Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That's some Biblical poo poo.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This storm also isn't going to hit a hurricane-ready area:

https://twitter.com/steveschale/status/1696536883625627778?t=hfs8vis46ihrnS3U0gZ12A&s=19

So it's probably going to be a whole lot of Not Great once it makes landfall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Folks, I suspect that this region may be unprepared for hurricanes.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
That area is referred to as the nature coast and is very much old Florida. Lots of old construction and nothing is going to be elevated there. It’s also a full super moon so the tides are already up. Rapid intensification expected as it gets into the warm gulf with low shear expected. Happy I’m not flying it because RI is nasty to fly in - lots of dynamic stuff embedded into it due to everything going into overdrive.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm on vacation in Daytona and picked up the rona either on the plane down here or at one of the races I attended this weekend.

At the risk of sounding greedy, I'm glad the impact here is said to be likely minimal, but it sucks either way.

Ryan Hall Y'all's live stream is a pro click on YT if you're into/need to track weather. If you're in Central Florida, Tony Mainolfi from WESH is fantastic.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

It’s extremely rural, and economically poor.

Well that sucks. Lots of people will get hosed and nobody will care or change anything because it's not enough money.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Only silver lining is that the population density in that area is <10 people per square mile with most of the actual coastline being swamps and wildlife preserves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
When he said old florida he meant it. We got off the interstate once when I was a kid to see what it was like before and it's like travelling back in time. Little cinder block motor lodges, stuff like that. Quaint and oddly charming though I suspect 2+ decades of florida weather and capitalism have probably made it even sadder than it was at the time.

Perry Florida is a family in joke for being a little secluded nowhere town in the middle of a wilderness

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

Folks, I suspect that this region may be unprepared for hurricanes.

i have my thoughts and prayers ready for them

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So a J6 chud got the best possible draw of judge (trump appointee, coming in light on J6 sentences and bench trials). The chud promptly decided to represent himself, declared the whole thing to be a kangaroo court, and just got slapped with a 5 month sentence. Not for a conviction, but due to contempt of court, before the jury even came back. The case just wrapped up and the jury is deliberating.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1696642141621993983?t=d1c8_Q5XxMUBSu6VWlN8BA&s=19

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hopefully it's a saving grace that so much of the Big Bend coast is still wetlands, mangroves, and swamps that can protect the more inhabited inland areas from the storm surge.

Also if it hits Tally and drops a big rear end oak tree on the governor's mansion my rear end will be at every single high holy days service in a few weeks.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

So a J6 chud got the best possible draw of judge (trump appointee, coming in light on J6 sentences and bench trials). The chud promptly decided to represent himself, declared the whole thing to be a kangaroo court, and just got slapped with a 5 month sentence. Not for a conviction, but due to contempt of court, before the jury even came back. The case just wrapped up and the jury is deliberating.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1696642141621993983?t=d1c8_Q5XxMUBSu6VWlN8BA&s=19

If I remember correctly, this is the one who wore the big fake red beard on 1/6.

He’s also the lunatic who wanted to put his former attorney on the stand during the trial to expose her “criminal malpractice” and also in the process of representing himself, inadvertently admitted to obstruction of justice and perjury that he hadn’t actually been charged with.

In court filings that he wrote himself, he also compared himself to Jesus.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 30, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

MrMojok posted:

If I remember correctly, this is the most me who wore the big fake red beard on 1/6.

He’s also the lunatic who wanted to put his former attorney on the stand during the trial to expose her “criminal malpractice” and also in the process of representing himself, inadvertently admitted to obstruction of justice and perjury that he hadn’t actually been charged with.

Boomers and Gen Xers had tons and tons of lead in the air back in their day, what made him that way

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Boomers and Gen Xers had tons and tons of lead in the air back in their day, what made him that way

Microplastics

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm on vacation in Daytona and picked up the rona either on the plane down here or at one of the races I attended this weekend.

At the risk of sounding greedy, I'm glad the impact here is said to be likely minimal, but it sucks either way.

Ryan Hall Y'all's live stream is a pro click on YT if you're into/need to track weather. If you're in Central Florida, Tony Mainolfi from WESH is fantastic.

Semi related, there has been a large uptick of COVID cases in my area, likely due to school starting back up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

If you have a lawsuit against 3M because of the combat earplugs, it looks like the fight is finally coming to a middle.

https://www.wsj.com/business/3m-settlement-earplug-veteran-hearing-loss-26a3038f

3M's board has authorized a $6 billion settlement. There are about 260,000 lawsuits over this and while folk with more damaged hearing will get more than folk with just tinnitus, I think I'm going to end up with enough to leave happy.

