Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
When I went to see Episode IX: Rise of Skywalker and the entire theater -- including myself -- erupted in laughter when Rey kissed Kylo and groaned when she declared herself a Skywalker. One of my last pre-COVID cinema experiences :unsmith:

kdrudy posted:

The entire experience of watching Snakes on a Plane on opening night in a small theater packed with people who were all in for it.

YES. The epicness of this experience made up for the fact that I was on a not-so-great date at the time.

Das Boo posted:

Cats. The bad one.

A few of us decided to pregame and go see Cats on a Friday night at Burbank AMC. When we showed the clerk our tickets, he kinda chuckled. We figured it was at us going to see this stupid thing a month after release.

The theater was full. Somehow everyone in Burbank had the same idea that night and we ended up at an impromptu rowdy showing. People came in announcing they were high and everyone cheered. Someone loudly asked if anyone else was horny after the Sonic trailer. Everyone sang every song and the screen was lovingly heckled to everyone's delight. Some lady in the back was laughing so hard she sounded panicked. At the end of the movie, a crowd emerged from the showing led by some dude from Glee and they flooded down the hall singing Magic Mr. Mistoffelees.

It was really, really fun and my last movie-going experience before the pandemic.

Oh man, seeing Cats was pretty epic for me too, because despite the fact that I'd gone to see it by myself, it still felt like we were all there with our best friends who we'd all agreed to go see a bad movie with. Everyone laughed at Macavity's (sp?) weird teleport things, and everyone reacted with audible disgust at Jennifer Hudson's gross snotface.

As far as I could tell, the only thing about the movie that was so terrible that no one reacted in any way to it was Francesca Hayward's acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Also seeing The Thing on opening night in 1982 was amazing

The scene with Doc Copper giving Norris the shock paddles and the loving pandemonium that happened had a bunch of people just get up and leave

“You gotta be fuckin kidding”

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Seeing the Matrix as a kid in the cinemas before all the buzz about it was just wall-to-wall epic moments.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Come on keep going...

Not me, but my grandmother told me about being in a movie theater in the middle of a movie when they came on the PA and announced that Pearl Harbor had been attacked.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

As a teen I saw the Tarantino/Rodriguez Grindhouse double feature with my friends in a decently attended theater. Everyone was hooting and hollering at the end of Deathproof, then the commercials started and that sealed the deal.

Also I saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie as a young teen and someone bellowed “Yarrrr” near the end right as Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley were having a romantic moment.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I guess this is sorta epic:

I went to the theater to watch Spring Breakers. A few rows down was a group of teenagers and a mom. About 20 minutes in, they all got up and left, right about when James Franco was forcibly fellating a gun.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
When Star Wars VII came out, my local theater showed episodes I-VI back to back. It was a really fun experience and everyone was excited to see all the old films on the big screen again. One particular memory I have is in the Empire Strikes Back when Luke and Leia kiss. The whole audience just erupted with EWWWW and one guy yelled out THAT'S YOUR SISTER! The whole theater laughed. Also when Anakin and Padme first see each other as adults for the first time and he says how he couldn't forget her or whatever, someone yelled out CREEEEEEPY. It was just funny how everyone kept ripping on the ridiculous parts of the movies. And then we all got let down in the end. 😄

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
When the original Jurassic Park came out, I went to see it with a friend and we sat in the front row, so that was already a pretty fun experience. The theater had it playing on two screens simultaneously, ours and the one next to us. I guess the other screen was like ten seconds behind ours, and someone over there was having such a bad time that we could hear him screaming through the wall. So a bunch of scary moments were immediately followed by the screaming dude next door, and everyone in my screening kept getting jump-scared, then doing anticipatory muffled giggling as we waited for the guy next door to go off.

About 15 years ago, a local theater was doing nostalgia screenings throughout the summer, and The Neverending Story popped up. So my ex and his friend went to a packed late showing full of other millennials all jazzed up to see this super epic movie from our childhood. It was great energy, people were quietly reciting lines together and making jokes about the band Atreyu , etc. Then we got to the Swamp, and suddenly everyone went absolutely still.

No audience noise whatsoever. No shuffling, no crunching popcorn—nothing. I’d never felt such tension in a theater before. It was like every single person in there knew that no jokes were to be made here. And despite us all knowing the ending, no one could do so much as sniffle or the entire theater was going to collectively burst into tears.

