Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

NYT posted:

It’s the end of an era. In America, the incandescent light is no more (with a few exceptions).

Under new energy efficiency rules that took effect Tuesday, shoppers in the United States will no longer be able to purchase most incandescent bulbs, marking the demise of a technology patented by Thomas Edison in the late 1800s.

Taking their place are LED lights, which — love them or hate them — have already transformed America’s energy landscape.

They’ve driven down electricity demand in American homes, saving people money. And by using less power, LEDs have also helped lower the nation’s emissions of greenhouse gases, which warm the planet and are a major cause of climate change. (LED stands for light emitting diodes.)

The new efficiency standard announced by the Biden administration requires light bulbs to meet a minimum standard of producing 45 lumens per watt. (A lumen is a measurement of brightness, and incandescents typically produce far less than that per watt.) An accompanying rule change applies the new standards to a wider universe of light bulbs.

Neither rule is an explicit ban on incandescents. And a few specialized kinds of incandescent bulbs — like those that go inside ovens, and bug lights — are exempt. But most if not all other incandescents will struggle to meet the new efficiency standards, and the same goes for a more recent generation of halogen lights.

Antifa will be coming to your home as Biden's enforcers to check for any illegal lightbulb contraband, the guilty will be forced to work as slave labor on Greenpeace ships. None of us are safe, when they check our homes for lightbulbs they will be adding us to lists if they see any gas stoves and you better hope you have a fuel efficient car, some of you will be detained in car dealerships until you purchase an EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
):

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I refuse to pay pennies a socket per year when I could be spending $80 per year.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Hah, I bake all my cookies in an EZ Bake Oven, and Joe Brandon will have to pry that little light bulb from my cold, dead, brownie loving hands!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Just wait untill the centennial bulb boys hears about this!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_iFi1qH8Cg

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

If the government can take your incandescent bulbs, who's to say what's next? It could be touchscreen toasters.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

slow day at the hoa, eh?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

interested to know what bulbs you personally use 3o? gotta be some kind of fancy smart lights i don't know about.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Remember when they tried to push those ugly things filled with mercury as the replacement for incandescents? lmao

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

interested to know what bulbs you personally use 3o? gotta be some kind of fancy smart lights i don't know about.

I'm guessing fancy candles made from the fat of gated-community-security-culled poors.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Big deal I banned incandescent bulbs years ago

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My favorite quote to come out of all of this probably came from this article:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/27/incandescent-light-bulb-led-00107935

quote:

“I’m happy the Department of Energy is out here making sure that we can all save money because we’re too dumb to figure out how to do it ourselves,” said Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.) during a hearing last week on the Biden administration’s “regulatory assault” on home appliances.

Yes, if you have the option to buy two different types of a product, and you choose the one that's worse in literally every way possible, you are by definition too dumb to figure out how to do it yourself! Why are you phrasing this sarcastically?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i wish they took our gas stoves, maybe they'll try again after election year

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EorayMel posted:

Looks about right, except for Pick

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

First light bulbs are banned, then straight marraige, and next thing you know, police will be in your house making sure you salute your biden photo every morning or you go to gulag!!! Just the democrats for you folks

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm guessing fancy candles made from the fat of gated-community-security-culled poors.

You still gotta use the shittiest app ever to make em work though

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

EorayMel posted:

Do any of these other posters hang out in GBS? The only other poster on this list I think I've seen is Stux from gaming and LOL that he's so high up there.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

I set up all my light sockets to roll coal in protest and make my carbon monoxide detectors play the star spangled banner. :patriot:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

'Ol Irish Joe called me up this morning, asked me to be on his jack-booted death squad, kicking down doors and summarily executing incandescent light bulbs, and the innocent, freedom loving, American Citizens that harbor them.

It doesn't pay much, but do what you love...

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Freedom of bulb

Is what you want

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought this already happened? The only incandescent bulbs I've seen for sale in years are for special applications.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought this already happened? The only incandescent bulbs I've seen for sale in years are for special applications.

Trump reversed it

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Trump reversed it

Eventually. He put his thang down and flipped it first.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

EorayMel posted:

Truly a list of legends

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

biden, you can take my incandescent lightbulbs when you pry out of my cold dead rear end in a top hat

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lizzie, lightbulbs, LK-99? Big day for news items that start with L

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if i see an incandecent lightbult out on tha street ima slap the poo poo outta it

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Sorry to disappoint, I just bought whatever was cheap on Amazon, they all are on Lutron Caseta dimmers though.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i still use evanescent bulbs, they help me wake up

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
bulb heh

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bad Purchase posted:

(I can't wake up)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

EorayMel posted:

lol at mcmagic working his way up the list

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bad Purchase posted:

I should hope you're not putting them inside

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Jelly posted:

Do any of these other posters hang out in GBS? The only other poster on this list I think I've seen is Stux from gaming and LOL that he's so high up there.

Pick was as GBS as it gets. Had her own forum friends, her own diehard enemies, her own threadbans, and her own forum lore.

We'll not see her like again (until the next one).

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
What is this? 2011???

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I used to think that this would suck but then I got some LEDs that just have a warm yellow color to them when I renovated my house and I can't tell the difference any more so this is fine

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Is there any way to see how many people have blocked you without making the top 100? Sometimes I wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

post a really good joke. anyone who doesn’t emptyquote it must’ve blocked you, it’s really the only explanation.