Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yes Man's endings are effectively the same as the Helios ending: The player controls a super computer and rules the world (presumably until the next hero strolls along). Whether or not that's a better ending than the others sort of depends on whether you support benevolent dictatorship / "total liberty for the good guys" or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The bot is called Yes Man and it does whatever you tell it to do. The player can do whatever they want at that point. It’s the definition of dictatorship.

I don’t want to come across as completely rejecting where you’re coming from. I agree that it’s intended to be the most “laissez faire” ending where things just work out according to whatever the player set in motion. But like the Helios ending, the concept relies heavily on the idea that the player has moral certitude and that giving them absolute power is ultimately best for everyone. Maybe the Courier benevolently walks off into the sunset, but New Vegas is still being ruled by martial law according to their chosen principles, and they are the only one who can change that. JC Denton’s control of Helios represents the same sort of thing: An enforced resolution that no one else is ever allowed to contest, and is as good or evil as the player wishes to believe.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 8, 2023