Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Do 10th Ed games seem to be shorter than 9th Ed games were?

Yeah they seem like they go shorter by maybe half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

5 more chosen

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Very often in this game you just need a unit. Exaction squads are the cheapest unit available to almost every Imperium faction. They don't do anything special other than being the cheapest unit available.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

RagnarokZ posted:

Disagree.

There should be Chaos Agents and Xenos Agents of an equivalent nature.

poo poo like Cyper, Eldar Rangers, Squats, whatever.

Chaos Agents makes sense - Let every chaos faction take e.g Chaos Cultists. But Xenos Agents makes no sense, because "Xenos" is not in any way a unified faction.

Why would Eldar Rangers be helping out Genestealer Cults, Tyranids, Orks, or Necrons?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Also, the Falcon has better guns. They both have a shuriken cannon. The WS has a twin-linked heavy weapon of your choice, while the falcon has a single heavy weapon and a pulse laser.

The pulse laser is vastly more powerful than rerolling the wound rolls on the WS's turret weapon.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ASAPI posted:

I'm confused by using purely win/lose data as a metric to determine if a faction is over/under powered.

Do they use it because it is the only (largish) source of data available? I would think information like "armies that contain one or more unit with [TOWERING] (or whatever) won their games X% more than the average win/loss rate" would be more useful from a balance perspective. Then they seem to be completely ignoring other variables like number of turns played, was the opponent tabled, mission/terrain set, or any other factor that influences a "win".

Am I alone in thinking this metric is only a small piece of the story?

You are correct in that it is only part of the story, but it is the single metric that is both easiest to collect and gives the best overview.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Almost every single 40k tournament list along with how good it did is posted online and it is super easy to get that data and I'd be shocked if GW doesn't use it for balancing.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

But we don't actually know, right? Have they ever offered a deep dive into their process? Until they make some kind if blog post or video series showing how they actually balance, we're just assuming. I'd love to see a detailed break down of how they do balance; show me the step by step.

Just based on how I've seen any business run, the gap between what they obviously aughtta do and what actually happens can be enormous.

They haven't, but the fact that they specifically target problematic units that keep winning tournaments (often quite fast) and not just blanket nerf factions when their % gets too high tells us that they use more info than just win rates.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Except we do have perfect data on the meta because basically all tournament results are posted online.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

What are you guys even talking about, basically every single tournament in the world posts their lists and results to Best Coast Pairings. We have near perfect information on what goes on in tournaments at all levels. Obfuscating high level lists isn't a business decision by GW because GW has no control over what gets posted online.

And yeah the game definitely gravitates towards "solved" lists for each faction, but it is rare for a faction to have just one "solved" list and there is still plenty of innovation. And it is plenty fun playing high level competitive games.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Forgefiend, he is a handsome boy

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Captain No-mates posted:

Is there a good resource for seeing what citadel paints work as a highlight for other paints? I'm painting my 10th edition box as Hive Fleet Behemoth but I want to do a gross pale flesh for the symbiotic weapons and I'm not sure I'll pick the right paints.

There is no need to buy specific paints to highlight up each color. Mix your own on a wet pallette. It's way easier than you think and saves you a ton of money and issues. A slightly yellow offwhite, like a pale skintone, mixed into most any color will result in a perfect highlight color.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 15, 2023

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Abaddon done. Not sure about the decal on the cloak though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It is exceedingly easy to wrap your head around an entire SIX stratagems before the game starts.

I've played ~10 games of 10th edition against 7 different factions. Before every game I looked over the strats and went "hey do you mind just quickly explaining each of these to me and how you use them", and my opponent then spent about a minute doing so, and then I did the same for him. Even if my opponent had been some kind of rear end in a top hat who refused to explain the strats to me, I would have wrapped my head around them in two minutes.

The second time I played each faction I didn't even need to ask.

The fact that there might now be 36 Tyranid stratagems (or not, we don't really know) doesn't matter when your opponent is only using 6 of them in this particular game.

Compare this to coming cold to a faction in 9th where you had dozens of stratagems and you couldn't know which ones were relevant without spending a long time reading each and absorbing them, and there is absolutely no comparison.

10th isn't perfect but this is one of the good changes.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I didn't play in 9th but an argument I heard made in the thread, and I'm sympathetic to it theoretically regardless of how true it was or wasn't in 9th, was that too much of the game was "invisible". The current state of play then was so heavily impacted by stratagems, rather than unit and unit placement, that a lot of the game was taking place outside of the game boards physical reality, which is a problem in a miniatures game. If I spent all this time hobbying up an army, by god I want it to be the vast majority of the focus of play.

