Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

I briefly flipped to FOX during The Five because I apparently hate myself and Watters was crowing about "Well, if he's in trouble for LYING about the election then HILLARY..."

Their initial reaction when they received the printed-out indictment was for Waters to say “PROVE that he knew the allegations of fraud were false.” :smug:

Not realizing they are likely going to do exactly this by having people who have flipped testify to that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Back on bomb/operation downfall chat, I read this book several years ago.

It goes into great detail about how the initial landing was going to have to be on Kyushu, and how and why the Japanese knew exactly where and when it was going to happen.

There is a lot more in the book. I realize there are a lot of people around who say the Japanese would not have resisted as fiercely as the US military believed.

This book pretty much outlines a worst-case scenario of resistance.

The author claims that postwar inspection showed that they had something like 9-10,000 planes and plenty of fuel hidden away, and that the one-way trips most of these would have taken would have been an extremely simple navigational problem— takeoff from Honshu and use the coasts and/or interior of Japan as navigational references, to make a short flight southwest to the invasion fleet.

Also that the Japanese would have had about 750,000 military personnel on Kyushu by November, when the landings were to take place.

It’s pretty horrific to think about, in terms of both military and civilian casualties. Not that the A-bombs, firebombing, and mining of Japanese ports weren’t also horrific, of course.

Anyway, it’s well worth a read if you are interested.

Hell to Pay: Operation DOWNFALL and the Invasion of Japan, 1945–1947

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

stealie72 posted:

And like so many people in the US, my grandpa was on one of those boats heading toward Japan, so I'm never going to be impartial about the nukes. Maybe in another generation.

It is the same for me. Mine was on the Idaho, a battleship, and would 100% have been there.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Merchant marine had a rough rear end time in the Atlantic, I’m not sure if they had a higher casualty ratio than the marines did in the pacific though.

They of course got utterly hosed on pay and benefits.

I had meant to include a quote from the book I mentioned earlier, but couldn't find the Kindle. Now that I have, and that I read this post, I also found this quote I'd highlighted in there:

quote:

The number of Merchant Marine personnel who were killed in action, died of wounds, and died while prisoners of war during World War II is approximately 9,521, or 1 in every 26, as opposed to the next closest group, the U.S. Marines, which suffered 1 in every 34 to these three categories, and the Army (including the Army Air Force), which stood at 1 in 48.

Anyway, the quote about the invasion I meant to include in my first post is this one:

quote:

To put it bluntly they had figured us out. Colonel Hattori Takushiro (twice chief of the Army General Staff’s Operations Section and secretary to the war minister, General Anami Korechita) not only told U.S. Army interrogators in 1945 that they expected the initial invasion to be launched on Kyushu in October 1945 but also named the precise locations of the landings. Instead of a grinding war of attrition, the American military hoped for a less-costly battle of maneuver, but what Hattori told the Sixth Army’s Intelligence chief Col. Horton V. White just after the surrender indicated that this had not been in the cards, and it must have made the intel officer’s hair stand on end:

quote:

They expected [the invasion] to be made during or after October 1945, they expected it to be made in southern Kyushu, and that our landing would be made on the beaches of Miyazaki, Ariake Wan, and Satsuma Peninsula. Their available combat forces had been deployed according to these expectations, with reserves being strengthened when hostilities ceased.... The Japanese forces planned to make a final stand near the beaches and units were instructed to remain in place until annihilated. Heavy counter-offensives in the beach areas were planned and little preparation was made for defense in depth.

Also

quote:

Okinawa represented the first coordinated effort by Japanese pilots to use cliffs and hills to foil U.S. radar. The size of the island and the distances to be flown from Japanese air bases, together with the fact that the Japanese had only just begun to experiment in this area, initially limited the usefulness of such tactics, but successes were nonetheless numerous.54 The literature is replete with references by sailors, in ships that were close ashore, to kamikazes appearing so suddenly that even fully alert crews had little time to respond.

