Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brainworms, the Owlcat game and disposable income have me finally looking at this Games Workshop Hobby :tm: and I am curious which combat patrol would be best for someone who played Cryx and Khador in Warmachine, and preferred Khador. Just on fluff alone I'm interested in the Mechanicus, and there sure do seem to be a variety of space marines. I don't think I have much of a local scene, though, so I'd probably be doing a lot more 'art project painting' than hitting the tables. Still, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

S.J. posted:

Gameplay wise, Drukhari are probably the closest to Cryx in terms of being fast, glass cannons. What aspect of Khador did you enjoy - just the general tankiness, or the hordes of infantry? Armor heavy Astra Militarum can definitely give you that heavy armor, and the faction in general can easily do the infantry swarm soviet feel. If you want a list full of individually hard to kill models, Adeptus Custodes or a Terminator heavy space marine or chaos marine list might be something you'd enjoy. If you're just looking to pick up a Combat Patrol though, I'd think Adeptus Custodes is probably the safest bet if you want to lean in to the Khador man-o-war feeling.

Mechanicus I don't think really fits the bill for either the Cryx or the Khador playstyle but I'd have to defer to someone who owns their new book, I don't know if they still have much in the way of enemy debuffs widely available.
My centerpiece was a fat unit of the Khador infantry with all the trimmings plus a couple of jacks, so it sounds like the Guard is where to look. It was always fun to rocket/mortar their hella elite unit coming in to do some drat complex thing and then just swarm it and beat it to death. From the OP it sounds like you win by doing your goals rather than just crushing the enemy, though.

In larger armies how easy is it to mix and match out of different lists (if it's permitted at all)?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

S.J. posted:

Between entirely different factions? You can use a portion of your points for that, but unless you're doing it for flavor, it's generally not great a lot of the time. Imperial factions have a lot easier time with it because they have so many options though, especially with all the imperial kill teams coming out that get rules for normal 40k, so there are some exceptions. Generally though you can't mix/match outside of your "lore" groupings, ie, Imperials can ally together, Chaos can ally together, etc

And yeah if you want the big brick of infantry plus heavy armor along side, the Guard is where you'll want to be imo
Thanks, sounds like a place to start even if I'm probably well away from buying models :cheersdoge:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

The aesthetic might not be exactly the same, but the color scheme is.

Need a new commissar model that doesn't look so drab and boring though.
Sadly I sold them or I could just slide in Irusk. Which Guard regiment or whoever is this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

Spartans look sick, I should build mine.

Speedpainted this Terminator to get an idea for my colour scheme and also cause I need to just get some painted bodies on the table so I can play some 10th. I think I used too much turquoise for the body to be considered black and I ended up layering too much white so I lost depth on the shoulders. Less is more!

I think that's a good color balance though, looks awesome

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Do people get up your rear end if you do unusual color schemes or something? I like the Salamander lore but their color scheme is boring as poo poo. Fucken Ord/Llael rear end color scheme

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

10th edition explicitly broke any requirements for colour schemes to match chapters so go hog wild. If you paint Black Templar Crusader Squads in Ultramarine colours feel free to collect the tears.
Ultramarine colored Chaos Marines would be funny, especially if it was a sloppy layer over normal colors. The war crime squad!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shockeh posted:

Also, the galaxy is a big place, and any possible faction shenanigans are permissable and even justifiable in lore.

* The Ultramarines force on some kind of Vengeance crusade, who adopt tactics that eerily resemble the Black Templars
* The Black Legion warband comprised of a Sorceror and his retinue of carefully looted Rubrics over the last 10,000 years
* The Evil Sunz Kult of Speed who got wrecked on a planet with nearly no metallic resources, so they built wooden chariots, saved all the metal for Dakka instead and now resemble AoS Orruks (This owns, do this someone.)
* The Craftworld that fled into the Webway, became consumed by hatred and now look more like their Drukhari cousins, but still hold to the Aspects to stave off falling to Khaine completely.

