Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

coconono posted:

The retroarch ui that’s just like ps3 UI is the best imo. Except for the cheat searcher menu

I dunno why everyone has a problem with it. This is what I use and it's great and straightforward.

You got lists, you got a controller, you use the controller to go through the lists, the end.

There are a few rough imperfections, like how you have to press a button on a game, then press play instead of being able to just press the button once and go right into the game. Or a few other options being in stupid places. But otherwise, I'm not sure what else you'd want that you'd expect from it. If you want something more than just playlists of games at that point you should probably be using another frontend on top of everything.

For a controller driven UI, I mean, what do you want besides a copy of the ps3 UI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BrainDance posted:

I dunno why everyone has a problem with it. This is what I use and it's great and straightforward.

You got lists, you got a controller, you use the controller to go through the lists, the end.

There are a few rough imperfections, like how you have to press a button on a game, then press play instead of being able to just press the button once and go right into the game. Or a few other options being in stupid places. But otherwise, I'm not sure what else you'd want that you'd expect from it. If you want something more than just playlists of games at that point you should probably be using another frontend on top of everything.

For a controller driven UI, I mean, what do you want besides a copy of the ps3 UI?

A UI that works well for both a controller and a mouse? And don't say they don't need to support using a mouse. A mouse is a lot quicker when you are configuring.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Oh no, I don’t want RA to switch over, I want more emulators to adopt the DuckStation UI style so I never have to look at RA again

Understandable. Have a pleasant day ma’am.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
https://github.com/TVsIan/MAMEMapper

Got my MAME batch mapping program in what I consider a presentable state. The keyboard-based inputs are mostly untested since I don't have an ipac setup, but in theory they should work.

There's also a preconfigured ctrlr file for xinput controllers you can try without actually using the program.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
After messing around with Emudeck for windows I went back to launchbox because it's much faster to load and I really appreciate the ability to add autohotkey scripts on a per emulator basis.

The ability to just put a script in to make button 10 send F9 for citra to swap screens on the stand alone emulator for example is awesome since you generally can't assign buttons to hotkeys in citra for some dumb reason.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm glad our long nightmare of not having RetroAchievements for GameCube games is officially coming to a close

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

a weird console called Sega AI got an emulator https://www.smspower.org/SegaAI/Index. Its mostly educational software.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A UI that works well for both a controller and a mouse? And don't say they don't need to support using a mouse. A mouse is a lot quicker when you are configuring.

They don't need to support using a mouse...

But for real, I'm skeptical that a mouse is actually quicker when configuring it than just using a keyboard, especially given how many options RetroArch has (going through menus and submenus with a keyboard or controller is much faster than doing it with a mouse.) Then, how much time are you actually spending configuring it?

It takes like 10 minutes max? The most important thing for the UI is getting to your games. The PS3 knockoff UI works just fine for that. People get lost because they're not familiar with the options, but that's just how it is with complicated software, just read a guide and learn how it works (I actually wrote one, mostly to help a friend who was emulator illeterate. He read it, understood what's going on from it, bam sets up RetroArch on every device he owns just fine. I'd link it but my url has my real name in it)

You do a mouse focused UI and suddenly it sucks for people using a keyboard or controller. You make some compromise UI and nobodies happy. Launchbox I think handles this by having two completely different UIs which, sure, but that's a big ask.

RetroArch's UI works well for people sitting on a couch with a controller in their hand and given how retro videogames are played, makes the most sense to me. For what I use RetroArch on the most, (couch with a controller in my hand) mouse driven UI's are the most annoying, I gotta use the trackpad on this keyboard I have to click on things and go through menus on a screen far away, even hooking up a normal mouse it's just much slower.

I haven't seen a genuinely good compromise UI.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

a weird console called Sega AI got an emulator https://www.smspower.org/SegaAI/Index. Its mostly educational software.

I am always surprised when a console pops up I've never heard of. Like, I've gone out looking for this stuff, and somehow it just completely avoids mention anywhere besides being made by literally Sega.

That actually makes me think speaking of kinda obscure consoles, does CD-I even have an emulator? Like a really workable one? 2 of the 3 Zelda CD-I games have been remade for PC, but 1 of them hasn't.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

BrainDance posted:

That actually makes me think speaking of kinda obscure consoles, does CD-I even have an emulator? Like a really workable one? 2 of the 3 Zelda CD-I games have been remade for PC, but 1 of them hasn't.

