Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've still got a Dark Vengeance box set I need to think about assembling and painting one day.

I stole a bunch of the bases for other things but the sprues are still intact. One day. Most of my old chaos marines were embarassingly badly painted or tossed so I'm going to start fresh when I pick this up again. Maybe go green. That's right. Metallic green thousand sons. Dark angels if I just contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've played this on and off since 2nd edition. Don't worry about rules being good or bad, worry about fun, lore and painting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bohemian Nights posted:

Contacted GW a year or so ago to get info on when they were planning to roll out whtv in more countries, and they replied:

"Thank you very much for your email.

At present WarhammerTV has been officially launched in the following territories: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and Italy.

Unfortunately, I do not have a specific date as to when this service will launch in X, however, we’re adding new countries to this list all the time, so check for updates regularly, or sign up for our Warhammer+ newsletter to get all the latest information delivered directly to your inbox!"

Bolded part is funny, because that list of countries is what they launched with and they've added no new regions since then :downs:

All the time means all the time. All the time in the history of the universe. So technically they're eternally correct. They are adding in new regions in all of the time.

It's the when that you're after and GW cannot advise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Back in 2nd edition AP was a minus you applied to your armor save, in 3rd it became a "beat armor or they get a full save" deal, then some time later again it went back to the original way.

Personally I'm a fan in general of assorted modifiers but then I did enjoy the original release of necromunda too, so take that bias for what its worth.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If someone buys 50 guardsmen and has a breakdown looking at all the plastic they were never going to be a successful guardsman player. When their painting output is one model a month they should just play knights or something.

A successful IG player loves painting all the men and revels in it. They probably also have 10 leman russ tanks in a box somewhere waiting for the right moment.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hate working with resin in any form other than single piece small miniatures that are already cleaned up. I find resin brittle, sanding takes ages, and depending on the source assembling is a giant pain. You may have to gently hacksaw pieces clean. I'll still use it but its never the first choice. I suppose its a good reason to own some 2 part epoxy though.

Plastic and by extension plastic cement are an absolute dream to work with. Easy to manipulate, strong. Light, durable. Good stuff. Expensive tooling is the production limitation, as I understand it. Though I don't know how the best 3D printing compares. Probably well.

At least we no longer have to assemble multi part models made of lead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stackofflapjacks posted:

Silly question perhaps, but do you have any tips? I have some skaven warlocks that I bought at the US Open that are in pewter and I'm not sure how to put them together or whether I need to pin the arms and stuff...
Do I use the same pin drill and drill bits? Do I need to pin the arms?

Jewellry files to sand any unfortunate trim, I never pinned any regular size metal miniatures as I found 2 part epoxy resin adequare to hold them together. Pinning is more for when you're trying to build a large scale fully metal dragon together and its made of actual lead, which is what we all used before white metal pewter became cool.

Lead was easier to work with but heavier, bendy if not careful and you know, lead.

Superglue is both fantastic but also a pain to work with because no matter how hard I try that poo poo gets everywhere and it takes a while to grow new skin after gluing fingers together by accident. I'd rather mix resin adhesives and live with the long drying time. Administer via toothpicks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Athas posted:

How big a problem is mould lines today? I've recently assembled plastic custodes and sisters of silence, and while I had to file down sprue attachment points, I did not notice much in the way of mould lines.

Depends on the cast. Modern plastics are generally pretty good. Of course if we're talking non-40k then it depends a lot on the origin and era. We can still buy metal minis first cast over 20 years ago.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Kingdom death miniatures are probably my personal gold standard for hiding mold lines by concealing them with clothing or body part joins. Wrong scale for 40k though, sadly. Unless you want alterative greater demons I suppose.

I guess actual Gundam kits are good too. They're on a different level though due to the focus being vehicles not human.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tangy yet delightful posted:

Until GW is paying me to write for them, I'll codices till the end of my days.

Your usage of debased low gothic has forced the local adeptus arbites to break down your hab door at midnight and haul you out into the street still half asleep, taken away to a processing facility. You are hereby banished from the upper hive with all the good recycled food and condemned to live in the underhive with all the scaly mutants, gangers and sludge eaters.

May the Emperor forgive your tainted soul.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Oh, yeah, big chance. Especially since they said they had such low prices because some of the boxes had damage or had been repackaged. I already have a Leviathan box I am painting so I am not too worried about what I might get. Kind of fun experiment!

[URL redacted by mod]

I bought some out of print Kingdom Death from them a couple years ago. Thought my payment went into the ether and "oh gently caress it all" but then eventually what I paid for turned up. Quality... uh... original casts I was lucky enough to get somehow. Wink.

I'm not sure its a money saving exercise though. You'd best use them for good quality stuff you simply can't buy elsewhere.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 13, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Do not link to or say the names of sites that are offering counterfeit miniatures, on SA. This runs afoul of the forum rules, Jeffrey does not want to receive C&D letters for this sort of thing so this is above my pay grade and not something I can be flexible on.

I've removed the link from your post. If you feel a terribly strong need to share things like that, do it in a way that doesn't show up on Jeffrey's radar. Thanks.

Sure thing, apologies.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cooked Auto posted:

Meanwhile I can't imagine lasguns being anything than in military green.
Bolters is poo poo the same, but to me lasguns should just be green. Or at least Cadian pattern lasguns.

A legacy from me starting 40k back when 2nd edition was still in print is I still think the regular scheme for any weapon is bright red casing and boltgun metal barrel / magazine / highlights. Maybe some blue glowy bits if plasma.

Not practical if camo? Well I don't know about that. Sounds non codex imperialis to me. Heretic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Demilich posted:

I have an epic related question.

I noticed there are larger drills besides the Terrax Pattern Termite Assault drill; aka the Mole & the Hellbore. Edit: I also learned the Plutonasl & Mantolith exist

Does anyone have an idea how long this drill might be if transposed to 40k tabletop? I found a huge drill toy in the thrift shop and am feeling the need to kitbash.

Offhand, no. However its a great idea. Maybe see if you can find some unrelated toys (Chinese knockoffs of Tonka? IDK) with complex drills in those cheap-ish shops that are around, you know what I mean, and browse to see if there is anything you can rip apart for bits.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I saw a picture within the past month or so of a really convincing glowing melta barrel and I can't find it. It might have been posted in this thread. Anyone have an idea?

There are a number of "glowing plasma gun paint tutorial" style videos on YouTube. Melta not so much.

There is this old WHTV video on melta muzzle burn. Not sure if its what you're after. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIKEfVoqC5U

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Thanks but it wasn't scorch marks. It was a gradiant to a neon-like orange that made it look as though it was glowing and being fired at that moment. Searching for glowing melta or meltagun gives me a few similar but imo inferior examples.

Sorry I can't help directly. I found a few "how to paint glow" things on YouTube but they weren't meltagun specific, more how to make parts of the minis really pop. If you find what you're describing please post it here though, I'd be keen to know too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

This reply wasn't the one I saw but is more or less the same effect from what I can remember:

That looks amazing. I can see why a how to video would be desirable.