Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
We all thought there was a thread like this already, but there wasn't. So, here it is.

:filez: RULE: DO NOT DISCUSS WHERE TO OBTAIN ROMS BECAUSE THAT'S A BIG NO NO:filez:

Useful links:
Emulation General wiki: this wiki lists emulators for every system you can imagine, as well as tutorials about setting up emulators, shaders, netplay etc
Romhacking.net: for all your romhacks & fan translation needs

Netplay:
Most emulators rely on direct p2p connections between players to emulate couch co-op. This can be fiddly and requires you to understand the arcane magic of port forwarding. However, there's a bunch of options that let you set up multiplayer lobbies for certain games or systems. These are:

1. Fightcade for arcade and (some) console titles
2. XLink Kai for PS2/PS3/PSP/Xbox/360/Gamecube LAN-based games
3. Wiimfii for Nintendo Wii and DS games that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
4. Insignia for playing games that used Xbox Live on the original Xbox

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The OP is a bit bare so if anyone has anything to expand it with just lmk i guess

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Is the :filez: thing still even applicable in 2023? Especially since the main source of them these days is a DMCA-resistant website.

I have a decent amount of knowledge about RetroArch operation. An effortpost about that would probably be useful, as it is an infamously inscrutable clump of software. But I'm currently on vacation until next week and I'm not going to tackle that project on my phone.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Ofecks posted:

Is the :filez: thing still even applicable in 2023? Especially since the main source of them these days is a DMCA-resistant website.

I got in touch with the mods before posting this thread and was asked to put the notice in. I figure anyone online enough to still use SA in 2023 has the requisite knowledge anyway.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ofecks posted:

Is the :filez: thing still even applicable in 2023?

Gary Bowser

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
god i love emulation

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RetroAchievements is an entertaining system/site, though I'm not much of an achievement hunter, I just like showing off what I've beaten and see random numbers go up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
delete this thread within 48 hours

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's pretty wonderful just how far PCSX2 has come in the last year or so, shaking off about a decade of tech debt and adding fixes and improvements left and right.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Absolutely yeah

Good riddence to the plugin system

gently caress they even fixed the battlefield 2 "can't see more than 1/4th of the screen because DICE are insane and made the game in a highly specific way" issue

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Amen, still have horrible memories of tracking down plugins that actually worked for Project 64 back in the day. Though at least Google functioned then. I set my Dolphinbar up with my living room PC today since I can't sleep and was trying to figure out why I was getting no sound. Trying to hunt down anything actually related to the specific issue was a nightmare with every page being full of AI generated SEO poo poo.

Eventually it turned out Dolphin was trying to output audio through my CPU's integrated graphics. Computers are idiots. Though I can now play Mario Galaxy with an actual Wiimote and nunchuk so I'm happy.

Been thinking a bit lately about whether we've reached the possible end point of emulation, from the PS4 era onward most games come out on PC bar a handful of console exclusives. PS3 and Xbox 360 emulation is slowly stabilising (Xenia devs hijacking audio drivers to play ear damaging sounds if they detect ISO files notwithstanding) and PS4 emulation would be good for what, 3-4 games? The only one most people care about being Bloodborne judging from how excited people get whenever one of the multiple PS4 emulators in development reports that they got Bloodborne to boot before going silent again for months.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Absolutely yeah

gently caress they even fixed the battlefield 2 "can't see more than 1/4th of the screen because DICE are insane and made the game in a highly specific way" issue

Dice were just the best at insane game engine development. It's a real shame that EA has apparently burned all the talent out of them now.

njsykora posted:

Amen, still have horrible memories of tracking down plugins that actually worked for Project 64 back in the day. Though at least Google functioned then.

That brings back memories! Changing plugins in Project64 to find the right combination to make the game vaguely playable then having to do it all over again when you load up a different game. :allears:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The Kins posted:

It's pretty wonderful just how far PCSX2 has come in the last year or so, shaking off about a decade of tech debt and adding fixes and improvements left and right.

Yeah right around the time they got the DuckStation/Dolphin UI their development seems to have really kicked into high gear. I can't remember the last time I launched it without being prompted for an update.

I'm just waiting for the moment they fix the whole "fiddle with clamping to make license tests work on Gran Turismo 4 but ONLY the license tests" thing

(Actually, I'm waiting for the moment it - and RPCS3, for that matter - lets me hook up my MIDI drum set so I can play Rock Band properly)

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 8, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

Been thinking a bit lately about whether we've reached the possible end point of emulation, from the PS4 era onward most games come out on PC bar a handful of console exclusives. PS3 and Xbox 360 emulation is slowly stabilising (Xenia devs hijacking audio drivers to play ear damaging sounds if they detect ISO files notwithstanding) and PS4 emulation would be good for what, 3-4 games? The only one most people care about being Bloodborne judging from how excited people get whenever one of the multiple PS4 emulators in development reports that they got Bloodborne to boot before going silent again for months.
Some RPCS3 devs are making baby steps on tackling PS4. That'll be the one to watch, most likely.

