Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
What words do you botch in order to think? And help other goons find "le mot juste"

For me:

Colloquially: means "in the language of ordinary or familiar conversation; informally." I use this word to describe the idea that we are trained to use words in a specific way to facilitate certain 'living' definitions such as the idea that IQ be used interchangeably for intelligence, as in the word IQ is colloquially used to define intelligence. This seems to be a common way to use the word 'colloquially' rather than to a lexicon that is just informal. Am I even right or am I splitting hairs here. Colloqially, "I'm gay" on the forams potentially relates to absurdism (something I also used to incorrectly call 'dadaism') rather than meaning its a declaration of your sexuality.

Em: means "a unit for measuring the width of printed matter, equal to the height of the type size being used. A unit of measurement equal to twelve points." I use this to quantize or discreetly quantify measurements or steps of the aesthetic nature. As in a knuckle could be an em of the entire fist. Or the line width of a character could be an em of the complete glyph, as there are mathematical relationships between the line width of a glyph and the other features and spaces of a glyph. Or perhaps a component or measurement of the face is an em towards describing the aesthetics of the rest of the face. Is the correct word either 'integer' or 'figure'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
Like many people I use "literally" its so-called colloquial sense, but it carries a coloration of intentionality? As in someone is literally doing X not as metaphor and not in actual fact, but rather if they understand their actions to represent and/or facilitate X. To me the word ascribes malice or premeditation rather than as-writ factuality.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I call people assholes even though they are in actual fact no more made up of anal tissue than any other person is likely to be

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I say "chortle my balls" as an insult. It sounds good. But chortle does not mean "suck on". It means laugh.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I only sound like a dumb rear end in a top hat whenever I open my orifice, actually im reely smart

8523_2
Aug 6, 2023
I'm coping through this neverending 100% poor homelessness just fine

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Windows 98 posted:

I say "chortle my balls" as an insult. It sounds good. But chortle does not mean "suck on". It means laugh.

I'll laugh at your balls if I must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

masticating every day