MAME is apparently usable-ish for CD-i emulation. A significant number of games required a hardware MPEG decoder add-on which isn't emulated by anything at the moment, but none of the Zelda games did.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

For the longest drat time the only usable Philips CD-i emulator was commercial and so I think a lot of people just forgot about it. People might be willing to lay down 5 bucks for an emulator on android these days but I don’t think it was ever deemed appropriate to charge for one on Windows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TinyCDI is the only one I know of that works but its insanely fiddly to mess with but once you do, you can find out how rear end the zelda games really are

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Thuryl posted:

MAME is apparently usable-ish for CD-i emulation. A significant number of games required a hardware MPEG decoder add-on which isn't emulated by anything at the moment, but none of the Zelda games did.

Yeah, MAME is functional, and somebody split off the MAME driver into a Retroarch core called SameCDI if you want to go that route.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

coconono posted:

TinyCDI is the only one I know of that works but its insanely fiddly to mess with but once you do, you can find out how rear end the zelda games really are

Why would anyone emulate the zelda CDI games when they could play the pretty okay by comparison remakes?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bbcisdabomb posted:

Why would anyone emulate the zelda CDI games when they could play the pretty okay by comparison remakes?

why would anyone build a mister for systems where all the good games have had HD remakes? I don't make the rules, homie.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there a remake of Zelda's Adventure? I only knew about the Wand of Gamelon remake and the Faces of Evil remake.

There's a Game Boy remake which is cool as hell but, a little too far away from the authentic CD-I experience.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz7azMWM6bk

:eyepop:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

To my knowledge online play has worked in RPCS3 for a while. Lots of people play on the Demons Souls private server with it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i did it in DeS about a year ago and it was neat, though what was neater was save states because I really couldn't be bothered with running through the swamp more than twice

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

emSparkly posted:

To my knowledge online play has worked in RPCS3 for a while. Lots of people play on the Demons Souls private server with it.

I mean...yeah lol?? The video is by the team and is just an update showing off improvements that mimic PSN and even how some have working leaderboards

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I’ve been really impressed by the leaps in original Xbox and ps3 emulation lately. Neither is good enough to fully replace the consoles yet but they’re getting there faster than I figured.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Is there a foolproof way to eliminate audio crackling in SNES emulators? It happens across various emulators, standalone, retroarch cores, vsync on, vsync off, regardless of audio buffer size or latency, across different sync methods.

From what I understand this has to do with the fact that the SNES runs at 60.01hz, which is extremely cursed.

I'm using an 144hz monitor and a 5800x3D, so I believe I can rule them out as potential problems.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Stink Terios posted:

From what I understand this has to do with the fact that the SNES runs at 60.01hz, which is extremely cursed.

Oh yeah, maybe. According to libretro docs, it's 60.0988118623hz. NES is almost identical at ~60.10hz. Does it also happen with NES emulation?

Try these:
- In RetroArch, go to Settings | Video | Output and set the Vertical Refresh Rate to 60.000hz. Turn off Automatic Refresh Rate Switch if it's on. Turn Vsync on and enable Hard GPU Sync if you use the OGL or DX renderer. That should force whichever core you run to do exactly 60hz when you next load a game.
- If that doesn't work, try forcing your GPU to 60hz in the Nvidia/AMD control panel (I don't use AMD cards but I assume they have something similar where you can adjust global settings) before you start an emulator. I've never had a high-refresh-rate monitor so I don't know if that's possible with yours.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 4, 2024

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr E posted:

I’ve been really impressed by the leaps in original Xbox and ps3 emulation lately. Neither is good enough to fully replace the consoles yet but they’re getting there faster than I figured.

Yeah I was able to play the good Superman Xbox game on my batocera rig but the godfather game had some kinda weird visual artifacts. Like some kind of vertex inversion.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Are there that many good original xbox games that didn't get a PC port at this point?

I know that's the reason Xbox 360 emulator is making like zero progress, its not needed. (I just want to play Lost Odyssey which sounds like it soon might be able to without issues, but it still has one game-breaking bug.)

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 4, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Are there that many good original xbox games that didn't get a PC port at this point?

Crimson Skies (different to the earlier PC game), both MechAssaults, Unreal Championship 2, basically any JP game that was only on Xbox (SMT NINE, NUDE, Steel Batallion I guess lol), there's some games that had absolutely dire PC ports where emulating them would be a lot better such as Enter the Matrix..so yeah there's a fair few out there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jet Set Radio Future, the PGR games, Gun Valkyrie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Most of the games were multiplatform and it doesn't matter that the OG Xbox had more powerful hardware, because upscaling is a thing these days. Might as well go for the emulator that sees more use/support.

