Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Hey Wampalord....any reason why we're having the draft in Week 4? :)

I just picked a placeholder date for as late as it would let me put it for now when I was reactivating the league and setting up stuff. That is not the draft date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:hfive:

I will be celebrating each and every one of our six (6) wins this season!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

isnt it something like the first time ever there's been a tropical storm warning for SoCal?

Yeah, poo poo is crazy. Hopefully it won't adversely affect too many people.

In other news, the TFF NFCS Dynasty league has been reactivated for year 6! If you were involved last year, your spot is secure! If anyone wishes to join, we could accommodate two new teams easily enough. Link to thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039835

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

three posted:

Baker Mayfield is a living embodiment of the "did it work for them? no, never, but maybe it'll work for us" meme.

Extremely accurate. But also:

kidcoelacanth posted:

anyway baker time babey woo

:toot:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

We lost one member from our TFF NFCS fantasy league and I believe three expressed some interest in taking that spot. three, if you want it, it's yours, just PM me your email address and I'll send the invite.

If anyone else wants to join before we draft on Sunday, we could accommodate exactly two more teams. Hit the thread up in Armchair QB if you're interested - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039835

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

NFCS Prediction:

Bucs 9-8 (win division on tiebreakers)
Saints 9-8
Falcons 7-10
Panthers 5-12

I don't know about the rest of the teams but 9-8 seems like an optimistic but possible outcome for the Bucs. I really do think all we truly needed was a not-Jameis level QB, now obviously Brady was way beyond that level, but as long as Baker doesn't throw 30 INTs I think we can win plenty of games, maybe even get a weird wild card win before getting trounced in the divisional round.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

If any team in this poo poo division manages to end with a winning record I’ll be shocked

there was a beautiful moment last season when it seemed possible for the entire division to end up with a 6-11 record and I would love to see that sort of thing happen

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1700576222873276894

loving cheap rear end owners letting Evans go to free agency :argh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Christ Baker sucks.

He just threw a sweet TD to Evans, give him time, even Brady looked shaky in Week 1

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s been in the league for like 5 years, there’s no mystery about who he is.

I'm not saying he's going to turn into Tom Brady I'm just saying I don't think he'll go 3 for 12 to start every game

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bucs win on the back of Baker loving Mayfield, I love it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

I feel like this is the week it all comes crashing down. I doubt the Bucs OL will be able to slow down the Eagles ridiculous DL and he's going to be forced to make some bad mistakes.

I'm also worried. The optimist in me says that we can win if we keep playing mistake-free football on offense but yeah that D line is going to end up either strip sacking Baker or forcing him to throw a pick or two.

If the D could generate a few turnovers like in Week 1 then maybe we squeak out a W. Any Given Sunday and all that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

It's been two games

this is why i love week 1-2 so much

a million takes/narratives are born from such a small sample size of games

For example, Baker just wins games!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

it's the nfl so tampa has a chance tomorrow but i'm not getting my hopes too high

(i am absolutely getting my hopes too high)

I'm sticking with Baker Just Wins Games mentality

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Also, Bucs all alone in first place. : smug:

(For approximately 24 hours)

If we lose, who has the tiebreaker? Atlanta for now since they beat a NFC South team (best division in football), yeah?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

NO and Atlanta both beat Carolina (:sigh:), but Atlanta and TB also beat a NFCN team while NO beat an AFC team, so... Atlanta, NO, TB, and then Carolina?

oh right, i think I blocked that NO/CAR game from memory it was so boring

well, time to savor this for as long as it stands:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oh cool like half our defense is injured, i'm sure that won't cause problems

okay Baker, this game's all on your shoulders, may the vibes be immaculate tonight :pray:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nothing like an embarrassing loss on prime time, baby!

Bucs/Saints is going to be a very interesting game

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lol did the whole division lose this weekend

The nfc south is back baby!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It was a scary two weeks there with the NFCS being relevant but I’m relieved reality has reasserted itself here

it reminds me of those two weeks where Fitzmagic was balling out and did the whole "we gotta stay humble" presser and then we did get humbled quite quickly

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Well we would also both be taunting Falcons fan.