Whether or not it was true then, and whether or not it'll be true later in 10th, I don't know, but it's not something I'd personally want. Am I exaggerating how big of a problem it was?

There was no hidden information in 9th, just like there isn't in 10th.

The problem in 9th is that there were so many stratagems and so much wargear and so many upgrades that it was extremely hard to get a full understanding of the game state unless you were someone who knows the ins and outs of how the opposing faction functions, which isn't the case unless you are a extremely advanced player or have fought your opponent multiple times before.

There are four to six pages of stratagems in each codex in 9th. All of them are irrelevant garbage, except a couple, which will absolutely gently caress you over if you don't plan around them. In 10th, there are six stratagems, and all of them are relevant, more or less.

This problem still exists in 10th, but has been drastically cut down.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It kinda does if the other detachments are viable. I mean in 9e you could theoretically memorize the stratagems that nobody used but once you were familiar with your opponent’s army you only needed to know 6-8.

Here, if you are unfamiliar with your opponent’s army you’re going to constantly forget which stratagems go into which detachment, especially if you play against more than one different detachment with any regularity. Once you are familiar with which stratagems go to which detachment you’ll only need to think about 6, but that was the case in 9e too.

Yes, but you know which 6 they are using at the start of the game. You can just spend a minute to read them before deployment.

Sure, you might not perfectly remember them all game long, but the scale of the problem is vastly reduced from 9th.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Like half the problem with eldar is that they gave a faction that can just roll a 6 any time they want tons of high damage weapons with Devastating Wounds.

Fate Dice as it stands right now isn't super impactful since it is only 1/phase - Except if you use it to roll a 6 to wound on something like a D-Cannon.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kaal posted:

As a total outsider to the game, it certainly seems like one of the big reasons that GW is having such serious balance issues is that they jettisoned the unit slots and weapon costs which had previously been critical balancing features. By removing those elements, they gave themselves a massive and perhaps impossible job of balancing everything based purely on a single number that is supposed to be equally valuable across all factions and detachments.

That's not it at all, it's not like the thing that is making Eldar overpowered is that now they don't have to pay 15 points or whatever to take a Bright Lance or that they don't have to spend like 150 points on troops. Likewise the biggest winner from no points wargear, Imperial Guard and their sponsons, is not doing too hot right now.

No points for wargear may be a bad idea for other reasons, but it isn't the cause of the imbalance.

The reason balance is poor right now is extremely simple. We went from having a mature ruleset where balance had been tweaked for three years and was in a pretty good place, to rewriting each of the 25 factions and thousands of units in this game in one fell swoop with inadequate playtesting.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Also, and this is just a personal thing. I can't imagine making each Ion blaster worth 20 points a pop or whatever the limit is is a satisfying way to balance things. I would rather make the other guns have something going on, especially with Tau in the state it is right now where we have a dearth of all of these fun weapon keywords. Make burst cannons have Sustained, tweak Missile Pod AP, whatever it takes. Hell, maybe represent the actual situation of the weapons on the sprue and limit each suit to one Ion. They did the same for the dreadful Airburst Frag Launcher!

All guns costing the same thing (i.e 0) would be cool if they could manage to make each gun actually about as good, but at different things. In some cases this would be fairly easy (i.e this is the anti big thing gun, this is the anti lots of small things gun), but for models with just a silly amount of options that would be extremely difficult.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

it would probably be good if 40K had some sort of system like many other wargames do, where being down points from max is a "bid" on some minor benefit (like early initiative or something) but 1950 pts of your best units for this plan is not at a meaningful disadvantage against 2000 pts.

They even figured this out already with Age of Sigmar. The player with less points gets a free Triumph, which lets you choose a once per game ability:

So you don't really care if you are 50 points under or something, since you'll get something in return.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is pretty wildly optimistic. By mid summer 2024 we’ll have, at best, 8-10 codices, several of which may (will) be Space Marine chapters. Half of the game will still be on index rules.

How many armies are still on index rules has no bearing on how good the balance is though, since they update points frequently and are even willing to change rules if they become problematic enough.

