Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Wanted to build some warp talons but wasn't excited about using the squatty old raptor models for such a cool unit, so I made my own that I'm starting to paint now.

Comparison of a current-gen raptor model vs one of these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

RangerScum posted:

Wanted to build some warp talons but wasn't excited about using the squatty old raptor models for such a cool unit, so I made my own that I'm starting to paint now.

Looks great. I still will never understand why they changed the jump pack design from the one yours has.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i love the amount of motion in the raptor models, they're genuinely one of my favorite kits in a line that has some really outstanding trooper kits.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cease to Hope posted:

i love the amount of motion in the raptor models, they're genuinely one of my favorite kits in a line that has some really outstanding trooper kits.
Yeah, the poses are great. I’m still debating whether I should get a set of MKVI assault marines just to steal their jump packs and convert them a bit since not having the old havoc backpack is the only thing I don’t really like about the kit.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

RangerScum posted:

Amazing! Can you go through where each of the parts come from for your version?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thinking how wierd it is that you don't really use guardians for anything in an eldar list except generating dice in the backfield, and a lot of people don't even bring them for that.

How many other factions don't really use their battleline troops at all? Mostly just familiar with necrons which can turn their battleline into real tough meatwalls so they're pretty common.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Thinking how wierd it is that you don't really use guardians for anything in an eldar list except generating dice in the backfield, and a lot of people don't even bring them for that.

How many other factions don't really use their battleline troops at all? Mostly just familiar with necrons which can turn their battleline into real tough meatwalls so they're pretty common.

Space marines, see them bringing 1 squad of intercessors max for sticky objectives

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're kind of expensive for a battleline.

From a guard point of view battleline is a cheap utility thing that glues your officers together, or turns your transport into a flamer firing plaform with a scout move.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Battleline has been one of the enduring sore spots of 10th Edition. They tend to have poor synergy options, so their value really comes down to stats / cost (which generally compare poorly with the alternatives). To my mind, they would have been wise to have each of the Index Detachments focused on making Battleline-heavy armies competitive, while the Codex Detachments varied things up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sharkopath posted:

I guess it is at least lore appropriate as Guardians are the craftworld emptying out its citizenry to provide backing for the actual warriors.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I always beat my head against Hormagaunts and Termagants with Tyranids. Moderately useful in just having a big pile of bodies on the field but they're still expensive for what you get with them and it probably costs me effectiveness on the table. Current meta with Tyranids seems to be a swarm of gargoyles and grabbing as many objective points as you can before you get wiped off the table. Power creep is real and First Codex Syndrome is hurting.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I take a 5 man squad of Legionaries now that chosen went up in cost, put them into a rhino with a plasma gun and a Balefire Time and you got a makeshift tank with some half decent shooting with the flexibility of disembarking/splitting up as needed .

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I watched an interview with one of the old GW designers. They said something that really resonated with me. Specifically that modern 40k is a wargame as designed by boardgamers, whereas old 40k was designed by wargamers. That really gets at what I find off about the game now. It really does feel like we each have a hand of action cards, and that I'm trying to position my units to get all the correct adjacency bonuses, and get that sweet game winning combo. The problem is that there are way too many units/special rules/strategems for that IMO.

I play Battlelore with my partner, I think there are a lot of similarities there with 40k, but also some big differences. The game is played on a grid, with activation by cards, but otherwise is all about positioning your units to get the most of their bonuses, and using your limited action cards at the best possible (most surprising) moment. That game has 4 teams, each with a handful of different units, and something like 30 action cards. It took a little while, but we learned everything and know what to expect. I can also pop open the box and look at the cards/units anytime I want. I can't do that with 40k, there is just way too much to know, and most of it is in books I don't own, nor do I want to memorize 20-something codexs. I have to rely on the person trying to beat me to give me a proper heads up. This just never works IMO. There is a huge tension in that you need to inform your opponent of all the nasty surprises and traps you need to pull off to win. Being a good sport, and fun person to play against runs in direct conflict with winning the game. Being a bad sport gives you an edge over your opponent in a very meaningful way.

