Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What is a computer, cheese, and have fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just dropping in to remind people that an ipad is not a computer, cheers and have fun

:wrong:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i got win98se working fine on the cheapo core2duo machine, but then i installed win2k on a separate partition and im realizing that its way more pleasant to actually use. at this point i have the two dual booting and will likely just stick with booting into win2k

after getting things set up i was able to plug in the full 3GB of ram i had available and then configure win98 to only see 512MB of it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

when people fondly remember windows 95/98 its some mandela effect poo poo, and what they actually liked was 2000

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Progressive JPEG posted:

i got win98se working fine on the cheapo core2duo machine, but then i installed win2k on a separate partition and im realizing that its way more pleasant to actually use. at this point i have the two dual booting and will likely just stick with booting into win2k

after getting things set up i was able to plug in the full 3GB of ram i had available and then configure win98 to only see 512MB of it

Win98 is too old for a core 2 duo anyway. XP was the contemporary OS for that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sweevo posted:

when people fondly remember windows 95/98 its some mandela effect poo poo, and what they actually liked was 2000

I had a machine with windows ME for a long while.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

leper khan posted:

Win98 is too old for a core 2 duo anyway. XP was the contemporary OS for that.

nah it works fine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how did you find win98 compatible drivers for the newer hardware?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I never used Windows 2000 and I'm nostalgic for Windows 98(SE). Too bad it doesn't work.

(I mean yeah it works so-so for a year or so and then you have to reinstall it.)

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Sweevo posted:

I stand by that 98 was a great operating system. If you were a gamer, 98 was the best till XP SP1 and the directX updates for XP came out. Also, TCP/IP was much better than 95 and 3.1 and so easy to set up a small home network to share the internet through dialup using the Internet sharing for 98. Hop on a computer connected to the network with internet sharing, open a browser, and a second later I could hear the modem in the computer in the basement sing the song of its people then be on the internet in 15 seconds.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sweevo posted:

wasnt windows 2000 a workstation/server os? i dont think i ever used it in my life, and i dont think most home computer users would have either.

windows 98 SE was my first internet-connected home computer os and i remember it fondly enough for that reason.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

2000 is basically XP without the clown theme, except it runs a lot faster on the same hardware, and never got all the lovely bloat that XP ended up with towards the end

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
win2k was my favorite windows of all time to use but a bunch of games wouldnt run on it, which was a problem.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I used to dual boot NT4 and 98 as a kid and when I figured out the blizzard stuff worked in NT I was like :wth: :yum:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as far as i know, windows 2000 was never actually released to home users and people who used it were either super turbonerds who for some reason wanted enterprise software on their home computers or grown-rear end adults who got it from work (overlap is non-zero, of course)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i used it because of getting surplus workstation hardware from weird stuff warehouse

dual p-iii and 512mb ram but had to buy 64bit 5v pci video cards that weren't meant for gaming at all

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

dual P3s are the poo poo

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
the ironic part is that the surplus machine I got was from 3dfx when they closed up

i think it ended up with some ati card that could run at 5v

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'd argue that the availability & dependence on a full keyboard to allow tasks such as calculation, word processing, etc differentiates a "computer" from a "games console" where such things are completely ancillary if available

whats a computer

- posted from my ipad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

how did you find win98 compatible drivers for the newer hardware?

the mobo generally Just Worked except for the onboard sound and network. fixed by plugging in a usb sound card dongle and a spare pcie ethernet card

meanwhile for graphics i found a geforce 6600 for like $10 shipped and that was at or near the last generation with 98/2k driver support

however i noticed that NOLF textures were all fucky on 98 unless i went with an older version of the graphics driver, meanwhile i didn't have this issue at all on 2k

i dont have my notes in front of me but can paste em later if anyone wants

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh the pcie ethernet card only worked in 98 if i used some ndis/dos mode drivers that are very slow. but im only using the network for copying stuff over via ftp so that i don't need to shift a usb stick around. 2k meanwhile has native drivers

i think the funy thing with 98 is that it still manages to hitch up constantly despite the vastly overpowered hardware that it's barely using. meanwhile 2k is super smooth

