Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Seeing Terminator 2 on the Thursday midnight showing before its opening weekend. Everyone in the audience was super hyped but reined it in just enough that their cheering didn't drown out the dialogue. The only moment I was taken out of the movie was that terrible rear screen projection after they escape the psychiatric hospital in the police car. It also had the Alien 3 teaser that revealed an egg floating in space and a narrator hinting at an Earth-based story. Everyone cheered for that too. We were all blissfully unaware of the rewrites and struggles that were going on behind the scenes, but there was optimism in the air...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did anyone not know Arnold was gonna be the good guy? That would have been an amazing reveal if you weren’t expecting it.

The TV ads I remember definitely showed the Terminator on the motorcycle with John, and making a promise not to kill anyone. I guess if you remembered the first Terminator as a bad guy, but didn't watch much TV it was possible to be surprised by Arnold being the good guy, because they don't show the T-1000 doing any morphing or explicitly evil acts until the hallway shootout. At the same time, Robert Patrick still gives off some icy inhuman vibes the whole time he's searching for John, and seems weirdly clean and efficient compared to how raggedy and desperate Kyle Reese was, so you kind of knew something was up.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

As a teen I saw the Tarantino/Rodriguez Grindhouse double feature with my friends in a decently attended theater. Everyone was hooting and hollering at the end of Deathproof, then the commercials started and that sealed the deal.

Why Grindhouse wasn't a huge success is a mystery to me. A gory throwback horror comedy with Bruce Willis and Kurt Russell from the directors who had just made Kill Bill and Sin City. Was it the running time or something? Because it didn't seem that long when I saw it in the theater.