Hell, there is probably an inverse correlation between new releases and overall balance, since they don't seem to be able to balance new rules for poo poo if they don't have a few months of public play data to work with.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Passed 2k painted points of Iron Warriors so I took a family photo. Taking a photo of an entire army is hard.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yikes, that fulgrim is resin? I would abso-loving-lutely not want to deal with these gigantic thin wings in resin. That is gonna break. It's just gonna.

Also I'm confused now, I thought Primaris didn't have a Scout phase? Are they retconning that? Or are these actually new firstborn models? :confused:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Question for the thread, how important is a uniform paintjob across a force for you? With no EC codex on the horizon and no specific units for said army I've been building up a CSM army painted generally as EC but I've been hankering to paint some other legions up. As long as the rim color is the same would it be inconsiderate to my opponents if in my predominantly pink army there is suddenly a squad of Night Lords raptors or Iron Warriors legionaries mixed in? I assume not but kinda wanted to feel out if it was some sort of faux pas.

I don't give two hot shits about the lore (even then it can work), but from an aesthetic, visual standpoint it can be kinda jarring.

What you can do however is to tie them together visually in some way. Pick a thing that is consistent among all the groups that ties them together. For instance, do the trim on all of them the same way. Or make them all have the right shoulderpad in the same color. Or paint all the little loincloths the same color. Or something like that.

Just something that ties them all together and visually tells you that these guys, although from disparate groups, have all been hanging out.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Couldn't that just be handwaved away as a Black Crusade force? I'm not the best on lore these days, but wasn't that many legions under Abaddon's command?

Not so much "command" as "got everyone to go along with it". There's still so much animosity and distrust between the various legions that a integrated force would be extremely unusual. They might nominally work together when something big is going on but even then it would be along the lines of "you guys hold this flank while we advance up the other and if we see you in our sector we frag you".

On the other hand, anyone can join Abaddon's Black Legion, but that involves swearing off your previous affiliation and giving loyalty to Abaddon. So the Black Legion is not only the previous Sons of Horus, but has members originally from every other traitor legion or renegade chapter.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stephenls posted:

That reminds me a friend's story about trying to find the historically accurate shade of grey paint used for a certain submarine, actually tracking down the guys who painted it and asking them, and being told "We were given tins of black paint and tins of white paint and told to mix them."

I saw a similar story play out once - Two guys were having a long, drawn out argument in a Flames of War facebook group about the correct shade of dark green to paint your WW2 Soviet tanks. It had been going for days, and they were both getting pretty irate.

Then a third guy barges in with the actual honest to god specification document given to the tank factories by the Soviet army, and it just said "tanks shall be painted an appropriate shade of dark green", which translates to "we don't give a gently caress, just paint the tanks green"

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

moths posted:

So they know it's a problem and they have a solution that works for the customers, but for some (presumably internal) reason they've only ever done it once.

The reason for that is fairly obvious - they have a surprisingly small amount of machines (iirc it was like 8?). These machines are cranking out sprues all day every day. Switching them from one sprue to another takes a significant amount of time. The production schedule for these machines is worked out months in advance.

If they do a print on demand thing, they can't plan around it. They don't know how much they'll get in advance. And if it's a snap decision like with Indomitus, it means that the rest of the production schedule gets all hosed up.

It is really hard for them to react to surprising demand peaks. For instance, every Arbites box in existance was probably pressed all in one go like two years ago. There was one machine cranking out Arbites sprues for a couple of weeks, and then those sprues were packed into boxes. Someone had figured that a cute little Kill Team of space cops would sell X amount of units, and they produced those in advance.

Then whoops the 10th ed writers accidentally made Aribtes a super good unit for half the armies in the game and demand skyrockets. But there are still only these X amount of boxes in circulation. And they can't make more without either loving the rest of their schedule up for months (which they won't) or finding time for X more Arbites boxes like, six months down the line.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

neurolictors struck me as the sort of cheap speedbump/disruption unit you run in multiples but that's a really crowded niche for nids and i doubt you'll want multiple different ones. it'll come down to points i think

What, Neurolictors are absolutely sick. 60 point lone operative with infiltrate that can potentially hand out -1 to hit AND +1 to being wounded if they fail a battleshock test.

Most other armies will gladly pay 100 points for a unremarkable lone operative character with nothing else.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Was playing what I would think is a "fluffy" force (guardians in wave serpents, pair of fire prisms, 3 war walkers, windriders, wing autarch, warlocks, farseer, plus a bike version of both).

