Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Thanks to a cool goon I got a G3/266. It's neat but not replacing the 8600 in my heart. I did manage to clock it up to 315mhz though which is pretty rad- it'd make this the fastest Mac for the year of 1998 (and be comically overpowered for release date of nov 1997). Possibly fastest consumer released machine, but I don't know what I'd bench it against a p2 450 with. Close though at least I'm sure.

It's up for trade or something if anyone wants it. I'd 1:1 trade it for an 8600/9600 or maybe something else neat.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SRQ posted:

Yeah, first gen

wasnt first gen 7100/66 and second 7100/80 ?

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Hmm... I think a TRS-80 Model III. Had an early production Apple II that was a hair older for a while. But, it was one of those things that was so original and valuable I was scared to own it lest I break it, so I sold it on. Much more comfortable with my beat up IIE that's worth 5% of what that II was.

Oldest computer hardware would be a tie between a VT100 and DECwriter III, though I unfortunately don't have the brains to those so to speak. Had a PDP-11/83 once upon a time but I sold it to a museum years ago.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

graph posted:

wasnt first gen 7100/66 and second 7100/80 ?

Yeah I turned out wrong, but it weirds me out a tad.
It's ostensibly the same but won't run 7.1 ;-;

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
fwiw i only knew that because the 7100/80 was the first mac that could emulate snes9x at 30fps

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

SRQ posted:

Thanks to a cool goon I got a G3/266. It's neat but not replacing the 8600 in my heart. I did manage to clock it up to 315mhz though which is pretty rad- it'd make this the fastest Mac for the year of 1998 (and be comically overpowered for release date of nov 1997). Possibly fastest consumer released machine, but I don't know what I'd bench it against a p2 450 with. Close though at least I'm sure.

It's up for trade or something if anyone wants it. I'd 1:1 trade it for an 8600/9600 or maybe something else neat.

The desktop G3? Love that form factor. The vintage machine I most regret having let go is the 7600/132 I had through high school. It had the AV ports, I tracked down a G3 card and internal Zip drive kit for it over the years, and maxed out the RAM and storage as best I could pre-everything-available-on-the-Internet era. Traded it for some janky ham radio gear I sold for peanuts later on after I bounced hard off that hobby :(

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

SRQ posted:

Yeah I turned out wrong, but it weirds me out a tad.
It's ostensibly the same but won't run 7.1 ;-;

don't they need 7.1.2?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
anyone want a good deal on apple ][ or 68k era apple components? I think I even have a maxpowr 240 g3 for the 6100 and maybe have the machine for it, pretty sure it has 128/256mb ram when you could get those huge simms from hp printers

there's tubs of the stuff and I gave up after the vintage apple market softened a few years back

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DJ Commie posted:

I think I even have a maxpowr 240 g3 for the 6100

:pwn:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
yeah it was about as unreliable as you can imagine since it didn't have active cooling and those simms are huge

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

anyone want a good deal on apple ][ or 68k era apple components? I think I even have a maxpowr 240 g3 for the 6100 and maybe have the machine for it, pretty sure it has 128/256mb ram when you could get those huge simms from hp printers

there's tubs of the stuff and I gave up after the vintage apple market softened a few years back

That G3 is worth its weight in gold to vintage Mac weirdos.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SRQ posted:

That G3 is worth its weight in gold to vintage Mac weirdos.

most vintage mac weirdos probably post here tho, tbh

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

SRQ posted:

Thanks to a cool goon I got a G3/266.

I used my high school graduation money to buy one of those for college, thanks extended relatives

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just ordered a core2duo 3ghz machine from trademe for real cheap

going to see if i can run win98 on it, but xp should be pretty easy if not

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Progressive JPEG posted:

just ordered a core2duo 3ghz machine from trademe for real cheap

going to see if i can run win98 on it, but xp should be pretty easy if not

There is something with Win98 and actually having too much Ram in the system that can make it unstable. I know with some unofficial patches it can see 1 Gig of ram,, but if you can, just stick with a 512 meg Dimm.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

unless you are specifically wanting to run an older OS, it would probably handle windows 7 much better. especially since the core 2 duos are 64 bit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Toupee Groupie posted:

There is something with Win98 and actually having too much Ram in the system that can make it unstable. I know with some unofficial patches it can see 1 Gig of ram,, but if you can, just stick with a 512 meg Dimm.

good point, itll have 3gb which I assume is divided across a 1gb and a 2gb stick. i'll try running it with 1gb to start with, and if there are issues then it should be possible to find a 512 or 2x256 for it pretty easily

polyester concept posted:

unless you are specifically wanting to run an older OS,

:hmmyes:

this would be sitting alongside the childhood 486 that's been maxed out to a 486dx2-66 with 32mb ram, which runs dos/win31 great or can handle win95 in a pinch, but which completely chokes on win98

i think a pentium 3 or thereabouts would be great but those would cost more lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oldest design that I have out and about is a Commodore VIC 20 but I guess the Atari 2600 is older? That's in a box somewhere because it sucks. Dunno about manufacturing dates.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the atari 2600 isn't really a computer, unless you have the BASIC programming cartridge for it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

the atari 2600 isn't really a computer, unless you have the BASIC programming cartridge for it

There's literally no practically usable definition of computer that doesn't include the Atari 2600. Pong and Magnavox Odyssey aren't computers, of course.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean I can't program a modern Windows computer in any useful way out of the box, so I guess they aren't computers, either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress, they don't even have sprites!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'd argue that the availability & dependence on a full keyboard to allow tasks such as calculation, word processing, etc differentiates a "computer" from a "games console" where such things are completely ancillary if available

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the purpose of a thing is what it does etc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computers with keyboards are a relatively new intention. Now, you might have had a card punch with a keyboard, but that's a completely different thing. And yet they could be and were used to compute loadsa things.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'd argue that the availability & dependence on a full keyboard to allow tasks such as calculation, word processing, etc differentiates a "computer" from a "games console" where such things are completely ancillary if available

Nah. Computer is something you can execute code on. Game consoles are computers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anyway welcome back, Fishmech.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

now you're getting weird about it

if I go to a computer store, and ask for their best computer, I'm going to be disappointed if they bring me a PS5

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

now you're getting weird about it

if I go to a computer store, and ask for their best computer, I'm going to be disappointed if they bring me a PS5

more's the fool you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If a shop has a Sony Play Station Five home computer video game console in stock, it's going to be the best computer they have in stock.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Computers with keyboards are a relatively new intention. Now, you might have had a card punch with a keyboard, but that's a completely different thing. And yet they could be and were used to compute loadsa things.

Famicom, sega mark ii/iii, megadrive, saturn, dreamcast, Playstation 2, and roughly everything newer than that support keyboards.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this is just prescriptivism vs. descriptivism (where in descriptivism is clearly correct)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
in use right now probably my TI-85

oldest I own is my parents’ HP-35 that’s in a shadow box. I have the programming manual so it counts, that’s 1972.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

leper khan posted:

Famicom, sega mark ii/iii, megadrive, saturn, dreamcast, Playstation 2, and roughly everything newer than that support keyboards.

I tried to play the Final Fantasy 7 Doom-clone with a keyboard and mouse, but it was still a bad game :(

e: Dirge of Cerberus?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

this is just prescriptivism vs. descriptivism (where in descriptivism is clearly correct)

You're getting caught up in the distinction between computer and general purpose computer. They're not equivalent sets, and the terms already exist.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

is a slide rule a computer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

leper khan posted:

You're getting caught up in the distinction between computer and general purpose computer. They're not equivalent sets, and the terms already exist.

hmf fine

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Elder Postsman posted:

is a slide rule a computer

It's a computation device, but not a computer.

For a slide rule, the human is the computer (deprecated job title).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just remembered I have the/some documentation and brochures for the first University computer system in Finland (a Wegematic 1000). Maybe I should donate it to a museum or the Uni. Maybe I'll keep it and it'll be thrown in the bin when I die because no-one cares.

e: Should definitely see if there's scans on-line and if not, scan them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just dropping in to remind people that an ipad is not a computer, cheers and have fun