenobites looked rad as gently caress.

The things that frightened me more were the tamer things in horror like the troll in Cat’s Eye or Torrez being torn apart by zombies in Day of the Dead where his vocal cords are slowly severed and his screams get higher pitched; absolutely chilling.

But yeah, if we’re talking about kid’s movies, Gmork in The Neverending Story, combined with his musical cue of stinging strings was and always will send shivers down my spine and a deep primal fear in my soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6u4WHIwco

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The earliest moment I can ever recall being terrified by a movie was being a wee lad in the early ‘80s watching Time Bandits. R-R-R-R-RETURN WHAT YOU HAVE STOLEN FROM ME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut23WARAm7A

Now I love Tony Jay’s voice and Terry Gilliam’s animation in that sequence so much, but goddamn was that frightening to young Elf. I was afraid to look out my window for fear of a giant disembodied head shrouded in fog looking right at me.

Ars Arcanum posted:

One thing that really effed me up was an episode from the tv series Tales From The Darkside. My parents were ridiculously liberal in what they let my brothers and I watch as kids, so we regularly watched the show. There’s an episode in which a young lady goes to live in an apartment belonging to one of her teachers or something, and there’s a tiny closet in her bedroom that strongly resembles the entrance to the storage areas in my childhood home (which I was already afraid of). The girl is eventually killed by a horrific monster that I guess was the professor’s malformed daughter? Cue nightmares for years.

I looked it up a few years ago and the theme song still sends me into absolute dread, and I looked up the puppet they used for the freaky daughter/monster and I was still scared of it.

I remember that episode! The daughter creature looked like some malformed humanoid centipede or something.

The OG Unsolved Mysteries theme song still sends shivers down my spine to this day, especially the change at 0:55 where the organ kicks in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8

Also, this commercial for Time-Life’s Mysteries of the Unknown used to make me feel real uneasy for the same reason as Tales From the Darkside and Unsolved Mysteries: the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4zBYh2PUyk

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ralph Hurley posted:

The eyeless undead girl illustration was the gnarliest thing, it was like a dare to open that page.

For me, it was “Oh, Susannah!”’s illustration that always dealt me great dread. The illustration had absolutely nothing to do with the story, which made it even more terrifying. A giant skull demon erupts from the mist while some dude in a rocking chair prevents a root vegetable from escaping its leash.

What does it have to do with an unseen murderer whistling “Oh, Susannah!”? I don’t know, but I’m scared :ohdear:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Speaking of demonic dolls, The Amityville Horror had this little rocking chair doll whose eyes opened up and they were red and it haunted me for years.

When the daughter tells the mom that she scared Jody and went out the window is what gives me the fuckin’ heebie-jeebies to this day. You even hear Jody grunting before seeing the eyes and… gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This one got knocked loose from the file room of my brain, but Arcane’s transformation after drinking the formula in Swamp Thing was goddamn nightmare fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Nmq8VOKnY

Those bladders and blood erupting from them, along with the cocoon was terrifying.

Then emerges a Dollar Tree knockoff Rocksteady wrapped in duct tape :stonklol: