Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I hope the small child the Panthers adopted throws all the TDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Finally, we'll be free

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

You know, I don’t. Weird.

Crazy, me either

(tho it would be funny)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Yeah, the article's not wrong in saying that he's a bad owner; yeah, Cam's shoulder exploding was out of his control, but I have the feeling he would have been cleaning house even if things hadn't gone to poo poo.

But anyways,

ozymandius1024 posted:

I really, really hope that Bryce Young is good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Pepsi was invented in North Carolina. This is blasphemy

Yeah. I was shocked when they made the switch to Coke.

It's akin to making Chik-fil-A the official chicken of the Saints

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if this season ended with all of us having similar records again.

Also wouldn't be shocked if one of us finished in the bottom three and one or two of us had winning records

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Not a whole lot to report from the Panthers' snoozefest this weekend, but a few quick takeaways cause why not:

-The first-team OL's performance was utterly horrific, and a couple of our backups should absolutely never see the field again (it blows my mind that Michael Jordan managed to survive the regime change and is still on this roster, because holy poo poo WHY). On one hand, the Jets' DL is probably the best this team will see all year, and is a deep unit as well; on the other, the OL still needs to clean up a lot and quickly for Young's sake. Not panicking about this because it's preseason and the line was pretty decent last year, but yeah, that was still ugly as hell to watch.

-Speaking of, I liked what little we saw of Young. He seemed quick and decisive but also careful with the ball, and shrugged off some big hits. The offensive gameplan, such as it was, was the most vanilla poo poo I've ever seen, so between that and the OL getting blown off the ball two seconds after every snap, he didn't really have an opportunity to make explosive plays. The foundation looks like it's there, though.

-Holy poo poo, there is absolutely no depth in the RB room. I've never been a huge Hubbard fan and he showed me nothing as the lead back with Sanders sitting out, so from where I'm sitting, we need to pray Sanders stays healthy and can be a workhorse back. (Spencer Brown had some nice moments, but has that feel of "preseason standout who doesn't actually do anything.") Maybe I'm just weirdly down on this unit or something, but we could end up missing D'Onta Foreman more than D.J. Moore.

-OL performance is a little concerning because it reminded me of the '21 season where we were bottom of the league bad, which is uh, a problem when we have a short rookie QB. If Bryce ends up being good, then the last thing I wanna see is a bad OL. Tua and Burrow are prime examples of why that's a problem. But as you said, preseason, take with a grain of salt, etc.

-I know RBs are severely undervalued rn, but not resigning Foreman baffled me. He put in work last year

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm usually of the mind that playing well in preseason doesn't mean anything (hi 0-16 Lions), but you would still prefer the team to not look like poo poo. They're playing vanilla as hell game plans, and didn't play Sanders/Houston/Burns/Brown, so I'll just be over here huffing some copium.

Matt Corral is absolutely poo poo though.

:hmmyes: to all of this

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I think the hurricane turned right a bit so it won't be as bad for LA (worse for Baja). I dunno better safe than sorry in these situations though?

Oh, that's right.

There's an irony in the Saints heading to the West Coast just in time for a hurricane there

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I think we should all just be thankful that Carson Wentz hasn't made his way to the NFCS.

*shudders*

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

On the other hand, Matt Rhule

I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, but if you compare McVay to Rhule...

Yeah, it was really unfortunate for both Darnold and Baker to try and rebuild with him. I dunno if either had a chance before him, but he didn't help in the slightest

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

wandler20 posted:

NFCS Prediction:

Panthers 7-10 (win division on tiebreakers)
Saints 7-10
Falcons 7-10
Bucs 6-11

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I don't know about the rest of the teams but 9-8 seems like an optimistic but possible outcome for the Bucs. I really do think all we truly needed was a not-Jameis level QB, now obviously Brady was way beyond that level, but as long as Baker doesn't throw 30 INTs I think we can win plenty of games, maybe even get a weird wild card win before getting trounced in the divisional round.

tbh I'd be shocked if any team in the NFCS made it past the wild card.