Unless this covers the stupid blue/yellow foamies, I'm SOL.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MrMojok posted:

If I remember correctly, this is the one who wore the big fake red beard on 1/6.

Here's the link to the confirming #1: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/jan-6-defendant-compares-brett-kavanaugh-trial-rcna101080

And a bonus: he was picked up 10 days after J6 on a misdemeanor, got charged with a felony, then got pretrial detention because he called his probation officer's mother and harassed a former girlfriend.

And confirmation on #2, as the Jesus poo poo was apparently during a bond hearing back in 2021 with the obstruction and perjury admissions: https://www.businessinsider.com/self-represented-capitol-rioter-compares-himself-to-jesus-docs-2021-12

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The federal judge looking over Meadows' removal attempt asked for limited briefing today. The judge wants to know if removal is proper if only a single action meadows took in count #1 of the indictment is sufficient to remove. Essentially he's asking if some are under color of law and some aren't, which one wins?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1696659914070913142?s=20

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Semi related, there has been a large uptick of COVID cases in my area, likely due to school starting back up.

There's definitely a surge going on right now. There's a new "variant of concern" called Eris that apparently has the potential for even more immune evasion than other Omicron variants, although it doesn't appear to be more virulent than its counterparts. That said, I know several people who never got COVID from 2020 onward who have gotten this one, so basically you have an infinitely more likely chance of successfully participating in the Eris world tour than you do the Eras tour.

I'll show myself out. :dadjoke:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There's definitely a surge going on right now. There's a new "variant of concern" called Eris that apparently has the potential for even more immune evasion than other Omicron variants, although it doesn't appear to be more virulent than its counterparts. That said, I know several people who never got COVID from 2020 onward who have gotten this one, so basically you have an infinitely more likely chance of successfully participating in the Eris world tour than you do the Eras tour.

I'll show myself out. :dadjoke:
I'm currently one of these stats, and on day 5 of a very mild case. I've got all the vax/boosters and have evaded for 3.5 years, but one of my kids got me because she had so mild of a case that we thought it was allergies until I had a stuffy nose and tickly throat on friday afternoon and then woke up at 4AM with body aches and tested both of us.

Doctor's office confirmed there's been an uptick in our area.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's also not ideal that the updated COVID vaccines won't be available until mid-September at the soonest. I would've happily got mine about two weeks ago once all the anecdotal reports of "hey, I got COVID, that was weird".

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah had a physical last week and my doc said wait till the end of September, first week of October for the new vaccine. She said it's basically like the flu shot at this point.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have seen literally no guidance about getting anything after the third shot. First, it was "ehhh well, maybe, we're thinking about it" for what seemed like forever. Now silence (or at least no media coverage). I guess now I know to shop around for it in a few weeks.

I think* I am one of the lucky ones who has never had it, but given how common asymptomatic infections are, I don't think anyone can say for sure.

* I came down with what I thought was a minor sinus bug over Christmas 2021, but we were out of test kits, and it passed within a couple days. A week later, my wife tested positive (asymptomatically). I tested negative at that point, so who knows.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have seen literally no guidance about getting anything after the third shot. First, it was "ehhh well, maybe, we're thinking about it" for what seemed like forever. Now silence (or at least no media coverage). I guess now I know to shop around for it in a few weeks.

This is likely why the shots are getting delayed-ish. Everyone involved is likely requiring more data as to effectiveness to figure out the recommendations on if everyone should get a new booster, or if it should be more targeted. We're not in a total emergency anymore, so the medical folks are demanding more time in evaluating the new formulations.

That's also why Biden said last week that the likely recommendation would be for everyone to get the updated shot, but it hasn't been completely determined yet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

That's also why Biden said last week that the likely recommendation would be for everyone to get the updated shot, but it hasn't been completely determined yet.

I want to say the shots in arms for the boosters dropped off precipitously after the first one. I took every shot I could as, before moving, I was working in-patient at a psychiatric hospital so I wanted any and everything to help if I contracted it. Hopefully folks will do the flu/COVID booster at the same time to get that protection

Edit: Here's a nice breakdown from Kaiser https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/dashboard/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-dashboard/#vaccines

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

stealie72 posted:

I'm currently one of these stats, and on day 5 of a very mild case. I've got all the vax/boosters and have evaded for 3.5 years, but one of my kids got me because she had so mild of a case that we thought it was allergies until I had a stuffy nose and tickly throat on friday afternoon and then woke up at 4AM with body aches and tested both of us.