[...]

Or more likely I've discovered the mythical bad eldar list.

You just made a bad list. Most of the Eldar lineup is extremely tame, but a big chunk of it is a flaming pile of bullshit. You carefully avoided taking any of the good poo poo except fire prisms, wing autarch, and war walkers. And even then, War Walkers can be bad depending on your weapon options.

Guardians in particular are dogshit. They had a role before the first nerf in that they generated Fate Dice, but now you can't really use your Fate Dice fast enough for that to matter.

Fate Dice aren't very good unless you have some extremely impactful rolls to spend it on, and D-Cannons and Wraithknights provide these impactful rolls aplenty.

Eldar aren't so busted that you can just take a random list and stomp everyone, but it is very easy to make a list that stomps everyone.

As a eldar player I'm kinda worried that once they smash the good poo poo with a huge and well deserved nerf the faction will be kinda bad. But the list of good poo poo is extremely long.

e: Also yeah TSons are extremely good, too. A bad Eldar list going against a good TSons list will have a bad time.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

arent those sculpts from the days they had traces of lead in them

They're from 1994. Them and the couple of other Eldar holdouts from that same release are literally the second oldest models sold by GW.

The oldest is the Skaven plague priest from 1993

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Please Games Workshop. Please just realize that making the rules freely available lowers the barrier of entry to your game and makes you more money.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

It probably doesn't though

I got into 40k again because my little brother bought some Necrons and I played some games against him using Bolt Action WW2 guys as Imperial Guard, using rules I found on Wahapedia. Had the rules not been available for free, albeit illegally, I would not have done this. I would not have spent 100$+ on books just to play a couple of casual games of a game I didn't care about at the time.

This has spiralled into me spending multiple thousands of dollars on GW product in the years since.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah speed paints are extremely useful as heavy washes or as glazes even if you have no interest in using them as advertised.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PharmerBoy posted:

The Community post writes that the Oath of Moment change is supposed to be a sidegrade. Marines are losing rerolls for Wound rolls in Oath of Moment, but a bunch of units are supposed to be gaining the ability to reroll Wound rolls from their unit rules.

Really depends heavily on which units get this ability and what hoops they may have to jump through to activate it, so it's a bit early to really decipher which way this will push things.

Remember when 10th was supposed to be the "less rerolls" edition? Lmao

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Athas posted:

The Exorcist is probably the best model in the game. A pipe organ tank, and also the organ pipes are missile tubes. This transcends even art.

The new Exorcist is rad as gently caress but the old one had one detail that was absolutely perfect - The gunner? organist? had this absolutely perfect "I'm doing a sweet fuckin' solo on this thing" face. The new ones are all just kind of vanilla "I'm very determined and angry" face.

Only closeup I could find

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kaal posted:

Mostly I just feel like it's pretty lame for bolters and chainswords to be so iconic and yet the 10th edition rules really discourage you from using them.

Has there been a single solitary version of Warhammer 40k where massed dudes with bolters was good in any way?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Finished magnus (x-post from the mini thread)

holy loving poo poo dude :eyepop:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

So I just realised something, Scouts are not on the pre-order docket. And they just sneakily mentioned that the new KT box is on its way. :tinfoil:

Word on the nerd street is that the next KT starter is Scouts vs Striking Scorpions along with new jungle terrain

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kaal posted:

It occurs to me that this conversation is touching on what is the core part of a Marine Scout - whether they are light-armored recon, or that they are untested rookies. Having Neophytes in Black Templar Crusader squads, or Blood Claws led by a Grey Hunter in Space Wolf Packs, makes a lot of sense to me. They touch on the tradition of squires following their knights into battle, or Viking youths proving themselves in battle. There’s also more modern examples of Cadet Companies, which are in the game as Cadian Whiteshields.

Also the two are kind of mutually exclusive. In reality recon is actually kind of hard and super important and not something you want to entrust to newbies.

Space wolves flipping it on it's head and making the grizzled old veterans scouts always made more sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Reading Harrowmaster and the utter lack of patience the other Alpha Legion warbands have for the guys who call themselves "Alpharius" is killing me.

That scene is so good.

You have guys who range from "hates chaos as much as the Imperium" to "half-possessed demon worshipper" at a big meeting of Alpha Legion head honchos, and they all kinda hate and distrust each other, and then some jackass introduces himself as "Alpharius" and everybody else groans and rolls their eyes in unison.