Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Wednesday have just about cobbled together a matchday 18 over the last 10 days or so, and the accounts were poo poo-but-not-as-poo poo-as-feared, so I'm slightly more confident of finishing 21st rather than fully expecting 24th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Expected to get loving walloped so I’m not losing my poo poo about losing 2-1.

Some of the talent and ability in that Southampton team is silly for this level. When they got the ball down and started playing we couldn’t live with it. Looked every bit like a bunch of League One players meeting a Premier League team in The Championship. We’ll learn more about our prospects for the season in the next 2 games against Hull and Preston.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Breath Ray posted:

positive night for wednesday. if palmer doesnt switch off we draw that one. delgado looked decent and our strategy of scoring with big bad bastards from set pieces paid off

Like the look of Musaba too. Big strong lad with pace whose first instinct is to run at defenders. How long has it been since we had a player like that? Can’t wait to see him get going.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ungratek posted:

Love that Venkys is still on the Blackburn shirt

The second divisions most trusted authority on poultry.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Dem Blades might be the next big EFL financial disaster even after this seasons windfall, and have gone for the "sell your top scorer, midfield general and don't replace any of the creativity you had on loan" approach to Premier League survival. If Leeds have got literally any money at all, he should probably go there. Or stay at Cov.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Wednesday have won.

File under “loving hell!”

Dell_Zincht posted:

Uh....about that

Mike Ashley is a truly dreadful human being and an asset stripper, but for a lot of EFL clubs his ownership would be a straight and clear upgrade.

Newcastle were a stable Premier League club for his entire tenure there, save for the two Championship seasons that they were promoted from at a canter, before selling them on to better things. For Reading, that sounds favourable to liquidation or being wound up.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Chansiri's fundamental misunderstanding of what owning a football club (or just a business) entails is loving laughable. We're owned by a narcissist who did absolutely zero due diligence when he bought the loving thing.

The important context to his constant desire for the fans to stump up more and more cash to cover the bills is that we have an average gate of 26,000 who have paid anything upto £800 for a season ticket or upto £59 pay on the gate, to watch a team that's only just sneaked it's first win of the season before Halloween and hasn't been in the Premier League for 23 years. In any sane world he should be on his knees grovelling to half of the fanbase and the other half should be sectioned.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Wednesday fans, as a collective, do have a pathological delusion that we're bigger than we actually are in 2023. We're arguably exactly where we should be as a club, table wise, right now imo.

I think this a constantly evolving thing that depends on who you ask. Wednesday are a historic club, but "big clubs" don't spend over 2 decades outside the top division. We've also been left behind massively by the modern game in terms of structure and resources. Our neighbors are a handy analogy, unfortunately. I'd argue that we are a "bigger" club than United until I'm blue in the face, but their recent Premier League exposure, relative success compared to us over the last 20+ years, social media followings etc, make this a hard argument to win to any neutral or modern fan in all honesty. There's only so much weight that having a bigger trophy cabinet can carry, especially when all but 1 of them were won in the 1930's or earlier.

In my experience the aspiration amongst our fanbase now is just for some stability without making GBS threads ourselves every few years. I'm fine with The Championship and I think most are. I'd love for Wednesday to just be a consistent, stable presence in this division that with the right rub of the green and some capable planning can think about a decent play-off tilt. Essentially our aspiration right now is to be Middlesborough or Preston.

Under this chairman we're absolutely miles off that.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

WEDNESDAY NOT DEAD YET MOTHERFUCKERS

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Jose posted:

any teams done any new financial crimes?

It stretches the definition of “new”, but January usually means Wednesday will start selling the early bird season tickets to front load the accounts for the next year, not sign anyone in January, several months of speculation that we’re in an embargo before that’s confirmed in the summer, and an unhinged rant from the Chairman that it’s the “customers” fault.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

paddyboat posted:

insanely sick goals flying in everywhere from *checks notes* Sheffield Wednesday

The way Danny Rohl has turned us from the least competitive Championship outfit I've ever seen, to getting us right back in the mix at the turn of the year, has got to be one of the most impressive jobs in the EFL so far this year. Out of absolutely nowhere we seem to have found a really positive, young attacking front 3 in Gassama, Musaba and Cadamarteri.

He's destined for the top. Almost certainly not with us, but he'll do alright.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

sebzilla posted:

Son of Danny?

Far too much of that sort of thing going on at the moment, making me feel old. Ian Wright's grandson is 22 for gently caress's sake.

Yep. I remember Danny breaking through at Everton so to see his son come through for us is definitely weird. He's part of our youth coaching setup and I believe both his sons are in our system. Bailey has been hitting the goals for a while at youth level but for him to come into the first team and make such a difference straight away is definitely a delightful surprise.

Gassama is from PSG and Musaba from Monaco, so there's a decent pedigree there that Rohl is actually getting a tune from. To have some young attacking talent contracted for multiple years is definitely a welcome change from any other time in the Chansiri era.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Wayne Rooney's Birmingham City can be temporarily rebranded to Birmingham City, subject to approval of the new title; Frank Lampard's Birmingham City.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Sometimes when teams are relegated it's simply due to a complete aberration or a glitch in the matrix.

I'm pretty sure if Leicester were in the Prem this year, with the exact same coaching and player personnel they have now, they'd be safely mid table. I don't really know what went wrong for them last year, but as someone who has been forced to closely follow the EFL for 24 years, I can't remember a team ever coming down in better shape than Leicester. Maybe the 2 times Newcastle came down and won it first go at a canter - but even then Leicester are probably better positioned for their inevitable return.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mainwaring posted:

Part of it is maybe that last season was just incredibly close the the bottom of the premier league, I think at one point halfway through the season there was 3 points separating 18th and 10th. Made it quite easy for typically mid table teams to have a few bad results and end up in relegation trouble.