Then the moment passed and everyone just collectively kept on…until the end where Aartax reappears and the whole theater erupted into wild cheers.

It was like we all acknowledged and then overcame a little bit of childhood trauma together, and I’ve never felt so close to a crowd of strangers before or since.

Ars Arcanum fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 10, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Went to go see The Last Jedi and when Kylo Ren was shirtless someone very calmly but very audibly went "what the hell?" and I think half the theater starting laughing. It just instantly destroyed any drama in that scene, it was amazing.

On the other hand I went to go see a live Rifftrax and this guy in front of me tried adding his own jokes. After 3 jokes someone goes "shut the gently caress up nerd" and that ended it, thankfully.

Years ago a theater did a retro horror movie night and was playing Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. There were these three morons who also decided to riff on the movie. Most of the rest of us just kept telling them to shut up and they eventually did. At the end of the movie, though, they stood up and said "I hope you all realize you RUINED this experience for us." and then stormed out. I saw them in the lobby talking to some poor guy at the concession stand.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

YeahTubaMike posted:

When I went to see Episode IX: Rise of Skywalker and the entire theater -- including myself -- erupted in laughter when Rey kissed Kylo and groaned when she declared herself a Skywalker. One of my last pre-COVID cinema experiences :unsmith:

My mom in a rare moment of generosity to my dad and I went with us to Episode IX, she whispered to me near the end that she finally recognized what this movie was, it was a Hallmark movie. I whispered back I didn’t think Hallmark movies had a bad guy hurling lightning everywhere, but then the kiss happened and I had to admit she was right, it was a Hallmark film :D. Think I’m a little nicer to the film than most people simply because of that funny memory really.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MadDogMike posted:

My mom in a rare moment of generosity to my dad and I went with us to Episode IX, she whispered to me near the end that she finally recognized what this movie was, it was a Hallmark movie. I whispered back I didn’t think Hallmark movies had a bad guy hurling lightning everywhere, but then the kiss happened and I had to admit she was right, it was a Hallmark film :D. Think I’m a little nicer to the film than most people simply because of that funny memory really.

I don’t remember anakin ever wearing flannel but he did return to a town and try to join the family business.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I saw Koyaanisqatsi on a big screen with the score performed live by the Philip Glass Ensemble. Sadly it was not one of those sing-along events like they do for musicals.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
When Legolas slid down the elephants trunk in Return of the King someone in the audience yelled YABBA DABBA DOO and it was funny as hell

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

I saw Koyaanisqatsi on a big screen with the score performed live by the Philip Glass Ensemble. Sadly it was not one of those sing-along events like they do for musicals.

I actually saw a sing-along showing of that in the Lower East Side a few years back. It was like the Portsmouth Sinfonia but with a bunch of stoned adjunct professors going "dit dit dit.... dit dit ditditditdit."

As for movie experiences, when I was a little kid I had this weird quirk where my legs would suddenly get really stiff when something really exciting happened, and suddenly stick out in front of me if I was sitting. The last time that ever happened to me was when "Miserlou" kicked in at the beginning of Pulp Fiction.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Getting fingerblasted at the midnight screening of MI:4

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Has to be Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

Yoda whips his lightsaber out at the end of the movie and the entire crowd - including my mom, but not 7th-grade me's girlfriend at the time - stood up and started applauding and cheering.

That, or the 4th or 5th time I saw Mad Max Fury Road in theaters, this time at a downtown theater that catered to a lively crowd, months after the original release of the film. I revved my motorcycle at the crowd lined up outside, then I remember they had 32oz PBRs behind the bar for cheap, and people were screaming their heads off during the film...

