Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Going to see IMAX movie and they showed a sneak peak of Tenet which was the entire Opera Siege scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Blue Labrador posted:

The entirety of Mad Max Fury Road was amazing in the cinema, but the sandstorm scene or the start of the final action scene are probably the highlights.

Green Room was also pretty rad at the cinema because everybody was audibly and unabashedly unnerved and horrified and on the same wavelength.

The drive home from seeing Fury Road in IMAX was almost therapeutic. Even the "take a breath" moments in the movie were just mesmerizing.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Randarkman posted:

I mean what counts as "epic" here? That said I've never had a cinematic experience or experience such a pure and unison crowd reaction to a movie scene as the nude fight scene in Borat.

Costco Meatballs posted:

Borat where Borat and Azamat are fighting and the whole theater was laughing so much it hurt and one dude puked from laughing

MrQwerty posted:

Jackass [X] on opening day and Borat vs. Azamat were all definitely whole room hootin' and hollerin' moments universally, it seems. Same experience here.

pencilhands posted:

Watching the first borat in a packed theater in 2006. The entire audience was in tears for the whole thing it was awesome. Then when the movie ended the back door opened, lights went on and the manager of the theater told us we all had to evacuate because there had been a potentially deadly gas leak 20 minutes ago. Somehow that made it even funnier

This was my answer too, the naked fight in Borat. The theater was packed and the whole place was howling. No one saw that coming.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On 9/12/2001 I walked around downtown nyc with a friend, we didn’t know what else to do so we watched emergency vehicles and looked at all the impromptu shrines and missing persons flyers.

We walked by a movie theater and there was a little hand drawn sign that said “today is a day at the movies! Free movies and snacks”

So we go in and the next thing showing was Apocalypse Now Redux. We got our free popcorn and sodas, then settled in for one of the weirdest movie watching experiences I’ve ever had. The tension in the crowd was wild, it felt so weird to watch that movie while everyone is basically in shock. The context made some of the lines hot especially hard in the moment.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I got to go to Japan the summer before high school, die hard 3 was playing and my Japanese host family were super eager to to see it. I had never seen die hard 1 or 2 but was instantly in love with 3.

It was presented in English with Japanese subs. I can't read Japanese, so this meant that everyone else in the audience was able to speed read all the good jokes as soon as they appeared on screen... I was the only one seemingly laughing after Bruce or Sam actually say their lines.

Until one scene... where a guy gets cut in half. The punchline is actually the actors moving in a certain way, but I think the way the subtitles were presented meant that absolutely no one else got the joke or laughed. I think it simply didn't land at all. Just me, cackling hysterically at a bisected corpse being dragged. I wonder if the joke works nowadays, with updated translations? Anyone read japanese?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Beginning of Up on opening night. Nobody expected it and you could hear a lot of people crying. I wouldnt call it epic but there was something very powerful and affecting about that.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The alleyway joust in Quickchange

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Seeing Terminator 2 on the Thursday midnight showing before its opening weekend. Everyone in the audience was super hyped but reined it in just enough that their cheering didn't drown out the dialogue. The only moment I was taken out of the movie was that terrible rear screen projection after they escape the psychiatric hospital in the police car. It also had the Alien 3 teaser that revealed an egg floating in space and a narrator hinting at an Earth-based story. Everyone cheered for that too. We were all blissfully unaware of the rewrites and struggles that were going on behind the scenes, but there was optimism in the air...

borracho
Sep 17, 2002

Oven Wrangler
Saw Batman (1989) at midnight release with two other comic-crazed friends in high school. When he flew the Batwing up to eclipse the moon, the entire theater exploded in cheers. Great moment, great time.

Years later I smuggled a beer in a 22oz glass bottle into a theater. Accidentally tipped the empty over and had to sit there as it very loudly rolled from the back of the theater all the way to the front. Nobody said anything but everyone could hear and there were a few chuckles and turned heads.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

down1nit posted:

I got to go to Japan the summer before high school, die hard 3 was playing and my Japanese host family were super eager to to see it. I had never seen die hard 1 or 2 but was instantly in love with 3.

It was presented in English with Japanese subs. I can't read Japanese, so this meant that everyone else in the audience was able to speed read all the good jokes as soon as they appeared on screen... I was the only one seemingly laughing after Bruce or Sam actually say their lines.

Until one scene... where a guy gets cut in half. The punchline is actually the actors moving in a certain way, but I think the way the subtitles were presented meant that absolutely no one else got the joke or laughed. I think it simply didn't land at all. Just me, cackling hysterically at a bisected corpse being dragged. I wonder if the joke works nowadays, with updated translations? Anyone read japanese?

This was me, in Korea, on a date we with some chick went and saw that lovely Chris Pine romantic comedy movie "This Means War", and because they could read faster than the lines came out of the actor's mouths and the nature of the language being basically opposite of English, it seemed like they laughed at every joke before it was even said. Truly bizarre.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dick Jones posted:

Seeing Terminator 2 on the Thursday midnight showing before its opening weekend. Everyone in the audience was super hyped but reined it in just enough that their cheering didn't drown out the dialogue. The only moment I was taken out of the movie was that terrible rear screen projection after they escape the psychiatric hospital in the police car. It also had the Alien 3 teaser that revealed an egg floating in space and a narrator hinting at an Earth-based story. Everyone cheered for that too. We were all blissfully unaware of the rewrites and struggles that were going on behind the scenes, but there was optimism in the air...

Did anyone not know Arnold was gonna be the good guy? That would have been an amazing reveal if you weren’t expecting it.

Another great was Children of Men. A buddy wanted to see it and I knew zero going in. The long shots still hold up amazingly well. Also didn’t know anything about Boyhood and just thought wow, this director did an amazing job finding kid actors who look like older versions of their younger selves.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
When we saw Hellboy, the trailer for White Chicks played three times in a row, to a room full of people unbelievably unreceptive to the film White Chicks. That was pretty fun.

That same showing had an old guy in the audience who kept yelling at the movie between falling asleep and loudly snoring. Eventually someone just screamed "shut the gently caress up!!". The guy was quiet for like 2 minutes and then just yelled "You shut up, buddy!" out of nowhere. Everybody had a good laugh, and then we were all fine with his antics for the rest of the movie.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did anyone not know Arnold was gonna be the good guy? That would have been an amazing reveal if you weren’t expecting it.

iirc originally the trailers hid the reveal and implied that two terminators were sent back after John, but the studios didn't think that people would come to see T2 if Arnold wasn't the hero so trailers were released spoiling the reveal

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Slugworth posted:

When we saw Hellboy, the trailer for White Chicks played three times in a row, to a room full of people unbelievably unreceptive to the film White Chicks. That was pretty fun.

That same showing had an old guy in the audience who kept yelling at the movie between falling asleep and loudly snoring. Eventually someone just screamed "shut the gently caress up!!". The guy was quiet for like 2 minutes and then just yelled "You shut up, buddy!" out of nowhere. Everybody had a good laugh, and then we were all fine with his antics for the rest of the movie.

This is not epic, but when I went to see I Heart Huckabees, two of the trailers were for Wax Museum and Red Eye, and my friends and I legitimately thought they were fake trailers ala Tropic Thunder.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A few years back when M. Night Shyamalan’s career was at a low point there was a trailer for Devil and when it said “from a story by M. Night Shyamalan” the theater had a lot of laughter.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Other then the Borat scene...

Watching Rambo 4 as a theatre as a drunk teenager with my friend. The only other people in the theater were 2 other guys also our age and our state of inedbriated. Before the movie started, there were some commercials for some local businesses. This included this goofy old car salesman named Jolly John. We all started joking around in his super thick Maine accent and were laughing our asses off.

