Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
World Eaters once upon a time had a dedicated long range unit called the Teeth of Khorne. This was in the lore, not necessarily in the game. They could've included them as a havocs-equivalent with some sort of special rule to differentiate them. I mean, just look at this guy.

At least they got access to all the tanks and demon engines they were missing in 9th. Their codex was really anemic and they're still missing basic stuff like lords that aren't on juggernauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was really excited about the castigator and the new kit looks great, but now that it's coming out I think I'm going to hold off for a bit. I've got enough to work on right now.

The ammo feed assembly also looks like something designed to personally target hams like myself who must eliminate every moldline and visible seam. :shepface:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Has there been a single solitary version of Warhammer 40k where massed dudes with bolters was good in any way?

Yeah. In 30k. :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Does anyone play 30k/Horus Heresy ITT? I’m giving serious thought to dipping a toe in but only if I can use my existing rhinos, predators, vindicators and land raider. I know there are Deimos pattern Horus heresy specific versions of some of these, just curious about how different they are and how likely the community is to frown upon that sort of thing.
Yes, you can absolutely use 40k tanks in 30k. It's just an aesthetic thing and no one will mind. A rhino's a rhino, a land raider's a land raider.

As far as advice goes, the standard 40k predator loadouts are pretty good tank hunters (take lascannon sponsons with either turret). If you want something weirder, 30k has something like nine turret options for them which are covered by the two deimos kits. Land raiders are great delivery vehicles for melee elites and decent anti-tank in their own right. Demolisher cannon vindicators are in a weird spot right now, but I think they're pretty good in a squadron of three and they're only like 110 points a pop. They hit like trucks, but there's been some rejiggering of stats to where they aren't the anti-everything pie plate they were in older editions. Just need to pick your targets a bit. That said, I'm planning a full squadron of them myself so I'm not talking poo poo here. I love those things.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Super Waffle posted:

Any Orlangoons going to the Tampa US Open on the 14th? Not participating in any of the tournaments but I will be doing the Open Gaming as well as the NMM class. Its my first time going to a Warhammer event, whats the vibe like?

I can't speak for GW's official events, but I've been to LVO and NOVA a few times each along with some smaller stuff. Vibes at a ham event are generally pretty good. Outside of some weirdos, everyone is happy to be there, rolling dice and showing off their models while admiring others'. NOVA is probably the closest equivalent I've been to. It's all about organized events during the day, ranging from competitive to casual. At night you have the option of playing in more events or just hanging out on open tables playing whatever you want with your pals. That's my preferred way to go, but sometimes a certain game is only offered at night. That's probably not a problem at the official events though. If you're doing open gaming, don't be afraid to be a little pushy to set up games, especially if you don't know anyone else there. People will generally be very friendly, but if you sit there on your phone playing the wallflower you won't get to play.

I was thinking of attending the Tampa event too, but it doesn't look like my schedule will work out that way. I would've been going for Kill Team or Shadespire though, not 40k. I thought about playing Blood Bowl, but I don't think going to an event is the best way to reintroduce myself to it. I miss that game.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 6, 2023

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

GW sells the metal bits from the 3e noise marine kit as two separate finecast kits for $15 per fwiw
Nah, that's the 3rd edition kit. It was hybridized with the plastic CSM kit. The 2nd edition ones would've been full metal casts.

I recently grabbed one of the old 2nd edition deathwing terminators to fill out a squad and that little dude was like $35-$40. Still had the old price tag on the clamshell. I should've stockpiled pewter when I was a kid.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

I know, I was suggesting it as an alternative
My mistake. I misread and thought you said 2e, not 3e.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a copy of the Rogue Trader book I got at a NOVA or something a while back. The book is awesome, but holy poo poo are the rules incomprehensible. I have no idea how anyone played it.

I also have the reprinted Khorne/Slaanesh Realm of Chaos book. I still need the Nurgle/Tzeentch one. I haven't been able to snag it an event yet. Maybe they'll both follow as print-on-demand eventually.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

coelomate posted:

DC area seems really active.

Lady Militant posted:

Oh poo poo DC area???
If y'all're in DC you have one of the biggest ham conventions right at your doorstep with NOVA. It was at the Washington Hilton this year; it's always on Labor Day weekend. I'm not a local, but I've been to three NOVAs and it's a great event with a ton of options even if competitive 40k isn't your thing. I mostly go for 30k and Titanicus, but take a look at this year's schedule to see what else could be available. Games tend to be offered in multiple formats as well.

This is just an observation, but the DC/Northern Virginia area seems pretty active with a number of good groups if the folks at NOVA are any indication.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

Also, can anyone help me identify Mr. Fist here? Again, I'm dumb and cut the tab off ages ago for basing purposes.

That's Captain Cortez from 3rd edition.

It's, uh, not remembered as a good sculpt.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Athas posted:

Is pinning necessary for resin models? I intend to buy a large-ish resin model soon, and I don't know what to expect, except a need for superglue.
If the connections are flat-on-flat, yes. Pinning is recommended for larger resin models. If it's just like a space marine arm/shoulder joint there's no need. A lot of the larger models have socketed connections though and a good super glue will hold that fine.

For general tips for resin, don't worry about it too much. It's a little softer than plastic, more flexible, and less brittle. If you sand it, clean up your area and consider wearing a mask if you'll be doing a lot of it. Be a little more careful with it than you would be with plastic, but it's really not bad to work with. I honestly prefer it in some respects. For example, you can apply heat to bend almost anything, it won't melt. I use a small heat gun for that, but a blow dryer or even just hot water will work too. I'm assuming this is a Forge World model so I want to stress that you should wash your resin before assembly. They use a release agent in casting this stuff and it can make glue bond weirdly or paint to slide off the model. This is less of a problem today than it was, most modern kits have almost no release agent on them, but it's not something you want to worry about. Use warm, soapy water and scrub with an old toothbrush or something similar.

Edit: If this is a finecast model, you won't need to wash the resin. Finecast is pretty awful to deal with though. It's way more brittle than good resin and will take every opportunity to bend. It was something of a stop gap GW developed that would still let them use the molds for pewter models. This leads to casting issues and the molds have been altered to include a bunch of little triangles to account for undercuts. There can be a lot of clean up involved. It's trash and I really recommend avoiding it if you can.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 24, 2023

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Athas posted:

Thanks, this is very useful. The two sets I intend buying are the Sagittarum Guard Upgrade Set (small bits of resin glued to plastic), which I'm not too worried about, and the Telemon Heavy Dreadnought, which will be the largest model I've ever assembled. From what I've reading, and by skimming the assembly instructions, it does not look like it will be too difficult by resin standards.
You won't need to worry about either one of those kits. The custodes range is modern and the sculpts/casts are great. FW's dreadnought kits always went together very well and that thing will be pretty poseable. You shouldn't need to pin much if anything. I recommend gluing one foot down and then building up the leg to the hips and then down the other leg to the second foot. It'll help get the pose right and you can adjust each individual piece as you go. Also dry fit multiple times before gluing anything. Always dry fit and take your time.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

some flavor of marine pulling them apart with your hands like a starving Cajun at an anime mecha-crawfish boil.
Please don't steal my custom chapter.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Complete with Chapter Master Zat A'Rains and 1st company chaplain Fraynke Dae-Vis.
As if the chapter master would be anyone but Paul Prudhomme.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The spear is an optional piece for the real sickos who have no intent to ever transport that model. There's a sword that goes on the same arm so you can at least eliminate that if you're worried. He's going to need his own carefully laid out foam case with those wings though. I think the fragility of resin is a bit overstated, but the spines on those wings are begging to snap off.

coelomate posted:

Did FW release resin primarchs before GW made plastic ones in the past, or is this resin monument to hubris all poor fulgrim will ever have?
FW has been putting out resin primarchs for 30k for years. Way before GW started making plastic ones. All 18 have models, Angron was the first back in 2012 and Khan was the last in early 2022. Now they're making variants like Big Evil Horus (who runs 1000 points on his own) and this new Fulgrim. They'll probably continue with stuff like Lorgar Transfigured or Khan on a jetbike (both of which have rules) and not just demon primarchs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

I guess it's conceivable they give Big E a model.

Cooked Auto posted:

Nah, that's not going to happen. Because then they would also have to give him rules at the same time.

I think it's going to happen eventually, but it's going to be a long, long time. He actually got a small shout out in the 1.0 custodes rules. It was nothing significant, but there was a rule for one of their HQ choices that dictated they had to be the army's warlord unless the Emperor or Valdor was in the army. There was certainly no intention of releasing a model any time soon, it was just included as a cute little nod for lore reasons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The new site is so bad. Hahahahaha.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Closing their official forums was one of the smartest things GW ever did.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember when it was, but there was a price increase not that long after the AoD box dropped. It launched at $300 and got increased to $310. All I know is it's not new with the site change.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

We're also, at least in theory, supposed to get some final Heresy releases this year -- assault beakies with jump packs and a set (sets?) of plastic melee weapons.

There's also a plastic mystery army on the 30k roadmap. Smart money has it as solar aux since they've been digitized and minimized for Legions Imperialis. The couple of rumors floating around say it'll just be more tanks and the infantry will stay resin. Hopefully that bit's not true, but we'll see.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Or the guy that used roadkill for basing material.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Please either 3d print or purchase plastic equivalents of animal skulls, bones, etc. This is a warning from 40k Threads Past.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Haha, the 40k exemplary battles have been so low effort compared to the 30k ones.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

They are however coming back with TOW, I know the knights on foot is getting a new kit, but no idea about the mounted ones. Outside of the characters they've shown.

Mounted knights are not getting a new kit. However the foot knights have been designed so that their parts are compatible with their mounted buddies.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

What's the difference between deathwing knights and deathwing terminators?
Deathwing terminators are your standard terminators just with Dark Angels flavor added in. They can mix melee and shooting weapons freely within the unit and can take plasma cannons as a heavy weapon option. Nothing too crazy.

The knights are the elite within the elite. They're fully in on the crazy deathwing poo poo and a lot of them go on to be officers within the chapter. They used to use Maces of Absolution and storm shields, but they've now added swords to the mix. The maces have had a few iterations over the years and right now they're S6 AP-1 D3 with 4 attacks apiece. And they hit on a 2+. The sergeant in the old kit got a flail instead, curious to see if it hangs around. The unit also has -1 to incoming damage and gets a little Watcher in the Dark to protect them from mortal wounds once per game. Think of them like super assault terminators and you're probably not far off.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

also it's another release that is not a troops unit with chainswords despite melee being the gimmick of like half the legions in 30K. i am gonna keep complaining about this because they had a unit like that and they loving discontinued it.
Assault marines are scoring troops in 30k and come in units of 10-20. Any legion can run up to 120 of the idiots if they really want to.

If you're talking about despoilers they definitely still exist as an option. Unfortunately, right now they're sold as a set of expensive resin arms. They're compatible with both the mkVI and mkIII kits thanks to the little spare vambraces that come with the mkIII. Though we are getting a plastic melee weapon sprue in Spring 2024 according to the 30k roadmap. With how well the special and heavy weapon sets turned out I'm pretty excited to get that thing. I've been holding off on despoilers as a result.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I'm p sure 30k only exists because they think there are lots of people mad about primaris and wanted to have an old school short marines game for them, so the pose choices probably reflect that mentality.
30k's been an official game since like 2012. It predates the primaris range by a lot. It still exists because it's popular; it got a big boost back in 7th edition with two plastic box sets that really helped get more people into the game. The big plastic push starting with the launch of 2.0 has been great too. There is definitely a grog element to it though, I'm not going to deny that. I'm one of them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The LI designers would have had to digitize almost all of the solar auxilia range. It was basically done by one guy back before FW really embraced digital sculpting. The tiny infantry also doesn't line up that much with the 28mm guys with the loss of detail. Even their basic infantry are surprisingly detailed with tons of bolts, rivets, etc. holding their armor together. They even have flanges. :swoon:

There are rumors going around that they'll get a 28mm plastic release. There's a mystery army floating around on the 30k roadmap for this Winter. It's supposed to be vehicles only though with the infantry staying resin. I hope that bit's wrong, but plastic dracosans and malcadors would still go a long way. I have an infantry force meant for Zone Mortalis that I could expand to a full-fledged army. All I'm really missing is armor.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

If someone pushed a box of the LI pre-Guard tanks in my hands I wouldn't say no to painting them, but otherwise I'm still miffed that both the Valkyries and Vultures are gone for the considerable time being.

