Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

rantmo posted:

Question for home players without massive dining room tables: how do you manage getting a properly sized board? My table can reach 60" with leaves but is only about 33" in the other direction which is a pretty significant loss depending on the board orientation. Neither of my friends who I play with have tables in the right size either but we've been trying to think of solutions for a topper (in my mind four 22x30" rectangles with something like mortise and tenons works perfectly but watching a shitload of This Old House only gives me ideas and no actual experience or knowledge of woodworking) and it only occurred to us last night to see if anyone else had solved this problem. Google doesn't really give me much to go off of but maybe Goon expertise has the answer.

I have a couple of 30"x44"x12mm MDF boards which are heavy and sturdy enough to not be easily jostled around mid-game, while also small enough to store by leaning against a wall or tuck behind a couch. Used to be one board per 1000pts, but 10th has - very sensibly - decided that 60x44 is 1k-2k so now it's one for combat patrol, 2 for normal games, 3 for big games. I considered drilling holes into the sides and sticking magnets in to make them really immobile, but it turned out to be unnecessary once I got them on the table, the weight keeps them in place.

They're dead simple to paint too, I just got some fine grit medium and spread it around, which has about the same grit as GW's texture paints, and then cover it with acrylic paint, shade it with a tin of that army painter dip stuff, and drybrush with more acrylic paint, then cover it with matte varnish because that AP shade is glossy as hell. I also hit the sides and underneath with black spraypaint so they look nicer when stored. If you're a crazy person like me you can also scatter a few thin slate chips onto the medium while it's drying, and then paint them as rocks, but make sure they don't stick up too much so you can still place flat terrain bases on it. It's a bit of work but IMO much more satisfying than the cardboard battle boards, and what is this hobby for if not a foolish exercise in diorama making?

I wouldn't recommend doing 30x22 boards though. You REALLY don't want a board to tip off the edge of the table and send all your minis crashing to the floor, and having a seam down the middle increases the danger zone there and, also, it'll look nicer if there's fewer seams on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

That dark eldar codex situation is good design on GWs part though, because the DE are really into causing pain and suffering

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Eej posted:

The other big drag for GW is that they operate over 400 retail stores including like 3 in New Zealand that they have to make sure they provide stock of models and paint for. Yeah it serves as advertising and brand outreach but do the kiwis really need that many stores? I dunno but they're still shipping Leviathan boxes around the world to Australia and then onto New Zealand anyways. Then the LGS get the leftovers.

Hey come on now, warhams are already like twice as expensive here as anywhere else, and it's not like we can just take a short train ride to a different country.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

I reckon they should've kept the army rules reference free, and make the codex code unlock the ability to build a list for that faction in battle forge.
Being able to browse other factions rules is not only really useful for researching your opponents, but also works to get people excited about factions they might not have bought into yet.
I really hope GW eventually moves towards codex books being like 5% rules for, eg, crusade, and leaving the rest to be the really interesting stuff that I want a book for, eg background information, scenario suggestions, terrain building ideas, and hobby advice.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

xtothez posted:

In case anyone plans to buy up a load of the new space marines on release...

So that is a Mario Marines battle force.

Jump Marines and a Mario Kart.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Can anyone think of a good use for the Psychophage? It feels like a pretty weaksauce unit but, i've painted one, so i'd like to make use of it.

It's 125pts which is the same as a Carnifex, seemingly a much better choice.
Ranged attack is a strong D6-shot flamer, Melee attack is D6+1 S6 AP-1 D2 which would be decent if not for the random attacks.
Anti-Psyker 4+ seems totally pointless because most psykers bar daemon princes and primarchs are at most T5, usually less.
Devastating wounds is nice but, again, the random attacks makes it really unreliable.

FNP5+ and 6" FNP6+ aura are also nice but, again, not really something that feels like it makes the unit terribly threatening.
Is it something that's just intended to camp objectives? It does have the Harvester keyword so, maybe it has some use as an ambulance? but then what's the anti-psyker about?

Overall it doesn't seem like it's worth the cost compared to, say, a carnifex, which are pretty big problems for the opponent. Am I missing something here?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

ro5s posted:

(anti-psyker meaning) every 4+ to would is critical and therefore devastating.

Ohhh now here it is, I'd totally overlooked this interaction, that makes it MUCH better yeah. Thanks for the insight!!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Six outriders are a solid problem for your opponent, especially led by a biker chaplain (which is a kickass model), they're tough enough that they'll take a decent amount of firepower to wipe out. They can be really effective at turning objective-holding infantry blobs into paste, and are fast enough to be able to outflank or reposition easily. 3 on their own isn't really enough to be a big threat tho, you gotta go big or go home.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

new Orikan mini is great but where is Trazyn? we've gotta have both of the frenemies

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Athas posted:

Post-dataslate, what is the best GW model for painting blue such that it looks vaguely like Sonic?

A space marine reiver, particularly for their little shoes that have the buckle on them.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Cease to Hope posted:

i still hate that GW doesn't credit sculptors any more

I recently read the issue of White Dwarf about the Leviathan release and was surprised to see they credited sculptors for the set along with which models they did

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

I've been using a Goff Rocker as a weirdboy ever since the model came out.

His name is Petork Steele, from the band Type Ork Negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

I feel like the dark eldar range is pretty solid at the moment, mostly just missing modern kits for a few notable things like grotesques, beasts, and asdrubael, all of which would fit a medium-sized mid edition codex update release. GW seem confident enough in the kabalite kit to have added a killteam upgrade sprue for it recently so it seems unlikely that they'd get replaced anytime soon.

Emperor's Children seem far more likely as a new edition Evil Antagonist, as they have zero plastics and are obviously getting a similar treatment to TS/DG/WE in the not too distant future. The only thing makes it unlikely is that they're maybe a bit too creepy to be the poster antagonists for an edition, but the AoS slaanesh redesigns have been pretty good on that front.
The launch box always has entirely new sculpts for both factions, and it's only maybe orks that need a proper update for their basic troops.