Same here (day 3, tested positive yesterday), though I've been expecting to get it at some point due to going on vacations with crowds of people and just coming back from one. My youngest child had basically cold symptoms and tested negative and is now entirely better, while my wife and other child have no symptoms and are testing negative. I had about 36 hours of light symptoms that could have been allergies and then 18 hours of somewhat runny nose and body aches and headaches, during which time I tested positive.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm flying in part to visit family this weekend. I would absolutely have gotten a booster if it was available. As is I rescheduled so that visiting my elderly grandma is the first thing I do on this trip instead of the last. Don't want to pick up covid and give it to her before I even have a chance to develop symptoms and know not to see her.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Rudy's having a rough one!

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1696896840774439367?t=cajM8KrFZdyJXQIMvv5qlA&s=19

Defaulted on discovery, fined $132k for his bullshit in discovery, and sure not looking great for the upcoming trial!

Edit: oh this is a full-blown loss of the lawsuit, now it's into calculating the damages. Truly the Alex Jones strategy.

Edit2: oh and he can't even appeal a loss on 1st amendment grounds (likely his previous strategy) because he lost based on the defaulting and not anything having to do with the actual lawsuit lol and lmao

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 30, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I see Giuliani learned from Alex Jones.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm flying in part to visit family this weekend. I would absolutely have gotten a booster if it was available. As is I rescheduled so that visiting my elderly grandma is the first thing I do on this trip instead of the last. Don't want to pick up covid and give it to her before I even have a chance to develop symptoms and know not to see her.

Wear an N95 respirator through the airport and on the plane. You can probably get a disposable (like a 3M brand Aura) from the paint section of Home Depot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1696681639089471560

Also, I feel like the current thread title is evergreen enough to carry over to September.

stealie72 posted:

For context, I also avoided it completely, had all four shots (erroneously told Urgent Care I had three), and still got this variant.

-Day 0, Sunday (using CDC's terminology)- sore throat during the day that descended into a fever and chills by nighttime. Went to bed early, woke up an hour later and was on and off from there.
-Day 1, Monday- Mild sore throat, ears plugged, with fever, but no chills. Extra fatigue but, if not for the sore throat, I might not have felt too badly.
-Day 2, Tuesday- Basically the same as 1 but with sub-100 temps.
-Day 3, today- moderate-to-painful sore throat overnight that even the lidocaine mouthwash (which I didn't even know was a THING until this week) wasn't tamping down.

Dollar Tree Day/NyQuil goes a long way to making it tolerable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What tragedy is that video about? I can't really pick out any of the audio.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Godholio posted:

The Jacksonville shooting.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah apparently there was a shooting that slipped entirely by my notice probably because they're almost background noise at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Rudy's having a rough one!

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1696896840774439367?t=cajM8KrFZdyJXQIMvv5qlA&s=19

Defaulted on discovery, fined $132k for his bullshit in discovery, and sure not looking great for the upcoming trial!

Edit: oh this is a full-blown loss of the lawsuit, now it's into calculating the damages. Truly the Alex Jones strategy.

Edit2: oh and he can't even appeal a loss on 1st amendment grounds (likely his previous strategy) because he lost based on the defaulting and not anything having to do with the actual lawsuit lol and lmao

The $130k was already fined. New fines will be levied because of this (lawyers will have to submit the bill etc). He has to pay the old fines and new ones or face even more sanctions in the form of stripping his ability to present evidence or a defense to mitigate damages.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Some dude with nazi tattoos deliberately killed a bunch of black people in Jacksonville.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some dude with nazi tattoos deliberately killed a bunch of black people in Jacksonville.

Ah, so another completely ambiguous lone wolf killer whose agenda we will never understand and by the way he might be an antifa super soldier transgender fed plant really makes you think huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
McConnell malfunctioned again:

https://twitter.com/HannahPThomas/status/1696936240040321474?t=QdKoAjOEmI372GbpN8IBGQ&s=19

bird food bathtub posted:

Ah, so another completely ambiguous lone wolf killer whose agenda we will never understand and by the way he might be an antifa super soldier transgender fed plant really makes you think huh?

NYT still refused to use "racist" even with the swastikas on the gun and pro-rhodesia comments, plus how he originally tried to shoot up the nearby HBCU but got denied.