I genuinely don't know why things like valkyries and chimeras aren't in 30k. I've tried to look up their lore to see if they were simply discovered later or what. I haven't really found anything. They're even in a number of the BL books! Valkyries and vultures would open up some really cool options for militia forces even if solar auxilia aren't allowed them. Same with chimeras. The militia list instead uses trucks as transports which is really fitting, but maybe their smaller/slightly more elite units like grenadiers might prefer something a little more professional.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He smashed all that equipment before he hosed off into the void. Something like that, anyways.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, do they not print points in the codexes anymore? Not even the simple lists that they had in the backs of the 9th edition books?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As has been said, just get the 30k kit and stick spikes on it if that's your legion's/warband's thing. Or leave it clean and (relatively) well maintained. It comes with a lot of the usual CSM options too. A havoc launcher and combi-weapons are included on the 30k vehicle upgrade sprue along with a lot of other stuff like a crew member in mkII armor or a drat multi-melta.

I will say that it is overall a pretty good kit, but it has one big flaw. The tabs on the floor that go into the sides are too thick. You need to shave them to get them to fit right and for the floor to be flush. I've built a few of the new rhino chassis and every one has had this issue. I know it's weird, but it seems to be a consistent problem from talking with other people. Just something to be aware of.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

3 Action Economist posted:

Dark Angels:
Asmodai can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans
Azrael can now lead Company Heroes
Ezekiel can now lead Assault Intercessors, Company Heroes, or Sternguard Veterans

Dark Angels shouldn't have bladeguard, sternguard, or vanguard vets.

I will fight about this.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Space marines play like space marines...

...in 30k :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're dead. As the Emperor intended.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

poop chute posted:

Does anyone know where I could get wet transfers for Salamanders? I don't want to order a bunch of primaris upgrade kits and I'd like to spruce up my little guys.
You could try the 30k transfer sheet.
https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/salamanders-legion-transfer-sheet-2022

I know it might seem like a lot for transfers, but a single sheet will go a long way. There are hundreds of symbols on there, including some larger ones for vehicles or banners. I know I've put the dark angels sheet to good use with my 30k army. Definitely recommended.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
30k Emperor's Children are very much power armored eldar. They live for the charge. They even have a unique one use reaction to let them counter charge. If they're not charging they're dying. To run them well you need to watch your positioning and invest in transports, jump packs, etc. to make sure you can control the engagement more than your opponent. They have a rite of war (optional army construction rules that change up how an army plays) that is purpose built to let you outflank pretty much anything you want when you want. Or you can go all in on proto-noise marines and surgical augments. And that's without getting into their new rules for when they're fully corrupted. That stuff hinges on running demon Fulgrim too much for it to be really viable.

Their unique units are phoenix terminators, palatine blades, kakophoni, and the sunkillers. Phoenix terminators are in tartaros armor with unique EC power spears, funky weapon master abilities, and an inspiring aura. Palatine blades start with dueling sabres and can upgrade to EC rapiers or the same spears as the terminators. They have the same weapon master ability as the terminators so there's a bit of overlap there. However, there's a variant with jump packs and they're the perfect companions for a character like Eidolon. Kakophoni are proto-noise marines with the expected sonic weaponry. They're a powerful anti-infantry unit and are even fearless (immune to morale and pinning) which is very rare in 30k. Finally, sunkillers are a unit added in the exemplary battles series of pdfs and they're essentially the ultimate lascannon specialists. They hit on a 2+, can ignore cover, and if you're insane you can run 20 of them in a single squad (800 points). They can also designate a super heavy target at the start of the game and gain bonuses against it. They're wannabe titan killers and are a 0-1 choice so you can't just load up on three units of them.

I'm not saying that a 40k refresh should be a carbon copy of this stuff. I'm pretty sure the palatine blades don't survive the heresy, for example, but there's still the perfect warrior angle to pursue there. I'd personally love to see some hosed up bikers following in Doomrider's footsteps.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nazzadan posted:

Just looked it up, the White Scars cut his head off and it's still alive and they're keeping it with them on Chogoris

Free him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think World Eaters and Emperor's Children should get terminators because terminators are cool. Why mess with the classics, you know?

Eightbound are ugly. Exalted eightbound are outright hideous. And why are they even two units? One just seems to do everything better for only a few more points.