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Nooner posted:

Getting fingerblasted at the midnight screening of MI:4

you said youd be discrete

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

At the end of The Ring when she climbs through the tv, the whole theater was screaming and a guy jumped out of his chair from the back (no other row behind him, just the dividing corridor) and ran out if the theater

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

When Legolas slid down the elephants trunk in Return of the King someone in the audience yelled YABBA DABBA DOO and it was funny as hell

Haha that owns

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In high school, I offered to stand in line and buy my friends tickets to the midnight showing of Revenge of the Sith if they gave me the ticket money in advance. I guess since it was a parent-approved midnight event, a good chunk of my high school asked me to get them tickets, so we had most of the theater reserved. I told everyone to wear a costume but didn't specify Star Wars, so a lot of kids showed up dressed as hot dogs and gladiators. It was good, dumb fun. And the tickets ended up being matinee priced, so I made a good chunk of money

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Get Out opening weekend. Whole audience going "ooooooooohhhh" when the ball finally dropped, and we really whooped it up at the AIRPORT reveal

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Coaaab posted:

Get Out opening weekend. Whole audience going "ooooooooohhhh" when the ball finally dropped, and we really whooped it up at the AIRPORT reveal

I’m so jealous of this. Saw it at home alone but at least it was bluray and loud as hell.

Edit sorry thought you were talking about Nope for some reason. Either way the same thing happened with get out lol

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
After the silent part in Star Wars: The Last Jedi when the commander of the fleet goes to light speed through the giant Imperial ship, some kid up in the front row shouted "Holy poo poo!" and the whole theater laughed. That was pretty heartwarming!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

At the end of The Ring when she climbs through the tv, the whole theater was screaming and a guy jumped out of his chair from the back (no other row behind him, just the dividing corridor) and ran out if the theater

When a buddy saw that in theaters he ran out of the theater in fear and they gave him a refund. Was especially ridiculous as he was into MMA & teaching martial arts, just couldn’t handle shock scares.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When a buddy saw that in theaters he ran out of the theater in fear and they gave him a refund. Was especially ridiculous as he was into MMA & teaching martial arts, just couldn’t handle shock scares.

For real???

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

i saw snakes on a plane on release day, the entire movie theater chanting along with samuel jackson saying the line and then cheering and screaming after is def like top five cinema moments

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

redshirt posted:

For real???

it was as ridiculous as it sounds, we gave him poo poo about it nonstop. A friend would shout "ringinthecloset! Ringinthecloset!", and he’d be nearly in tears saying "Shut the gently caress up! I lose sleep thinking about that!"

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i was watching star trek whatever "the undiscovered country" because my trekkie sister dragged me to the dollar theatre in the mall, and maybe twenty minutes into the film a bunch of the ceiling panels over the last few rows of seats came crashing down along with a lot of water. they didn't stop the movie or anything but a few minutes later an employee came in and whispered to everyone to move forward a few rows, which we did (there was like 10 people), and we kept watching the movie even as more water starting going around our feet and the air turned frigid and every half-hour or so another few panels at the back would fall down loudly

got a free ticket voucher after the movie was over so i basically got paid to watch a star trek movie and get wet feet :smug:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Fury Road, all of it.
Pacific Rim, all of it
Hot Fuzz, all of it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gravid Topiary posted:

i was watching star trek whatever "the undiscovered country" because my trekkie sister dragged me to the dollar theatre in the mall, and maybe twenty minutes into the film a bunch of the ceiling panels over the last few rows of seats came crashing down along with a lot of water. they didn't stop the movie or anything but a few minutes later an employee came in and whispered to everyone to move forward a few rows, which we did (there was like 10 people), and we kept watching the movie even as more water starting going around our feet and the air turned frigid and every half-hour or so another few panels at the back would fall down loudly

got a free ticket voucher after the movie was over so i basically got paid to watch a star trek movie and get wet feet :smug:

Lol were you able to use the voucher safely?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I went with my film student ex girlfriend to a screening of Window Water Baby Moving (1959) by Stan Brakhage. If you’re not familiar, it’s an unflinching silent color film of his wife giving birth in a tub of water. It’s a heck of a thing to watch on a big screen as it is, but when it started getting real red and bloody, some guy passed out cold and had to be carried out.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

As a teen I saw the Tarantino/Rodriguez Grindhouse double feature with my friends in a decently attended theater. Everyone was hooting and hollering at the end of Deathproof, then the commercials started and that sealed the deal.

Why Grindhouse wasn't a huge success is a mystery to me. A gory throwback horror comedy with Bruce Willis and Kurt Russell from the directors who had just made Kill Bill and Sin City. Was it the running time or something? Because it didn't seem that long when I saw it in the theater.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Randarkman posted:

I mean what counts as "epic" here? That said I've never had a cinematic experience or experience such a pure and unison crowd reaction to a movie scene as the nude fight scene in Borat.

