Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Endorph posted:

this is 100% true lol, just look at kotaku going on an insane hitjob about ff16. they literally ran an article about how we need to be meaner to japanese games.

like im sure kotakuinaction are being morons but you only need to read 'japanese games, which are obviously bad about LGBT stuff' and running best visual novels lists that are just a bunch of indie western ones and phoenix wright, to get this. there's a real bias about jp games being sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. any difference from aaa western games is harshly criticized.

I've seen people highlight the article(s) about Baldur's Gate 3 being 'unapologetically horny', saying that if it were a Japanese game doing the same things, there would be a negative reaction to it.

You could maybe argue that's not the case, but ever since those old X-Play videos surfaced, gaming outlets really haven't really tried that hard to shake the notion that they're biased against Japanese games (the Plunkett tweet probably being the worst).

Endorph posted:

remembering red string club, a game with multiple trans devs and a trans character, where there's a bit when some creepy stalker dude uses a trans character's dead name as his email password. and the literal only gaming site to cover it made a giant stink about DONT DEADNAME. EVER. and accused the devs of being massive transphobes.

Endorph posted:

the writer yelling at the devs later tried to say it was okay for her to do this because she was bi

I remember this happening, and hold this up as an answer to 'why don't more devs tackle issues of representation in games?'

EightFlyingCars posted:

there was an LA Times article recently about how the movie Oppenheimer portrayed the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or rather, how it didn't. the full article is worth a read, and it shouldn't be paywalled unless you regularly visit the site, but the money quote is near the end (edited slightly for brevity):

This is kind peripheral to point of the article (and the current discussion), but if you want an film that depicts the bombing from Japan's perspective, there are other films that do that.

The Moon Monster posted:

I just assumed it was because the movie was about Oppenheimer himself moreso than the Manhattan project and he didn't actually see the bombs being dropped :shrug:

That's what I thought too, and I haven't even seen the film! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah lol. she didnt deserve what she got at all but also like, literally all im saying here is that it would have been nice if her videos had spent 30 seconds mentioning games made by and for women and the video descriptions had included some links to other writing on the topic. she profited off the idea that she was basically the only woman to ever put these thoughts out there or even conceive of anything different. im not saying shes some massive scam artist or anything but there's no reason she should have been doing 'consulting work' or whatever.

a lot of men, and even women, who think of themselves as leftist, educated, and feminist, still have a real inability to perceive of women as people with a diverse range of opinions who have been talking to each other about their frustrations, likes, dislikes, and wants, for centuries. its a fundamental problem with society, not a problem only 'bad people' have, and you can't watch youtube videos or tweet your way out of it, it requires a shift in the way you view the world. gamergate was in many ways an incredibly convenient shield for this form of sexism, because so long as you dont send women death threats you have a free ride to calling yourself a feminist. heck, ive seen guys like that harass, yell at, and insult women for the mildest personal deviation from what they perceive as feminism. someone in this thread even said they were a victim of that! people in this thread have basically insinuated im a gamergater for saying i dont think the videos are especially good. its insane.

Anita videos made fair critiques, but her word isn't gospel, and there are other women or different spheres of feminism that have different perspectives and feelings about what's good and what needs to be changed. However, people took her videos as the go-to rubric for representation in games and ignored or squashed anything that didn't fit that mold. That's how I read what you said.

I guess the question I'd ask is if Anita at fault for not promoting other women with alternate perspectives? I remember someone saying her critique aired on the side of sex-negativity, but there's no way to know if she just didn't acknowledge sex-positivity, or if she was against it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

her 'more recent work' seems to 90% be podcasts about mcu movies that get sub-500 views

I noticed that too, because I think I checked the Feminist Frequency YouTube channel at one point (maybe around the time of the Mandalorian armor controversy), and I saw that a lot of the videos had low view counts, and I thought, "Why are they so low?" It's puzzling, because even though she moved away from the field of video games, for as big of a splash she made, and for as many defenders as she had, it didn't really seem to result in long term support.

Given that, it seems like FemFreq shut down not due to continued harassment, but moreso due to lack of interest.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Jonathan McIntosh

:can:

McIntosh probably did a better job of dissuading me from listen to FemFreq takes than any of the detractors could have. Like you could write a book (or at the very least, a very long pamphlet) about all the takes he's made.

However, the crowning one that always stands out to me is related to something that was mentioned a few pages ago:

mycot posted:

Tracer's girlfriend was very early in Overwatch's lifespan when people were very high on the game and still hopeful that they might do something with it. By the time you got to Soldier 76 is Gay the game had been mismanaged for years and it was clear nothing was going anywhere, so people became a lot more cynical.

When the comic with the Tracer girlfriend reveal dropped, McIntosh tweeted about how problematic is was. I don't remember word-for-word what he said, and I really don't want to go digging for it, but it was something along the lines , 'we need lesbian couples that make straight men uncomfortable.

I remember the topic came up in another thread, and someone said that there were a bunch of women who tweeted at him, saying that it wasn't a big deal and that they liked the reveal, and that his response...was to block them.

In fairness, it's been a while since I read that, and it's possible he may have apologized for it, but when I heard that, I found equals parts hilarious and aggravating.

