Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Mr Interweb posted:

glad you mentioned the bannon thing. i know it sounds silly that a bunch of angry vidya game enthusiasts tipped a u.s. presidential election, but remember, trump won by just 50k votes in 4 states. GG no doubt radicalized people to the Right at far higher magnitudes.

eh...2020 was VERY different than 2016. GG and the major players it spawned were absolutely DOMINANT in online spaces in 2016. you might have had a handful of large forums like SA nd neogaf (even that place had a large population of GG'ers), and major media outlets were anti-GG, but the gamer base was overwhelmingly in favor of GG. there's a reason why hbomberguy, shaun, lindsay ellis and other left leaning youtubers got popular and it's because they were the original handful of left leaning youtubers that pushed back and tried to get some sense of balance back, and that all happened after 2016. remember, these were the days where "feminists/SJWs utterly OWNED" compilations were ubiquitous. every day had some new triggered ostensibly left figure (usually a woman) show up. guys like ethan klein and the Act Man, who were probably not as terrible as the average GG'er, still nonetheless made content out of it frequently. it's no mystery why the likes of milo, sargon of akkad, theQuartering, Geeks and Gamers and such blew the gently caress up around that time.

Yeah. I feel like 2016 was right on that transition point where the irony poisoned internet was serving as cover for genuinely cruel and hateful people and activities, but the sheer impact of it wasn't yet known. If anything, I almost wonder if that's why the "culture war" seems so much louder and harsher lately. There's actual pushback against it, instead of it just being dismissed as the web-based equivalent of boys being boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Endorph posted:

my superhero origin story for why im mad about doom 2016

As opposed to Doom 2001, who cried when they fell.