Jack Moore, who later served as a radar man in the Fletcher-class destroyer Wadleigh (DD-689), noted that had the Japanese used such tactics during operations off Leyte, a tactical setting disturbingly similar to that of Operations Coronet and Olympic, the Wadleigh and many other ships might well have been sunk: “When one had altitude, you could pick it up without much trouble. If they’d come out of those hills—coming in low rather than flying up here around 10,000 feet and diving down, frankly, they could have massacred us in the Philippines.”

And lastly

quote:

One matter that set off urgent alarm bells within the U.S. Navy in the war’s very last days was that the Japanese had begun to launch kamikaze attacks of a type for which there was no effective defense. Japan’s naval air arm had inadvertently stumbled upon the fact that the thousands of largely wooden trainers that they had redesignated as combat aircraft were functionally invisible to radar, and now that they had the night-qualified pilots to fly them, the Japanese had the ability to stealthily attack U.S. warships before few, if any, guns could be brought to bear on the aircraft.

OK I promise I will shut up about the book now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Someone I went to HS with lived in Lahaina. They had a house and a business there.

He said it was terrifying how fast it moved. A couple of people on Facebook said things like “Glad you guys are okay, the news made it sound horrible” and he responded by saying “There is just no way they could make it sound worse than it really was.”

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kesper North posted:

We don't have to hand it to either one of them

We certainly don’t. But at the same time there is nothing wrong with calling Failon what he is: an absolutely insecure pussy who called somebody out, and is now looking for any angle to back out of it, and then shitposting about it on his private website so all his followers pile on.

Saying that doesn’t make Zuckerberg look any better.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Ever since Mark Hammill did it, I can't NOT hear donny's dumb loving tweets/truths/turds in the voice of the Joker. It makes reading all these dumb things much more fun.

Haha! I had totally forgotten about that, and it was indeed fantastic

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wonder if he has back/knee issues that aren’t reported as he wasn’t getting real physicals, like how he probably needs glasses but won’t wear them.

He does wear them, just never in public. I personally can only remember seeing just one pic of him wearing glasses, among all the tens of thousands of pics of him.

I think it was snapped somewhat recently by someone on the street as his motorcade passed by, maybe on the way to the courthouse in Florida. His window was closed but you could see he was wearing glasses in the car.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Good training, Marines!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

4s and 5s happen, but what you feel of course depends on how close it is to you.

There was a 7.something several years ago 250 miles away or so from us, and the house didn’t shake so much as gently rolled like we were on the ocean. Made the chandeliers swing but nothing fell off the walls.

The biggest one I ever felt was only a 4.2, but the epicenter was only about four miles away from my house.

We live near a small airport, the Van Nuys airport. When that one started, my first, immediate thought was that a small plane had crashed into the house or right next to the house. The shaking and the noise was that loud.

Within a couple of seconds I knew what it was, and it was thankfully very short.

I have to confess, before the one today I was already a little concerned about what dumping huge amounts of water onto fault lines might do. But I don’t really know enough about that to guess.

All I can say is, we don’t need any more hurriquake action here right now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s right out of the recent horror film “Smile”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

So a J6 chud got the best possible draw of judge (trump appointee, coming in light on J6 sentences and bench trials). The chud promptly decided to represent himself, declared the whole thing to be a kangaroo court, and just got slapped with a 5 month sentence. Not for a conviction, but due to contempt of court, before the jury even came back. The case just wrapped up and the jury is deliberating.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1696642141621993983?t=d1c8_Q5XxMUBSu6VWlN8BA&s=19

If I remember correctly, this is the one who wore the big fake red beard on 1/6.

He’s also the lunatic who wanted to put his former attorney on the stand during the trial to expose her “criminal malpractice” and also in the process of representing himself, inadvertently admitted to obstruction of justice and perjury that he hadn’t actually been charged with.

In court filings that he wrote himself, he also compared himself to Jesus.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 30, 2023