Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've been curious about the relative point values of the various Combat Patrol boxes (in part to try and figure out why Grey Knights have to choose between terminators or a Dreadknight) and I couldn't find a list of them anywhere, so here you go, first page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Question for home players without massive dining room tables: how do you manage getting a properly sized board? My table can reach 60" with leaves but is only about 33" in the other direction which is a pretty significant loss depending on the board orientation. Neither of my friends who I play with have tables in the right size either but we've been trying to think of solutions for a topper (in my mind four 22x30" rectangles with something like mortise and tenons works perfectly but watching a shitload of This Old House only gives me ideas and no actual experience or knowledge of woodworking) and it only occurred to us last night to see if anyone else had solved this problem. Google doesn't really give me much to go off of but maybe Goon expertise has the answer.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Tangy Zizzle posted:

two fold up 8'x4' tables work fine for me, also it's always good to have those tables on hand anyways.

Sadly, I live in a one bedroom condo and there's just no room to set something like that up. That's why I'm trying to come up with a clever table topper option.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Why dont you do what i did and go to game shops to play in, or use the floor, or find a friend who has more room.

Well we do have an excellent FLGS with tables in the basement but they're frequently spoken for in the evenings when we have time to play, though it is something I'd like to do, the Warhammer community there is really cool, based on the Discord server for it. As for a friend with more room, if any of us had that kind of room, we'd use it but poor theatre folk as we are, we're working with what we've got.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ro5s posted:

A friend of mine's got 3 boards that he can just put over a table to make a full sized 40k board, it's a lot easier to store than just 1 full sized piece too.

Yeah, I think that's the direction I'll have to go, I'll just have to find the right material, something with enough rigidity to not flex too much.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Back in my youth I used an MDF sheet cut into 3 pieces, I think it was 3/4" thick? Do you have access to a home Depot like store? Do you own power tools (although you could rent say a circular saw for a day) or have friends with tools?

These days I have a game table that's collapsible, which works quite nicely but it is flimsy and expensive. I paid $275 2 years ago and I just looked now and holy moly it's $375. There's probably similar quality cheaper tables out there I'd have to imagine but currently being lazy on my couch so maybe later I'll google around.

https://firmerterra.com/product/alpha-game-table-2022/

I saw that table earlier and it's pretty cool but also way more expensive than I want to spend. I don't have tools but that's what fathers-in-law are for, though now that I think of it I also have some scene designer friends who would also be easily bribed into some simple cutting and live much closer. Something like a 1/2" to 3/4" thick sheet is what I've been figuring on.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

US but that's another potentially useful avenue to search, so thanks!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It never would have occurred to me to actually paint the boards but that is such a loving great idea, I'm embarrassed that I never would have thought about it. As for the board sizes themselves, I'm trying to strike a balance between stability and ease of storage, which is why I was thinking three panels but that's definitely something to put a lot of thought into. Maybe three with dowels or the like just to prevent any individual one from going off like a rake into Sideshow Bob. I'll have to ponder that but this is a very promising direction.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you want to paint it, but don't want to flock it because that is a lot of effort, you can get spray wall texture at the hardware store, like orange peel wall texture and spray that first and then paint to give a bit of visual variation without a lot of effort.

That's another great loving idea, though I'll have to travel out of town for it (Chicago has a ban on selling spray paint for stupid reasons) but way simpler than mixing my own texture paint.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Muir posted:

You could put hinges attaching the sections so they’re connected but can still fold up.

I'd thought of that but I'd have to put them really close to the edge so it sits flat and I don't know what that would to it structurally.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Have any of you actually joined or read up on 'The Bunker' warhammer club thing white dwarf is doing? I wonder whats that like

I read the Bunker article and I'm not sure what the point is or how it works.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Other than Goonhammer, are there any websites that write stuff about 40k or is it pretty much all scattered throughout YouTube (and overwhelmed by battle reports of wildly varying quality)?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah, that's about what I'd figured.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Didn't Michigan Toy Soldier's owner turn out to be a creep?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I just learned that I've been playing Combat Patrol wrong in a small but really significant way: all Battleline units have sticky objectives in CP games. Now I understand how the Grey Knights patrol is supposed to actually achieve anything with such a small force.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

GW isn't hiding poo poo, an article about winrates at tourneys probably isn't their entire analysis of game balance.

Stu literally says as much in the video.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

poo poo, that would have saved be a few bucks last month on bits.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

When you Fire Overwatch, you get to use all available guns on a model like normal, right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Thanks all, that's what I figured I just wanted to make sure.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It just means that when I finally pull the trigger on buying into Blood Angels that a Baal Predator is going to be a much earlier purchase than it might otherwise have been.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Are any of the combat patrols reckoned to be much worse than the others? I know the AdMech box is much fewer points than some others, but did they address that with the special rules?