I suspect with the PC-ification of hardware we'll see a gradual switch from full-fledged emulation to WINE-style compatibility layers.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

njsykora posted:

Been thinking a bit lately about whether we've reached the possible end point of emulation, from the PS4 era onward most games come out on PC bar a handful of console exclusives.

As long as Nintendo keeps being Nintendo (and, considering the commercial benefits of their single-platform approach, I don't see why they'd stop), I don't think we have to worry too much about emulation becoming a dying art. Tears of the Kingdom alone has probably driven more people to emulation than any other exclusive in the past decade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

lost in postation posted:

As long as Nintendo keeps being Nintendo (and, considering the commercial benefits of their single-platform approach, I don't see why they'd stop), I don't think we have to worry too much about emulation becoming a dying art. Tears of the Kingdom alone has probably driven more people to emulation than any other exclusive in the past decade.

I tried emulating TOTK and thought it sucked tbh, so many broken textures and poo poo visible through terrain. I expect there's a mod to fix that but the list of mods for it is longer than I'm willing to go through when I can just play it on the Switch with none of those headaches.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ofecks posted:

The rule of thumb that we generally apply these days is that it's fine to acknowledge that there are tons of romsets on archive.org, just don't direct link them in the forums.

Edit: Use common sense though and don't talk about obtaining ROMs for stuff that's still actively being sold/current gen - but that shouldn't really be the purview of the Retro forum anyway.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 8, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Been havin a gay old time in PSP2i, courtesy of PPSSPP.

Wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much because it seemed fairly simple, and it's an action game on the PSP, but it's got the fundamentals of a good treadmill down (number one ingredient being the promise of unlocking costumes) and the controls are well thought out.

And with the magic of emulation, I can cheat in dual stick controls (it's not even a button remap, somehow the right stick hacks into camera control directly)

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much because it seemed fairly simple, and it's an action game on the PSP, but it's got the fundamentals of a good treadmill down (number one ingredient being the promise of unlocking costumes) and the controls are well thought out.

And with the magic of emulation, I can cheat in dual stick controls (it's not even a button remap, somehow the right stick hacks into camera control directly)

Playing those games makes me realise how low-res the fonts were back in the day and how much that contributed to the aesthetic. I guess that's why modern re-releases of games from that era, like the Phoenix Wright collection, feel a bit bland and soulless.

I wonder how that screenshot would look like with the zfast_lcd shader.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Rinkles posted:

Being able to sneak in nearly any control you desire (sans proper light gunning currently) is one of the best bits of emulation.
Up to jump in Db9 computer games? Not any more! Hell, I have Kings Field US 1 and 2 nicely set up to effectively be modern fps console control in Duckstation.

Only problem is there are tons of emulators on tons of systems and they don't all work as we might want or not work on our chosen slack lord platform period. (Android tablet and PS Vita are my go to emulation devices.)

Then you have the insane morass that is X86box. Unless you enjoy self compiling it maybe has one or two releases a year. Much like PS3 emulation you kinda need a beefy rig and have some idea wtf you are doing to get things going. (Which is still easier than x86 OSX somehow. Maybe I'm missing something though.) But if you want to get your Win 9x on but with some actual gaming hardware options on a modern PC you really have little choice.

(One day I now dream of them putting the Apple II card LGR talked about a few months back into it. Decent looking Apple ii color mode? Apparently its possible! Without even composite artifacts n stuff which I'm still not sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me.)

But yeah modern emulation is pretty great and nearly every platform has one or two decent mostly working programs that are free. We are mostly away from the era of Richard Bannister and Magic Engine now.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Captain Rufus posted:

(sans proper light gunning currently)

Have you seen this? https://sindenlightgun.com/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

fyi there's a texture replacement pack for PSP2i that you can use instead of that gross rear end brz filter https://psp2i.wiki/w/PSP2i_Texture_Restoration

as for the right stick thing - psp devkits used a DS3 so a few games actually poll for a right stick input. and then you have weird cases like Resistance Retribution where you can connect a DS3 and have a completely different control scheme that doesn't rely on lock-on aiming

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

fyi there's a texture replacement pack for PSP2i that you can use instead of that gross rear end brz filter https://psp2i.wiki/w/PSP2i_Texture_Restoration

I actually turned on texture upscaling after installing the texture pack. Since it's not finished, it doesn't cover everything, and pixelated textures don't look great next to higher definition ones, but they're often simple enough that that they look fine upscaled (the artstyle lends itself to this, imo).

I hate xbrz on the ui (or pixel graphics), but I don't think you can use it selectively.

kirbysuperstar posted:

as for the right stick thing - psp devkits used a DS3 so a few games actually poll for a right stick input.

