Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am halfway through the show. Just finished season 3. I've never seen it before. Everyone jerks it off so much I figured I would give it a try. Sorry if this spoils a 15 year old show for you but also dont spoil it for me too ok thanks

Ok so what the gently caress? Don "Dick" Draper? So this dude is in Korea. Volunteered to be in Korea. Get's all upset about it and wants to go home. Fine, that checks out. He kills his commanding officer by taking a terribly unfortunate piss. Then just steals his loving identity? HUH? Why. Why would you do that. It isn't even immediately made clear either. Not until Betty finds his little jerk off box and figures out who he is. She confronts him and he just says he "had to get out of there". In the end they sent home whoever was the survivor. If he just said "yeah my name is dick and this other guy is toast." they'd say "thanks soldier" pin a purple heart on him, and send home. Which is exactly what the did. Why on earth did he need to steal this dudes identity? It just seems so illogical. He knows that he could've just gone home as Dick Whitman and told his family to get hosed and moved to California anyway? Literally nothing was preventing him doing this. He invented the idea he needed to do all these elaborate identity theft schemes for no reason. gently caress, he could've still had a relationship with his brother. A brother who he very clearly states he loved very much but couldn't have him be apart of his life (because of the lies). But... again. Why? He is your brother. Just tell Betty that you have a brother. You've said over and over again that you have no family. But a surprise brother is literally infinitely better than I AM NOT THE MAN WHO I SAY I AM. In fact she would probably be thrilled about it. She hated that Don was so detached from family related stuff.

Furthermore, why the gently caress did Pete get his god drat foot exploded by a lawnmower for absolutely zero reason? They gently caress his poo poo up so bad. Go on and on about how bad it is. May even need to lose his foot. Then just nothing happens. He doesn't walk with a limp. He doesn't ever mention it again. He doesn't even take a break from going to work. It all is like it never happened. I am pretty sure they didnt even fire the secretary. An absolutely insane and pointless plot line that is so tone deaf to the "Serious Drama About Ad Guys Who gently caress" vibe.

Pete knocks up Peggy. She has a whole god drat baby. She even stays in the hospital for an unspecified time due to being chronically depressed. Don just goes there and is like "knock this poo poo off. so what you had a baby.". So you are telling me that Peggy, a small person, not a giant tub of lard, did not realize she was pregnant until like halfway through the pregnancy or longer? Kinsey even makes a joke about her getting fat. So she was visibly pregnant. They hand Peggy a brand new job and literally the day of her promotion while bringing her stuff into her lovely office she just pukes and goes missing for at a minimum a few months. And they just let that fly? It wasn't like she called and said she was having a baby and needed time off. Unexcused multi month long absence and they just kept paying her and she still had a job? these guys are awful at their jobs. keeping this bitch on the payroll for like half a year even though shes gone. And during the exact same time that all this is happening it turns out that Pete's wife Trudy has a barren wasteland of a pussy and she wants to adopt. They were setting this up so nicely for Pete adopting Peggy's baby which is actually his own baby. Nope. They just forget all about it completely and Trudy stops caring I guess. The plot just evaporates.

Which brings me too: Don did the same loving thing. I know he is super important to the company and stock holder and un-firable. But is he though? The show keeps saying how they are sort of a lower or mid tier ad agency. They are buying them out left and right. Don Draper does "adequate" work. He doesn't even have a god drat contract. For guys who say "it's just business" so often you'd think they would have fired his rear end for going missing for a whole month with no explanation. He doesn't even explain it when he gets back.

I would also like to point out that Don keeps having flashbacks that are supposed to make us feel pity for his lovely life and justify why he needed to leave his family so bad he went to war. And none of these flashbacks are all that bad. His mom died when he was a baby he hardly knew her. His step mom seems fine. His dad is an alcoholic rear end in a top hat but show me one farmer from the 40s who wasn't. Oh no my dad got kicked in the face by a horse. Give me a break. I have to assume his dad ends up fine because he was eventually on the train station waiting for his "sons" dead body to arrive. And he didn't look crippled. So why the gently caress are we even bringing this up. Does Don get kicked in the head later as a call back or something?

It's fun to watch tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Matthew Weiner lol

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I read your shortest paragraph

Windows 98 posted:

Furthermore, why the gently caress did Pete get his god drat foot exploded by a lawnmower for absolutely zero reason? They gently caress his poo poo up so bad. Go on and on about how bad it is. May even need to lose his foot. Then just nothing happens. He doesn't walk with a limp. He doesn't ever mention it again. He doesn't even take a break from going to work. It all is like it never happened. I am pretty sure they didnt even fire the secretary. An absolutely insane and pointless plot line that is so tone deaf to the "Serious Drama About Ad Guys Who gently caress" vibe.

That wasn't Pete, OP

That show likes to show people doing stuff that used to fly, but now would not be tolerated. Famously smoking cigs on planes, drinking in the office, overt sexual harassment and racial discrimination, but most memorable to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu9rKaUmtYQ

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I read your shortest paragraph

That wasn't Pete, OP

That show likes to show people doing stuff that used to fly, but now would not be tolerated. Famously smoking cigs on planes, drinking in the office, overt sexual harassment and racial discrimination, but most memorable to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu9rKaUmtYQ

Ok either way Peggy had a baby and Pete needed a baby. Then nothing happens with either of them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I liked the show

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Jon Hamm is quite handsome.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

oh it was just a guy who looked like Pete I recant my objections. in my defense I am always very high when I watch Mad Men

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ez8 posted:

I don't remember which show but I remember Jon hamm b
Having a minor part in someone's dreams. He said 'can I poo poo in your house' before going to the toilet

So I did the same thing and the host actually said I'd rather you didn't.

I poo poo there anyway

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Pete has that soyboy face and there’s no way in hell a Chad like Don would have treated him with any respect.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pete is a little bizznatch and I wish they would have killed him

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

never seen it op I always thought it was about angry men and im a chill dude so i was like nah

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

never seen it op I always thought it was about angry men and im a chill dude so i was like nah

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

nooooooooooo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sounds like you got mad op guess the show's name is not incorrect

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Nothing beats smoking a cigarette and thinking bout stuff, or smoking a cigarette and having a drink. I also have enjoyed smoking a cigarette after smoking a cigarette while waiting.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
You can enjoy cigarettes wherever good times are had, or they will surely follow once you light one.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Remember when you couldn't drunkpost

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

They gave Lumet a $65,000 set budget for that flick. He spent $12,000 renting a conference room and pocketed the rest, classic scumbag move

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

wtf Caity Lotz is in Mad Men

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vim Fuego posted:

They gave Lumet a $65,000 set budget for that flick. He spent $12,000 renting a conference room and pocketed the rest, classic scumbag move

Wait what lol

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Ez8 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKd91nf5klg

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a chip and dip

We got two

That's practically four of something

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I liked the part where Jared Harris decks someone (was it Pete?)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I never saw Mad Men, but it seems like now that the show has that title we can't ever have an AMC series about the early days of Mad Magazine.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I liked the parts where they wore suits while smoking and drinking.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I was going to agree but only because I thought the thread was about the lovely rap group, Made Men.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

never watched an episode, it looked like bro poo poo for nerd losers. "oohhh look at me i'm don draper, i bottle up my feelings and get drunk at work," yeah well who doesn't you handsome piece of poo poo fucker man!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ah boy, i'm just so tired of all these mad men

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

these mad men ain't right, I tell you whut

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It'd be funny if real Don Draper was a serial killer and fake Don Draper got pinched for it because DNA evidence wasn't a thing that could clear him in the 50s/60s.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I just hate how ugly the show is for the first couple of seasons. It’s described as “prestige tv” or whatever, but you never see the characters walking around on Manhattan, you never see out of an office window. Guess that would have been too expensive. If I had a view over Manhattan from my office I sure wouldn’t close the loving drapes. Feels goddamn claustrophobic.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
The important thing to understand about the show, OP, and something that might help you 'grok' it a little better, is that the redheaded lady is very sexy and a lot of the guys have had or would like to have an affair with her.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mad Men is dope, OP is a dope on dope, hth

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is the best mad men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNno63ZO2Lw

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Von Pluring posted:

I just hate how ugly the show is for the first couple of seasons. It’s described as “prestige tv” or whatever, but you never see the characters walking around on Manhattan, you never see out of an office window. Guess that would have been too expensive. If I had a view over Manhattan from my office I sure wouldn’t close the loving drapes. Feels goddamn claustrophobic.

His name is Draper, of course he's using drapes.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

mobby_6kl posted:

His name is Draper, of course he's using drapes.

Lol, so he stole that guy's name and then had to adopt the whole ever-closed drapes lifestyle.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rad men

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

so they just re-did the mike diva video from like 2013 complete with the same name for the sax man? i hope they paid him or hired him or something

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Roger Sterling eat the oysters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Pete has that soyboy face and there’s no way in hell a Chad like Don would have treated him with any respect.

Don had him pegged from day one that he was a slippery little suck-up who started crying once he didn't get what he wanted. Don tried to fire him until his bosses said that he's blue blood and it'd cause a scandal in their upper-crust society.

Best part was when Pete finally tried to blackmail him, Cooper said, "Who cares?"

Anyway, Make America Great Again, to a time when America was a meritocracy, goshdarnit.

Fartington Butts posted:

I liked the part where Jared Harris decks someone (was it Pete?)

It was. And he deserved it for being a grimy little pimp.