Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I've always assumed that like most all things logistical, the Codex very much is simply the 'paper' strength of companies and chapters, and because everything is named by 'strike force' or all the squads are named after their sergeant, everything is secretly a hodgepodge that a poor scribe has added to the records and no one is checking.

By last count, the third squad of 4th company of the ultramarines has been marked as completely destroyed with all members KIA no less than 4 times in 3 different battle zones on alternate sides of the galaxy, and comprises the elements in 5 strike forces. It is led by 5 Brother-sergeants, each with a fireteam or combat squad named after them, totals 34 unique marine members, and has 2 landspeeders, 2 razorbacks, and a rhino, with a unit of Primaris Heavy Intercessors and a Dreadnought seconded as support. A Brother-Sergeant Romanus has pointed out that the tactical situation in his mission area involves contact with heavy infantry and has put in a requisition form for a Primaris helblaster squad to be seconded to his command.

One of the razorbacks was gifted to the Blood Ravens 300 years ago and is currently in the other half of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah it's all just fun fan speculation. Personally I like the idea because it's a very hypocritical but realistic thing for the Imperium to do, and also means that turning to chaos isn't a genetic trait that the traitor legions couldn't escape. They dammned themselves.

Also the Sons of the Phoenix are extremely funny if they are actually built from Emperor's Children DNA, it's Cawl just daring someone to say something

It also makes a lot of sense at basically all levels, what with 30K and the entire Horus heresy being a huge confusing time that means that things like Traitor Loyalists are by nature going to slip through the cracks. I personally like it because it makes Guilliman at least a little bit more of a canny politician who figured out how to reintegrate Loyalists from traitor legions into the wider Imperium framework and further characterises basically everyone based on how they reacted to his Codex Plans.

But a lot of that is kind of messy and human and not really what GW wants to stock, I think they're very happy letting the whole thing exist within the fanbase as a 'well we're not saying you can't, but also it's not canon' to drive engagement while they put up the Primaris Hover-Maximus kit, that replaces the centurion and also somehow decides to shoulder mount the heavy weapons so it looks like a top-heavy mess.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Honestly, I think the greatest problem and reason that Stilt guy looks super doofy is just that he has to fit on an infantry base, it really constrains how much you can do with the leg assembly. Like... you can't make the actual actuators where it would move bigger because then it would look top-heavy, but you can't do anything with the ankle bits because they still have to fit on the base. Can't really add another leg to make a tripod... weird design choice frankly.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Testikles posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever grain used is some nutritonally complete Monsanto-like freak that practically grows in the dark.

The Boyar system, comprised of multiple agri worlds (the 1st and 3rd, Boyar A and Boyar C) and the 4th being a forge world, is considered an absolute vital strategic asset for the Astra militarum, and has been the site of no less than 6 incursions by multiple factions, both heretic and xenos. Many speculate as to why, bit the most prevalent theory is data outlining the location of a relic known as The Meal of Hungry Men.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cease to Hope posted:

tapping on the sign again:

emperor's children as a stand-alone army have been a persistent rumor since the early 2000s, in third edition. they're an obvious direction for expansion, but the rumors are mainly just wishful thinking.

if i were wishlisting, it would be for TS and WE to get some more unique units that aren't just taken from some other warhammer chaos faction. TS have exactly one, and WE have three (and one of those is a weapon swap).

Having been reading back through certain parts of the Horus Heresy books it kind of strikes me how, even though they came before WE as a faction, they also kind of shot themselves pretty heavily in the foot with how they portrayed a lot of the Traitor Legions. Hindsight 20/20 and all that, I guess, but there's so many ways that WE could have gone that aren't really possible if the only canon you're working from is the books that just ended. Of course it can all be retconned, but interesting to see nonetheless.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 9, 2024

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cooked Auto posted:

Even grummz, known grifter and failure of game dev has thrown his coin into this and decrying it. Because he has nowhere else to go other than going all in on the culture war bullshit.

He already had nowhere to go, for like the past two weeks he's been the gamedev 'face' of 'gamergate 2.0'.

And he tried to declare lara croft as a victim of woke over the latest product, except because he's an idiot he missed that it was a tomb raider board game, at which point doubling down was the only recourse.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Al-Saqr posted:

The fact that their codexes arent in the app so they can be updated live is so insane lol

How else are we going to get people to spend money buying a book? By making art and stories of our beloved IP? Sounds like one of those indie wargames, not like us. No, the rules will exist in the printed codex except for when we need to change them due to unforeseen issues and points, which we will instead distribute somewhere else.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Lostconfused posted:

Well the book does a lot of tell not show, but also makes the "astartes" act like normal people.

