Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FrozenVent posted:

At least in GBS, maybe three or four hours after the second tower fell.

GBS, When the Towers Fell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Japan still hasn't come around to owning up what they did during World War 2 and it remains really bizarre.

Yeah, was interesting to learn recently how brutal they were during late war occupations in Vietnam when they had zero chance of victory, or razing Manila out of spite. And they still barely surrendered when they did.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ugh a Seattle news network that had fairly normal local coverage was mandated to let that guy have like two minutes of hate during every broadcast a few years ago. It was not subtle.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kesper North posted:

I live in Seattle. You're talking about Sinclair Broadcasting's takeover of KOMO. They've done a lot with it. Also where the entire "Seattle is Dying" narrative gestated.

Yup. Also when assisting an elderly relative with a computer virus scare, I suspect their website sells ad space to scammers. Thankfully my previous instructions of “if computer is acting weird put it down & let me know” were followed in that case.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Its a totally reasonable thing for someone her age to do. I think the real issue is that we have people this old working in Congress

Still wild FDR was in his 50s when WWII started.

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's reasonable, but so would removing her from Congress. If she can't make her own decisions, she shouldn't be making decisions for the country. If she is too old to be trusted with her own money, she shouldn't get to decide how we spend.

They will cart her rear end in on life support with a Servitor Skull if we allow it.

Agreed it’s an absurd situation, but given the razor thin Senate majority and rules governing the judiciary committee isn’t this preferable to if she resigned and was replaced with a junior senator? I thought (and I may be wrong) that if she left the Dems wouldn’t have the votes to replace her on the committee & the GOP would happily refuse to advance any Biden judge nominees, which are critical for slightly offsetting the harm done by trump? Especially as if a GOP prez gets in they’d speedrun packing those seats immediately.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 3, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Too soon to tell if there will be consequences but hoping he’ll learn that contempt of court is a thing and maybe that will deplete his already shallow pool of lawyers willing to defend him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dunno if this has been answered elsewhere but how does it work if he’s indicted in DC, Florida, & Georgia, trial wise? Would assume there are some fairness rules about how the trials couldn’t be happening at the same time, do the courts just work that out among themselves?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That makes sense. On another note is there a possibility if he gets stupid enough to directly threaten the DC judge that he’ll be locked up for contempt pending trial? Would guess that’s possible for any defendant but he has a ridiculously long leash but there must be a limit.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gotcha makes sense, wondering if it might reach a lockup point if some loonie in a red hat shows up at the judge’s kid’s school or something.

Baffling how defendants told to stay off social media can’t help themselves. When the Pulp Fiction co-writer was in trouble for manslaughter he got kicked out of a work furlough program and into jail because he wouldn’t stop tweeting about prison life.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That Works posted:

Also makes one wonder how much longer / more bitter a postwar occupation period would have been if US soldiers had spent a year or two fighting on the mainland. Without the bombs I imagine you would have had a real mess of some places capitulating and others needing to be effectively killed down to the last person resisting.

Yeah, the book Embracing Defeat is a fascinating look at postwar Japan and the occupation. Definitely worth your time to learn stuff like:

-Japan had so little concern for their men that they weren’t sure where hundreds of thousands of them were at the end of the war, so they didn’t have a fun time getting home.

-Japanese had to rely on the black market for basic nutrition, one guy tried to only eat his legal allotment & promptly starved.

-for an ultra conservative nation their constitution is surprisingly progressive giving legal equality between men and women, as an Austrian-American Jewish woman Beate Sirota Gordon was on the drafting committee and made sure that got in.

-fascinating info on some die hards who had thought the Emperor was divine doing their own research & realizing how stupid and wasteful the war was.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The MacArthur Shogunate would’ve been invaded as a communist nation if anyone in Washington was paying attention.

Apparently US advisors also tried to slip a clause into the constitution giving non-Japanese full rights but Japan changed the phrasing enough to make it toothless.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Added to my reading list, thanks for sharing!

I finished reading Ian Toll's Pacific War trilogy a few months back, and while I've done a ton of reading on the post-war occupation (echoing Embracing Defeat as a recommended book here) and the bombings themselves, I was not aware until very recently how intense the kamikaze bombings were during Okinawa. The Navy had around ~5K in casualties alone (compared to the Marines ~3K) resulting mainly from kamikaze attacks which is very :stare: when you realize how much those attacks would have picked up had Downfall happened.

Oh yeah that series is fantastic. Agreed I hadn’t know how effective kamikazes were late war inflicting massive damage. Or how US industry was so ridiculously prolific they had a destroyer whose main job was rotating movies, or how the construction on Guam got so over the top with baseball fields and other luxuries they had to rein it in.

Spoggerific posted:

That isn't to say that all of Japan completely denies or refuses to address Japanese warcrimes, though. I have seen history shows on TV that address things like soldiers urging civilians to commit suicide on Okinawa, and there's a general awareness that Japan did some Bad Things to women in Korea, partially thanks to Korea (rightfully) constantly demanding an apology that hasn't properly come.