This is how you make characterful armies, people!
Yeah I figured that was part of the underlying reason for the lore: you can fairly easily justify literally any army fighting any other army, at most some of the edge cases are "tragic misunderstanding"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Windowshopping between events during a visit to an equally nerdy friend (sadly, not a goon) and I noticed the "Generic Space Marine" patrol seems to have just ten guys plus two officers and a knee mortar. This seems kind of crappy compared to the other Space Marine chapter combat patrols, which also seem to be chock full of these new "Primaris" guys. Is the generic Space Marine one just the newbie trap option or something?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

darnon posted:

The thing is Combat Patrols are more balanced monetarily on GW's side than any real game balance as much as they might pretend to. And the Space Marine Combat Patrol isn't even that particularly great value since for the same price you could get the 40k Starter + terminator librarian for the same marines and (most of) a tyranid combat patrol.
It did seem rather expensive!! I do also see they seem to have gone full gunpla; I assume you still need to prime and probably glue if maybe not as much as I recall

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Psi is stored in the tits, much like how pee is stored in the balls

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If you build the model differently than the instructions, can the Mechanicus declare you a heretek

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Played a first game of warhams yesterday and lost horribly. But more importantly than that, it's a lot of work moving ten plastic (wo)mens around within a specific number of inches, especially when you do it ten or twenty times more after that.
What I'd do with my tape measure in Warmachine was measure out the six or eight or whatever inches and lock the tape measure so I had it preselected and could just scoot everyone up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stephenls posted:

The problem with that rumor as a rumor is that the idea of a Vespid Kill Team is such an obvious solution to the problem of how to justify budgeting the plasticization of the Vespid finecast kit on a corporate balance sheet that everyone who cares about Vespid spontaneously predicted it so, like... is it a rumor because there's an actual leak, or a rumor because everyone assumes it's true, or a rumor because people want it to be true? Who knows! Who can know, aside from GW employees?
Ah, the warp manifestation method of product development

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

:toot: got a sororitas patrol and some glue. Guess I can assemble them while ordering painting gear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Welcome brother or sister. Sisters are fun to put together, a pain to paint, and goddamn do they look good when you're done.
Indeed, I was already considering doing something a little different from the recommended scheme on the box, but I'm going to have to get paint. (Loose idea: work a green metallic/copper-tarnish aspect in there since I like oceanic poo poo, possibly make the hair light green for an advanced Sailor Moon joke)

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 21, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jesus Christ and all the Buddhas, this canoness is a pain in the rear end to hold together. I think i've gotten the limbs right at least. Her leg started coming loose but mistakes into miracles, I guess, now I just have to cure it and hope I'm not inhaling death fumes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/22/dark-angels-combat-patrol-who-are-the-vengeful-brethren-and-how-do-they-play/

They must be running out of material when it comes to hyping up the Dangles, because now they're breaking down their new Combat Patrol box out of all things. Instead of just mentioning it like before.

Even then the box itself is just regular Marine models.

You can't fool me, those are just Salamanders!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Two semi-lore questions as I glue nuns together:

1. Has anything been written in the lore about Sirius (as in, the star)?

2. What the hell are these vaguely T-shaped backpacks supposed to be? Life support? Emperortron packs?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, the Sisters look pretty good even bare and only glued. I think I got the one with the skull display on a stick a little funky but that was learning how the glue works. Now I'm going to have to worry about where to store these things!!

neaden posted:

I was rear ended recently and they paid the replacement cost of some stuff in the car that was damaged, so they should pay for the models.
And if they're feeling whiplash make sure to go to a doctor to get that in paper, they should put aside some money for any potential medical costs related to the accident
Also, file a suit! My housemate got a 'pay off your credit cards AND fix your car up' settlement on top of his medical costs recently!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Is urine stored in the progenium gland?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hooray, I finished the Battle Sisters squad assembly! I also accidentally cut a piece off a Sister Repentia. Oops!

I'm curious for the Seraphim Squad.

First, I have six clear plastic mounts, and five seraphims. Do I just have an extra in case, like how I've realized they give me my choice of heads?

Second, is there some trick to keep the clear plastic from getting caked in primer when it's priming time, or is that part of the fun?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

I would also like to say before you continue painting your Seraphim if you plan to play Sisters there's a very simple hack you can do that will save you $60. If you buy an actual Seraphim box it comes with all the parts to make Seraphim with Handflamers or Inferno Pistols as well as Zephyrim. You can then just snip off the hands at the wrist of two of your Combat Patrol Seraphim and glue on Hand Flamers (or Inferno Pistols if you're feeling spicy) letting you upgrade your Combat Patrol squad instead of leaving them on stinky bolt pistols and then you can build your Seraphim box as Seraphim with Infernos Pistols or Zephyrim.

If you're just building for fun then you can ignore this part.
This took me a moment but basically this would mean I would end up with two Seraphim units with the good guns for the price of one Seraphim unit which I would scavenge for bits.

I had someone explain the science of plastic glue to me which also let me realize that wait, this part I chopped off accidentally on a Battle Sister... can just be reattached! At worst, it'll look weirdly shaped when I prime and paint.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

If you want further ideas, the Sisters community has some very motivated people making helpful posts for people just starting out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sistersofbattle/wiki/newplayerguide/

https://www.reddit.com/r/sistersofb...web2x&context=3
Oh tight, thank you! I think my incompetence has variated the poses of my Battle Sisters squad somewhat, although I can see that it would be more of a thing with Marines. I'm guessing when and if I get around to assembling a marine army, it's going to be easier, huh :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Aliensandwich posted:

Not sure if this belongs in the mini-painting thread or not, but I'm really debating how I'm going to paint those pesky runes on that Librarian in Terminator armor from the Leviathan box. He's the last Terminator I need to paint.

I'm debating on whether to leave the runes with a dark recess shade or to hit em with a thinned down bright blue.

A lot of examples I've seen with bright recesses seem to look like it's super easy to overdo it and make the details look chonky. A lot of the runes on my model have too soft of detail to catch the liquid in a crisp way as well.

I feel like canonically it makes sense for them to be glowing, since he's portrayed mid brain-blast with the model, but I want him to look as tidy as possible if he's going to be attached/ leading my Terminator squad.

Anyone have any recommended methods, or should I jus leave em dark with some Nuln Oil?
This is pretty generic but what comes to mind for me is:

Hit the runes with a pretty bright layer of color, first thing.
Work around carefully while doing the general paint
If necessary do a separate highlight touch at the end

Any bleedover could be taken as 'eldritch glow lighting'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

tau also are ok with slavery though so its not like they are that great either.

there are no heroes or good guys in 40k just lovely situations and people and the folks forced to survive in it.
Salamanders seem ok, though I suspect they would purge xenos just as happily as the rest, they just don't have the staffing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

yeah salamanders seem cool as well i apologize.
I mean the fact that they're remarkable for being the one chapter that are NOT assholes validates the greater point!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I remember that being a cool mystery about them at the time. All their history recounts it as a mysterious legendary event, and the Tau seem to assume these guys just came out of the desert and used their Superior Logic to convince everyone to work together.
Didn't this happen with the perpetuals and humans on post-cyberpocalypse Terra?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ashcans posted:

For Adepta Sororitas, models can come on 25, 28, 32, 40, and 50mm bases. All these are for essentially normal humans of various stripes.
Being in the process of assembling a Sororitas combat patrol I can attest that the bases are directly proportional to your faith in the Emperor.

Repentia? Not much faith. 28mm.

Sisters of Battle themselves? 32mm, not bad.

The Penitent Engine? That guy's definitely getting tortured really hard, and I remember in Hellraiser how that helps you do your worshipping stuff. 50mm. Chunky boie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I was reading Lore and I lol'd at the Goofus-rear end Chapter the Salamanders beefed with. Literally clad in a child's first paint colors.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Desfore posted:

Jeez, even putting the new guy among other Custodes, he looks stumpy. I dunno if it's the pillar he's standing on, or the pose, but he just looks weird to me...
Maybe Big E was experimenting with Squat DNA in his custodes with him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

It's a lot because armies are internally consistent.

Guard are on 28.5, Orks on 32, Custodes on 40

I'm a little bit surprised that Sisters are 32mm and 25mm, I thought they'd also switch over to 28
I think the Seraphim are the ones on 25 so that may be a factor, since diegetically they're moving in the third dimension. And the Penitent having a warjack-rear end base makes sense, as it is, basically, a warjack - I actually think I had that one.

The repentia are on 28 other than the Superior who is on 32. Are their armor saves and such comparable to Marines? I understand they're in basically ladies-size versions of Space Marine armor, it just doesn't give them as many powers because they don't have gene seed, just their fanatical love of his emperorness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The arcoflagellants also have 25mm bases, having just assembled them. Also, oops, I snipped off one of Arcoflagellant C's whip finger things. Ruined forever, or the kind of thing nobody gives a poo poo about?

Since I'm getting near done with the assembly I am wondering what the hell I do with the decal sheet they gave me. Advice or guidance welcome.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Those are all good plans, although this was a REALLY tiny bit - like it is part of the whippy thing the arcoflagellants have, and I think I have already lost it. Battle damage sounds like a good plan though, and it is good to know there are solutions if I accidentally chop off someone's arm or gun!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tried doing some pin drilling, stopped because I seemed to just be constantly making weird divergent apertures that were going to gently caress up the gun model parts irreparably OR made teeny tiny little holes that didn't look like anything. Is this a case where I just should have gotten a power tool or what :smith:

Also if there is some kind of guide on how to make decals look good I would love to see it, google failed me or seemed to be inferring that I already knew how to work with them at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

From the few times I tried it, even a handheld dremel ends up being way, way too much for the scale that models operate at. Fuckups when you're handholding a pin vice, doing one rotation at a time manually get turned into huge gouges or holes blown entirely through something when you've got a motor spinning at whatever RPMs it spins at. Start with a tiny starter hole drilled manually with the tip of a hobby knife twirled around a few times. Yes it's going to be very very tiny and shallow, the only thing it's doing is holding the very tip of your bit in place as it starts to rotate. The bit will widen that hole for you since that's, ya know, what it does.

You also want to avoid muscles providing your stability. Muscles are never stable they just don't operate that way. I sometimes end in yoga-looking poses where I've got one hand braced on the work surface, the other hand holding the drill braced on my first hand and so on. Whatever it takes to have bone contact to a solid, stable surface.

And this may be a Tyranid thing that doesn't work on "normal" guns like space marine bolters or whatever but I usually don't have to actually drill all that deep anyway. Just enough to make a cone recess in to the barrel then after primer put some pure black paint in there and there's just plain no way to tell the difference without a magnifying glass three inches away from the model.
Reasonable! The drill set with my little pin drill came with a bunch of loving tiny loose drill bits and this set of ten 'actual bits with chucks for the teeth to bite into.' I was trying to put some holds into the barrels that looked plausible and I lowballed what to do, though I did go pretty deep on a couple. It may at this point be best to accept that the already-primed models are just going to be lacking in this field and try to do it with the unprimed ones, or a future set, but even so... even so...

The last 'thing' I have been considering getting is one of those ice-cream-cone-looking things for holding onto the figurines. Seems like a reasonable investment but it's not clear to me how they actually hold the thing in place. Some kind of putty?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

In principle I’d say any army could get fluffed as a rogue traders retinue and household squad. Maybe not like Grey Knights or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Goonhammer is a great resource. Dang. Was there drama there or just “got big enough to go semi pro”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

A couple of years back the Warhammer thread was not in a great shape when it came to posting content.
So not so much drama as some of the regular posters just left and founded goonhammer, and they've kept on trucking from there.
The Dark Age of Posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I mean part of that was that Games Workshop was being run into the ground by incompetent management at the time so it turned into a hate thread, and those always end up eating themselves
Why did they seem to go from “awful” to “fasc vacate, also we have decent video games now” anyway? I assume management changes of some kind