EDIT:

Pharohman777 posted:

That is pretty much what everybody replying to him in the Twitter thread was pointing out. He seems to assume that lesbians and straight men have completely different standards of attractiveness, so to McIntosh its somehow possible to make a lesbian that is only attractive to lesbians and is not attractive to straight men.

https://twitter.com/DBZFan146/status/1083941531298484224

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/811313848112283648
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/811364294000406528

https://twitter.com/newqueerseve/status/811389861810741248

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 18, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean hot take, alot of the people related to game gate loving sucked poo poo. its just the good guys were way less awful then the loving nazis. quinn strikes me as a lovely person and wu strikes me as someone who jumped on the horror show for clout.

Something that I was surprised didn't make waves is that it turned out Zoe Quinn did a collab with Lowtax...AFTER he got ousted from Something Awful.

nine-gear crow posted:

Wow, and that's even AFTER he was publicly outed as a serial domestic abuser too.

DoctorWhat posted:

Quinn posted on Facebook back during the first wave of lowtax abuse allegations calling his wife a liar.

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah I noticed this too. I was thinking maybe Lowtax is lying or "joking" or whatever about it really being her, but on the other hand, Lady Ambien did say Zoe supported Lowtax thru the controversy sadly.

Like :wtf:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

personally i think some horror show like gamergate was growing for a long loving time because games jorunalism was either really really meh/bad culture critics attemps or bad corpo ads.

All Hail The King Of Good Games Journalism (published February 2nd, 2013)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think my issue with their(plural) is the "critque what you love" or some poo poo, but like every time i watched a video or read their threads, i never got the vibe that they liked the poo poo. its like if i wrote about like cars or some poo poo and pretended i loved them.

I think people like me didnt like them because these assholes got super loving mad when people wanted a better ending to the wet poo poo of mass effect 3. i think thats were that whole seed of horror show against journalism was somewhat planted. because to me back then the game journalists were loving desperate to be viewed like the new rolling stones and ebert and they always poo poo on their dumbshit audiance and then got suprised when they were turned against and not trusted.

that being said. i feel like alot of gamesites have quietly gotten alot better which is very nice.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

To be fair I get that vibe from a hell of a lot of gaming journalism these days.

Yeah absolutely this. The "gamers are entitled" thing predated Anita and already had people disliking journos. That and the extreme difference in the way they treated Jack Thompson for saying "video games cause violence" to Anita/Jon's "video games cause violence... and sexism!" was the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of people. Gaming journalism is a job that a lot of ordinary gamers would kill to be paid to do, people grew up reading old school games mags and liking many of the writers and wanting to do that themselves, and these people were squandering their dream to poo poo on them and their hobby instead. It's understandable, viewed like that, why journos are so reviled now.

Journos were no small part of what went down honestly. Just kept kicking the hornet's nest for clicks knowing full well the majority of the outraged backlash would hit someone else, that being Anita.

The problem I have with a lot of critics in that sphere (or spheres, because it's not really one category), is that they infantilize their audience, talk down to them, and treat them like backwards idiots. McIntosh's rhetoric in particular emphasizes this notion that people need to have strict diet with the media they consume; that it explicitly promotes good, conducive ideas. If not, it might corrupt people.

With game journalism, my take is that it may not be unethical, but it sure as hell isn't good. Rather than try and mend the gap that was made, I think journalists have only further alienated people with rage bait, hate click articles, and just generally not being on the same page as their audience.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Valatar posted:

Yeah, I think that's really the thing. There's plenty of room to criticize video games, lord knows it's like the favorite pastime of gamers. If she had gone in against Metroid Other M for being a cringey sexist piece of poo poo, the Metroid fans of the world would've been right there with her. Instead she talked poo poo about Samus and said she was basically just a man, so that went over like a lead balloon. It is possible to be a game fan and acknowledge that many of them aren't perfect and some of them are downright dire, but the way she came at them made it pretty apparent that she was not coming from a fan's perspective.

My first PC game as a kid? King's Quest 3, by the inestimable Roberta Williams. My second? King's Quest 4, where gasp, you play the princess saving the day. In 1988. And to the best of my knowledge, Roberta never gave any indication in interviews that piles of chud gamers wrote her bunches of rape and death threats for daring to be a woman in charge of a game company who made games with a girl protagonist. Everyone I knew loved the poo poo out of her and her games, I was a huge Sierra fanboy back then.

Aside from Roberta Williams though, you also had Jane Jensen (who made Gabriel Knight), Lorelai Shannon (who made Phantasmagoria 2), Muriel Tramis (who was actually part of Coktel Vision, but made games like Gobliiins and Lost in Time) and Christy Marx (who made Conquests of the Longbow, as well as also having done a lot of writing for television).

Outside of Sierra, you've got Brenda Romero, who worked on the Wizardry series and was the lead on Wizardry 8. There's Amy Hennig, who wrote Legacy of Kain series and Uncharted. There's Rebecca Heineman, who was one of the co-founders of Interplay and helped developed the Bard's Tale, as well as doing a ton of ports. There's Mari Shimazaki, who worked on the designs for Bayonetta. There's Rieko Kodama, who worked on Phantasy Star and produced Skies of Arcadia (though she passed away last year, unfortunately). There's Jehanne Rousseau, who's the CEO of Spiders, and was a lead on Sliverfall, Mars: War Logs, and The Technomancer. More recently there's Ikumi Nakamura, who worked on the Evil Within and who did the E3 presentation for Ghostwire: Tokyo, which a lot of people loved.

You can certainly argue there's a disproportionate amount of women designers vs men designers, but there's a lot women who were vital in some pretty beloved games. Thing is, I'd have to think some of their work/creative choices would probably not pass Anita's standards.