Yeah there were so many it’s hard to comprehend. Especially stuff like Japan losing the Battle of Manila so decided to kill as many civilians as possible for fun. Or how nearly 10% of Vietnam died during the occupation from famine (although that was partly on the French government.)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Not sure about the claim but aren’t Occupy Democrats considered unreliable?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

it’s bad, non-paywall link to coverage: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/0...&smid=url-share

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just a head's up, Elon Musk is melting down about Zuck calling him not serious about fighting, and there's a small but non-zero chance he's going to be found screaming "FIGHT ME" in Zuck's driveway.

Wonder who would win if their security details fought it out. Probably Zuck’s as the FB board would have hired real professionals without consideration of what musk would prioritize.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Musk hires fuckwits that wish they got their shot in Rhodesia, if I had to guess the profile of a random employee.

They’re probably busy buying up property in Rivington, NC.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Non-paywall link to in-depth NYtimes coverage: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/0...&smid=url-share

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wondering if the nonstop legal bills will have a serious impact. Does he have three different teams for the three cases? I know an evil billionaire donor could pay them but hoping it slows down his ads or ground game or whatever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

At one point, Donnie's PAC had $100m. He still has lots of small donors available, but that number was recently down to $4m primarily due to legal costs. He even had to pull back a $60m cash transfer to a SuperPAC that he intended to use on ads and stuff.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/31/us/politics/trump-pac-filing.html

Since Donnie is adamant about not using his own money for stuff like this, he's basically raiding every campaign fund he can touch. That also has second-order effects, as he's not exactly raising money for other Republicans even when he says he is.

And those other indictees aren't exactly rich and lol if you think Donnie is going to pay their costs. Though also lol if he pays just to prevent them flipping.

Ah makes sense. Also hoping the quality of lawyers he gets pad every bill to speed run draining his coffers. Hoping they don’t coordinate so the defense presented under oath at one trial wrecks his defense in another venue.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Screenshotting for posterity since I can't imagine that context is going to stay up lol

Lol it was interesting to learn how Apple does care about the quality of their App Store & when Uber was screwing around with user data & tracking even after the app was deleted then lying about it to Apple they were close to getting kicked out. Guessing Twitter will learn that too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wonder if he has back/knee issues that aren’t reported as he wasn’t getting real physicals, like how he probably needs glasses but won’t wear them.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Trump dying when his plane crashes into the north Atlantic on his way to flee to Russia because he was as cheap with maintenance as he is with everything else would be goddamn hilarious.

Lol like Herman trying to get away using counterfeit jeans on the zip line.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Why does anyone still voluntarily live in Florida

Checking on the motivations of the daughter of a close family friend who elected to sell their Seattle area house they’d never be able to afford again & move to Orlando with milquetoast husband & two small kids, in this case it’s a combo of:

-a month long Disneyworld vacation last November. It’s silly but this person legit didn’t seem to realize Orlando weather differs between November & summer, and has been constantly flying back to Seattle for week long visits.

-being absurdly bad at long term planning/money. Another reason for the Seattle visits is to attend MLM juice selling meetings at a resort.

-also didn’t seem to care that living near grandparents who watched their kids each day for free then abruptly moving away would be upsetting, and that Florida doesn’t offer free childcare.

-DisneyDisneyDisney

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Disney people will always send chills up and down my spine

Yeah coworker got engaged at Disneyland, honeymoon will be Disneyland, the wedding theme & every item on the registry… you get the idea.

It’s a bit creepy talking to them as their only goal is to return to Disneyland or acquire more Disney products, zero else.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The point to having a pass is that you can pop in for 30 minutes at weird times like near closing when there are no lines.

Naturally Disney had to get rid of that type of thing so passes don’t work like that anymore

Oh yeah I listen to comedy podcasts based in LA & sounds like it used to be fairly common to have an annual pass maybe a decade ago as it got used enough to be a decent value, especially for single young people living nearby who can get there during off peak months. Seems like the prices/lines are up enough it’s not as popular now among that crowd.

Mustang posted:

As someone that grew up and lived in Florida for 15 years of my life and now lives in Seattle, your friends daughter is one of the dumbest mother fuckers on this planet. Like I cannot even loving imagine how anyone could compare the two and think FL wins out. There are a lot of stupid fucks around Seattle that are extremely ignorant of the world outside of the PNW though.

How can you say that when I didn’t mention spending six figures that required multiple mortgages to become an unemployed life coach or how this person has four MLM schemes on their FB profile page?

Especially ridiculous as this family was doing ok as the husband who appears incapable of vetoing anything that will ruin his life has a good job & all they had to do was stay the course & would have been fine. Maybe set aside two weeks a year & a few thousand dollars for mom to go to Disney as a safety valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is tangential but wasn't there a huge anti-corruption investigation many years ago that nabbed a bunch of sitting congressmen and senators? I tried googling it but had no luck

I hope so

Yeah https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam