Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kind of interesting to see whether opinions shift as we get closer to "real" AI. On the other hand, the AI in the game isn't just a reflection of its creators, but a true rebellious intelligence.

Conversely, as the "end of history" capitalist technocracy of the 90s becomes more and more a vanished golden age, I assume more people would lean towards the Illuminati.

What the video doesn't show off is just how well the game displays the arguments for and against each ending, not just on the part of characters who are in favor of different outcomes but also via the experiences JC undergoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Typo posted:

maybe Helios-JC destroy the human Race, but who knows, maybe benevolent AI will cure Alzheimers and Cancer and bring about a classless society
Just a fair(er) allocation of existing resources would improve everyone's lives in a way that we would now call Utopian.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tree Reformat posted:

True, and it's here we arrive at the core issue with basically all video game storytelling: the medium is inherently narcissistic in that the player is literally the most important person involved. Any attempts to make NPC characters in a single-player game more important than the player character in the narrative feels (rightly or wrongly) as a direct attack on the player's agency, and we see what a disaster getting lots of real players in a single room can cause with poo poo like MMOs and VRChat and such.
That assumes that every game has to be a power fantasy with the player determining the fate of whatever. Meanwhile, Disco Elysium (cue 20 page manifesto).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah that’s not what modern historiographical consensus claims.
A *lot* of pop historians go with "was the collapse of the Roman empire a bad thing? Maybe if you like living in cities or being alive, period, buuuuuuuuuuuut"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like the alternative take would also necessarily be "the roman empire should have conquered everywhere and ruled forever" which at the very least is ahistorical.
Long divided, must unite; long united etc etc.

The Eastern empire regaining control of at least the core portions of the West was not an untenable proposition. Or any of the self-titled 3d, 4th, 21st Romes actually controlling the approximate same territory.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Trent posted:

I thought Deus Ex was one of those games people re-installed then played the first hour of
Yes.

quote:

before modding the gently caress out of it, lol
There's no way to mod DE not to have DE gameplay. The best mods are still Deus Ex, just more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Typo posted:

justinian actually came very close to doing so
Yeah. What I meant.

quote:

the plague of justinian hit in the middle of the reconquest and killed something like 40%-50% of the empire's population
That seems a bit high. A lot of new info cropped up over the past 15 years?