Yeah I think that's fair. The issue when it's tight is that teams who didn't expect to be involved can sleep walk towards trouble and by the time it really sinks in, it's too late. I seem to remember Leicester actually getting relegated feeling like a really abstract, weird thing to consider until there were about 3 games left, and by that point it looked like their heads had gone.

Don't think it's too unfair to suggest that the 3 sides who dropped last year were substantially better than the 3 who replaced them. Potentially still are.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I mean yeah that's a recipe for relegation right there and it should have sunk in quicker than it did.

But the prior season Southampton, Leeds and Everton all finished just above the drop and were favourites to struggle again. Forest were pegged to be down there as a newly promoted club. Maybe Bournemouth too, who folk always tip to struggle. Leicester finished 8th in 21/22.

They weren't circling the drain for years, still had (and have) talent, aren't regarded as a debt ridden crisis club (certainly not in EFL or Everton terms) and have raked in a ton of money from player sales since dropping. There's no denying how much they stunk last year but for Leicester to go down absolutely does feel like an outlier, and like I say, I can't remember seeing a relegated team approach a Championship season in any better shape as a club. Leicester are completely fine, are strolling back up and I don't expect to see them back down here again for years.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I’m a match going fan, or at least a lapsed one. First went to Hillsborough in 1995 and have been to.. a few hundred I guess games since. I’ve done 56 of the 92 as an away fan.

Seen some stuff over that time but I think supporter behaviour in general has just become extremely tiresome. Today it’s some racist twat doing monkey gestures. Before it was the 2 clowns holding up the picture of Bradley Lowry. Beyond my club, we’re a week removed from a Coventry banner taunting a helicopter crash, which itself was about a week on from Millwall fans gesturing about the same thing. Then there’s all the usual grief chanting etc..

And every time you go it seems like half the fellas on the terraces are off their tits on marching powder. Especially the young lads.

I’ve got young kids now and it’s no sure thing that I’ll pass on going to games as a thing. I honestly don’t feel in a rush to take them. I’m just sick of it. It’s loving shameful some of the stuff that’s going on.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Hedgehog Pie posted:

You might get some grief for this post but I know where you're coming from and it's exactly why I'll probably never go to a league football match ever again.

Looks like I've avoided any grief but I have to ask - which bit of my post did you think I would get grief for?

The one bit I would like to clarify is that bringing up the Coventry banner and Millwall is not a deflection. I do think there are wider societal problems that are impacting football in this country further than just individual clubs - any of them - but that's not a deflection from my utter disgust at Wednesday specifically and how a section of our fans have behaved recently. At it again on Friday and I'm not really buying anything about it being a minority. This club hasn't made it easy to be a fan of for a long time but I've never been as utterly ashamed of it as I am at the minute.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Short of Luton staying up or Ipswich getting promoted, Wednesday's last 12 months has got to be the most "well, loving hell" achievement in English football if we manage to add survival to the way we got promoted last year.

I thought we were dead and buried. We were dead and buried. We looked about as uncompetitive relative to the division we're in as it's possible to imagine (kudos to our neighbours for taking that particular honour instead).

I'm expecting zero points from the next 2 games against Leeds and Ipswich, but if we can get through those 2 games and still be 3-4 points in touch with the rest of the pack, I fancy us.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 7, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Birmingham and QPR are carrying by far the strongest "how the gently caress have you avoided League One for this long?" energy as they continually circle the plug hole like troublesome clogs of hair. It is vital for the integrity of the EFL that they suffer ASAP.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

How dare you question the integrity of the Endsleigh Nationwide Coca-Cola npower Sky Bet

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

There is a horrible underlying atmosphere around the place at the minute.

The morons seem to have taken over. Around where I sit, on Friday night even describing the drug taking as an "open secret" would probably be overstating it - people just didn't give a poo poo. Too many absolutely yobs feeling enabled to go off however they like and use the football as an excuse.

Blaming the club's current ownership feels like excuse making, but I've been going for 30 years and we've been poo poo and skint for the vast majority of that time, and I've never felt as negative about the experience of going as I do at the minute. It legitimately feels like budgets around things like stewarding and ground safety have been slashed. I genuinely think you can feel the state of the club around the place.

We're a shambling zombie club and Danny Rohl can only carry only footballing positivity by himself for so long. There's clearly no money, certainly no hope, plan or direction, and the plummeting standards around literally everything else about the club have now seeped into the basic security and safety around the ground. If we get slapped with a game or two behind closed doors, the club probably deserves it and just add it to the list of our accomplishments under this charlatan.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Inclined to say shame on Wycombe as well for capitalising on it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Not often you get humped 6-0 and it makes no difference.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I'd be enjoying the LOL of the promotion race a lot more if it didn't keep handing ridiculous points to relegation rivals at the bottom end.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

chaoslord posted:

West Brom really trying to find a way out of the playoffs the last couple of matchdays, I dont think we can quite screw this up with the next match being against Sheffield Wednesday, but we just dont look up for a push in the playoffs at all

I know playing against sides with nothing to play for is always dangerous, but as a Wednesday fan I’m hoping your play off place is secure before kick off.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I loving love it though. McKenna probably deserves manager of the season, but Rohl has done the rescue job of the century. We might have an awful job on keeping him.

There are 3 outcomes from here with Rohl;

1.) Another club pinches him and pays the compensation
2.) He stays
3.) He walks of his own motivation

Can’t do anything about 1 and you’d have to understand it as a fan. I get the impression that he’d genuinely like 2 and properly embed what he wants to do. But if he doesn’t get the assurances and backing he needs to do that, we’ll end up with 3. Only saving grace to 3 is surely that would be the penny dropping moment for the last holdouts, who still need convincing why DC needs to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Danny

loving

Rohl