Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't quite know if they have strict regimental organizations anymore, I haven't really seen that in the codices aside from alluding to it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So the lion

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What chapter are you trying to make them for?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have wolves for that. Except they're now OC 0 :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Riptides are cool as hell but stormsurges are dumb.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Depends on how you want to play them:

A billion guardsmen
As many tanks as you can afford

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the kill team kroot box looks sick as hell though

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Nah, you need to light them on fire once they come in

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was it GSW or another company that published that book about how to make nazi gas chamber dioramamas? I think it was a spanish company.

AK but also spanish

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ashcans posted:

Warhammer Community posted the latest winrates, which show that there is still a lot of work to be done on balance:

I guess I at least feel validated for how much I felt it sucked playing my Sisters into Eldar, so that's something. Also lol at GW absolutely tanking their newest faction.

I'm curious how space wolves are doing better than BA, because the SW players were dooming over the changes from 9th

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jassi007 posted:

someone said that the winning SW lists are using the Gladius Task Force detachment, so basically SW have better units than other chapters but are using vanilla SM rules to best effect.

That's what I figured was happening.

Also in the op there should be the description of the diy magnetic case (magnets on models, sheet metal/baking tray in a box or an Ikea kvissle).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I would also recommend linking to monument hobbies. The pro-acryl paints are very nice for beginners and experts and come in dropper bottles. Also their branded brushes are surprisingly good, as they're likely just Windsor and Newton series7 with a different handle. I've been using their #4 sable brush as a daily driver for a while and it's on par with the #2 Raphael 8404 that it replaced. The #2 brush is good but I like the feel of the #1 Raphael more for extremely fine detail, so the monument brush has been relegated to the hazardous job of fine detail work with metallic paints. Idk how the synthetic brushes are but if you're buying synthetic then just get bulk brushes meant for a kindergarten classroom's watercolor day.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ASAPI posted:

I'm confused by using purely win/lose data as a metric to determine if a faction is over/under powered.

Do they use it because it is the only (largish) source of data available? I would think information like "armies that contain one or more unit with [TOWERING] (or whatever) won their games X% more than the average win/loss rate" would be more useful from a balance perspective. Then they seem to be completely ignoring other variables like number of turns played, was the opponent tabled, mission/terrain set, or any other factor that influences a "win".

Am I alone in thinking this metric is only a small piece of the story?

You sound like every good article reviewer I've ever encountered in academia

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like excel. I made a column with what models I have, which ones are painted, and then I put a number in the column for how many units for each selection, and then another column tallies up the points total. I can't use it on my phone but it prints out easier than battlescribe

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I guess I just thought they were going to use custom data sheets or something to make them more balanced. Or special rules like off board fire support, or respawning units when they're destroyed l, etc. Because like everyone is saying, the boxes were never meant to fight each other.

I mean, doesn't the Dark Angels dreadnaught have a Redemptor Dreadnaught??

And inceptors, who are supposed to be ran as bolt inceptors for the combat patrol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know they explicitly want to make vehicles tougher and more desirable to play, which is why meltas didn't get a proportional S increase to keep up, but it seems like several armies like Sisters and Death Guard and so on really struggle with them. Would bumping meltas up to S10 or 12 to keep on par with lascannons really make vehicles so much worse?

Keep them the same str but add anti-vehicle 4+ for the regular melta and 3+ for the multi

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Devorum posted:

That would work if there weren't units that could take enough Meltas to delete 2 Questoris Knights in a single turn with those rules.

3 Retributor squads could table any vehicle army.

It's a common GW issue with a lot of weapons.

Good. gently caress imperial knights.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I posted a giant OP about this...

Effort is rarely worth it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Good luck have fun! Remember it's a social game so the most important thing is that you and your opponent work together to have a fun time together.

I wish everyone who played tabletop games understood this

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sometimes you want contrast, other times you don't because the model is already so busy

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rantmo posted:

At my game last night we had a bunch of questions about the rules for ruins, first and foremost we were unclear about how, exactly, visibility works with ruins. The rules say that models wholly in the terrain can see out normally and that models outside of ruins can see models wholly within, does that mean that you still need LOS from windows or what have you? I would assume so but the phrasing is ambiguous enough that I wasn't sure.