So you have the narrator and the characters talk about how amazing these god like supermen are, but the godlike super men are bumbling around and tripping over their egos like any other idiot. So they end up being real but somewhat unlikable characters.

A fair criticism, but also that is one of the central premises of the entire series, honestly. If it's a stumbling block here you may find the whole series a harder read.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Theyr also dumber and more poorly taught than most humans and grow up in an abusive all male environment. So theyr actually worse than normal humans at emotional regulation and social situations.

The early HH books seemed to be a lot more willing to paint the emperor as bad, I'm getting thru the end and the death and it seems like one giant book of excuses for the emperor. They kinda turn him into Rick of Morty fame where he may seem like an insane megalomaniacal rear end in a top hat but actually he's got anxiety and he just isn't good with people etc

It might be because all the chaos POVs are gone by this point so it's all imperial guys massaging his ego and explaining how this isn't what he intended but also isn't his fault.
The closest you get is his best friends telling him while they don't agree, he's better than xyz but they'll still fight to the death for his dream.

The more I think about it the less I like it, considering he's a genocidal superhitler in the "good days" and his empire only gets worse from there. Making him not a villain really stinks for the setting.

Make him the evil guy with am ambitious plan who you love to hate, not that he meant well he just didnt listen to enough friends on the way

A lot of the early Horus Heresy was kind of skirting around a lot of things but reading between the lines it was obvious to me at least that the Imperium of 41M is not dissimilar to the Imperium that would haver existed if the Emperor survived, and I was basically all in on 'The Emperor is a Great Man Fallacy fascist jerkoff who believes his own hype', but as the books wore on it started to become increasingly obvious that it was working towards the current general line where the Imperium is bad-ish and Guilliman is a set-upon son who is unhappy with the flaws of the current Imperium and Working To Fix Them as Great Man 2.0.

Ultimately my personal bugbear with the whole thing is how quickly the Traitors start to descend into the versions they are now, and how I feel that actually kind of handicaps things like the World Eaters for the purposes of helping give them hooks you can work around expanding the model range with. You can always retcon, but the Horus Heresy was and is so big that the details end up making big events things you have to work around rather than potential things that can be picked or ignored. There will always be a Night of the Wolf, even if I think the whole thing is stupid in a way that is narratively unsatisfying and makes no one look good.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Padical posted:

Is there a short list of these books you can read to get the gist of it and hit the good ones? Like 5-10 killers in the series, or would I be too lost jumping around like that?

There's various reading lists, in general I think people just follow one of the Primarchs or Legions or viewpoint characters if they're not doing the whole thing. In general you start with the first... 3-5 books and then everything diverges in a way that lets you discard a huge number of the books as dealing with things that you don't care about and don't really matter.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shockeh posted:

Sorry but Angron is the dumbest oval office that ever lived in the 40k universe.

Gets enslaved.
Gets abused.
Perpetuates abuse.
Re-enslaves himself willingly.

Khorne never asks Angron to do anything he doesn't do willingly, he's the best boss Angron's ever had.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shockeh posted:

The issue there is you still have to ask yourself 'Why do these group of seasoned Ubermensch, one of whom is a literal Demigod whose key traits are being extremely perceptive, astute and charismatic, start listening to this guy at all?'

Because the person making the arguments is also a seasoned Ubermensch who managed to rise through the ranks of the inner circle of his particular legion, mostly by political manipulation, and everyone involved is a fascist and therefore has built in manipulation levers. Erebus may be a character that suffers from 'dumb writer writes smart persuasive bastard', but he is, by this point in the story, on the same level as the Mournival or Sigismund, he does have to be listened to as a representative of his Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Lostconfused posted:

So is custdoes the only practical elite infantry army in the game? Otherwise you need to bring a lot of tanks or monsters if you want to keep the model count down? Or the alternative to having to use movement trays is giving everything a dedicated transport, which goes back to bringing more tanks.

Knights don't count, they're not a real army because it seems like they get a lot of complaints, kind of like custdoes I guess.

The new ork Codex has a detachment that is built around Nobz and above troops, even if Orks aren't really an 'elite heavy infantry' faction. To a certain extent I think with Detachments GW may start to benefit from (and may be working their way around to) factions not really being quite so defined as 'the elite infantry faction' or things like that. But time will tell, you kind of need a lot of model variety to do that and various lines have issues on that front.