Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Two things come to mind:

The entire experience of watching Snakes on a Plane on opening night in a small theater packed with people who were all in for it.

The first time I saw the South Park movie in the theater and they started singing Uncle Fucker, I've never laughed harder for longer in a theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I was at a cinema that had a tie in mobile app where the audience would play some minigames with each other on the big screen before the trailers rolled. It was a pretty packed theatre, but there was only one person using the app somewhere in the crowd and everyone else was just sort of watching them play. After a few minutes the games ended and a voice came on like "Thank you everyone for playing!".

And then the one, incredibly flamboyant dude who was playing in the back sarcastically yells "You're WELCOME!"

This was years back but it always makes me laugh when I remember it.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Epic? Probably seeing Kate Winslet's nice rack in Titanic. I was 12 at the time and my conservative mom who took me there didn't expect a PG-13 movie to show tits

Now for a more shocking experience that I think of, probably not what I feel comfortable calling "epic" - seeing Bart's bare penis in the intro scene of The Simpsons Movie. The last thing you'd expect in that imo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

kdrudy posted:

The entire experience of watching Snakes on a Plane on opening night in a small theater packed with people who were all in for it.

I was in a mid-size theater on opening night watching that with a big crowd, and halfway through the movie a massive thunderstorm hit outta nowhere. The theater we were in started flooding from the roof. That was pretty epic.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

First Jackass movie in a packed house was so much fun. The crowd was hooting and hollering which made the jokes even better.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Pacific Rim at the imax was very cool

Also Cast Away, during the heart breaking scene where Tom Hanks loses Wilson the volleyball, and yells its name in panic, someone in the audience said loudly but matter-of-factly "he can't hear ya" and that was it, nobody could take this movie seriously anymore

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

10 Cloverfield Lane, when the aliens show up a guy yelled what the gently caress!? with incredible comic timing and it made a fun movie even better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
A friend and I went to see a late night showing of Elf in like 2004 or whenever. There were about seven of us in the theater. Just after the movie begins, a fist fight breaks out behind us. It ends when one concedes, and as he storms out he shouts, "Thanks for ruining this movie!"

That's all I got. I always chuckle when I think about it.

Oh, seeing Cats in the theater was a worthwhile experience. Everyone had a good time but for like one person who did not think it was funny

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Definitely going on a first date with a girl I met at rehab and seeing Jackass 2 near opening night at a local movie theater with a mainly black audience. I laughed so hard that my ribs hurt. The audience was incredible, easily the most fun time I've had at a movie theater.Just complete pandemonium.

Several years later a confused and angry man showed up and opened fire into a crowd that was there to see the newest Batman movie at that same theater, though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
When my ex tried to give me a hand job during "Shadow of the Vampire" and I said "no thank you, I'm watching the movie"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kdrudy posted:

The first time I saw the South Park movie in the theater and they started singing Uncle Fucker, I've never laughed harder for longer in a theater.

Same but it was the scene in Team America World Police where the dude can’t stop vomiting.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Phantom Menace, April 1999.

Sold out, the crowd was amped. Then the movie started...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean what counts as "epic" here? That said I've never had a cinematic experience or experience such a pure and unison crowd reaction to a movie scene as the nude fight scene in Borat.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the bear scene in the revenant. i had no idea it was coming, having known basically nothing about the movie going in. holy gently caress

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the bear scene in the revenant. i had no idea it was coming, having known basically nothing about the movie going in. holy gently caress

that poo poo is a triumph in film making, there really isn't anything like it. Its scarier than any attack by a fictional monster in a movie and those things are walking around right now in the woods.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

that poo poo is a triumph in film making, there really isn't anything like it. Its scarier than any attack by a fictional monster in a movie and those things are walking around right now in the woods.

agreed.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

The entirety of Mad Max Fury Road was amazing in the cinema, but the sandstorm scene or the start of the final action scene are probably the highlights.

At the end of the sandstorm sequence the packed theater I was in was dead quiet. I've never seen a crowd give 100% of its attention to anything like that before or since.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Arven posted:

At the end of the sandstorm sequence the packed theater I was in was dead quiet. I've never seen a crowd give 100% of its attention to anything like that before or since.

Honestly the best 30 minutes of cinema from the start of the movie to the end of the sandstorm.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Watching the first borat in a packed theater in 2006. The entire audience was in tears for the whole thing it was awesome. Then when the movie ended the back door opened, lights went on and the manager of the theater told us we all had to evacuate because there had been a potentially deadly gas leak 20 minutes ago. Somehow that made it even funnier

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jackass 3d was an unbelievable vibe in the theatre. Everybody was going absolutely nuts at some parts, people falling out of their seats and stuff.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Borat where Borat and Azamat are fighting and the whole theater was laughing so much it hurt and one dude puked from laughing

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Seeing The Matrix in the theater for the first time, knowing nothing about it except for the mysterious stuff they showed in the trailers. Then a few minutes in, Trinity runs horizontally along the walls and jumps across the buildings and it was all "Holy poo poo!" from there.

