Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

maybealabia posted:

Curious about carbonating things that I probably shouldn't, like pickle brine or milk

I'd be lying if I said I never thought about carbonating chocolate milk with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

RoboBoogie posted:

downside is that their plastic bottle expires which i find weird.

A friend told me this and I think that is a scam to make you buy new ones. it’s plastic, it won’t expire for 10000000 years

kooshkaboose
May 18, 2023

by Pragmatica
its because its a pressure vessel. can explode.

honestly soda streams kind of blow, regular fountain machines mix everything at once for a reason.
if you add any sugars into plain carbonated water its going to rapidly expand and make a mess everywhere.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

maybealabia posted:

Curious about carbonating things that I probably shouldn't, like pickle brine or milk
Just go on YouTube to find people carbonating random liquids. It generally turns out poorly.

These guys do milk among other things: https://youtu.be/kNFKr4fjorI

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jRoatZizQ0&t=868s

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

sparkling ropes, has anyone thought of sparkling ropes?

connect the tube inline with your reproductive organs, and voilà?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

von Braun posted:

A friend told me this and I think that is a scam to make you buy new ones. it’s plastic, it won’t expire for 10000000 years

And they say it’s because the plastic starts leaking into your water. Well fucker why didn’t you think of that when you were designing the system in the first place ?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Yes and it’s a great replacement for soda. I used to try using the syrups but now I usually just drink sparkling water plain or with some lemon and it satisfies the soda craving.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I have a Drinkmate, which I would highly recommend over a SodaStream for ease of cleaning and the ability to carbonate more than just water.
I have a 20bux adapter from amazon for refilling the co2 canisters from a bigger 5lbs tank that lasts like 4 months generally, and only costs $20 to refill at my local welding supply place (they specifically do beverage grade co2, tho i honestly doubt it matters really).
Less plastic waste, one less heavy thing to buy at the store, more flavor variety and you can do weird cocktail nonsense with them.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Toxic Mental posted:

It's bigly cheaper to get it from a party supply or sporting goods store (supposedly from what I saw like a year ago on some subreddit that broke down the math)

If I'm drinking soda it's from cans and it's diet, I generally try to avoid plastics.

It's $15 for a canister from sodastream as long as you ship the canister back for free when it's empty. It does 90L, so that's 16 cents per liter of soda or sparkling water.

I spent $2 on a 16 ounce can of sparkling water today, as I was traveling. If I had a sodastream handy it woulda been 8 cents.

I'm sure a sodastream can be modded to be even cheaper but I'm already paying 4% of retail price for sparkling water so I don't really care about min maxing that

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I never find my soda gets that fizzy with my SS :(

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Charles Bukowski posted:

I never find my soda gets that fizzy with my SS :(

Make sure the seal is locked and push the button longer. I've tried and gotten water where I was unable to drink it because it was so fizzy.

I've seen people use mine and not understand you have to lock it in before pushing the bottle into the machine body and pushing the button. Failure to do this will make it not at all fizzy.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

air escapes when pressure in the SS bottle reaches its max from what I've experienced. If you hear air escaping in the beginning then you're doing it wrong

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Has anyone looked into the Ninja Thirsti to see if it is worth trying?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
It's great for mixing with soda. My go to move right now is mixing about half seltzer with half no sugar Mountain Dew Spark.

Or just drinking plain with lemon.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Also the colder the water the more co2 it will be able to absorb, very cold water really does make a drastic difference. You can also shake the bottle after you pressurize it which can help a bit.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

they should make a really expensive desodastream that un-carbonates anything you can imagine.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Drunk Nerds posted:

I've tried and gotten water where I was unable to drink it because it was so fizzy.

I want to try the violence flavored water

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
I love makin da wata spicy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I should get one. I only drink those dumb lightly flavored carbonated water drinks now and they all suck.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
my experience of the soda-stream syrups is a suspect pepsi that never hits the spot. the 7-up was OK but honestly I think it’s best to just fizzy your waters and try mixing with better brands. for the explosion folks you just add the bubbles like you would cordial/squash unless big soda means you aren’t squash people?

drink 90% bubbles waters and occasionally have one of these guava for a treat or the sugar free peach ice tea which is sensational.

https://sweetbird.com/collections/pink-guava-lime-lemonade/

guava is just 🫶✌️👌🤌

Crystal Thenis fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 4, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i drink sparkling water at work now cause thye have a machine here. it's just carbonated water tho. adding syrup and poo poo is a tremendous fail

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's $15 for a canister from sodastream as long as you ship the canister back for free when it's empty. It does 90L, so that's 16 cents per liter of soda or sparkling water.

The SS canisters do 60L, and you can be sure that’s rated at 3 small pumps or whatever the minimum usage per bottle they can get away with.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The cheapest way is to get a C02 tank adapter for the soda stream and a C02 tank from your local home brewing supplier or hardware store. Paintball tanks are a waste of money.

The C02 tank lasts a while (up to a few months depending on how often you fill up the bottles) and is like $20-$30 to refill depending on where you are

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Any good Soda-Stream recipes to share? Like how many button presses and for how long? Maybe you add the syrup between the second and third presses?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Can you make white claws with it?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

maybealabia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78p-6rdkNOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHTzKnWiCeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWbNlyiBy8

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've used my sodastream for many many years now. it's very handy. my advice is to avoid adding anything but water. just makes it hard to clean and doesn't really tastes that great. besides all we're in this for is that rush from chugging seltzer

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

:ibadpop:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Mozi posted:

i've used my sodastream for many many years now. it's very handy. my advice is to avoid adding anything but water. just makes it hard to clean and doesn't really tastes that great. besides all we're in this for is that rush from chugging seltzer

That and the amazing burps.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

when i was your age we just drank normal water and used our imagination

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What do I do with all the used tanks?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

What do I do with all the used tanks?

you order the same amount of new tanks from sodastream and you send the empty ones back in the box (comes with a shipping label)

Griz
May 21, 2001

Squee posted:

I have a Drinkmate, which I would highly recommend over a SodaStream for ease of cleaning and the ability to carbonate more than just water.

Drinkmate cylinders also don't have the anti-refill valve that SS does.

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
the soda stream co2 bottles are expensive, used corny kegs are like 50 dollars around here (pnw) and a 20 pound co2 tank is 40 dollars for a refill and last like a year or more, if you get creative with a mini fridge you can fit both in one.

ice cold bubbly water on demand all the time is the best thing ever.

sithael fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 5, 2023

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Three Olives posted:

No, I do not support the genocide of the Palestinian people.

...huh?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Sodastream is an Israeli company that has put factories on stolen land and displaced Palestinians.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Siphon's are way cooler than a lovely soda stream.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

protip: most foodservice beverage suppliers will swap out full sized co2 tanks cod if you’re along their route. saves a whole lot of hassle. sometimes you can get fancy syrups and other such things as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
soda siphons are cooler