Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I kinda underestimated how expensive Tyranids are. Like sure you want Deathleaper and 2-3 Neurolictors cause they're so good right now but you're already $150 in the hole for 200 points. I mean that's not counting the $50 Biovore/Pyrovore kit which makes either a 75 point or 30 point unit.

It's not even a New Model Kit Is More Expensive thing either. Eightbound/Exalted Eightbound is $60 for 135-150 points and a $65 for a box of Berzerkers gets you 200 points of dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

gently caress me, the 2e noise marines are $30+ a piece on ebay. I was going to buy the three models and then make some thermoplastic casts for bits to use, but I'm not spending $100 on 3 models.

GW sells the metal bits from the 3e noise marine kit as two separate finecast kits for $15 per fwiw

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

GW sells the metal bits from the 3e noise marine kit as two separate finecast kits for $15 per fwiw
Nah, that's the 3rd edition kit. It was hybridized with the plastic CSM kit. The 2nd edition ones would've been full metal casts.

I recently grabbed one of the old 2nd edition deathwing terminators to fill out a squad and that little dude was like $35-$40. Still had the old price tag on the clamshell. I should've stockpiled pewter when I was a kid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, that's the 3rd edition kit. It was hybridized with the plastic CSM kit. The 2nd edition ones would've been full metal casts.

I recently grabbed one of the old 2nd edition deathwing terminators to fill out a squad and that little dude was like $35-$40. Still had the old price tag on the clamshell. I should've stockpiled pewter when I was a kid.

My first own-money (via allowance :v:) GW purchase was a box of LotR minis, 20 bucks for 24 infantry and archers. Add a pewter hero or just paint one guy’s hat or caps fancy for a generic captain, and that was a good size starter game. Some cav or some metal elites, maybe a named hero for another 20-30 bucks and you’re well on your way to considering a second army.

so expensive I thought.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 7, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, that's the 3rd edition kit.

I know, I was suggesting it as an alternative

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Demilich posted:

Holy gently caress how on earth did you acquire so many?

Some people are not messing around about collecting skulls for the throne.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

I know, I was suggesting it as an alternative
My mistake. I misread and thought you said 2e, not 3e.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Crab Dad posted:

The sets that came out during 3rd-7th came out will at least two heads per marine body including guys in vehicles. I got a big ol pile too.

For additional context, that helmet and armour (mk 7) was conceived for the marines in the 2nd ed box or a bit earlier and was essentially the "default" marine design from then until the Primaris arrive in 8th. 3rd ed launched with what I think is the first marine kit with separate heads, as noted mostly mk 7 with mk 6 ("beaky") being a distant second. Kit also had a Mk 8 torso but it is the Mk 7 helmet. I think they did a Microsoft and skipped a mk 9. So any marine kit since 3rd pretty much always generated spare mk 7 heads.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Played my first RTT today and I'm hooked. Hadn't done many 2,000 point games before, it's soooo much better balanced there than at 1k (or with Crusade insanity sprinkled on top). Also what a great group, everyone was so friendly and hype to be playing 40k.

Memorable ending: 10 Grey Knights terminators blink away with Sigil of Exigence to avoid Forgfiend fire, reposition near opponent's home objective. They respond by deep striking Abaddon + 5 terminators, who get their 9" charge and massacre 7/10 GK terminators. My whole army repositions to clap back and send Abaddon right back to the warp, then we trade that home objective twice more before the game ends.

This game fuckin' rules

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I am trying to introduce Warhammer to my group of non war gaming friends. After buying some boxes of Combat Patrols and getting them assembled and primed. I am starting to think that OnePageRules Grimdark future is a better system and might be a better fit. I just can't find anyone who is into war gaming to play it with. My hope is my non war gaming will be in to it. I'm basically creating my own opponents.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

x-post from painting thread, threw together a chonkier raptor using legionary parts and 3d printed bits and I'm happy with it

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I may be moving back to the USA next year and I am just starting to look at jobs. What areas have a good active 40k scene with lots of tournaments?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

3rd ed launched with what I think is the first marine kit with separate heads, as noted mostly mk 7 with mk 6 ("beaky") being a distant second.

RTB01, the original beakie marine box, had separate heads, and the 3e marines were explicitly designed as a throwback to it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lady Militant posted:

I think I might be stuck buying only off ebay or other places to get cheaper models. I forgot how expensive Imperial guard as a faction is to army build, I went to the store yesterday and 1 squad of cadian shock troops and Ursala creed cost me 100 dollars! and that's not that many points! Even the combat patrol box for guard doesn't add up to that many points and that's supposed to be the most efficient way to get more infantry for the IG. And this may be a hot take but I highkey kind of hate how the rogal dorn tank looks. Id rather pay for two leman russes than pay 100 dollars for....that.

I think the Dorn is one of the ugliest vehicles in the game and aesthetically sticks out like a sore thumb in Guard armies next to the more WW1/early WW2 aesthetics of the other tanks and artillery pieces. Looks like something from the Korean War era. I hate it.

I also hate the new tacticool aesthetic of Space Marine vehicles. Especially the Great Value Warthog.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 8, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the Leman Russ is hideous and not in a throwback way, it's hideous like the 3e dark eldar or current catachans are in a "'could keep the aesthetic without looking like that" way. The beautiful forgeworld combat photo style doesn't make me think cool tank, it makes me think "that will tip over if it moves"

boom found a craptank with room and a half for sponons or counts-as sponsons all-in-one that doesn't roll over as soon as it moves

and most importantly, char b1 bis is sexy, russ is not

size not 40k enough? ohohohohon mon space ami

in conclusion, all the guard tanks look like dogshit if i'm being honest, cancel them and start over

or for even more 40k style there was the T35

five, get this, five turrets, irl, and could drive

this isn't a cool ww1 aesthetic, it's a piece of crap defined by 90s plastic molds that needs to meet its friends the catachans in someone's dumpster (partially canonized because someone put the treads on backwards on no one corrected them)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 8, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I put Thief of Secrets on a Techmarine, pushed a nearly-dead repulsor too far forward so he would die and make the techmarine go super saiyan (7 attacks!) and then rolled hot and basically killed a Chaos Knights Karnivore (and now adding TWO to strength AP and damage because of the Thief of Secrets) and then a Tyrant with it.

There was some thunder hammer and redemptor help for the tyrant but still, the super tech marine did most of it. I’m proud of my stupid plan working.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think the Leman Russ is hideous and not in a throwback way, it's hideous like the 3e dark eldar or current catachans are in a "'could keep the aesthetic without looking like that" way. The beautiful forgeworld combat photo style doesn't make me think cool tank, it makes me think "that will tip over if it moves"

boom found a craptank with room and a half for sponons or counts-as sponsons all-in-one that doesn't roll over as soon as it moves

and most importantly, char b1 bis is sexy, russ is not

size not 40k enough? ohohohohon mon space ami

in conclusion, all the guard tanks look like dogshit if i'm being honest, cancel them and start over

or for even more 40k style there was the T35

five, get this, five turrets, irl, and could drive

this isn't a cool ww1 aesthetic, it's a piece of crap defined by 90s plastic molds that needs to meet its friends the catachans in someone's dumpster (partially canonized because someone put the treads on backwards on no one corrected them)

The Russ is basically a male British MK IV, which did not tip over when it moved.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Devorum posted:

The Russ is basically a male British MK IV, which did not tip over when it moved.

except for the part where it has an enormous turret, and not far enough track on its rear end.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

except for the part where it has an enormous turret, and not far enough track on its rear end.

The Russ clearly has Future Counterweights in the back.

Also, I think that's a variant MK IV, not the standard. Extended tadpole tail.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Raged posted:

I may be moving back to the USA next year and I am just starting to look at jobs. What areas have a good active 40k scene with lots of tournaments?

DC area seems really active. You could probably check Best Coast Pairings event schedules to get a good first pass.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BizarroAzrael posted:

For additional context, that helmet and armour (mk 7) was conceived for the marines in the 2nd ed box or a bit earlier and was essentially the "default" marine design from then until the Primaris arrive in 8th. 3rd ed launched with what I think is the first marine kit with separate heads, as noted mostly mk 7 with mk 6 ("beaky") being a distant second. Kit also had a Mk 8 torso but it is the Mk 7 helmet. I think they did a Microsoft and skipped a mk 9. So any marine kit since 3rd pretty much always generated spare mk 7 heads.

I bet in 5 to 10 years there'll be a Mk 9 power armour armour wave as either a firstborn nostalgia throwback or as a way to primaris up the remaining firstborn units.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 8, 2023

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Played in my first tournament yesterday, 24 person RTT. Was playing Orks and got absolutely demolished the first two rounds, probably would've taken the third if I hadn't unga bunga'd my boyz and nobz off of objectives to pick stupid fights. Going second hurts, surviving 2 rounds of shooting before my WAAGH charge is difficult. Played against gladius marines w/ triple redemptor and the nasty aggressor+apothecary brick in 1st round, then GSC w/ lots of demolition charges and shenanigans second, and finally invasion fleet tyranids in the third. All were really good players and that was easily the best learning experience since I started playing. Going to be play in a 70 man GT next weekend, can't imagine my back, feet, and knees will be feeling too good after that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Devorum posted:

I think the Dorn is one of the ugliest vehicles in the game and aesthetically sticks out like a sore thumb in Guard armies next to the more WW1/early WW2 aesthetics of the other tanks and artillery pieces. Looks like something from the Korean War era. I hate it.