Yeah, like I get that the point of the joke is that Saints/Falcons is the REAL rivalry, but a more accurate ending would be the Saints fan and the Bucs fan teaming up to mock the Falcons fan. Perhaps by quoting a particular score...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

Baker is the best QB in the NFCS and it’s not close

Faint praise I know but I said what I said

He's also really fun to watch

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hahahhahahahahhahaha Jameis

Dying laughing

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ive been completely won over by Dave Canales. between him, the way Steichen is running the Indy offense, and Slowik for the Texans it seems like you can absolutely create an ok offense with marginal talent if you've got a good playcaller. that's all i want for the bucs from here on out. hire these types of dudes for OC or hell make Canales HC, like he's making BAKER look good. this is explicitly our cap pain season where they're not even trying and they're consistently competitive. it's loving bananas

:agreed:

very rarely do I find myself going "why would you call that play there?" this season. we mostly try stuff that makes sense, which is refreshing as hell as a Bucs fan. And yeah, it's all about playing to the QBs strengths. With Baker they're not making him pass deep 20 times a game and they're using his ability to leg out a first down in clutch situations as a way to keep the defense honest, and lo and behold, he's thriving!

Also probably helps he gets Evans/Godwin to throw to. Speaking of which, here's hoping Evans can heal up during the bye week.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Pretty sure the Bucs just took 2 weeks off during the bye. Absolutely pathetic performance today.

Defense played well for most of the game, but offense just totally poo poo the bed, hope Baker can shift the vibes next week.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Um, they gave up countless 3rd and longs. They couldn't get off the field at all. It was an awful performance.

Yeah, fair enough. I guess I meant when they were holding them to FGs, felt like we had a bend don't break thing going.

Then we broke.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Derek Carr is dog poo poo.

:hmmyes:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

I mean, the "he can't keep doing this and field a good team" parts have been completely true the last two years now. Decisively we have hit the point where kicking the can forever stops resulting in a good team

Should have bit the bullet when you had the chance, now you're stuck in hell for years before you can even begin to think about being legit competitive

Shinji2015 posted:

Looking ahead at the Saints' schedule, even with that against them, they still could end up over .500. Looking at non-divisional games, they play the Lions, Rams, Vikings, Colts, Bears, and Giants... the defense is good enough that I can see them going 3-3 or better out of that bunch, and then depending on how the rest of the divisional games go, they could end the season 7-10 or 10-7 and either wouldn't shock me.

Would another 7-10 season keep Allen around?

I'll synthesize these two posts and say that with how they look currently, the Saints are doomed to the worst case scenario, being a bad team but not bad enough to get good draft picks. They do have the talent to win enough games to keep them out of the dregs of the NFL basement, but not enough to get to the playoffs. A limbo of 7-10 or 8-9 style seasons until they actually commit to a rebuild.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

imo the bucs should have won, and not lost

:agreed:

it's such a frustrating team to watch, it's like the old Bucs again!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I see all these other teams on TV and they can run the ball and I just think about how nice it would be if my team could do that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:pathetic:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

CJ Stroud is insane.

Fire Todd Bowles. This team loving sucks.

I was just saying when it was 16 seconds left and they were 40 something yards away "okay well this is where conservative Todd Bowles won't give up a big play, right?"

:suicide:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BlindSite posted:

If Young had the Bears' receiver room we win this game by 20. We had a receiver actually open once and he threw a 44 yarder. The receivers and the scheme is loving dogshit.

That was cool, and was definitely one of the "flashes of brilliance" that people talk about with Bryce, but I also watched him airmail a bunch of short screen passes way off target. The problem is consistency, I've seen so many QBs who have flashes of brilliance but can't complete basic passes half the time (*cough* Josh Freeman *cough*) and they never work out long term.

Now could his consistency be improved by being in a better system? Almost definitely, but we'll see if that actually happens.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

titans aren't very good but man a win feels good after this last month

Amen

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1723855537849119222?s=20

the thread title was extremely prophetic

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

These Bucs keep finding new ways to disappoint me

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kalensc posted:

After the 4pm games, each division's net (wins - losses):
AFCN: +11
NFCE: + 5
AFCS: + 4
AFCW: + 1
NFCN: 0
NFCW: - 3
AFCE: - 4
NFCS: -14

Trash rear end division

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Lol the Bucs are totally losing to the Panthers this week. Interim HC bump is real.

The Raiders proved it twice in a row, that's settled science

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

thought about it and came to the conclusion that mayfield is far and away the best QB in the NFCS this season??

obviously true, unfortunately "best QB in the NFCS this season" is damning with extremely faint praise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not even December and we are all looking at the draft lol

This should be the thread title for next season