Only thing more shocking would be if we sent two teams to the playoffs

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

wandler20 posted:

This is true but the state of the NFC in general isn't exactly great.

Fair. It's not impossible, but I still think it's very unlikely.

WampaLord posted:

there was a beautiful moment last season when it seemed possible for the entire division to end up with a 6-11 record and I would love to see that sort of thing happen

Same. If any division has it in them to do it, it's ours

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

WampaLord posted:

loving cheap rear end owners letting Evans go to free agency :argh:

I really do think that he'll get traded before the deadline, especially if he's still producing at a high level and the Bucs are bad this season, so maybe he'll get another crack at a ring.

But if he does go to FA, then he'll have one last shot at getting paid, at least?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm not ready to say Bryce is bad but boy he feels really teddy bridgwater-y

Yeah.

I'm going to hold off on a hot take because he's a rookie QB with a new coaching staff in his first game, but man I'm annoyed we gave up what we did to get him

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I don’t know if I’d call horn a bust, because he’s been one of the better corner in the league when he plays, but I’m kinda done with him.

He’s never going to be healthy.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate, and I think him going out is where it all really started snowballing for us.

That and the third turnover

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I can't believe the Bears took DJ Moore just to waste him in whatever that offense is supposed to be.

Hopefully for his sake things will improve, because he was great in the poo poo offenses Carolina was running and if he can't do it in Chicago... yikes.

Maybe he'll be willing to come back

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

*sighs*

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Not that anyone here is surprised:

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1702775680537165946

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

NFC South #1 seed + all 3 wild cards

This would be just as hilarious as every team in the NFCS going 7-10 like we were joking about coming into the season, but for entirely different reasons

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

when they're right, they're right

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

These first two Saints games have been the most boring games I've ever seen. It's nice to have a good defense, but we apparently can't score TDs until the 4th quarter.

Olave was the only interesting thing about that game as far as offense went and he bailed Carr out last night. Game would have been even more dire to watch otherwise

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

I blame David Tepper for everything.

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

Absolutely.

They can make the excuse of injuries, but Seattle has almost their whole OL injured and some major contributors out on defense and still kicked the poo poo out of the Panthers.

Yup. Andy and the defense did what they could, but gently caress, there's no excuse for what happened tonight

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

Oh this loss is not on Andy Dalton at all. He missed a couple of throws, but there's only so much you can do when your WRs are dropping poo poo and your OL can't go a series without false-starting.

Oh, absolutely. I was very impressed with Andey overall, considering everything. It's all on coaching

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

WampaLord posted:

If we lose, who has the tiebreaker? Atlanta for now since they beat a NFC South team (best division in football), yeah?

NO and Atlanta both beat Carolina (:sigh:), but Atlanta and TB also beat a NFCN team while NO beat an AFC team, so... Atlanta, NO, TB, and then Carolina?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

The nfc south is back baby!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

The Panthers had the perfect opportunity to make up some ground in the division and of course did not.

Bright side, at least we don't have to get our hopes up of being competitive within the division.

PostNouveau posted:

It's a pretty big step down. Carr hasn't lit the world on fire, but our offense just stopped without him on the field.

However, we are getting Kamara back.

I still don't understand why you guys gave up on the run once Carr went down. I may be misremembering but it seemed like Jameis was throwing a lot there

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He wouldn’t, but I doubt Bryce would look as good on the Texans. Really though taking Bryce over CJ was a big red flag for the coaching staff.

From what I saw, it was Tepper who wanted Bryce, Reich wanted Stroud, and welp.

ozymandius1024 posted:

It was time for Ron to go, but I will say with certainty that I miss a time when David Tepper didn't own this loving team. I don't long for Jerry Richardson, but the team has been a mess since Tepper took over ownership.