Since infantry can move through ruins as if the ruin was not there, does that mean that infantry can charge though ruins? It would seem like they can though the logistics are--and were--kind of a nightmare. Semi-related, can a model, infantry or otherwise that is b2b with the ruin wall attack a model that is also b2b with that wall? We debated it though it didn't actually come up.

Finally, the rules say that infantry models can be set on any level of a ruin, but does that cost any movement and does it cost any movement for them to drop levels?

Yes, once in terrain you still need true LOS. There's a good breakdown in one of the supplements they released that I will go find now. Edit: page 12 https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/KBvH5h3oY5QREpmG.pdf

Infantry can charge through ruins, and engagement range is measured through the wall. This is why if the defender places models close enough to the physical wall such that the charger can not physically place a model within an inch of the defender without clipping through the wall, the defender is effectively unchargable. Generally you do this by placing defending models exactly 24mm away from the wall that has a thickness larger than 2mm. But if the defender was right up against the wall then the attacker can melee through the wall, which is dumb but RAW. Welcome to rules lawyering.

Vertical movement counts as total movement. If infantry need to go 3" horizontally then 5" vertically (up or down) that's a total of 8" required. However, a new and dumb thing is that fliers use direct lines for moving instead of just magically ignoring all terrain and just zooming across the board with impunity. So if the model in the previous scenario can fly, that's only a total of 4" required instead of 8".

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I do insanely fine detail work under a 50x microscope for school/work so building models actually helps keep up the dexterity to the point where I'm currently writing a methods paper for a weird technique I came up with.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tabletop games are all about the people you play with and if everyone in your area doesn't vibe with you then it's an uphill battle

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

All this talk of building models has me very excited for the Reaper Bones kickstarter I put in for a few years back. I can just pick up a mini and start painting it instantly!

They have a lot of mould lines

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Devorum posted:

This just drives home, to me, how much the "one detachment until codex" system sucks.

Imagine still having a single detachment in 2025 while 60% of the factions have 5+ to choose from.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Even if tyranids have 6 detachments, everyone will hyper focus on the one agreed optimal one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If printing and shipping issues are the reason why the codices have staggered releases, I wish GW would rocket into the 21st century and just not tie rules to physical things

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crab Dad posted:

Why dont they just point modify the entire group.
Take the bottom tier armies and just give them a percentage increase in points and see how that shakes out. Doesnt require a point change in a hard book either.

So Eldar take 2000pts and the silly dwarves take 2200 points. Still suck? Increase until the win rates are nearly 50/50.

That is a bad idea.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A lot of the problem comes from trying to alter a chill game where you and your friend hang out and move toy soldiers around a table into something competitive. Honestly, of all the competitive nerd hobbies out there, 40k is the one I would tell people not to get into. Learn street fighter or guilty gear or mtg.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

moths posted:

My friend speculated that the index armies will keep the free upgrades, while codex armies will have to pay for their poo poo again.

Which seems pretty likely IMO.

My friend works at Nintendo and agrees with this

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Thousand Sons are going to be in Space Marine 2:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I would not suggest anyone expect the 2ft long resin wings on fulgrim to last long on the completed model

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

Whats the point of scouts now that phobos exists?

To appease grognards whove played them for the past 20 years and tournament dudes who seem to always shove them into meta lists

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

I found a neat cheap solution for datasheets, i can print the cards in a 6 card grid, increase the size by 10% and i have perfectly readable datasheets that fit perfectly in Tarot card sized sleeves! Now i can simply print and swap them out when they change!

or you can print them the size of playing cards and put the sheets in holders that are in a binder

https://spikeybits.com/2023/06/better-sizes-10th-edition-index-datacards-formatted-for-printing-warhammer-40k.html?expand_article=1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1h0mUPx5pJv170wy8rT-Ienc_sm_bXSLB

this isn't :filez: because it's already free stuff that's just formatted differently

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The painting phase is cool but mostly about the hobby and stuff rather than like 40k in particular.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

Is that good or bad?

Good imo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Grimdark is boring. Bright colors are fun. Are you boring? Or are you fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i wish GW credited their artists like MTG does