That or Kill Bill: Volume 1. I had never seen a Tarantino movie before and was absolutely awe-struck at the stylized ultraviolence. The part in the anime sequence (I know, I know) where teen O-Ren hides under the bed and kills the guy by blowing off a foot with one shot, then shoots him in the head as he's falling (then does it again to a second guy) particularly stands out.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 6, 2023

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I went to the Iron Man 2 midnight premier at my local cinema wearing an Iron Man cosplay with lights and stuff. When I walked in the entire theater of people started cheering and clapping, it was pretty cool. The best part was that I was working at a grocery store at the time, and one of the bag crew was special needs and when I took the helmet off he got so excited, all his friends were with him and they were over the moon. He told me everyday after that at work that his friends thought he was the coolest for knowing Iron Man. :frogbon::unsmith:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modulo16 posted:

I went to the Iron Man 2 midnight premier at my local cinema wearing an Iron Man cosplay with lights and stuff. When I walked in the entire theater of people started cheering and clapping, it was pretty cool. The best part was that I was working at a grocery store at the time, and one of the bag crew was special needs and when I took the helmet off he got so excited, all his friends were with him and they were over the moon. He told me everyday after that at work that his friends thought he was the coolest for knowing Iron Man. :frogbon::unsmith:
That's very sweet and awesome!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I saw Hereditary at 12am opening night in a packed theater. the audible gasp from the audience when Charlie's head gets knocked off was so satisfying

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Caesar Saladin posted:

Jackass 3d was an unbelievable vibe in the theatre. Everybody was going absolutely nuts at some parts, people falling out of their seats and stuff.

Same. Every one lost their poo poo (pun intended) at the 3d poop volcano.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

When I saw The Last Jedi in theaters and a little kid went EWWWWWW when shirtless Adam Driver came onscreen

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The projector broke at Gremlins II and a bunch of people tried to storm the projection booth

Added a bit of punch to the gag where the film looks like it breaks later in the movie

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

credburn posted:

A friend and I went to see a late night showing of Elf in like 2004 or whenever. There were about seven of us in the theater. Just after the movie begins, a fist fight breaks out behind us. It ends when one concedes, and as he storms out he shouts, "Thanks for ruining this movie!"

That's all I got. I always chuckle when I think about it.

Two guys fought at a showing of Daredevil. Oddly the middle aged participant took his shirt off beforehand, it was a lot of flailing before the lights came up and both were thrown out, and we got free tickets on the way out which I wasted to see Phone Booth.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I wish I’d gone into that cold, the trailer gave away too much. I knew Hardy was gonna be a bad a guy and that Leo was gonna get mauled so that wrecked like the first third as there was way less tension. Not like Martian where you know he’s getting stranded but that happens within ten minutes.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I went to see Arrival, and at the end when they reveal the twist I compulsively said aloud "Oh I get it!". Then I felt like a jackass, but no one in the theater cared.

Also went to see Thank You for Smoking with my family and we were the only ones laughing, which made it even funnier.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Modulo16 posted:

lmao thats loving sick as hell

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
aragorn jumping out of the boat in ROTK, audience cheered.

people booing at the end of the midnight showing of spider-man 3

me and my brother were the only 2 white people in a packed theater for Original Kings of Comedy. it was a very animated crowd.

the guy casually smoking weed in an afternoon showing of Pearl Harbor

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008
I saw 12 Monkeys in a theatre in Budapest when I was backpacking across Europe in 1996. My buddy and I were the first to buy tickets and sit down. We didn't know the theatre assigned seats and I was worried when people started coming in and sitting down. We checked our tickets and realized that somehow we had managed to choose our exact assigned seats when we walked into the empty theatre.

Liked the movie it was in English with Hungarian or whatever language subtitles. Near the end there is a scene in an airport where one of the characters goes into a bookstore. There was a shot in that scene of a bunch of travel guides and the one front and center was Hungary. The rest of the audience started cheering and talking excitedly.

After it was over I was kind of skeptical about that travel guide placement and wondered if movie studios put poo poo like that in movies depending on where they were shipping that movie. Like would it be a different travel guide if we watched 12 Monkeys in Vienna? I've never watched that movie again so I still wonder about that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when morbius said it's morbin time and the whole place went nuts, it was truly wild beyond anything i've experienced

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Was excited to cosplay at the Barbie movie as I have severely hosed up genitals.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Seeing the first Jackass in theatre. People were drinking, fighting, howling, yet somehow all felt respectful. Lot of cinema security but they were watching and laughing as well. Row in front of me was a bunch of kids at a birthday party, probably like 10, a bit too young to be there but the one dad with them was burly & was keeping things in check. Anyway, some older dude, clearly drunk was running up the stairs to his seat, tripped over himself and sort of fell into the kids, who shouted "YEAH!" and started cheering. Was an awesome time 😆

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Jackass 3D on opening night. The crowd was laughing so much that it was hard to hear certain parts, but it felt like everyone wanted to be there and if 3D is only a gimmick, at least this was the coolest use of it.

I worked at a movie theater when Fahrenheit 911 came out and my managers were somehow convinced that there was going to be rioting and full scale assaults on the employees, but the only thing that happened was that I carded a girl who was 21 and she exploded in a rage and showed her ID and yelled, “Can I see my adult movie now?!?!?!”

The most epic moment when I worked there was when I thought the theater was on fire and I didn’t have to work that day because the whole fire lane was blocked by fire trucks with flashing lights, but in reality it was just a blocked vent over the popcorn popper and there was just a little smoke and we got yelled at by the managers for not cleaning the vents properly.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
Jackass [X] on opening day and Borat vs. Azamat were all definitely whole room hootin' and hollerin' moments universally, it seems. Same experience here.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

In the first Planet of the Apes remake from the early 2000s, there's a scene where the main character kisses a chimp woman and many people in the audience went "eww!". Later on he ends up kissing a human woman and a lone guy right in front of me yelled "EWW!" as loud as he could. Best part of the movie easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Lol when I saw that movie my brother and I had just watched boogie nights the night before and so when he tells the girl “I’m going to show you something you’ve never seen.” My brother shouted “Yeah, a thirteen inch dick!”