Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Problem description:
My PC occasionally goes to a black screen and kicks the GPU fan up to 100% -- but only when playing Diablo 4. I can still hear sounds, and there's hard drive activity. The windows system log shows activity (but no errors) if I leave it running. There is no set time for this to happen -- sometimes I can play for a couple of hours without a crash, sometimes it'll happen two or three times within 30 minutes. It tends to only happen in outdoor areas in the game.

This issue happened once before, a few years ago, during cutscenes (only) in Final Fantasy 14. In that case I was able to run the game under DirectX 10, and the problem went away.

I've played hundreds of hours of other games on this PC, some more graphically taxing than Diablo 4. I'll hear the GPU and CPU fans go crazy in other games, but the system is rock solid. This makes me think Diablo 4 is doing... something... that other games don't do, and my GPU isn't cooperating.

The CPU and GPU temps while running D4 are not any higher than when playing other games. The GPU definitely runs cooler under D4 than when processing images with Stable Diffusion, for example.

I don't see anything suspicious in the Windows event log. It's generally just "System powered off without shutting down", which is from me holding the power button on the case after this happens.

Attempted fixes:
- Updated the motherboard BIOS
- Ran the display driver cleaner recommended in other posts, reinstalled newest nVidia display drivers from scratch
- Turned down graphics settings and limited maximum framerate to 30 in Diablo 4
- Reseated GPU
- Reseated PCIe cables from the power supply
- Swapped out system RAM from another PC that doesn't exhibit this issue
- Dusted the hell out of the inside of the case with compressed air
- Ran the Blizzard Updater "repair install" function, also tried fully uninstalling and reinstalling
- When this first happened, I contacted Square-Enix support about the FFXIV crashes; they had helpful ideas, but stepping down to DirectX 10 was the only solution that worked (something I can't do in D4)

Recent changes:
None. I keep Windows and my nVidia drivers up to date, but I haven't added or changed any hardware in ages. I haven't made any fundamental configuration changes either.

Operating system:
Windows 10 Home

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570-A Pro
Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 Super (twin fan version)
16 GB Corsair DDR4 RAM
Sabrent Rocket 1TB SSD and Crucial BX500 1TB SSD (both NVME)
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Oh god, I have Googled so much. Others on Reddit and the nVidia forums seem to have similar issues with various GeForce cards, but there's no common root causes. Reasons range from overheating to bad PSU to simply a broken-rear end video card, and in most cases the issue is never identified.

In most other peoples' cases, the crashes are frequent and truly random. In my situation, this only happens in one (well, two) specific games, so I'm hopeful that maybe someone else here has run into a similar issue and found a solution other than "your GPU is probably faulty".

I'm actually building a new gaming PC right now, but I'd like to give this one to my wife if we can figure out the GPU problem (she plays Diablo 4 as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

A few ideas:

-Make sure W10 is fully updated.

-Disable any other programs that are running in the background while playing D4.

-You could also see if there is a BIOS update for your GPU.

-Probably not the issue but you could run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php to check drive health.

-Another option in the future would be moving to W11.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zogo posted:

A few ideas:

-Make sure W10 is fully updated.
Yep, definitely is, including optional updates.

quote:

-Disable any other programs that are running in the background while playing D4.
I keep a very clean boot. The startup sequence is Backblaze, Steam, Realtek Audio Drivers, and Windows Security notifications. I've tried disabling everything temporarily, and it didn't help.

quote:

-You could also see if there is a BIOS update for your GPU.
Apparently there is, but it only addresses the monitor not displaying while loading the OS. I actually do have this issue (it displays via the HDMI port rather than the DisplayPort for my primary monitor), so I'll give it a shot.

quote:

-Probably not the issue but you could run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php to check drive health.
It's possible, but I'd think that it would affect other things, or stop affecting D4 after uninstalling and reinstalling (since it would presumably move things around on the SSD a bit). I'll try it if all else fails.

quote:

-Another option in the future would be moving to W11.
I need to do this for sure, but I'm going to wait until the new PC is built and tested. I have a good backup routine, but in-place OS upgrades always scare me a bit.

Thank you for the ideas!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If you have the resources or and goony enough, do a fresh install on another drive (disconnect your main one) and try d4 from there. Try it on the latest driver or an old driver that blizz may have tested with

You could actually help people since your card seems to work with every other game right

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

down1nit posted:

If you have the resources or and goony enough, do a fresh install on another drive (disconnect your main one) and try d4 from there. Try it on the latest driver or an old driver that blizz may have tested with

You could actually help people since your card seems to work with every other game right

I don't have an easy way to do that, but I'm going to put the 2070 into my wife's PC and let her play Diablo 4 with it for a while with the same graphics settings.

If it crashes in the same way, at least we know it's the GPU. She has over a hundred hours of D4 played on her old 980 with no issues at all (other than it being slow because it's a 980).

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
There ya go

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
To update, it was the GPU. I don't know exactly what's wrong with it -- the temps didn't seem out of range, but it started happening in the other PC I put it in. Fortunately, it now lives in a media and Stable Diffusion server, so it won't ever be an issue again.

I have a 4070ti in my gaming PC now, and everything runs perfectly.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah it can sit there and crash it's driver til it dies. rip Lil buddy.

Generally, broadly speaking, in the past, it's a bad VRAM module or a bad solder join on the flip chip, sometimes lovely vrm or vrm cooling. It's hard to pinpoint these ones. Minor unfortunate glitch that means wrong math sometimes, lucky for you, you do have a great use case for it.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh hey I am not going to read all that again but there's no warranty on the card? Or is there?

If it were my card design, I'd want to know how it's failing in the real world. Do an rma if it's possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

down1nit posted:

Oh hey I am not going to read all that again but there's no warranty on the card? Or is there?

If it were my card design, I'd want to know how it's failing in the real world. Do an rma if it's possible!

It's a 2070 Super from 2019, so while it probably did start failing during warranty (when I was playing FFXIV), then I got a few years' use out of it with no issues at all.

Probably more trouble than it's worth, since it doesn't crash running Stable Diffusion, and the new machine it's in isn't for games other than like... Jackbox, maybe?