Neat, didn't know that.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 8, 2023

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

What does one use to control PSP games on PSTV?

njsykora posted:

PS3 and Xbox 360 emulation is slowly stabilising (Xenia devs hijacking audio drivers to play ear damaging sounds if they detect ISO files notwithstanding)

Excuse me, what? Why would they do that? Reminds me of needing to install Daemon Tools and mount CD images to use with Magic Engine back in the day (it didn't load ISOs directly for some inexplicable reason).

What does the Switch's Tegra X1 fall under, in terms of gaming platforms being mostly PC-based now? Was surprised to hear upthread that Switch emulation is actually a thing.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 8, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Ofecks posted:

What does one use to control PSP games on PSTV?

DS3 or DS4, dealer's choice.

Ofecks posted:

Excuse me, what? Why would they do that? Reminds me of needing to install Daemon Tools and mount CD images to use with Magic Engine back in the day (it didn't load ISOs directly for some inexplicable reason).

Their official announcement was:

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 8, 2023

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
How is Saturn emulation nowadays?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pretty good on the whole

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Turns out there was a PSP2i UI project, but it's set to private after the creator got harassed cause the internet

I'm guessing no one here happens to have a back up copy?

Here's the Bing cached Git repository
https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=h...m7pBs30qf9duZXe

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the rat fandom posted:

How is Saturn emulation nowadays?

Some games will require the Mednafen emulator, which is not the most user friendly thing. It doesn't come with a GUI, and the available front ends (like mednaffe) only help so much. E.g., possibly because I'm dumb, but just figuring how to map buttons onto a controller took way too long.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Some games will require the Mednafen emulator
Bizhawk has a reasonably up to date version of Mednafen’s Saturn emulator, IIRC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Turns out there was a PSP2i UI project, but it's set to private after the creator got harassed cause the internet

I'm guessing no one here happens to have a back up copy?

Here's the Bing cached Git repository
https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=h...m7pBs30qf9duZXe

It's not the more recent ones on that repo but I do actually have one with a bunch of UI stuff saved, better than nothing: https://bayfiles.com/U2v7w17fzc/NPJH50332_7z

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Kins posted:

Bizhawk has a reasonably up to date version of Mednafen’s Saturn emulator, IIRC.

I'll try it out next time. The game I was interested in was just a simple visual novel, but it wouldn't run in any of the other emulators I tried.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not the more recent ones on that repo but I do actually have one with a bunch of UI stuff saved, better than nothing: https://bayfiles.com/U2v7w17fzc/NPJH50332_7z

Thanks!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Does BizHawk have a true fullscreen mode now? I used to use it, but borderless windowed adds a few frames of latency. I got around that by disabling Aero on Win7 but that was no longer possible in Win10, so I switched to RetroArch when I built my current PC in 2017.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Any emulator setups that have any kind of multiparty matchmaking/lobby? I've emulated a lot but never multiplayer.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

If you strictly want lobbies, then your options are:

1. Fightcade for arcade and (some) console titles
2. XLink Kai for PS2/Xbox/Gamecube LAN-based games
3. Wiimfii for Nintendo Wii and DS games that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
4. Insignia for playing games that used Xbox Live on the original Xbox

Most other methods, such as the netplay in Dolphin or RetroArch will require you to directly connect to the other player. This will require you to set up port forwarding (unless you're on Dolphin, which has a workaround)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How do I get PCSX2 games to run smoothly at 60 fps? I'm trying to play Crash of the Titans and while it runs at locked 60 after I locked it to 60 with RTSS it still feels like it's below 30 at all times...
My computer is 2070 Super and 3700X and I've tried both DX11 and OpenGL. It's my first time using any emulator so I'm kinda clueless

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Did the game run at 60 originally? If it was 30 locked on PS2 it’ll be locked 30 in PCSX2 unless you use a mod.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sininu posted:

How do I get PCSX2 games to run smoothly at 60 fps? I'm trying to play Crash of the Titans and while it runs at locked 60 after I locked it to 60 with RTSS it still feels like it's below 30 at all times...
My computer is 2070 Super and 3700X and I've tried both DX11 and OpenGL. It's my first time using any emulator so I'm kinda clueless

Depends on the game. There's a thread in the PCSX2 forums with a running list of codes for games you can insert into .pnach files.

https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-60-fps-codes

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

njsykora posted:

Did the game run at 60 originally? If it was 30 locked on PS2 it’ll be locked 30 in PCSX2 unless you use a mod.

I'm not sure, but what I found online says that the game ran at 30 on everything but the Wii. My friend sent me the emulator with its settings and told me he didn't install any mods so idk how it runs at smooth 60 fps on his way worse laptop hardware. I probably should reset the settings and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I sent a friend a video of Duckstation doing 4k PS1 emulation like a year ago and either he saw it and shrugged it off or didn't watch it. This morning he sent me a bunch of instagram videos of a guy using Duckstation to show before and after the upscaling asking if it was real. That's my emulation story for today.