I don't know that there's much analysis of the various patrols but they definitely vary in power pretty widely and I don't think that any of them have extra rules to compensate. Closest I can think of is that the Space Marine patrol doesn't have any Battleline units so they have to spend a CP for sticky objectives but that feels more like insult to injury rather than compensation to me. Match ups really seem to make a huge difference too, I've only played Grey Knights into Tyranids and Space Marines and while I'm 0 for 3 those two match ups are wildly different; 'nids have a hard time killing GKs but have so much loving board presence it's almost impossible to out-scenario them and taking out all their numbers is really challenging. I'm getting closer and closer buying another Patrol box already (I should wait until I get my army at least basecoated but isn't that the very essence of wargaming) just to see how differently they play.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Devorum posted:

Most of the boxes were put together long before Combat Patrol was even conceived of as a separate game mode. They weren't designed to be balanced at all.

Yeah that's the bit that they're just not going to be able to overcome without releasing new boxes for every faction, which would be a pain in the rear end but also not the worst idea in the world.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I mean, many of the datasheets are modified but mostly by way of removing/simplifying but they can't go too too far with it or they lose the utility of mode being a useful introduction to full 40k.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Athas posted:

After a decade-long break, I'm trying to get back into 40k. I was never that deep into it in the first place, though. I have a few questions.

First, which rules do I need to start playing? In the old days, you bought the big central rule book, a codex, and then you built your army from a point budget. There seems to be more options now. I found some index cards for the various armies with unit stats and rules, but no point costs. What's going on here?

So the core rules are free and available here and the points are in the Munitorium Field Manual document. All the actual army rules and stats can be found in the various indexes which are all here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000-downloads/

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

Each faction has special rules and strategems to compensate for the differences in points the combat patrol boxes have.

One of the problems is that the stratagems and rules can't really fix the problems with some of the patrols, especially in terms of board presence. I'm not sure the missions are helping either but I'm also not sure how you could build a 40k mission at that scale that didn't exacerbate such fundamental problems.

Virtual Russian posted:

I have guard, which I think is the lowest points?

Second lowest at 385. Deathwatch is only worth 335.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Athas posted:

Thanks! I found a newer version of the Munitorium Field Manual. How often do they change? Are codices just dead?

I think the points are going to be quarterly and then the larger balancing is every six months but I also might be making that up. Codices are starting soon with Tyranids and Space Marines in "Autumn", rumored to be late next month for the bugs, if I remember right.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

At my game last night we had a bunch of questions about the rules for ruins, first and foremost we were unclear about how, exactly, visibility works with ruins. The rules say that models wholly in the terrain can see out normally and that models outside of ruins can see models wholly within, does that mean that you still need LOS from windows or what have you? I would assume so but the phrasing is ambiguous enough that I wasn't sure.

Since infantry can move through ruins as if the ruin was not there, does that mean that infantry can charge though ruins? It would seem like they can though the logistics are--and were--kind of a nightmare. Semi-related, can a model, infantry or otherwise that is b2b with the ruin wall attack a model that is also b2b with that wall? We debated it though it didn't actually come up.

Finally, the rules say that infantry models can be set on any level of a ruin, but does that cost any movement and does it cost any movement for them to drop levels?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Thanks all, looks like we did everything right other than fudging LOS and I think I measured dropping levels just a little bit wrong but that didn't have a major impact on the game.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Goonhammer have been rolling out new Get Started articles around one a day during the week, so a 10e one for Sisters should be along before too long. The articles are definitely focused on tournament players but it's still useful for casuals.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm of a mixed mind about it, the ease of list building is loving great but it's also rough when your list building leaves you with 20+ points that you just have to leave unspent. Some of that is just the state of being a Grey Knights player right now and having an incredibly limited bench but it still sucks.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

smug jeebus posted:

There's a mission deck to add a lot of depth to your games, but it's only in the Leviathan box right now.

They were available standalone but they were pulled because of some sort of misprinting. I bought the cards but I haven't gone looking for whatever the misprint is (something about the card backs, I guess?) and it hasn't jumped out at me.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I want them to announce that they've made more Land Raiders so I can buy one.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Look, as long as it's got some las-cannons and the Grey Knights can take it, then sure.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

the terminator chaplain and term ancient don't have a model atm.

A chaplain in terminator armor would make me very, very happy.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Those would be great for my Grey Knights and my bourgeoning Blood Angels collection.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's too bad that the Astartes don't have any sense of live performance, so we'll never get Primaris Impresarios.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Weird Pumpkin posted:

This and the goonhammer article I mentioned when I first posted about a week ago seems like a decent place to start: https://woehammer.com/2021/08/17/a-beginners-starter-army-for-sisters-of-battle/

It's worth noting that this article, as with Goonhammer, is for the previous edition and so probably not the best guidepost to be using right now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Athas posted:

Are there any 40k-related podcasts worth listening to?

I like Adeptus Ridiculous, which is lore focused.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I tentatively recommend this cause Bricky does a decent job summing up the lore,

but only if you can stomach memes, like a lot of memes.

Also I'm not a massive fan of DK's loud over-reacting/being uncomfortably thirsty at times.

Yeah, that's a fair read but it works for me because it doesn't feel like DK is doing a bit, it really feels like two friends being authentic (I don't know if that's true or not but it's how they read to me) and I have a much higher tolerance for things like that when they don't feel forced. It's the same thing with Tabletop Tactics for me, they can be loud and just a Lot but in a way that my friends can I can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Grey Knights have also had their points updated.