Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Helios is an exceptionally lazy ending that lets the player get away with not actually making a decision that impacts the world of the game, instead allowing the player to imagine the ending they want by giving the player character total authoritarian control.

Fallout New Vegas doesn't end with the Courier running the strip. The city state ending relies on player choices with the factions but ultimately it's up to the factions themselves to determine the fate of New Vegas.

The Helios ending in comparison is a total narrative cop out. I think there's something to an authoritarian ending, giving supreme power to some dude who really really promises he won't use it for monstrous evil is a fun decision to have to make, but it should have been an NPC in the story you had to take a chance on, not JC.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The best example of this sort of ending is Djikstra from the Witcher 3, a pretty shady guy that works in military intelligence but with a silver tongue and some lofty ideas. Do you take a chance and overthrow the monarchy to install him as ruler of Redania?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Reveilled posted:

It's been so long, I don't remember how the logic of destroy internet -> new dark age worked.

Like, there'd be a major short term disruption, sure, but I can't remember why Tong thought removing a technology that is less than 100 years old somehow would revert the entire planet back to living in villages. Even if it's somehow impossible to rebuild the internet, how long does it take to get some telegraph lines up and running again?

Tong is one of those terminally online people that thinks whatever is happening on Twitter at any given moment is the single most important thing in the world.

He's the sort of guy with a lot of things to say about Elon Musk and shutting down the internet is shutting down his whole world. It's more of a metaphor, really.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Typo posted:

yeah I think the Helios ending is the only "good" ending, in the sense at least there's -hope- that things will be better for humanity

maybe Helios-JC destroy the human Race, but who knows, maybe benevolent AI will cure Alzheimers and Cancer and bring about a classless society

It's the fun thing about authoritarianism. We're able to look at a totalitarian leader and imagine all the good they could do with all that power, when in reality without democratic systems in place the only person they're able to represent with all of that power is themselves and their own incredibly limited world view.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Rappaport posted:

Do city builders count as a power fantasy? Usually the player is the omnipotent god-king, i.e. the mouse cursor telling everybody what to do, so it kinda fulfills the narcissistic part I guess. But for example in Timberborn, which is still in early access, the current "number go up" - goal is trying to make your little buddies as happy as possible, as measured by the game's abstracted over-all happiness tracking system. Of course the game's mechanics do allow for formation of starvation gulags, so :shrug:

Absolutely. Building real cities involves getting involved in community activist groups and joining local politics. What I wouldn't give to just plop a billion dollar railway system through my city.

The beavers don't have a say in any of it. Just because you're catering to their needs doesn't make it not a totalitarian power fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
There's no such thing as benevolent totalitarianism.