Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Helios Ending: Helios has already betrayed someone and he'll probably betray you too and use your body as a meat puppet. Even if he doesn't, JC doesn't really come off as a particularly great candidate for godhood.

Illuminati Ending: Helios might betray you, but the Illuminati are pretty clearly already using you as a tool in the ending cutscene.

Dark Age Ending: As gets explained in game, it's not an end to technology, it's an end to global communications. There's a theory that the sustainable size of empires is determined by for far they can exert influence; IE, if the fastest travel method is a horse, empires can't survive for long beyond several days horse ride from the capital. This is Tong's take - that the reason shadowy conspiracies can control the world is because they can influence all of it via global communications. Destroying that won't be permanent, but it will be mashing a big reset button and giving humanity a chance to do better.

I always went Dark Age. Tong is the only one whose motivations are selfless, and that meant a lot to me as a kid, and I was optimistic enough to think that maybe with another shot humanity would find a better way. And it also has the best music. However I admit I never considered that it would mess with the vaccine distribution like another poster brought up, which it totally would, so opps. Good thing I'm not actually responsible for making world shaking decisions.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

aniviron posted:

It's also not just interfering with communications in the sense that disrupting communications makes people unable to talk to one another to coordinate things like vaccine distributions. Deus Ex is a dystopian setting after all, so everything is internet-of-things connected and the implication is that destroying the internet also takes down the power grid, road networks, and governments connected to it. The game mentions that Helios, for example, is able to override basically every electronic system and uses that to issue orders and take measures to take control of Hong Kong even before the game ends.

The dark age ending is an ending which results in not millions but billions of deaths, unequivocally. It is what the name implies, a dark age. Tong clearly means it this way too - his last words are, "We'll start again, live in villages!"

Basically, he's arguing for the death of most of the human population in the hopes that reducing the world to squabbling tribes will work out better this time. I don't think he's read much history.

My take on it is he's using "villages" as a reference to communities on a smaller scale, where people know each other instead of being ruled by someone far away. Deus Ex is a setting where the internet can control everything, but not where it all stops working if the internet goes down (which probably would have seemed silly at the time the game was made - ah, more innocent days).

Here's the conversation where he explains it:

TONG
As long as technology has a global reach, someone will have the world in the
palm of his hand. If not Bob Page, then Everett, Dowd...

JC DENTON
Another Stone Age would hardly be an improvement.

TONG
Not so drastic. A dark age, an age of city-states, craftsmen, government on a
scale comprehensible to its citizens.

No one ever talks about a collapse of technology or the billions of deaths that would cause, which seems like something they would, you know, mention. Tong's a guy that has a secret high tech development lab under a mafia compound; he not going to think technology will collapse just because everyone's living in city states.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 10, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

This is making me remember how loving disappointed I was at the ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Well, honestly, most of that whole game was a disappointment but the ending especially so. I loved the way the ending of the original slowly gave you the ways to unlock the endings as you traversed through the final levels doing things you had to do anyway. Then you also have to go to different parts of the map and the different enemies might and challenges might make it more difficult to actually do your preferred ending, though you were quite strong by the end. It wasn't just loving buttons on console you hack fucks.

As for the ending, I always chose Become God, but I won't pretend that's necessarily the moral one. I don't remember canonically if the Grey Death can continue without Page running his universal constructors but if that is an unknown then I have trouble imagining you can pick that as a moral option since as mentioned before without Ambrosia it will just pummel the population so much worse than the catastrophe already would. Maybe you could justify the Illuminati by saying if the system is maintained then there is still time to reform or destroy it, but that is likely naive, especially if they have Helios. What are the deaths of the existing population as compared to the unjust suffering of however many following generations under their rule? It's tough to unpick.

So I'm just going to let God sort it out. Me. I'm God now.

Yeah. I got into the final stage on Human Revolution, the various characters started trying to sell my on their visions for the future, I start to think this is going to be really awesome, and.. then it's a poorly designed boss followed by "press one of these buttons" and then a generic cutscene trying to wax philosophical that doesn't actually cover what the result actually is. I mean, for that last part I guess they were trying to keep things open for a sequel but it just made it feel extra tepid.

As I recall with DX1, the grey death didn't actually spread person to person, and by the end there were alternate sources for ambrosia. But interrupting global supply chains would interfere with the distribution and kill most of the people already infected, which was probably millions.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 12, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

I like getting the GEP from Paul and almost before he's finished talking to you about taking him alive firing a rocket into the statue where the NSF boss is. Gunther is salty as gently caress you didn't come rescue him after his 5 seconds of incarceration that you immediately ended lol.

I always liked the fact that Paul was happy you took the rocket launcher, since blowing up bots doesn't bother him like sniping humans does. The idea that you'd use a rocket launcher on people doesn't seem to occur to him.