Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

really, the good gaming rig is not the same as its components, they merely occupy the same space at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you could say computers are a process, not an object

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve been wanting to find a corollary to the ship of Theseus that equates to “the original was completely lost, but we took a new thing and are going to pretend it’s the old thing” a la when the Star Trek enterprise was destroyed so they quickly recommissioned another ship to have the same name. I’ve done this a few times with personal items that were lost/destroyed like my lord of the rings dvds

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

git apologist posted:

i have a pc of theseus right here op, it’s probably 15 years old but none of the components are more than 2 years old :thunk:

my current pc has mostly new parts from 2022 except for my 1060 6gb from 2017 and one spinning platter western digital "green" drive i bought around 2007-2008

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

git apologist posted:

i have a pc of theseus right here op, it’s probably 15 years old but none of the components are more than 2 years old :thunk:

I'd go with Trigger's Broom instead of the ship of theseus since it's computer janitorial equipment.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve been wanting to find a corollary to the ship of Theseus that equates to “the original was completely lost, but we took a new thing and are going to pretend it’s the old thing” a la when the Star Trek enterprise was destroyed so they quickly recommissioned another ship to have the same name. I’ve done this a few times with personal items that were lost/destroyed like my lord of the rings dvds

wait till you hear how many “uss enterprise”-es there have been irl

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
1701-Deez Nuts

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

George posted:

1701-Deez Nuts

if they kept just appending letters to new ones you would indeed eventually arrive at that registry number if you blew up enough ships

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

git apologist posted:

nope, the bios/uefi chip and it’s memory are the soul of the machine, and when this is replaced, you have slain the beast but another has come to take its place

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
very dead apple ][e

oldest working is quadra 650 running a/ux 3.0 and after that uhh some 486 embedded thing like a pc-engines alix

edit oh yeah a macintosh plus it "works" with copious case smacking but i don't have a working system 6 floppy and none of my machines can bless that old

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 17, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ti-99/4a

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Needed money for an emergency move two years ago and so I sold off the remnants of my Amiga 1200 setup. It was my first computer, had it since I was three years old, but I haven’t used it in years so I decided to send it to someone who’ll actually use it. It’s in Arizona now and last I heard the new owner is making a game with it.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

nope, the bios/uefi chip and it’s memory are the soul of the machine, and when this is replaced, you have slain the beast but another has come to take its place

I found a few of these recently while going through some old boxes.

https://www.overclockers.com/bios-savior/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The oldest one that I know exactly where it is is a white macbook. I think I have an older thinkpad somewhere but I don’t know where and haven’t seen it in years.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
palm III, op

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wait actually i have an atari 1800(?) somewhere

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

update: it still works

this was the second computer i ever programmed. the first was some mainframe i connected to via teletype in the third grade and programmed a 10 GOTO 20 type thing, i had the tape laying around for a ling time

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have a Gateway 2000 with a Pentium 60 that still boots into Windows 95. In my life time of spinning HDDs, this is the only one that still works and probably has the most hours on it.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
oldest is an Atari XEGS, which is just an Atari 65XE computer shoved into a goofy game console shell with pastel buttons, and the official end of the 8-bit computer line. if i ever bite the bullet and get either an original disk drive or a drive emulator i can turn it into a fully-functional 65XE, but having a MiSTer has greatly diminished my desire to do so

second oldest is my family's old PC, a K6-III 380 MHz with 64 MB RAM, a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, and some generic Cirrus Logic SVGA card. i still use it to run DOS stuff when i feel like giving myself a headache

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

rotor posted:

this was the second computer i ever programmed. the first was some mainframe i connected to via teletype in the third grade and programmed a 10 GOTO 20 type thing, i had the tape laying around for a ling time

still find it hosed up that terminals used to be on essentially typewriters

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hbag posted:

still find it hosed up that terminals used to be on essentially typewriters

console output makes more sense sometimes if you remember it was originally typed out on a new page every time something changed.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

well, you can’t like, own things, maaaaan

but what’s the oldest computer in your possession?

I have a Mac SE/30 but sadly it does not work.

I have a graphite iBook G3 and a Sawtooth Power Mac G4. the iBook has a bad screen but the power Mac works like new. non original hard drive and RAM though.

I also have a Pentium 3 box based on an OR840 dual slot board. I know I’ve mentioned it before but it’s the pride of my fleet.

so what have you got? :)

I just got my OR840 today from a friend. Dual 733s and supposed to go with a Voodoo 3500.
I am however encountering a weird issue: It's benching at 30-40% what it should. I'm basing this off comparing my own results on a 440bx with the same hardware, and reviews on the internet. Without fail, everything I do, it comes out to 40% where it should be. What I have tried:
Changing RDRAM from PC600 512 to PC800 128. Stable, not performing right.
Switching GPU from a Voodoo 3 to a TNT 2 Ultra. Stable, not performing right.
Switching OS: 98SE and 2K both have the same results.
Switching drivers, Chipset and video card. Stable, not performing right.
Updating bios, messing with bios settings, resetting bios settings. Stable, not performing right.
Improving system cooling. Stable, not performing right.
Checking that both aux power ports are connected. No change.
Removing all peripherals. No change.
It's baffling and frustrating me. It's entirely stable, doesn't crash, temperatures are fine and the bios recognizes both processors. Windows recognizes both processors. The system _works_ but it's performing wildly below expectations.
Benchmarks tried: 3Dmark 99 and 2000, and Quake 3 timedemos. In all cases, it performs 30-40% compared to my own testing and documentation online.
I would love to try older bios versions, but have not found any. I would also like to try the IBM bios, but I can't figure out how to force it.
What the hell gives? If something is broken, I'd expect instability not a lack of performance.

Whole project was a lovely bust, so I just set it back to Pentium 3 600 on a 440bx.

Recently got an LC475 to fix up and resell and getting a 7100/80 this week for actual usage. God I miss my 8600. I had to sell it before I went to basic because I couldn't store it, but gently caress I miss it. So badly.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 28, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if memory serves, last month there was a guy at the flea with an 8600. think he wanted $50 for it. want me to keep an eye out next time?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Raluek posted:

if memory serves, last month there was a guy at the flea with an 8600. think he wanted $50 for it. want me to keep an eye out next time?

I’d pay as much as 4x that and shipping for a good one, yes please. anything high end system 7 era

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I have a 7100/80 now. It's making me miss the 8600 more but at least it's a usable Sys 7 era machine.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

daaaamn that's one of the original powerpc machines isn't it?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, first gen. So it is pretty cool even if the case is kinda scuffed.
I keep trying to do the same thingsI would on my old 8600 and getting disappointed though lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

rotor posted:

wait actually i have an atari 1800(?) somewhere

it's either a 800, 800XL or the rare 1200XL

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I want an 800xl

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

I want an 800xl

i thnk its an 800xl but im not diggin it up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its got like game cartriges and joysrticks and poo poo too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it probably doesn't work anymore

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also I have a mister

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

it probably doesn't work anymore

well i dont have a power cord for it so yeah hard to say

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

schroedinger’s atari

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

gently caress sounds like you were there when they invented binary

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
🤔 what if we only had two number 🤔

and boom computers got invented

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

🤔 what if we only had two number 🤔

and boom computers got invented

arguably going via "what if we have only one number" as asked by alonzo church, who then supervised turing and from there we got real extravagant with the digits

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
either my laptop (2017) or my Antikythera mechanism (~200 bce)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

arguably going via "what if we have only one number" as asked by alonzo church, who then supervised turing and from there we got real extravagant with the digits

imo we have too many numbers these days