Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

an acer netbook from the late 2000s that isn’t being used because I pillaged the ssd from it a while ago, and it’s small enough that it can sit in my box of old electronics in my closet so I haven’t thrown it away yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i still have my 15" powerbook from 2005

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sweevo posted:

booooop BEEP

Cool computer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i still have my 15" powerbook from 2005

i still have my mbp rev. a from 2006, which has the same design. i liked those round but boxy corners and the pulsing sleep button

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oldest is probably a nuc from 2019.

I give away or sell my old hardware because I’m not living in a junkyard

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Agile Vector posted:

i still have my mbp rev. a from 2006, which has the same design. i liked those round but boxy corners and the pulsing sleep button

one of the more joyful discoveries i made about that computer was when i realized the pulsing sleep light dimmed in the dark, using the same ambient light sensor for the keyboard lights and display backlight

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

one of the more joyful discoveries i made about that computer was when i realized the pulsing sleep light dimmed in the dark, using the same ambient light sensor for the keyboard lights and display backlight

that effect is called breathing.

the engineering design called for an 8-bit DAC on that light to give 256 intensity levels. but the industrial design team thought that wasn’t enough and demanded a 10-bit dac. which they got, even though it costs much more. Apple is not afraid to spend money on details like that.

subsequent tests proved that no one can tell an 8-bit breathing gradient from a 10-bit one.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

i just took a bunch of old systems and gear from 2002-2012 to the city electronics recycling day last month, because that stuff was just old and slow, not interesting at all from a retro perspective, and cluttering up the shelves

this is where i learn that there are weirdos who yearn for period-correct xp or vista machines

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

windows xp was the zenith of home computing so it makes sense people would be nostalgic for it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The_Franz posted:

i just took a bunch of old systems and gear from 2002-2012 to the city electronics recycling day last month, because that stuff was just old and slow, not interesting at all from a retro perspective, and cluttering up the shelves

this is where i learn that there are weirdos who yearn for period-correct xp or vista machines

I think there's more win 98 than xp period correct people.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Management posted:

oldest is probably a nuc from 2019.

you don't develop a deep and loving relationship with you're computer ?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The_Franz posted:

i think by the late 00s computers were too reliant on the internet to be any fun as retro things. like, an old win3.1/95 or classic os mac can run old stuff, and that can be fun. but something from like 2008 is too slow to run newer stuff, and the older stuff can't always reliably connect to the services it needs to run right, so they're not really fun anymore.

a few weeks ago i wiped my 2009 mbp and put the original OS (snow leopard) on it and it was basically a paperweight in that state.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

you don't develop a deep and loving relationship with you're computer ?

we keep it casual

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

well i prefer my commitment between me and my old LED

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The_Franz posted:

p-p-p-p-powerbook

also, the athlon xp was a great chip for its time

and remember how big of a splash the core2 made when it came out? revolutionary

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Raluek posted:

p-p-p-p-powerbook

also, the athlon xp was a great chip for its time

and remember how big of a splash the core2 made when it came out? revolutionary

athalon*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
in fact, the 12" pbg4 from that era is one of my favorite computers ever, now that i think about it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a vtech branded 486 that was the original first family computer, which has had some improvements:
- upgraded the 486sx-25 to a 486dx2-66
- maxed out the ram to 32mb
- got a bios isa card and put xtide on it, so that i could use...
- a cf ide adapter to replace the hard drive
- a real sound blaster brand sound card rather than a clone
- an isa ethernet card
- an ide cdrom that's kinda noisy and that i want to replace
- l2 cache memory chips bought from mouser after lots of digging to figure out what the motherboard wanted/supported
- an atx power supply connected to the motherboard using an at adapter, with a hole dremeled into the back of the case to run a new power switch for it
- a usb optical mouse connected to a spare raspberry pi 1 running this software to emulate a serial mouse over a usb-serial adapter

runs tie fighter like a dream

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Raluek posted:

in fact, the 12" pbg4 from that era is one of my favorite computers ever, now that i think about it

They're great. I have one that still gets 4-5 hours from its battery. The iBooks can run morphOS though.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I haven’t tried to power it on in quite some time but I still have our og 512k Mac in my basement back home

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Abacus. This baby counts all the way up to 9,999,999,999. Try doing 2,147,483,647 + 1 on your pos 32 bit computer lmao

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Buck Turgidson posted:

Abacus. This baby counts all the way up to 9,999,999,999. Try doing 2,147,483,647 + 1 on your pos 32 bit computer lmao

My 8 bit computers can perform that calculation just fine. 1 digit per nibble in BCD.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

update: it still works

jealous of your working unit

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
got an old terminal in storage, hope it works.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bad news, I discovered an old Mac mini in my office. it’s about 15 years old and hasn’t been booted in a decade. I need to give it away promptly.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

in college, departments would put scrubbed machines on palettes for recycling and students would strip them for parts like vultures. i got a lot of old cpus and spare case screws that way and i hope the tradition continues

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

probably my dad's old atari 520STFM
planning on getting it connected to the internet at some point so i can use it to call BBSes n poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Agile Vector posted:

in college, departments would put scrubbed machines on palettes for recycling and students would strip them for parts like vultures. i got a lot of old cpus and spare case screws that way and i hope the tradition continues

we did that too. well, they put all the old crap in a locked room in the basement of one of the engineering buildings but we students would learn from the older students where the room was and how to jimmy the lock. and wed go in at night and strip anything that still looked like it might work. i graduated with a huge pile of low capacity old hard drives and optical drives and my roommate scored an almost working flat screen lcd monitor that we were able to repair back when the rest of us were using crts

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

hbag posted:

probably my dad's old atari 520STFM
planning on getting it connected to the internet at some point so i can use it to call BBSes n poo poo

You could hook it up to a phone a call a BBS

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

not a "computer" per se but I've got a 2 bay synology nas from 2008 still happily serving files to my plex server but it's mostly been replaced by a much newer 4 bay model. also have a 10 year old dell laptop with a dead battery running win 7 to play nice with Volvo's VIDA and Honda's HCS software.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

leper khan posted:

You could hook it up to a phone a call a BBS

im sure my parents would appreciate all those long-distance charges

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Arson Daily posted:

not a "computer" per se but I've got a 2 bay synology nas from 2008

found one of these in a broom closet at work, amazingly itll run the newest dsm. thanks synology

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

hbag posted:

im sure my parents would appreciate all those long-distance charges

The internet used to work by dialing into a local copy of a BBS which would sync daily. No long distance charges.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well it aint how they work anymore pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

leper khan posted:

The internet used to work by dialing into a local copy of a BBS which would sync daily. No long distance charges.

someone paid long distance charges

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

graph posted:

found one of these in a broom closet at work, amazingly itll run the newest dsm. thanks synology

Mine doesn't any more but it does get security updates from time to time. Pretty wild for a 15 year old piece of hardware

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I miss dialing into networked Citadel BBSes.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

someone paid long distance charges

yeah, whoever had the access number that you managed to brute-force guess that month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have a pc of theseus right here op, it’s probably 15 years old but none of the components are more than 2 years old :thunk: