Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sorry to barge into discussion, but just going to throw out that I was watching some Street Fighter 6 tournament over the weekend and one of the commentators mentioned something along the lines of "piloting a character".

There might be some deeper meaning to it, but imo it could also be some lingo thing picked up on the internet because people don't want to use the word play or control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So I am looking at this thread because I have a serious case of :brainworms:

Took a look at the guard combat patrol box, which at the start seems reasonably priced.

And then I made the mistake of building out a 1000 point list, which looks a lot less reasonably priced at like $500 or something.

And just using the combat patrol box building it out to something like

quote:

CHARACTER

Platoon Command Squad (75pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Grand Strategist
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Laspistol
• 4x Lasgun

BATTLELINE

Infantry Squad (120pts)
• 1x Sergeants, 14 Guardsmen and 2 Heavy Weapons Team
• 4x Laspistol
• 18x Close Combat Weapon
• 14x Lasgun
• 2x Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad (120pts)
• 4x Laspistol
• 14x Lasgun
• 2x Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad (120pts)
• 4x Laspistol
• 14x Lasgun
• 2x Heavy Bolter

OTHER DATASHEETS

Field Ordnance Battery (120pts)
• 2x Ordnance Teams
• 1x Battery Close Combat Weapons
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Bombast Field Gun

Field Ordnance Battery (120pts)
• 2x Ordnance Teams
• 1x Battery Close Combat Weapons
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Bombast Field Gun

Ratling Snipers (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Sniper Rifle

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Militarum Multi-laser

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
All of the weapon choices are place holder, but you get the idea I think? I mean it's two combat patrol boxes and then some extras to fill out the rest.

But subjecting myself, and everyone else that I would play with to that many miniatures seems insane.

Why not just make a more tanky army?

quote:

BATTLELINE

Cadian Shock Troops (60pts)
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant and 9 Shock Troopers
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Chainsword
• 8x Lasgun
• 9x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Plasma Gun

Cadian Shock Troops (60pts)
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant and 9 Shock Troopers
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Chainsword
• 8x Lasgun
• 9x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Plasma Gun

CHARACTER

Lord Solar Leontus (125pts)
• 1x Conquest
• 1x Konstrain's Hooves
• 1x Sol's Righteous Gaze
• 1x Warlord

OTHER DATASHEETS

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tank (180pts)
• 1x Leman Russ Battle Cannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Lascannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank (180pts)
• 1x Leman Russ Battle Cannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher (200pts)
• 1x Demolisher Battle Cannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Lascannon

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon

Of course I'm being stupid here by insisting on three tanks, but hey I'm trying to justify my fancy names HQ here or something.

Anyway, I just have to get this all out of my head. This poo poo is too expensive, too much work, I'll probably never go through with it. Because looking over the rules it seems like everything got compressed to a model is just a model. A tank can be substituted for any other big boy model with big stats and there isn't anything all that tanky about it.

And hell maybe I'd prefer to just paint a bunch of chaos marine in bright red World Eaters color scheme and just play them like a regular chaos legion instead.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

It sounds like you are coming to this edition from 3rd edition, when we had facings and those super exciting glance/pen charts.
Yeah, last time I played was when my mother drove me down to scarborough town center (or wherever that games workshop store was) on sunday. None of the super weird rules made sense back then, i just wanted to play with all the cool looking miniature soldiers and tanks.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Check out the new holiday box FYI - looks to be around a 30 percent discount for two dorns, two infantry squads, and a command squad.
Yeah I took a look and if you combine it with a combat patrol box you get 1000 points exactly, after you convert the sentinel to a scout variant.

I thought people were going to talk me out of it, but you're all enablers here.

Anyway, I haven't even decided on a color scheme yet, and I need to clear up a work area for painting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I did end up ordering a combat patrol box yesterday because it looked like a local shop was selling it at 20% less than MSRP.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Do you still live / work in the Toronto area? If so, we have a group that hangs out twice a month to roll dice, it's extremely welcoming to newbies as well.

I'm in the GTA, Richmond Hill.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How'd I do, haven't painted a blue boy in a year or so

Maybe I'm looking for something to nitpick, not that I have any experience with painting

it looks good except for the highlights on the bracer and the backpack. They don't seem to blend in as well as on the other parts of the miniature, even when scaled down. It could be just the angle too, what do I know.

The shading on the middle robe thing is kinda eh, but it's also dark so it doesn't stand out.

The skeleton standard came out great though. It's really busy so all the color and the shading blends into a nice cohesive image.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's really weird because some stuff is still accessible like whatever is in the Black Templar combat patrol or something.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You guys really need to see how awkwardly it's handled in the app.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I should not have looked at this Cadian decal sheet because I wanted to know what was up with all the numbers.

And apparently all of their squads are organized into ten guardsmen.

