Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The problem with numbers is you'll never make them work because a space opera setting doesn't make sense on multiple levels, and any effort to make it make sense will end up with something that isn't a space opera.
One big thing for numbers for instance is the defenders advantage. Let's take a work with a ten billion population for a nice round number. The US has about 0.5% of it's population in the military so let's say this world has that as it's pdf. That's already 50 million active duty soldiers to respond when the Orks or whoever shows up. During WW2 the Soviet Union had something like 17% of it's population in the military, if our example planet can manage that as the war goes on that's 1.7 billion. And yeah, not all of these are going to be front line troops but when the giant green aliens come screaming everyone who can would grab a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The other issue with the Primaris is they get rolled out super fast across the thousandish chapters along with all the new equipment that replaced the super rare stuff they had all been using for ten thousand years. I guess you could at least write a story about some sisters of battle picking up a bunch of rhinos at a SM yard sale now that they don't need them

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
For balance reasons they should just let every faction take Imperial Agents in competitive play. It doesn't make any sense lore wise, but neither does Guilliman getting killed by Trajan in a random skirmish, so who cares.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Al-Saqr posted:

Is warhammer quest a super simple general audience board game?

No it's a group vs GM/automated game, two recent ones were Blackstone Fortress for 40k and Cursed City for AoS.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Scouts confuse me. I thought they were getting rid of them, are the old ones still going to legends? And are these Primaris scouts?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Well Cawl made thousands of Primaris Marines without them ever being scouts, just getting trained by simulations in tubes. I guess that was just a one time thing though.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.goonhammer.com/codex-tyranids-10th-edition-the-goonhammer-review/

Goonhammers Nid codex review is up for those curious.

Shadow in the Warp rules remains the same, to answer an earlier question.
There are a lot more datasheet changes in there then I expected, I assume these were finalized when the index came out so a lot of them like changing ripper unit sizes just seem very odd. Honestly almost seems like GW wanted to make sure you wouldn't stick with the index and skip buying the book.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Al-Saqr posted:

According to the review you can still field the index army as is and its in the upper half of power levels overall:-

You can use the index detachment, but since a bunch of datasheets changed the index/cards are out of date now for model rules.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Z the IVth posted:

Wasn't there a big hoo ha when it turned out that one of the big Magic artists had... interesting opinions and had to be cancelled?

That's happened a couple times including a full on Nazi and a sex pest so not sure which you are referring too. Sun think crediting artists is a good thing though.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
On wargear, my stance is if something is clearly the correct option then it should be the only option. Either consolidate stuff or give the weapon a niche.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

bird food bathtub posted:

I had in my head that Ork blood was green as a part of their "We're all sentient fungus" thing. For Nids I'm pretty sure it's been portrayed as different colors at different times, possibly based on hive fleet? (Kidding, it'd be 'Whatever the author wanted'.)
I think ork blood used to be green but they switched to red to make it work better painting wise.
I think the same thing happened with Tau who sometimes have blue blood, sometimes red.

Edit: Googled it and found confirmation in the 4th end note from a Warhammer Community Article. "It’s been red from the first ever account of the sacred ta’lissera blood bond. We tried different coloured blood for our alien races – Orks had green blood at one point – but it just didn’t look right on the miniatures, nor in the art." - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/28/farsight-the-author-speaks/

neaden fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 26, 2023

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's weird that both the 40k and AoS models aren't usable on their own in a game. I think they're both nice models but a shaper or something seems like it would have been nicer to have.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Super Waffle posted:

Just a little whiplash but yes unharmed. I'm wondering if he can claim the models as a loss for insurance purposes :v:

I was rear ended recently and they paid the replacement cost of some stuff in the car that was damaged, so they should pay for the models.
And if they're feeling whiplash make sure to go to a doctor to get that in paper, they should put aside some money for any potential medical costs related to the accident

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The key is that souls aren't in the warp, they are the warp. That's what the warp is. A soul in 40k isn't some special immortal part of you though, it is a temporary thing and without a biological life to sustain it best case scenario it will just kind of peacefully dissolve when you die.
But mostly yeah, you'll get eaten by a demon or something unless you're a psyker and your soul can last longer in which case an eternity of torment.
And indeed this sucks and Lorgar realizing this is how it works is the main thing that started his path towards the gods and kicking off the Horus Heresy.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Gav Thorpe has said NATO is one of the big inspirations for the Tau, and the war in Iraq was a clear influence. "We'll be greeted as liberators" and all that.

Edit: here's an interview where he's asked about it https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/b3pc01/qa_with_gav_thorpe/

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Skew lists aren't fun at low points, I don't think taking a couple of Armigers is any worse then taking a couple tanks necessarily, but the problem is that is all knights can do. If you aren't going to mostly be playing 2k points I would think knights are a bad choice for your army.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
My dream would be for Rogue Traders to be able to take some xenos like Kroot so I can go full mixed up weirdos, but GW probably won't want to support that.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Krieg leaks look fake, like someone saw all the printing leaks and decided to make up their own.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

AnEdgelord posted:

No the Sisters of Battle are literally based on the Fish Speakers from Dune.

Edit: not that you can't do both, Im just saying that the SoB are literally the fish speakers

I don't see the resemblance much. Fish speakers are married to men and act more as secret police. They don't wear any power armor analogue and aren't super religious, their boss is just god. Fish speakers also have weird bio truth stuff about only a woman army leading the o long term peace since men will want to start raping and conquering and create excuses for war.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Josh Reynolds and Peter Fehervari both also belong in any discussion of best BL authors.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Imperium explicitly considers democracy to be heresy, since it's teaching that leaders can change instead of just obeying your superiors. The Blood Ravens homeworld was destroyed for it for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Black Library periodically accepts open submissions, but they'll name a specific subject and length. The last one was early 2023 and a 100 word summary and 500 word sample of a short story on a successor chapter. I don't think they accept pitches, unless maybe you're an author they've worked with before.