Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Blues and Bullets is an unfinished episodic adventure game, of which only two out of a promised five episodes were ever released. While it received generally positive reviews, the game did not sell very well, and the developer, A Crowd of Monsters, folded in 2016.

The game takes place in an alternate history where Elliot Ness retired to run a diner called "Blues and Bullets", in which he serves the most delicious blueberry pie. Of course, he gets dragged back in for one last case, working together with an aging Al Capone and an affable mob enforcer who studied cooking in prison and wants to learn the secret behind Ness' delicious blueberry pie.

While the game was never finished - and we will never learn the resolution to the mystery - it features some interesting game design and cool aesthetics, which I think are worth showing off. Just be prepared that the ending will be frustrating. It will be ... like blue bullets in your heart.

Episode 1 - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1C06Sciutk

Episode 1 - Part 2 - The Grand Hindenburg Hotel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3gD3BwI0F0

Episode 1 - Part 3 - The Murder Investigation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFakPqwzwg

Episode 1 - Part 4 - Episode Finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fc6_wKdf44

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Interesting. There is a definite Noir vibe to everything here, from the colours (and lack there-of) to the way the characters are portrayed. I'll watch this for as far as it goes. And thanks!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Thank you :)

Now, for some audience participation: Should I play Ness as kind and forgiving or as a real hard-rear end?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I’ve only played the telltale games for Monkey Island and Sam and Max but I can definitely see the influence.

It doesn’t seem like behaving either way will really affect the story so I suggest playing Ness the way you think he’d react in the moment.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I don't remember if I bought and played the entire first episode or if there was only a demo, but I liked what I got to try. Didn't love it though. Shame there wasn't an ending, but them's the breaks.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kind of reminds me of all those 2000s era episodic games that had big first releases but got nowhere. Sin Episodes. Anachronox. Half Life 2 Episode 3. Not really a big fan of the episodic format if it depends on the success of initial episodes to fund the later episodes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

sb hermit posted:

Anachronox.
Anachronox was a complete game, but it presupposed getting a sequel to deal with the cliffhanger. I would think that Advent Rising would be a better example for the point you're making.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

berryjon posted:

Anachronox was a complete game, but it presupposed getting a sequel to deal with the cliffhanger. I would think that Advent Rising would be a better example for the point you're making.

Maybe! I have not played advent rising though. I remember it getting a lot of hype and not much else.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Episode 1 - Part 2 - The Grand Hindenburg Hotel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3gD3BwI0F0

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone on Youtube asked if there had been any attempt to finish the story elsewhere. For the record, this is the last update the developers made about the game:

There was never an official cancellation, but I think it's unlikely we will ever get any follow-up by now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Last update 7 years ago? Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. And we're done the first chapter already? That's a short intro. Hopefully the other chapter is longer.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

Last update 7 years ago? Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. And we're done the first chapter already? That's a short intro. Hopefully the other chapter is longer.

Oh, no, this was only the introduction to the first episode. We still have about two thirds of the episode left, and then there is the second episode. I expect the LP to be about a dozen videos in total.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 7, 2023

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Oh, phew. You had me worried when you said that this was the credits sequence. I thought you meant END credits.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Episode 1 - Part 3 - The Murder Investigation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFakPqwzwg

We're back, with a video showing off the neat investigation system! While I like the system, I do wish the actual events being investigated were a bit less over-the-top. I would love to see this approach used in a more gritty, down-to-earth detective game.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 26, 2023

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Well, that's certainly a crime. WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Episode 1 - Part 4 - Episode Finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fc6_wKdf44

Since the latest episode was delayed, here is a shorter bonus update, finishing Episode 1. This episode is 50% ending credits, but they are good and interesting credits, so I recommend watching them all the way through.