Then the movie started and it was loving nuts. Almost an hour of build up. I will never forget that scene of Rambo chopping that 50 cal gunner guy's head off before using it on the guy in the driver seat and just liquidating him. We were losing our minds.

https://youtu.be/1ZeDq4Yo6Jk

About 30 seconds in.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was also wonderful, packed theatre. The collective reaction when Leo busted out the flamethrower at the end was amazing.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Big Bizness posted:

The movie started and it was loving nuts. Almost an hour of build up. I will never forget that scene of Rambo chopping that 50 cal gunner guy's head off before using it on the guy in the driver seat and just liquidating him. We were losing our minds.

IIRC some goon actually worked on the special effects on that scene in Rambo 4, doing all the digital blood and limb explosions and poo poo

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
All of Mad Mad Fury Road in the theaters. That movie was unreal, ended up seeing it 6 times in theaters and was blown away every time.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
when jim carey crawled out of the rhino's butt in ace ventura 2

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Mad Mac Fury Road

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Mad Mad Fury Road

Why do people in this thread have such a difficult time typing Mad Max? It's six letters long ffs, and there is only one letter difference between each word.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Scream 2 was the first slasher movie I saw in a theater. The whole crowd was screaming and laughing at everything on the screen. In the middle of it a theatre employee dressed as ghostface ran down one of the aisles and grabbed someone in the first row. The whole theatre lost their poo poo. It was incredible.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McGavin posted:

Why do people in this thread have such a difficult time typing Mad Max? It's six letters long ffs, and there is only one letter difference between each word.

Canadians. "Mad Mac"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

McGavin posted:

I’m on mobile. Seattle down dude

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

It's not really "epic", but when I watched Don't Breathe when it came out, the theatre was unusually packed, and people were chatty and responsive to the movie, but in a pretty fun and engaged way that was pretty rad.

The sheer pop-off and audible disgust that was shared when the turkey baster was revealed still makes me laugh to this day, and that energy was carried through the entire rest of the movie.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I saw The Empire Strikes Back in this huge theater in LA and waited in line for hours for the right to do so.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah, also seeing Ladybird in Sacramento was loving awesome. There are so many little details that are accurate to that area and time period that people would feel seen and get jazzed over the most random poo poo.

There's also one line in it that makes fun of Granite Bay, and everybody shared an incredibly cathartic laugh.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

DickParasite posted:

Scream 2 was the first slasher movie I saw in a theater. The whole crowd was screaming and laughing at everything on the screen. In the middle of it a theatre employee dressed as ghostface ran down one of the aisles and grabbed someone in the first row. The whole theatre lost their poo poo. It was incredible.

drat if this happened now I would assume it was a mass shooter and run away or try to tackle them to the ground or something

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The TV ads I remember definitely showed the Terminator on the motorcycle with John, and making a promise not to kill anyone. I guess if you remembered the first Terminator as a bad guy, but didn't watch much TV it was possible to be surprised by Arnold being the good guy, because they don't show the T-1000 doing any morphing or explicitly evil acts until the hallway shootout. At the same time, Robert Patrick still gives off some icy inhuman vibes the whole time he's searching for John, and seems weirdly clean and efficient compared to how raggedy and desperate Kyle Reese was, so you kind of knew something was up.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

When I saw Skinamarink somebody dropped their drink during a particularly tense part and half the theater (myself included) jumped and one person yelled “Oh motherfucker” real loud. At the end of the movie a guy turned to his friend and said “I’m too scared to walk” and his friend laughed and he goes “I’m not joking rear end in a top hat give me a minute”.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I can’t even remember for sure what movie it was but I was in my early high school years with some buddies. back in those days tooling around at the mall, wandering through stores, catching a movie or playing some vidya (there was a LAN party themed place back then called the X Zone) was a common way to pass the time after school. 4 or 5 of us went to catch a flick and like halfway through the movie I accidentally took a sip of my friends soda. Kind of stared into space blankly then put my head in my hands when I realized lol. Everyone but said friend saw me do it and we all started laughing out asses off.

That friend died in a drunk driving accident like 10 years later so it’s kind of a bittersweet memory. :( ah to be young again….

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I watching kingsman 2 and when Elton fingers the festival girl I got startled and tripped on the stairs, spilling two glasses of wine on myself

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I saw Titanic at a drive-in. At this one it's pretty much the thing to get out of the car and watch it sitting in chairs with either the car radio or a boom box playing the sound.

I had a pickup at the time and turned it around backwards and sat in the back. It got really cold late in the night.

There's a point in the movie where the officers fire off rockets and the camera is pulled way back so you can see how small the ship is and because the sky was completely dark you couldn't see the edge of the screen. The image went off to the stars above and to the side without interruption.

That plus freezing my butt off from the cold lent an authenticity to the experience.

I don't know if that was the most epic moment but maybe it was the most sublime.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Cats. The bad one.

A few of us decided to pregame and go see Cats on a Friday night at Burbank AMC. When we showed the clerk our tickets, he kinda chuckled. We figured it was at us going to see this stupid thing a month after release.

The theater was full. Somehow everyone in Burbank had the same idea that night and we ended up at an impromptu rowdy showing. People came in announcing they were high and everyone cheered. Someone loudly asked if anyone else was horny after the Sonic trailer. Everyone sang every song and the screen was lovingly heckled to everyone's delight. Some lady in the back was laughing so hard she sounded panicked. At the end of the movie, a crowd emerged from the showing led by some dude from Glee and they flooded down the hall singing Magic Mr. Mistoffelees.

It was really, really fun and my last movie-going experience before the pandemic.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Episode IV Star Wars re-release, went to first midnight showing with my cousin. Needless to say the entire crowd was fired up; had a big line out the door to get in which I pretty much never see going to the theatre, had tons of cosplayers and such, couple guys did a lightsaber fight right before the movie in the front, it was pretty wild without being obnoxious. And say what you want about the changes (though I think Episode IV at least had my favorite change, Han chasing stormtroopers into a dead end turning into chasing them into a hangar full of stormtroopers, that got a huge laugh in the theatre), but the cleaned up graphics were incredible considering my only real memory of the first movie was watching the tape we recorded off HBO on a VCR so clunky you could crush a man's skull with it. Didn't quite hit the same heights with the other two re-releases, but that one was special.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Episode IV Star Wars re-release, went to first midnight showing with my cousin. Needless to say the entire crowd was fired up; had a big line out the door to get in which I pretty much never see going to the theatre, had tons of cosplayers and such, couple guys did a lightsaber fight right before the movie in the front, it was pretty wild without being obnoxious. And say what you want about the changes (though I think Episode IV at least had my favorite change, Han chasing stormtroopers into a dead end turning into chasing them into a hangar full of stormtroopers, that got a huge laugh in the theatre), but the cleaned up graphics were incredible considering my only real memory of the first movie was watching the tape we recorded off HBO on a VCR so clunky you could crush a man's skull with it. Didn't quite hit the same heights with the other two re-releases, but that one was special.

I saw the re-release in this huge NYC theater and it was packed and everyone was into it and it's legit one of my favorite movie memories.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I saw all the rereleases in theaters but I was pretty young and didn’t care about Star Wars at the time. Really wish I remembered anything about it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

in 2012 when yellowstone blew up, that poo poo was wild

went with a bunch of friends, drinking beers, heckling the movie, everyone was and didnt mind the chatter cause its a pretty silly movie, but that yellowstone explosion was loving awesome

also had a really good time and similar experience with the day after tomorrow

i think i got the best heckle when the oil tanker ship was floating through a flooded new york and i yelled "smokers!!!!"

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 7, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I had a friend who did a perfect looney tunes whistle at the climax of King Kong. He also told me he got the dirtiest look when he called out "donk-key" when Judas killed himself and fell on a skeleton of a mule in The Passion of The Christ.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I saw Aliens the night it was released in 1986. The scene where they first get ambushed by aliens and Vasquez yells “Let’s rock!” and everything goes nuts had the theater go crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m at the Purge and the screen turns black - frozen - with one line from the dinner scene “cut off his own penis” playing over and over again.