Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a designer at GW who really likes mechs and pushed hard for that side to continue.
Who knows. v:v:v

Lets be real theres a ton of players who like mechs, theyre cool and i bet like 80% of tau players bought in because crisis suits are dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

FishFood posted:

I think the Riptide is fine, I guess, but I definitely preferred the Tau when they were characterized as not using any superheavies other than the Manta. They were fun as a very modern, smart faction dropped into the gonzo bizarro world of 40k and trying to deal with its absurdities with technology and good tactics. They were a nice contrast to the Imperium, and giving them giant logistically wasteful robots clashes a little bit with that characterization.

I loved this part about Tau, it was like you asked some US army officer after Desert Storm to design an army for 40k, with markerlights and net centric warfare being a defining feature rather than the Suits. The Taros Campaign was a really cool book.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The new biovores look so cool

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

This poo poo makes me so mad, why are you pinching pennies in an artistic medium. I don't give a single poo poo if these cad models are more optimized for your factory or cheaper, this poo poo wilp always be out of stock and too expensive anyway and I want to kit bash them.

you cant just mold anything out of plastic to high quality. as your parts become substantially different in size on the same sprue there is an increasing reduction in your ability to produce them to acceptable quality without warpage or flash. as your parts become more complex it becomes more difficult to produce some sculpts as one piece without the risk of warpage and sink marks.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kitchner posted:

The reality is as a company they have way too many SKUs for the production they can do. It's too easy for individual things to go out of stock and them not to have time to run a small batch to restock with peaks in demand because they are still relatively niche. They realise this which is why they are doing the range rotation thing and finally shipping a load of first born stuff into the sunset with legends.

I work for a company very similar in size to GW and their production issues are absolutely mindboggling to me. We offer way more SKUs than them, requiring much longer cycle times with peaky demands that can be hard to predict, and yet we are never out of stock for our customers. We do try to maintain high levels of inventory because thats what you have to do for the customer. I think GW is just bad at the production side of things.

We have our own molding floor and invested in an in-house mold shop which is the likely difference. And GW should really do the same -- you bring the profits inhouse and you short the mold lead times from a year to 2-3 months (time is money), plus can be much more responsive. Their sprues are smaller than ours so it can definitely be done.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think maybe scouts make more sense as like, space marine auxiliaries like the ultramar auxilia instead of as space marines in training

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Iron paws

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I love the blue on your new infernus marines, how did you do that

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

i did not take into account Combat Patrol The Game Mode because minmaxing that seems like optimizing the distance i can kick a puppy

Theres a lot of room to optimize kicking a puppy. I bet its harder to kick a puppy than a football and people get paid a lot of money for that.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
cant you use just use whatever chapters rules you want

paint ur marines 2 be cool and then use rules that r cool

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A real life tank company in the US of Russia already has more than ten tanks, just ten seems pretty tame by imperium standards

ten tanks (3 platoons of 3 and a company hq) is a realistic size for a soviet tank company in the cold war

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think 40k would be more fun if it was like warcry and you alternated activating units

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Eej posted:

I think the models are pretty straight forward as long as you like, can follow the instructions and use the right pieces in sequence. I feel like there's a lot of people who just cut out a bunch of parts and are like okay let's see if I can figure out this puzzle on my own.

yeah im a dumbass and i needed a lot of the 2part epoxy to make my models go togetger :(

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Eej posted:

Google/call around to see if any of your local hobby stores carry this stuff. You just press the appropriate plastic pieces together then dab the gap with extra thin and it will melt the pieces together. It makes building models incredibly easy (as long as they are plastic).

Will that fill in the gaps?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

rantmo posted:

I have never seen an LGS with this mythical discount, but then, Chicago really only has the one LGS.

All my LGS seem to have this discount for stuff they already have in stock, like $60 squads will be $50. But not for stuff they have to order for you

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Can't believe we're getting plastic Steel Legion before new Warp Spiders.
/s :v:

new plastic squats came before warp spiders

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
My first 40k mini

Need to touch up some overpaint and then hit it with the soft tone. I found assembly to be frustrating on these guys but painting was fun. Maybe will be easier if i get plastic cement for the next squad

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Athas posted:

Did you assemble a GW plastic mini with super glue?