Sorry to be negative, watching that interview was such an "Ah Ha!" moment for me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

I watched an interview with one of the old GW designers. They said something that really resonated with me. Specifically that modern 40k is a wargame as designed by boardgamers, whereas old 40k was designed by wargamers. That really gets at what I find off about the game now. It really does feel like we each have a hand of action cards, and that I'm trying to position my units to get all the correct adjacency bonuses, and get that sweet game winning combo. The problem is that there are way too many units/special rules/strategems for that IMO.

I play Battlelore with my partner, I think there are a lot of similarities there with 40k, but also some big differences. The game is played on a grid, with activation by cards, but otherwise is all about positioning your units to get the most of their bonuses, and using your limited action cards at the best possible (most surprising) moment. That game has 4 teams, each with a handful of different units, and something like 30 action cards. It took a little while, but we learned everything and know what to expect. I can also pop open the box and look at the cards/units anytime I want. I can't do that with 40k, there is just way too much to know, and most of it is in books I don't own, nor do I want to memorize 20-something codexs. I have to rely on the person trying to beat me to give me a proper heads up. This just never works IMO. There is a huge tension in that you need to inform your opponent of all the nasty surprises and traps you need to pull off to win. Being a good sport, and fun person to play against runs in direct conflict with winning the game. Being a bad sport gives you an edge over your opponent in a very meaningful way.

Sorry to be negative, watching that interview was such an "Ah Ha!" moment for me.

This kinda tracks. I first started reading the rules for 40k when stuff like armor facing was still a thing. My brain also remembers a need to draw line of sight from a vehicle's weapons but I might have made that up over the past 20 years. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but there is a certain amount of rules bloat still involved. I think one of the things I'm most stressful about as I put together my first list is thinking about what I'm likely to face and how to answer it. I don't know what Chaos, Tau, Eldar, Daemons, and Nids all bring to the table that my Guardsmen need to have an answer for. Does the army I want to build actually answer the questions I have no idea are being asked?

Which leads to me staring at index cards and being salty that there's currently only one IG detachment and feeling like ponyboy is so good that I need to include him even though I really don't want to because otherwise no one can give orders to things like superheavies or aircraft.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It specifically refers to card games, or at least I think it was Rick Priestly that said it in one of the Filmdeg interviews. Which is why you have magic the gathering like "combos" between unit abilities and the people who like magic also enjoy the modern games-workshop games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Virtual Russian posted:

I don't think that's negative, it's a pretty insightful way to discuss what's going on in 40k today.

Have you checked out 30k? It's basically an alternate evolution / refinement of the classic design.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

My brain also remembers a need to draw line of sight from a vehicle's weapons but I might have made that up over the past 20 years.
That was absolutely a thing and still is in 30k. It is very much intended to be a throwback game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I guess it is at least lore appropriate as Guardians are the craftworld emptying out its citizenry to provide backing for the actual warriors.

True, just thinking it's a bit of a shame since the kit is so good. It'd be fun if their rules were good so you'd have a solid backbone of them supported by more elite troops instead of the other way around.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Who keeps saying I should play 30K!? Show yourself!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Tau Breachers are really good battle line and I need to pick up some more. Makes for a very thematic army, a bunch of shock troops in APCs, I can run a legit mechanized infantry company and it looks fluffy and isnt bad

Overall I really like the Tau army i have been putting together. It doesnt feel too gamey. The units all do what they look like they should do

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

That was absolutely a thing and still is in 30k. It is very much intended to be a throwback game.

Oh good, the dissonance I feel watching a battle report and seeing someone fire weapons on vehicles that are clearly occluded by terrain is real and legitimate.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Oh good, the dissonance I feel watching a battle report and seeing someone fire weapons on vehicles that are clearly occluded by terrain is real and legitimate.

Models can see through themselves, it's in the rules :pseudo:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Models can see through themselves, it's in the rules :pseudo:

Casually clipping my side-sponsion heavy bolter through the chassis of my Leman Russ.

I'm not saying any of this is bad, btw. I'm just saying it is FUNNY.

edit: It also breaks my brain that my Valkyrie can fire its fixed-forward Lascannon at targets behind it, but according to aircraft rules it can only make up to a 90* turn after its min 20 move.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mercurius posted:

Looks great. I still will never understand why they changed the jump pack design from the one yours has.

Yeah, those packs are loving excellent looking, big and brutal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kaal posted:

Battleline has been one of the enduring sore spots of 10th Edition. They tend to have poor synergy options, so their value really comes down to stats / cost (which generally compare poorly with the alternatives). To my mind, they would have been wise to have each of the Index Detachments focused on making Battleline-heavy armies competitive, while the Codex Detachments varied things up.

I'd really like it if the basic battleline troops got really big buffs, I like the idea of having a core of infantry to build around and support but they're just so rarely any good.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The old assault marine packs look better too.

Imperium stuff should look bulky and stupid, new primaris models starting to look too sleek and futuristic.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah GW clearly realised a while ago that they could better cater to everyone's tastes with more specific game systems, and thus continue selling them models. After years of trying to tick all of the possible hobby boxes by making 40k one-game-fits-all (and doing everything poorly), Games Workshop decided to actually maintain multiple game systems again with different focuses:

40k is now essentially a MTG-style deck building experience that revolves around competitive content & supporting online meta discussion
Much of the old-school wargamer / narrative / campaign content is now made for HH / LI / AT, with a focus on telling stories over constantly changing rules
Kill Team & Necromunda also scratch the small scale skirmish itch in both of these different ways
I'm told that systems like AOS, TOW, Warcry, WHU also exist

Virtual Russian posted:

watching that interview was such an "Ah Ha!" moment for me.

For me it was the part where he said 40k was specifically intended not to have two armies with the same point values line up in a mirror match, but rather to be more 'realistic' encounters with fog of war, random events, and a DM to manage it all. That explains so much about how the early editions worked, and how those design concepts continued to persist for years afterward even as players demanded proper balance.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd really like it if the basic battleline troops got really big buffs, I like the idea of having a core of infantry to build around and support but they're just so rarely any good.

As a Grey Knights player, :smug:

Not that we have many options with all six of our units....

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
30k sadly made dreadnoughts effectively monsters so nobody new will ever know the joys of the argument of "what are the firing arcs on an immobilized dreadnought?"

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

(not) fondly remembering the days when dreadnoughts could turn sideways to snipe characters with their firing arcs

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I remember those days because walkers were just always strictly worse than Monstrous creatures. It was to the point that Dreadnoughts were a complete waste of points unless you were grey knights and could field a psifleman dread (double twin linked autocannon dread with psy ammo). They had to make the Dread knight a Monstrous Creatures just to make sure it didn't suck rear end and could actually fight a greater Daemon without embarrassing itself.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
It feels like a lot more of the storytelling components have been pushed into the campaign rules.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah agreed. They’re the iconic units of each faction - they should be worth taking. At the very least it seems like if the defining quality of Battleline is an ability to take six of them then they shouldn’t be so bad that you don’t want any of them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

They just haven't found a role for basic infantry in this game.

For a long while you just had to take three units, but everyone took minimum sized units and they were just a tax.

This time they tried making them good at capping, but they're not good enough at that and don't do anything else well.

They just need to fulfill some role that no other unit type can.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Super Waffle posted:

Amazing! Can you go through where each of the parts come from for your version?

It's actually all 3d printed from a few different sets.

The bodies are on cults3d as "Flying Vulture Bodies"
The jetpacks are on cults3d as "Vulture Jetpacks"
The helms are on cults3d as "Exalted Knights of the Haunt"
The arms/claws are on MyMiniFactory as "Nocturnal Claws Set x5"

The only thing on the mini/base that isn't 3d printed are the skulls in the base which are from the the GW skulls pack.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They sell a pack that's just skulls?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nessus posted:

You know it.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Citadel-Skulls-2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Why, that's barely a dime per skull!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The box of skulls might seem silly, but it is actually very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Nessus posted:

Yes :black101: