Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/tapping-a-maple-on-a-cold-vermont-morning/393344/

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Do you know how many handjobs I’m going to have to give to smooth this thing over?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I remember one of the first jokes was "let's consult with our man in research" and they were talking about a lady

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah but there were so many people, in the first couple of years mad men was on, carrying on about how they loved the sixties look

and they were just wrong

Yeah, back then social and cultural trends didn't evolve nearly as quickly as they do now, except in moments of extreme social stress. There's a reason why most historians pin 1963 as the true start of The Sixties.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I read your shortest paragraph

That wasn't Pete, OP

That show likes to show people doing stuff that used to fly, but now would not be tolerated. Famously smoking cigs on planes, drinking in the office, overt sexual harassment and racial discrimination, but most memorable to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu9rKaUmtYQ

Drinking in the office is not tolerated now?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

sebmojo posted:

It ends really strong, I bailed on it too but it's worth finishing up.

I'll have to finish up sometime. I never finished Rome either. I guess I finished Deadwood but I can't remember, I always fizzle out around the middle of season 3 on rewatches. What a start though.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

HELL’S BELLS, TRUDY!

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Armin Tamzarian Dick Whitman was born a no-goodnik and he'll die a no-goodnik!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

what sort of name is january

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKgPTkIulEI

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SURPRISE, THERE'S AN AIRPLANE HERE TO SEE YOU!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm going to have to admit one thing about Mad Men that I don't know if it's a good/bad thing about the show.

So many other times that a hugely popular series hits TV, I'm aware of so many things about it even if I don't watch it. Never watched more than a handful of GOT, Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, etc. content, but I feel like, "Well, yeah, I know about the general stuff going on in the show and who is who." just from the cultural osmosis.

Mad Men? You could tell me about the episode where literal James Bond showed up to stop a Russian spy from putting subliminal messages in an ad and I'd just have to believe you that it was a real thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's a very character-driven show in a relatively low-stakes setting with a wide cast of main and recurring characters, there aren't many "events" as such that would easily break into the cultural consciousness in a way that a lot of its prestige contemporaries did. It reminds me of Orange Is The New Black in that regard, I didn't watch that and I feel the exact same way about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There definitely some important events, like the above mentioned lawnmower incident, the Toasted presentation, the Carousel pitch, the fight :colbert:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

git apologist posted:

what sort of name is january

it was perfect casting

crazy person playing a crazy person

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

There definitely some important events, like the above mentioned lawnmower incident, the Toasted presentation, the Carousel pitch, the fight :colbert:

Oh definitely, but nothing the magnitude of like the Red Wedding, "this is not meth", Ragnar becoming earl, the big things that happen on Mad Men tend not to be the kind of titanic :tviv: shockers that happen on a lot of other shows.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

AvesPKS posted:

Pete going bald is funny. But that scene when he hits rock bottom in the office is great.

I love Pete meekly submitting to Bob Benson. Pete has him all figured out but then he’s like “nah I know you con man types are always going to get the better of me in the end anyway”

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm going to have to admit one thing about Mad Men that I don't know if it's a good/bad thing about the show.

So many other times that a hugely popular series hits TV, I'm aware of so many things about it even if I don't watch it. Never watched more than a handful of GOT, Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, etc. content, but I feel like, "Well, yeah, I know about the general stuff going on in the show and who is who." just from the cultural osmosis.

Mad Men? You could tell me about the episode where literal James Bond showed up to stop a Russian spy from putting subliminal messages in an ad and I'd just have to believe you that it was a real thing.

Mad Men isn't a shock and awe show in the way Breaking Bad or GOT were. It's aiming for psychological depth and social commentary, not exciting plotlines. There are zero cliffhangers in the entire show. The most outlandish thing in the show is that Don assumed somebody else's identity and even that feels a bit out of place and isn't that important. In S1 when that fact is revealed to his boss, his boss just says 'who cares' and they move on.

So individual events don't get picked out of context for internet fame or reaction videos because without the context, they're nothing special. Some exception for the more obvious comedy moments like 'not great bob', but again, you've not no clue as to what that line is about.

It's a good thing about the show. I like the thriller shows too, but mad men is more grown up and less eager to please.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Nobody's brought this up yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXoILGnHnvM

great scene

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The big moments on mad men are big because of the context surrounding them. The part at the end of The Jet Set where Don calls Anna and says his actual name is shocking because of the two seasons leading up to it. The season 3 finale is a wonderful piece of work but the memorable scenes surrounding it all work because of the drudgery through the rest of the seasons work season and Connie Hilton stuff. And so on. Honestly the only scenes that I think work with no context as “big moments” are the carousel pitch and the miller meeting. And those are more just because of Jon hamm

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

JediTalentAgent posted:

So you'd say you don't think about it at all?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

to be fair, i did once work with a guy who would just disappear for hours at a time in the middle of the workday. no one knew where he went or why, and he never got fired. i'm not saying it's common, but it's doable.

Nov 6, 2002

Earwicker posted:

to be fair, i did once work with a guy who would just disappear for hours at a time in the middle of the workday. no one knew where he went or why, and he never got fired. i'm not saying it's common, but it's doable.

slow moving bowels

Nov 6, 2002

Lane Pryce hanging himself is a pretty big event.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Larry Cum Free posted:

I love Pete meekly submitting to Bob Benson. Pete has him all figured out but then he’s like “nah I know you con man types are always going to get the better of me in the end anyway”

Darn, edit:
I totally forgot Pete's mom got pushed off a cruise ship. And people say nothing happened on this show!

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 3, 2023

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

^^his boyfriend who was romance scamming her did! :eng101:

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The big moments on mad men are big because of the context surrounding them. The part at the end of The Jet Set where Don calls Anna and says his actual name is shocking because of the two seasons leading up to it. The season 3 finale is a wonderful piece of work but the memorable scenes surrounding it all work because of the drudgery through the rest of the seasons work season and Connie Hilton stuff. And so on. Honestly the only scenes that I think work with no context as “big moments” are the carousel pitch and the miller meeting. And those are more just because of Jon hamm

I don't think the Carousel scene even works if you don't know what an absolute disaster Don's life actually is as he shows the Norman Rockwell-rear end slides of his family.

Hey and a thanks to the jerkass OP who got us all reminiscing about how good Mad Men was!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Larry Cum Free posted:

I don't think the Carousel scene even works if you don't know what an absolute disaster Don's life actually is as he shows the Norman Rockwell-rear end slides of his family.

it does, just in a different way. i worked at an ad agency when the show first came out, and i refused to watch it because i didn't want to watch tv about work poo poo. but other people at work loved it, and this was also right around the time huge corporations were just starting to get on social media and figure out how to do internet marketing, so that scene was the first thing from the show i saw because people would literally play it meetings and talk about how this is what facebook is doing etc. and it definitely makes an impact even if you have no previous clue who Don is or what his life is like, it's a very well done scene

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 3, 2023

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Remember when Roger pissed Don off by hitting on Betty, so then Don took Roger out to lunch, stuffed Roger full of oysters and alcohol, bribed the elevator operator in their office building to shut the elevator down, forced Roger to climb the 23 flights of stairs up to their office, impassively watched Roger vomit all over himself in front of a client, and then walked off with a smile on his face?

:sickos:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Speaking of Don's family life reminded me of one actually nice moment where they have their little picnic on a hill, then when they're done Don just whips his beer can and Betty flips all the garbage off the blanket and they drive off. Good thing we've become so environmentally conscious now!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Which season ended with a look at where every character was and for Peggy she looked out her motel window to see to dogs loving. I'm not misremembering that? If I'm not, wtf did that mean?!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I think the closest I remember to an "OH HOLY gently caress" moment was Duck pulling his coup with the PPL purchase and finally having a one-up on Draper, only for Don to say, "I don't have a contract." Which then ends with Duck not being able to keep his cool because it's obvious that Don is a lynchpin in the entire deal, and that sinks Duck's chance to run the new subsidiary.

Something else I appreciated about the show is that they used the first couple of seasons to construct Don Draper, only to break him and deconstruct him in the later seasons. A lot of the younger executives at SC were envious of him, but once his marriage falls apart and he lives in that apartment, the new younger employees at SCDP don't have that mystique and see him as an old alcoholic. He eventually rebuilds when he marries Megan, but he still fucks up after that occasionally (like the Life Cereal pitch). So much so that when he drops that ending with Hershey's, he now has to be put on a leash. Even Roger had to admit to it.

Since he doesn't like being put on a leash, he gets the ball rolling on the eventual buy-out by McCann Erickson that he put the kibosh on only a year or two beforehand. It's the only thing that can rescue him, because they don't know his more recent past and still only know the myth, not the man.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Lane Pryce hanging himself is a pretty big event.

They set up his initial suicide attempt so well. They get the Jaguar account, which Cooper writes off as, "They're lemons!" So when he tries to suffocate himself with the tailpipe, he can't because the car won't stop.

That show had so many darkly funny moments.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Saalkin posted:

Which season ended with a look at where every character was and for Peggy she looked out her motel window to see to dogs loving. I'm not misremembering that? If I'm not, wtf did that mean?!

I want to say season 6. I think the whole point is that Peggy was seeing herself move on up as the executive that gets to travel, only to be reminded that it's just a motel and that you're going to occasionally have to deal with seeing two dogs loving.

It was also the same ending where Roger just stands naked in front of his giant window, hanging dong for all of New York to see. Dude's turned on to LSD and it's changing his entire worldview.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

Since he doesn't like being put on a leash, he gets the ball rolling on the eventual buy-out by McCann Erickson that he put the kibosh on only a year or two beforehand. It's the only thing that can rescue him, because they don't know his more recent past and still only know the myth, not the man.

That was great since he'd finally made the big time at McCann, only to discover that it's a soulless drone factory and he's now just one cog in a much bigger machine than he was expecting.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

McSpanky posted:

That was great since he'd finally made the big time at McCann, only to discover that it's a soulless drone factory and he's now just one cog in a much bigger machine than he was expecting.

But he learns to accept it!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

McSpanky posted:

I loved the shot of his two new bosses trying to be all hip and cool with suit-wearing Don by saying, "We're a shirt-sleeves operation here", and Don is just staring at them like, "Oh, poo poo, these guys don't get it."

That's how I took the scene, anyway. SC&P did a lot of great work because they were very flexible with their operation, and ME thinks it's just a matter of... not wearing a suit jacket once in a while.

Larry Cum Free posted:

But he learns to accept it!

I still remember reading Matthew Weiner always writing Don in such a way that you still hope things work out for him, but don't because he's his own worst enemy. Maybe in the "I'm OK, you're OK" 1970's he finally found that balance.

Nov 6, 2002

mojo1701a posted:

I loved the shot of his two new bosses trying to be all hip and cool with suit-wearing Don by saying, "We're a shirt-sleeves operation here", and Don is just staring at them like, "Oh, poo poo, these guys don't get it."

That's how I took the scene, anyway. SC&P did a lot of great work because they were very flexible with their operation, and ME thinks it's just a matter of... not wearing a suit jacket once in a while.

I still remember reading Matthew Weiner always writing Don in such a way that you still hope things work out for him, but don't because he's his own worst enemy. Maybe in the "I'm OK, you're OK" 1970's he finally found that balance.

yes

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I like the clothes

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I always found the ending to be super loving depressing. Don goes through all this horrendous, deeply painful psychological barrier breaking, having the guts to just leave mccann by walking away, giving his entire share of the sale to megan, giving away his car, winding up at the weirdo therapy camp on the coast, accepting himself for who he is, having an utter breakdown while talking to the only woman who really knows him, finding inner peace... and using that insight and experience to come back and sell coca cola. How intensely, deeply cynical.

OP don't read this post yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I read somewhere that John Ham was borderline homeless and thought about living in his car at one point before being cast in this show and then had to deal with a lot of attention suddenly

also he’s friends with kristen wigg irl and that’s what they did some much comedy stuff together (I like kristen wigg)