Yes sir

I assembled 12 of them, and also assembled my hands together

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
my under cover secret police force nade of gigantic hulking super dudes, who are bigger than space marines

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Testikles posted:

They need to sit down and set the standard sizes and ratios. Everybody can't be the biggest or everybody is going to grow a few mm each release until all the main characters are Imperial knight size.

Short kings rise up!!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mr Teatime posted:

Good thing people in 40k apparently don’t build their hatches and passageways normal people sized or else all these big boys would be pretty owned. Like Blood master Grognark, terminator clad chaos warlord 8ft tall 6 ft wide Lookin pretty foolish when he boards a ship and doesn’t fit in a single hallway.

Naww they just squat down and duckwalk through the whole ship

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I got a broadside for christmas! Painted it over the past few nights

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I started assembling the stuff in steps because it makes it easier and faster some times i think. Dont need to worry about getting the tiny brush in there to paint the nooks and crannies without accidentally hitting anything if I just dont put on the arms, now I can slather the big brush across the whole torso

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The most dire of painting experiences is white if nobody told you that youre supposed to use a super-light grey instead

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I thought screaming skull made for super good bone. Great coverage and looked greay without much fuss

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I use vallejo model sky grey for the base white and it works really well i think

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The vallejo grey primer is too thin for brushing on, but the black primer is good. And the model color greys (not primer) are good too

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If it looks absolutely splotchy and awful and watery but i did get it everywhere, then I am primed ?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Curious as to what my warhammer friends are going to react harder to on our discord, the Mandrakes or the Kroot.

Meanwhile I wouldn't mind the Solar Auxilia box if it wasn't for that goofy rear end sentinel. But the Leman Russ in it's basic configurations is going to see a lot of use as a Command Tank, that's for sure.
Hell, I'd do it too just to paint a different one.

Man I actually love the sentinel. I want to get some of the solar auxilia for use as a kill team actually

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think if the kroot had rifles or a couple pieces of armor that clearly read as "Tau" it would go a long way towards unifying them with the rest of the faction

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If anybody plays toy armies with a spouse and hasn't clearly delineated whose armies are whose before you put the rings on, well, lol

explaining to my fiancee that we need a prenup to protect my stormsurges

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Testikles posted:

How do you all choose which colours to work with? I'm getting into the painting stage and it's overwhelming trying to decide between which shades go with what base and which paint highlights best. There's probably diminishing returns and you just need to pick a thing at some point but any rules of thumb would be good.

I started by buying a set that matched what I wanted and building out from there. I wanted a militaristic theme so I bought the Vallejo East German Armor set and it was perfect starting point. Vallejo also has a bunch of other themed sets

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Warhammer 40k the game is an excuse to put all my painted little plastic men on a table and take photos

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If any of your local stores runs an escalation league thats the best time, then you have a few months to build from your combat patrol to 2000

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

I'm not sure why so many people chose to paint their armies in dark colors, they look great in photos but I imagine you want to play some games with them too?

maybe some people just like dark colors ?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Impressive how games-workshop will keep using old molds until they crack or something.

Thats what pretty much all plastic production companies do. If it still pumps out parts and people keep buying, it would actually be insane to just replace the mold

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
its not just the fact that its steel-- molds are made of hardened steel and sometimes special other alloys which must be precision ground at certain surfaces to tenths of thousandths by highly paid machinists, and are expected to open and close hundreds of thousands or millions of times while contains tens of thousands psi pressure of molten plastic. many molds also have complex heated manifolds in the mold to deliver the plastic to the cavities. The design of the mold is usually done once again by highly paid designers who size those manifolds, the runner systems, place the cavities in a way that minimizes undercuts and equalizes pressures and temperatures. Each mold is practically a custom piece of equipment.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Painted my first vehicle --

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
A little bit of an annoying situation in my escalation league -- we are supposed to submit our list at the beginning of the phase, which is to be our list vs all opponents in that phase. Therefore you need to make a take all comers list, right? I message my list to the organizer and print out my list, stats for my opponent and rjn through a summary od what the units are/can do before the game.

Twice now, an opponent -- having seen my whole army and heard what everything can do, has said "oh i forgot to make a list" and then on the spot made their list thinking about what I have. I dont think forget on purpose but even so I think its just not cool