I also hate the new tacticool aesthetic of Space Marine vehicles. Especially the Great Value Warthog.

Ok

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah I like the new stuff.

The idea that you rabidly hate any and all change even if it's objectively better so you keep with the old even to your detriment is something 40K makes fun of, it's not supposed to be a life suggestion.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the ATV is like the Primaris unit I definitely can't appreciate.
That one and the turret.

Meanwhile I think most people have just memory holed the not-Starcraft bunker.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
mfw i'm accidentally exposed to the opinions of ww2 nerds

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Girlfriend bought a box of celestian sacresants to paint up, and I got to try my hand at one of them. It's fun to paint something that isn't a space marine, but I'm kind of disappointed in the sculpt. The seams on the legs and shoulders leave huge gaps in the model and they just don't seem very well put together compared to primaris

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Yeah I like the new stuff.

The idea that you rabidly hate any and all change even if it's objectively better so you keep with the old even to your detriment is something 40K makes fun of, it's not supposed to be a life suggestion.

I like the vast majority of changes. I just really don't like the Dorn, ATV, and Desolators. Used to be down on Inceptors, but then I built some and they're alright.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
The Dorn is the best aesthetic thing to happen to Guard, ever; I only wish it had been a bit smaller and intended as a replacement kit for the hideous Russ.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That new armored sentinel though. Ugh.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

That new armored sentinel though. Ugh.

I'd like it more if the legs were more like the old kit. I might pick up one or two of the old ones if I spot them in a store

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I kind of dig the new armoured sentinel, but they are obviously not going to suit being a scout sentinel

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

this turned up in my feed and it just made me sad all over again about the World Eaters release :smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Devorum posted:

I like the vast majority of changes. I just really don't like the Dorn, ATV, and Desolators. Used to be down on Inceptors, but then I built some and they're alright.

Can't really argue on the desolators. I think the rest are at least OK.

The hammerfall bunker was really cool, just just never gave it deep strike which is what it needed to be rules cool as well as looks cool.

The turret would be fine for say, the Guard, it's just a weird thing to give to space marines.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Technically the Guard has the FREEDOM Eagle Dong gun, so the marines can keep the Hammerfall bunker turret.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/08/sunday-preview-new-releases-abound-from-the-age-of-darkness

Reminder that Warhammer day Preview Stream is next weekend.

Outside of a whole bunch of 30k Marine, the Warhammer Day event miniature goes up for pre-order.

quote:

This commemorative miniature is available to order until 8am GMT on Monday the 6th of November 2023 and everyone ordering within this window will be guaranteed to receive a copy. We will ship them out within 180 days of the ordering window closing.

But really cool thing is that they're going to offer the Original Rogue Trader rules as Print on Demand.

quote:

Previously only available to purchase at Warhammer World, this 288-page Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader book will be available on a Print on Demand basis until 8am BST on Monday the 23rd of October 2023 and will ship within 180 days of the ordering window closing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a copy of the Rogue Trader book I got at a NOVA or something a while back. The book is awesome, but holy poo poo are the rules incomprehensible. I have no idea how anyone played it.

I also have the reprinted Khorne/Slaanesh Realm of Chaos book. I still need the Nurgle/Tzeentch one. I haven't been able to snag it an event yet. Maybe they'll both follow as print-on-demand eventually.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Safety Factor posted:

I have a copy of the Rogue Trader book I got at a NOVA or something a while back. The book is awesome, but holy poo poo are the rules incomprehensible. I have no idea how anyone played it.

I also have the reprinted Khorne/Slaanesh Realm of Chaos book. I still need the Nurgle/Tzeentch one. I haven't been able to snag it an event yet. Maybe they'll both follow as print-on-demand eventually.

91-92 we had a lot more time to study it because high school was lame.
We cuddled our way through small fights. Compared to Rifts it wasn’t that bad.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

maybe a bit charitable to Rogue Trader's faults given the low bar to clear is set, for a Rifts comparison, at around the level of avoiding referring to reference tables that do not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Safety Factor posted:

The book is awesome, but holy poo poo are the rules incomprehensible. I have no idea how anyone played it.

Mostly incorrectly, as I recall.