Came here to post the exact same thing. Everyone was losing their goddamn mind, it was incredible.

Edit: Not sure if it counts as an epic "movie moment" but there was that time I was watching Sin City and one of my friends was way too high and had a minor freakout at the part where it was revealed that Kevin was eating people. He got up to leave but we were right at the back and he was too scared to walk down the stairs. I ended up having to help him, just like holding onto his shoulders as we slowly walked down the steps.

At the halfway point he tripped and fell, and took me down with him. It was just the standard shallow theatre aisle steps so it's not like we fell down a flight of stairs or anything, we just ended up in a heap on the ground. However, this happened to be right next to a guy who had left his bucket of popcorn in the aisle beside his seat. As I fell, I ended up catching the bucket with my foot and basically punted it into space; I have a clear memory of seeing it sail over a few rows, popcorn raining down on those below.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 12, 2023

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the vulture scene in the car in the first (good) spider-man movie. michael keaton was loving menacing.
also spider-man, the second (good) one, where he learns to trust his spider-sense in the fight with mysterio.
and when i took my mom to see the star trek reboot, she hadn't been to a movie in 15 years and was all agog at the 3d effects :)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I have two experiences:

1) when we saw Captain America: Winter Soldier, there was the reveal of who Winter Soldier was. It was dead silent in the theatre and some guy shouts enthusiastically "DAT'S BUCKY!"

Idk, something about his enthusiasm and blatant observation was really funny/ charming.

But then the next day my buddy saw the film on a date night with their fiance and had the same exact experience. Godspeed, to both of the Bucky shouters.

2) Seeing Promare in theaters.

I'm a massive animation nerd- that's actually what my degree was in. Obviously, I like anime, and it kind of blows my mind that I can even see it in American theaters. Like, I still feel snubbed that the Cowboy Bebop movie didn't come to Atlanta, despite the fact that the channel that popularized it is based in the loving city.

But Promare did come to a city near me this time. I went to this semi-historic theater in the part of town that's simultaneously really lovely but has all the cool stuff in it (or used to, gentrification is kind of... rich people ruin everything.) The line was out the door. Everyone had grabbed pre-order tickets. It was all a bunch of queer goobers of various ages and demographics, from squealing college freshmen to a few grey- haired people in shirts reading "Oldtaku". It took forever to get in, but very literally no one seemed bored. Everyone was talking like old friends, even outside of who they came with.

There wasn't a single empty seat, but this was one of the very few times I felt actually safe in such an environment. It really was like seeing a movie with a massive group of pals, and I've never had that experience before or since. We were all just so happy to see the silly flashy movie about cute idiots fighting sentient fire.

Promare is a very stupid movie, but it's also very fun and gorgeous to look at. I would say it is style without substance, but really the style is the substance for movies like that.

But I don't think that's what matters to me about it. What matters is the way a crowd of people laughed and gasped at the right times, fully invested in this basic story, and the way the entire theater erupted at the end at the "CPR" scene that was really just an excuse for two cute boys to kiss.

That showing is a jewel in my memory. I hope everyone that was there that night is happy and safe wherever they are, and that they get to see more movies like that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Lost Highway - A friend and I decided to see this in a totally run down old single screen movie theater. It raised the movie atmosphere to insane levels. When we came out, it was thunderstorming and we just stood in the rain recounting what we just saw, and how amazing it was. I read an interview with Lynch and he said for the best experience to see it in a crummy theater with poor sound. He knew what he was doing.

Alien - I was 4 years old. We didn't have AC, and it was super hot, so my mom took me to an air conditioned theater, and the most appropriate movie, I guess, was Alien. The scene when the guy is looking for it in the god drat air ducts and then it showed the dots of movement.. I started screaming and crying. It's probably my favorite movie because of having such a visceral reaction at such a young age.

Aliens - Saw this in the theater as a kid also, and the scene with the forklift and the door opening to face the queen. I almost went deaf from how loud everyone was cheering.

Return of the Jedi - Packed theater. I was front row balcony. The Ewok scenes where they were smashing the AT-STs the entire theater was cheering. It was absolutely insane. I saw the first two movies in the theater as a kid also, but neither had any super duper moments. The AT-AT in Empire that falls down and explodes got some cheers.

