Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

More people should be using libraries if they are options imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They look great! Very creepy, they remind me of the cover of the first Necron codex

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does anyone have a spare metal Big Choppa for the old Ork Warbosses I could toss a few bucks for?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yep! I just picked up the “horns and Squig” version, but need don’t like the Squig and want to replace it with the big choppa.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wish they would get rid of the xenophobic bent they gave the Tau because a united collection of xenos would be really cool. I know they have a few options, but they should just embrace it and offer a wider variety imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Deleter posted:

Me, rubbing my hands with the intention of posting all of my opinions yet again before I am dragged away by the GW police: "They should delete half the armies in the game."

Everything with the Tau in the lore feels like an overcorrection due to their bad reception when they came out. We coulda had psychic polar bears, human auxilleries, all sorts of models, and we just get more and more battlesuits instead.

Yeah, I really want a Star Trek Federation faction with blue people as the main characters and the humans some sun faction of their army

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ashcans posted:

They barely gave the alien federation idea a chance, we only got Kroot (which seem relatively popular) and single unit of vespid. Hardly testing the waters. I think they just didn't really know what to do with that branch and were happy to lop it off.

Tau shouldn't be understood as a Star Trek Federation because they're certainly not as enlightened and humanist, but it would be kind of cool if they were the alliance of various aliens trying to survive the Imperium and banding together to make their stand. Lots of roles that are 'another battlesuit' could have been filled by cool aliens.

Yeah, maybe a Federation wasn’t the best, but I agree that a collective of aliens would be really cool. Big alien ape-elephants carrying big cannons, melee oriented insects, stuff like that

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

The Covenant was right there you know.

Never played Halo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember that I bought some Italian metal Fishmen that are reproductions of some weird aliens from the RT days. For some reason I really wanted them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maybe we should email GW

Edit: about aliens

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I looked those ones up and they look really cool- they would be great in an alien army- but the ones I have are basically recasts of the old RT ones. I should really pull them out and paint them as a palette cleanser sometime.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When they first came out weren’t they the Tau’s answer for close combat? Cheap and devastating if you let them close in

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

New Scouts look great (as does everything posted so far), hopefully they will put them back into Troops someday if they’re giving them new models

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh god even the fantastically painted Fulgrim model they have on their website has a bent spear

What an amazing model though

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Phobos are super ugly imo, Scout aesthetic rocks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:eyeroll:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve been pretty cool on the last few releases but found this one really great!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Metal Ork Meganobz question: are you supposed to remove the “tag” on the back of the jaws, or does that part fit into the armor below the neck ?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Intergravators

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really liked Duncan’s Tyranid scheme/s

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are they the ham fisted chunky ones?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can see why GW would be nervous about creating celebrities after Duncan became super popular, left, then created his own paint brand based on his reputation

Edit: I think it’s dumb, myself, and that adjacent model is cool as heck

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My favorite thing about SoB are the cool and weird special characters. They remind me of WHF and the peasants carrying the skeletal knights!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Crossposting from the minis painting thread (that people should check out if they don't already, there are some insanely talented goons posting there) since I just finished a small project I started in back in April, which was pretty much the first time I've touched a brush in more than a decade.
Bought a box of tactical marines, and instead of just going back to blue, I figured I wanted to try my hand at some of the scarier colours, and decided paint up one of each of the ten loyalist legions.

Group shot!

Everyone, in order of legion, obviously

Now that I've finished the tutorial, I guess I can finally start painting or something

I love the original IH upgrades!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

AI generated look

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do SoB play organ war songs?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reading more about how streamlined things are/ could be makes me sad. I have fond memories (maybe rose coloured glasses) of making unique squads with characters that had specific war gear.

I also am a freak that liked the 1000 ammunition options in FO:NV though so

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did an Ork Meganob for KT, inspired by old Eavy Metal stuff:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am super down for Scout/ Striking Scorpion/ Catachan and even Vespid Killteam releases. I really wish the Tau would go back to being the “all the other aliens” team.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

rain dogs posted:

That rocks. The way you did the space marine helmets is great

Thanks! I struggled with the helmets, to tge point that the white was completely finished with chipping and I had to redo it because I just didn’t like the look. It doesn’t make sense for it to be the cleanest of the three, being on bottom, but I prefer it that way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The best advice I got for faces wash from a previous 40K thread, which was make your paints so diluted that they’re slightly tinted water, then layer as much as you need. I slowly add lighter tones as I go, it creates the depth that real skin has imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Although after some point you do get tired of painting faces in various stages of doing the number 2, so you can have some helmets. As a treat.

I was able to somehow paint the Imperial Fist upgrade head so that he was smiling, I think

Professor Shark posted:

I completed a random guy this weekend using leftover bits and a pair of legs I 3d printed:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m going to seeing what the third parties come up with if I ever need them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Raged posted:

I hate to say it, but looking back on it one of my opponents at the tournament on the weekend was definitely cheating. He was playing Votann and I know nothing about them so I decided to read up on all of the units today so I can be better prepared next time I face the army.

Since I am very new to 40k I always let my opponent know I am new and let me know if I am playing wrong or messing up a rule. Here is what happened. Let me know if I am wrong about any of this.

1. His Sagituars all had the beam cannon equipped, which I now know has a 24-inch range. I remember measuring the range to them for my exocrine shots and it was 35 ish. He did not move them for most of the game and shot my exocrine. I asked their range and he said 36. I didn't question this.

2. Turn one he tried to bring his reserves into my deployment zone. I was really sure I was right and this was not allowed. However, I know I didn't know everything. As soon as I suggested we call a judge he pulled them off the board. He is a very experienced player from 5th on who told me he had "over 40" games in 10th. Re-reading the rules I see I was very right.

3. Also, his units were moving way faster than they should have been. His troops were moving way faster than 5 inches and they were not advancing.

I'm sure I missed more and this may or may not have changed the outcome. I'm just going to have to have my tablet on me during games so I can look up my opponent's units during games now.

Also, he came in the top 10 of our 60+ player event....

Lame. Sorry you had a bad experience, I know that kind of stuff can really take away from gaming.

When the Tau first came out I played against someone who took full advantage of the fact that we didn’t really know much about them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it’s too garish

Just kidding, it rocks and I can’t wait to see it painted. Please use leopard print!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

WIP for the Weirdboy I decided to make for fun:

The pipes didn’t quite get finished but it’s because I slipped with my knife and got cut deeply, so I decided it was good enough

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Looks really good anyway

Thanks- making Ork technology out of bitz is fun (aside from the bleeding)!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah those are dope as hell, I can’t wait to see them painted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Finished another Celestial Lion. This time it is a Primaris Chaplain.

Hell yeah