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

my old computers are all gone. :(

if you are digging up your old 8-bit computers from the basement, please check the voltage on the power supply before you plug them in. many C64 motherboards have been fried from a dying power supply that decided to send a voltage spike as its last gasp.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah, I found a C64 buried deep in a closet and I'm not going to turn it on until I get a replacement power supply for it. it's a 1987 canadian model branded for the then-upcoming 1988 winter olympics, so not the oldest of C64, but that power supply probably hasn't been turned on in 25 years so I don't trust it one bit

also need a video output mod because it's been a decade since I had something that can take an RF modulator

oldest working computer: mac classic ii, which will be displaced by a microvax that I need to recap the PSU on because the magic smoke came out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

as far as i know, windows 2000 was never actually released to home users and people who used it were either super turbonerds who for some reason wanted enterprise software on their home computers or grown-rear end adults who got it from work (overlap is non-zero, of course)

never marketed to home users is true i'm quite sure, but at the time we're talking it was on the same shelf in a similar box as far as i can recall.

also it for sure in-place upgraded from windows 9x, and there was a cheaper upgrade price ($200ish i think) from those. so, idk, mostly a matter of definition

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i don't have my old computers but my Acer AL2423W 24" lcd from 2006 is still working and on an arm
also got a 2006 mac mini but i took that from work in like 2010

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the 2006 Mac mini is old enough to get a drivers license in America

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

the 2006 Mac mini is old enough to get a drivers license in America

Joe Biden has a driver's license in America.

Serriouspost: in a civilised society he wouldn't.t

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I don't have any old computers but I still have something pretty cool. A book called "High Speed Computing Devices" published in 1950 explaining computers and how they work in a technical sense. Surprisingly easy to read because a Turing machine and its I/O hasn't hasn't fundamentally changed since then.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it is kinda wild that we haven’t found a better way to crunch numbers

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Joe Biden has a driver's license in America.

Serriouspost: in a civilised society he wouldn't.t

olds should be allowed to have drivers licenses, just with more frequent testing. that's what we do in nz, you need to practical tests every couple of years

waka kotahi posted:

Drivers must renew their driver licence at age 75, 80 and every 2 years after that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yep that sounds like a brilliant idea. only difference i'd propose is that everyone with a license has to be retested every 5 years until they're 70, then every 2 thereafter.

also there will be two passing grades: one hard cutoff where you immediately lose your license until you retake driving school, and one that changes year to year where anyone scoring below the 20th percentile of all passing scores doesn't lose their their license, but has to take driving school in the next 6 months to keep it.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yep that sounds like a brilliant idea. only difference i'd propose is that everyone with a license has to be retested every 5 years until they're 70, then every 2 thereafter.

also there will be two passing grades: one hard cutoff where you immediately lose your license until you retake driving school, and one that changes year to year where anyone scoring below the 20th percentile of all passing scores doesn't lose their their license, but has to take driving school in the next 6 months to keep it.

:hellyeah:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also trucks should require a cdl

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

just ordered a core2duo 3ghz machine from trademe for real cheap

going to see if i can run win98 on it, but xp should be pretty easy if not

Way too new to run 98 comfortably. 98 is good on a Pentium 2 up to a 4 and even that's a stretch- it has a limited hardware window.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SRQ posted:

Way too new to run 98 comfortably. 98 is good on a Pentium 2 up to a 4 and even that's a stretch- it has a limited hardware window.

:wrong:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh one thing ive noticed is the computer forgets all its bios settings if its unplugged for longer than 5s or so

tried swapping the button battery on the mobo but it still does it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

klosterdev posted:

I don't have any old computers but I still have something pretty cool. A book called "High Speed Computing Devices" published in 1950 explaining computers and how they work in a technical sense. Surprisingly easy to read because a Turing machine and its I/O hasn't hasn't fundamentally changed since then.

I've got a systems design book from the early 1960s and, apart from most of the hardware stuff, it's all valid today. And completely disregarded by people who design systems, of course.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
https://youtu.be/zcP_Dfgvuo8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
An ASUS Eee PC from 2010ish. I've moved around so much I haven't had the luxury of keeping a supply of dead/moribund old computers around.