Which makes me question my previous assumptions about imperial guard.

Also why a platoon commander can only effectively give orders to one of the three squads under them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Bee posted:

I think it would count as movement, so it'd have to be on your move phase.

:hmmyes:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It also forces you into using their app if you don't know about better alternatives.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They are, but it feels more hidden away.

I didn't find it until days later after I started looking at this stuff.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why did 40K Imperium stop painting all of their weapons red? Did someone look at them and think "We need to make this look a lot more boring"?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

u control the paints u put on ur minis

Yes, but I'm boring and unimaginative. Even though I don't like the new Cadian color scheme for guards, the best I can come up with in one of those painting templates is:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Green lasguns are fine, but I just liked the idea of a more unified look for weapons across the empire.

And red goes so much better with a chainsword or anything bolt.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I whipped up something in IMPCat

That lasgun looks so good, I really do like darker tones even if they're not as eye-catching.

I'll need to mess around with this app a bit, I think I prefer lighter uniform and darker armor contrast.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

impcat is kind of cheating, those presets and automated color pickers do so much work.

Almost anything looks good if you pick natural light shades.

Anyway, main point, red lasguns still good. The new guard models are a lot more detailed and you can make them look really nice with extra work. Just need to pick the right shades of green and brown.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It looks better from other angles.

where the lower legs are more clear and you can see the separation.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That sounds to me like they were trying to "simulate" a situation like it's real life. That's the sense I got when thinking back to 3rd edition rules and realizing that 40K was supposed to be a "war game" and not a "game". It might be more obvious with Warhammer where you have to deal with ranks and files and regiments.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What do you mean too far? That looks perfect.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Black Friday and Christmas are effectively a single holiday sales season now.

The rest can only cling on to their niches of big family dinner and candy.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you don't know on which day the Emperor was born, I guess every day is his birthday?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think I just spent 5 hours gluing together 5 miniatures.

Only 20 more guardsmen left to go.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah my bottle of extra thin Tamiya evaporates in seconds, but it's also a very old bottle and I don't know if that makes a difference.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Demilich posted:

The Hearthguard proportions just don't look Dwarven to me

They look like terran marines.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

I would just throw the regular Guard force organisation out the window.

So did every existing regiment.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Teatime posted:

Tamiya thin is excellent but if you try and use it like a regular glue, applying it and then sticking two bits together, you will find it doesn’t work particularly well and evaporated really fast. The trick with the thin stuff and what makes it really nice is making use of capillary action, you hold your pieces together and just touch the brush to the seam and it will flow through the entire joint making no mess from you squishing bits together.

Don’t overload the glue brush, you’ll find a single touch with a small amount is enough to shoot round, for example, the halves of a space marine torso. For larger things like vehicle hulls with long seams just apply at a few points around the connecting point.

You're right, that is what the instructions on the bottle say you should do.

Easier with scale models than warhammer miniatures though. They have some awkward joints, and even more awkward when attaching the base sometimes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

15/25 guardsmen assembled, more than halfway there.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The coat looks great, and looking at the guide I would have stopped at step 4 or 5 depending on the results.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Onto the second squad of guardsmen and I'm already destroying plastic because the manual only provides two poses per miniature and I don't want to repeat any of the ones I did some hours ago.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The models are at different angles, but it's the coat collar. On the conversion it looks close enough to make it look like the coat is being worn, instead of just floating there on the game workshop sculpt. Or a stiff high collar just doesn't look good if it's not framing the head properly.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

After gluing twenty five guardsmen

I'm already sick of Cadia's poo poo. There's just not enough variety, I need to find a way to break this up somewhat.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're only slightly more expensive than Astra Militarum from looking at the Games Workshop store page. They are a lot more expensive on points though in comparison.

Looking at the prices again, smaller armies seem to be a lot cheaper in terms of pricing, 10 miniature are in the same price range, smh.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 6, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am tempted to just get another cheap guard combat patrol box, because it would be silly to get those minis another way.

But I'm also just rethinking this whole guards thing now. I'm going to try and exercise some self control and not buy anything until I get the ones I have done and painted.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I know I can go search old posts, but maybe it's easier to just ask.

What drilling tools do I need to magnetize the miniatures?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I just don't like the Leonardo da Vinci aesthetic they're going for with Skitarii.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm imagining the logic is something like the dark age of imperium is the european dark age, so the slightly more advanced tech priests are the european renaissance. That's why some of their weapons is a high tech arquebus.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah guard infantry is a filler in every value box or something I guess.

But there's still a problem with that and that's they are all boring cadians. So as mentioned you need to go straight to printing or third party sculpts or anything to find something more interesting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Having a cavalry wing sounds like a cool idea, but is it better than just getting another sentinel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Should've been Abaddon in the background.