Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Call lord rope kid by his gamer tag here, or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish pillars of eternity made me feel like this but there’s something annoying about the way it’s made. Like it’s made for dudes that care more about stats than rping or something I can’t put my finger on.

For me the combat of the tactical pausing RPGs or whatever it’s called is just absurd and totally obnoxious. I can barely make it past the tutorial sections without losing interest because of it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

For me the combat of the tactical pausing RPGs or whatever it’s called is just absurd and totally obnoxious. I can barely make it past the tutorial sections without losing interest because of it.

same

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's insane how many games did that without it ever being good even once

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

P-Mack posted:

It's insane how many games did that without it ever being good even once

I think it only happened in the first place because diablo came out when BG1 was being developed so they were forced to make it real time with pause and then everyone just had to do that for ten years. Horrible

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

rtwp sucks so bad and until the recent turn-based revival I had given up on what feels like a whole genre

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

yup. total clusterfucj. pillars 2 added turn-based as an option after launch and its 100x better, also th better game overall

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

yup. total clusterfucj. pillars 2 added turn-based as an option after launch and its 100x better, also th better game overall

:hai:

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
https://twitter.com/buttplugio/status/1702949571415187781?s=46&t=OsndHrW5SJYTMyrHKufQhA

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

gently caress you!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It'd be funny if you joined the Imp Minecraft server and got buttfucked by every player while they beat your rear end cheeks with spiked bats and scimitars, in-game.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Buttplug.io

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I am Buttplugio! I need XP for my bunghole!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I am Buttplugio! I need XP for my bunghole!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

laezel > shart > astarion > jaheira > karlach > gale > the minsc guy who i've not played with yet > halsin (dead) > wyll. currently WIP and SUBJECT TO CHANGE

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The way Lae'zel looks when you correct her on pronouncing Tiefling ftw lol.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Rereadingthe first half of the thread and lmfao

lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

The way Lae'zel looks when you correct her on pronouncing Tiefling ftw lol.

I like when she says Tch. 😍

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

When she calls you zhak vo'n'ash duj 🥵

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

pillars 2 turn based owns. played thru it twice when i was on super unemployment.

rtwp is always awful. it only makes sense in kotor because it is a simple easy game you can default attack through

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Someone turned my blood into gasoline and then I found a armor that makes me immune to fire and grants heavy armor proficiency. Hoype.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Finally finished Act 1 last night! Heading into the mountain pass to find Lae'zel's (presumably) murderous friends, then on into Curseland.

This game is insanely good so far. All of the big set piece combat encounters have this puzzle-like quality, where they feel basically impossible if taken head on, but there's always a clever way to tip the scales. I'm less than a third of the way through the game (if other imps playtimes can be used as a guide) and I feel like I'm drowning in game-changing magic items, but the complexity and difficulty of fights means I'm never feeling overpowered. It's really drat cool design.

Also, barbarian + throw damage bonus items is just :discourse:. Killing your enemies with the corpses of their friends will never get old.

If I have one complaint it's that the game might be held back by the D&D ruleset. For example, the power jump from level 4 -> 5 is so drastic that it's basically impossible for the developers to have designed encounters that are theoretically survivable at 4, but still challenging at 5. Then again, getting my rear end handed to me by the swamp hag at level 4, then coming back to absolutely wipe the floor with her at 5 did feel awesome, so it's possible I'm thinking too hard about this one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hamsauce666 posted:

If I have one complaint it's that the game might be held back by the D&D ruleset. For example, the power jump from level 4 -> 5 is so drastic that it's basically impossible for the developers to have designed encounters that are theoretically survivable at 4, but still challenging at 5. Then again, getting my rear end handed to me by the swamp hag at level 4, then coming back to absolutely wipe the floor with her at 5 did feel awesome, so it's possible I'm thinking too hard about this one.

Larian have always had an issue where level matters far too much because of some kind of weird invisible multipliers going on in the background, can't help but feel that them taking on DnD has really indulged those tendencies even more than usual lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Does leaving the starting area count as finishing act 1? I spent most of yesterday exploring the underdark and stopped after getting wrecked by the guy guarding the forge. I accidentally killed the husband of the dwarf in the mushroom area and I was not expecting her response to be oh well he was a piece of poo poo

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Yeah, the only way I've found tell that you've transitioned to Act 2 is it's shown on the save/load screen. When you click on one of the paths out of the starting area (like the mountain pass), it makes a big deal of telling you to wrap things up before continuing, but I'm able to freely travel back to the Act 1 areas, so I'm not sure what's actually getting blocked off when you do.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i think there are quests that change if you don't finish them in act 1 but nothing is blocked off until act 3 as far as i can tell.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

hamsauce666 posted:

Yeah, the only way I've found tell that you've transitioned to Act 2 is it's shown on the save/load screen. When you click on one of the paths out of the starting area (like the mountain pass), it makes a big deal of telling you to wrap things up before continuing, but I'm able to freely travel back to the Act 1 areas, so I'm not sure what's actually getting blocked off when you do.

I think the next time it tells you that it means it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You get a chiev for leaving act 1. Act 2 doesn’t start until you enter the shadow cursed lands.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if you leave the crash area to go to the creche, the druids make good on their threat to hunker down and kick the tieflings out

source: the tieflings did NOT make it in my save

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You can go back to the act 1 areas throughout most of act 2 until all of a sudden you can't for some reason. I discovered this when I realised I'd left one of Lae'Zel's discs back in the crèche but thankfully Lae'Zel is retarded and thinks Ive given her all three anyway.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

stupid gith need the most attention

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You get a chiev for leaving act 1. Act 2 doesn’t start until you enter the shadow cursed lands.

yeah, i got the 'finished act 1' achievement after the mountain pass finished as i entered the shadow lands

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
cool I can be in an incestuous 3 way as if this game didn't have enough sex freaks already GOTY!

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Nutmeg posted:

cool I can be in an incestuous 3 way as if this game didn't have enough sex freaks already GOTY!

lol. i havent played since i saw that part. im sure theres some sort of catch . . but im not going to find out

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

magic cake incestuous 3 way ftw lmfao

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

insane anime posted:

magic cake incestuous 3 way ftw lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I haven't encountered that one yet. Guess I'm just built different.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

insane anime posted:

lol. i havent played since i saw that part. im sure theres some sort of catch . . but im not going to find out

same I dipped out and in my evil playthrough I will ironically smite them in the name of our Lord ⛪

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

Same

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Wormskull posted:

have you talked to that flying elephant thing yet lol. its in there

----------------