Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This is making me remember how loving disappointed I was at the ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Well, honestly, most of that whole game was a disappointment but the ending especially so. I loved the way the ending of the original slowly gave you the ways to unlock the endings as you traversed through the final levels doing things you had to do anyway. Then you also have to go to different parts of the map and the different enemies might and challenges might make it more difficult to actually do your preferred ending, though you were quite strong by the end. It wasn't just loving buttons on console you hack fucks.

As for the ending, I always chose Become God, but I won't pretend that's necessarily the moral one. I don't remember canonically if the Grey Death can continue without Page running his universal constructors but if that is an unknown then I have trouble imagining you can pick that as a moral option since as mentioned before without Ambrosia it will just pummel the population so much worse than the catastrophe already would. Maybe you could justify the Illuminati by saying if the system is maintained then there is still time to reform or destroy it, but that is likely naive, especially if they have Helios. What are the deaths of the existing population as compared to the unjust suffering of however many following generations under their rule? It's tough to unpick.

So I'm just going to let God sort it out. Me. I'm God now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Typo posted:

The DX:HR was actually a pretty good game mechnically but the ending was garbage both in terms of plot and it's gameplay implementation

Yeah, honestly, the 'day to day' physical shooting was good, and I liked it for the first several hours. The fundamental issues were the plot sucked, the non-lethal options were poorly supported at launch (I preordered this game because I'm a loving moron, so if they fixed it I don't know), and you were swimming in enough praxis points to have all the augs. That itself was mostly an issue since many augs were just "remove X challenge" like "Always know the answer to the tiresome mass effect convo" or "basically instakill the boss" or whatever.

The original made you pick between augs: fast running or silent running, breath water or breath toxins, invisible to humans or invisible to robots, regeneration or some garbo I ever picked. You had to find a way to make your skills and augs work. I remember having an issue sending the signal from the top of the building about 1/3 of the way through the original since it alerts all the guards I was stealthing past. I had taken the fast running aug early because getting around the large maps in non-combat was taking a while, and it was fun, even though I was doing a stealth run. Well, turns out that aug also gives you increased fall resistance, so I just turned it on and jumped off the 4th floor, severely hurt myself but didn't die and hobbled my way back to the subway station. If that was in HR, it would have been "If you would like to skip this challenge, press X now."

DE:HR is similar to Fallout 4 in that way. Technically impressive and mechanically fun to play, but just a series of doldrums laid overtop of it like Miracle Whip.

fake edit: I keep forgetting this isn't a games thread. Oh well.