In the Mouth of Madness - Packed midnight movie on release. *Everyone* screamed throughout this movie. It was so. god. damned. freaky.

Jackass movies & Borat - Everyone hurt from laughing so much in the theaters. These were all loud crowd movies.

Wing Commander - Everyone saw this for the star wars trailer. But, there is a scene that cuts to another scene, and it was black for one second too long. Someone yelled out "INSERT DISC 2" and it was a riot.

Terminator 2 - I was just old enough to drive, and I saw this by myself at a morning showing. I don't know what it was about this, but I saw it maybe 10 more times over the next week. When I wasn't seeing the movie, I was laying in bed listening to the soundtrack with my eyes closed replaying the movie in my head. It somehow deeply affected me. I must have been going through a mood or something as a kid, and this was my escape. For the ads, I remember them hinting that Arnold was a good guy, but it wasn't explicitly clear why or how, or maybe he wasn't good. I remember the scene where the roses fall and he pulls the shotgun out and there was a moment of "He's going to kill the kid? I thought he was supposed to be good?" and that quickly vanished.

Tron - My dad won some tickets to an opening night showing. We went with some of his friends. The movie cemented my love of computers. My entire career started here, I guess.

The Thing - We were in a hotel for a wedding. My parents went out to go drink, left me in the hotel room by myself and HBO. This movie came on, and the scene with the spider head whatever. FREAKED ME THE gently caress OUT. I loved it.

Ghostbusters - My mom took me to see this because she wanted to see it. I had never heard of it. Had no loving idea. The moment where the ghost librarian scared them all at the beginning, I turned to her and said this movie is AWESOME. I loving LOVED IT.

Major Payne - Went out on a date with a cool rear end goth chick. She wanted to get stoned before we saw the movie, and I smoked too much. I puked, she appologized and gave me sex. God bless you, Damon Wayans.

Windows 98 posted:

I got incredibly stoned and saw Pink Flamingos on a 35mm print at a midnight screening, knowing absolutely nothing about it

I was tripping my balls off with 4 other people and someone put this on. I had no idea what it was. The buttholes. I didn't know what the gently caress.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 12, 2023

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"the dark knight". i know it's a meme now but "i'm a man of my word" gave me chills
and i will NEVER forgive gary oldman for the worst line read of all time. it was the first week of release. theater absolutely packed, and gary oldman, at the climax of the film, says "i know i was there".
not "i know...i was there." not "I KNOW! I WAS THERE!" not anything to indicate the intent of the sentence: that james gordon already knew what batman was telling him because he was at the scene. no, he just made a simple statement of nonsensical fact ruined by incorrect inflection and somehow kept in the final cut: james gordon knows he, james gordon, was at the location"
had the editor gone deaf? did he violently vomit during every other take? it was like a cold, wet slap in the face and completely knocked me out of "the moment" in the film.
but i looked around the completely packed theater and each and every other person was 100% still in the moment. everyone was so still and so quiet and just held by the movie. you could feel the silence. spooky.
gently caress you oldman.
and one time i went to see "the princess bride" and the lady sitting next to me repeated every line with tears in her eyes and her hands grasps to her chest. every. line.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Saw 28 Weeks Later in the theater with a friend, and during a scene where someone is putting their thumbs into someone else's eyesockets, I noticed some weird movement in my peripheral. Turned to see my friend sort of twitching, and then he just slumped down into his seat, totally unconscious. Turns out he handles most gore/blood just fine, but eyes are a trigger.

A different time, I took a girlfriend on a date to see Silent Hill. I ended up falling asleep because it's a garbage movie, only to be woken up to my girlfriend slapping the poo poo out of me, and saying if she had to watch it, so did I. I think she just meant it to be a playful little slap, but that's not what ended up happening.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I saw Atomic Blonde in a full theater and during the 10 minute unbroken fight sequence people in the audience including me slowly started going OOH and hissing at the brutality of it. It was rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Beginning of Up on opening night. Nobody expected it and you could hear a lot of people crying. I wouldnt call it epic but there was something very powerful and affecting about that.

100%. I was 15 when I want to see it with my parents and could not reach my drink because they both had their hands on mine for the whole opening. It's like the only time I've seen my dad cry.