Tepper doesn't get nearly enough poo poo. The Panthers have been consistently one of the worst teams in the league since he bought them

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 1, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

Sure is going to be sweet giving away a top 5 (at least) pick away in the 2024 draft

Only consolation is that the Bears will absolutely waste it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

Of course it was. Every single goddamn thing this team has done since Tepper bought it has been to turn a quick profit and to try to do it overnight. Let's bring in Matt Rhule because he turned Baylor around really fast! Let's fix it with Teddy Bridgewater! Let's fix it with Sam Darnold! Let's fix it with Deshaun Watson! Let's fix it with Matthew Stafford! Let's trade up and fix it with Matt Corral! Not to mention turning the field into fake turf and endangering his players' long term health so he can host Kenny Chesney concerts.

But this year is the coup de grace of poo poo. After setting up a coaching staff that is built for the long haul, with the skills to develop any QB, what does Tepper do? Goes out and trades the future to draft the one guy that already hit his ceiling because he'll be able to "win now."

edit: oh and baker! How did I forget Baker?

Yeah, it's incredibly frustrating, and it's showing in crowd attendance. Carolina has never had the greatest home crowd, but there was a ton of purple in the crowd today. I imagine that's what a lot of home games are going to look like going forward. People don't want to watch this poo poo, it's not even funny to watch. It's boring.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Oh I think that's absolutely a given, and something that I take solace in.

If any of these tanking teams get the number one pick, then Caleb Williams decides to go back to school, I will never stop laughing.

I think it's a given at this point

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This whole division is so boring this year. Boring teams making boring plays. Baker is the most interesting thing happening but the Bucs offense isn’t exactly exciting despite him occasionally doing something fun.

Just miserable to watch all around.

Yeah, Saints/Panthers was probably the most boring game I've watched all season so far. It's like we all collectively decided that boring football is our identity as a division

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

starting to feel like the panthers should have hired the guy they were winning games with instead of the guy who got fired mid-season in indy

The guy who's in SF now and is DC for one of the best defenses in the league? Why would Tepper give the only HC to go .500 under his ownership another chance?!

Now, the guy who was fired mid-season and replaced by Jeff Saturday, that's a sexy pick

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

I don't really want to make that comparison yet, because boy is that a rough one to put on somebody, but the energy around the franchise/fan base is definitely Jimmy Clausen Era depression.

I can't imagine how things are going to look by Week 10:

Week 5: @Lions
Week 6: @Dolphins
Week 7: Bye
Week 8: Texans
Week 9: Colts
Week 10: @Bears

No way are we beating Detroit or Miami, but if the Panthers are winless after that stretch, things are going to be brutal. Losing to both of the QBs we passed up and the current worst organization in the league will probably cause most of the fanbase to check out, if they're not already

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Reich is a conservative white guy in his 60s who refuses to cede responsibility younger, more talented people underneath him and doesnt realize everything has passed him by.

We hired a boomer middle manager. We’re hosed.

It's gonna be great when we fire him a month into the '25 season once Tepper is done with his poo poo

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

BlindSite posted:

They're all rough games my dude.

Yeah.

I'm just glad that they're finally using Moore. Losing CMC was bearable because at least he went to a good team where he's succeeded, but I was worried that we had sent DJ to a worse place (and still am, tbf)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

every panther fans just winced thinking of the same 4th down play when he was in carolina

you all know the one

I just sighed deeply thinking about it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

kazil posted:

One yard run up the gut on first, second and third down. No more passing.

"Trust me kid, it's a process. Maybe by the end of the year I'll let you throw again"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Where's the Panthers' race to 0-17 thread? Because yeah, that's in play.

They really should have just renamed that Bears thread instead of locking it, but yeah, we might need one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Some good news from the Aftermath thread:

Ches Neckbeard posted:

After weirdly dropping apparently unconscious on the field Zavala is fine

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1711144402012279098?s=20