When it comes to OG Xbox games that are stuck on there, here is my list of games I would want to revisit or check out. A checkmark means they are backwards compatible right now. I have a lot of racing games on here because I feel like they are usually a good sign of the times when it comes to the hardware/graphics (even tho I don't like the genre).

Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding
Amped 2
Azurik: Rise of Perathia (definitely not great, just one of those really early launch games)
✓Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space
✓Breakdown
✓Conker: Live & Reloaded (remake)
✓Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
✓Dead Or Alive 3
✓Dead Or Alive Ultimate (remade/enhanced 1+2)
Dino Crisis 3
Forza Motersport
✓Gunvalkyrie
Jet Set Radio Future
Magatama (JP only, no idea about how it plays)
MechAssault
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
Midtown Madness 3
Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit (From Software mech game)
✓Panzer Dragoon Orta
Project Gotham Racing 1
Project Gotham Racing 2
✓Otogi: Myth of Demons (From Software)
✓Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (ditto)
✓Panzer Dragoon Orta
RalliSport Challenge 2
Sega GT 2002
Shin Megami Tensei NINE (JP only)
ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth
✓Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 4, 2024

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Oh yeah, maybe. According to libretro docs, it's 60.0988118623hz. NES is almost identical at ~60.10hz. Does it also happen with NES emulation?

Try these:
- In RetroArch, go to Settings | Video | Output and set the Vertical Refresh Rate to 60.000hz. Turn off Automatic Refresh Rate Switch if it's on. Turn Vsync on and enable Hard GPU Sync if you use the OGL or DX renderer. That should force whichever core you run to do exactly 60hz when you next load a game.
- If that doesn't work, try forcing your GPU to 60hz in the Nvidia/AMD control panel (I don't use AMD cards but I assume they have something similar where you can adjust global settings) before you start an emulator. I've never had a high-refresh-rate monitor so I don't know if that's possible with yours.

Didn't work, sadly. Even forcing 60hz through RTSS doesn't remove the crackling. Second option would be too annoying to do every time I wanted to play anyway.

e: NES works just fine.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 4, 2024

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Stink Terios posted:

Didn't work, sadly. Even forcing 60hz through RTSS doesn't remove the crackling. Second option would be too annoying to do every time I wanted to play anyway.

e: NES works just fine.

are you using retroarch? What sound driver are you using?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

HKR posted:

are you using retroarch? What sound driver are you using?

Like I said, I tried 3 different bsnes cores on retroarch(regular, widescreen, mercury-performance), a SNES9x core, AND the standalone versions of bsnes and SNES9x.
ALL OF THEM crackle. Tried every sound driver too, with different buffer lenghts.

My system clears LatencyMon as well.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Stink Terios posted:

Like I said, I tried 3 different bsnes cores on retroarch(regular, widescreen, mercury-performance), a SNES9x core, AND the standalone versions of bsnes and SNES9x.
ALL OF THEM crackle. Tried every sound driver too, with different buffer lenghts.

My system clears LatencyMon as well.

I had this exact issue and the solution was to install a direct x 9 run time to enable xaudio in retroarch, which was removed from windows in favor of WASAPI. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038780&perpage=40&noseen=1#post536427942

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

HKR posted:

I had this exact issue and the solution was to install a direct x 9 run time to enable xaudio in retroarch, which was removed from windows in favor of WASAPI. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038780&perpage=40&noseen=1#post536427942

I'm on Windows 10 so xaudio is available and crackling as much as the other drivers.

e: I DO use an USB DAC though. I wonder if that has anything to do with it somehow.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 5, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BrainDance posted:

MAME covers most of the Big Ticket games with the least trouble. It doesn't (currently) support the Digital Video Card, though, so for some games like Atlantis: The Last Resort, you're gonna have to use CD-i Emulator, which suffers from irregular updates, time-limited beta builds and also a surprisingly hefty price tag (€25!).

Same_CDI is the MAME RetroArch core cut-down to just the CD-I emulator core for reasons. TinyCDI is an early experimental CDI emulator based on the MAME infrastructure from back in 2009, so it's probably not too useful in the here and now.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
The stable version of Retrobat V6 is out.

So far it feels a lot smoother.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just downloaded Retrobat. It seems good so far, but the true test is how it handles with 10k+ roms in it. We will see. It seems better than emudeck for windows at this point though.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Anyone got a fix for FMV issues with PCSX2? I played some of Clock Tower 3 last night and had very odd distortions in the FMV. Weird outlines appearing in stuff, sometimes even looking like I was watching a 3d movie without glasses. Every FMV ends with a second or two of a freezeframe and when the freeze happens it looks fine. Real time gameplay has no issues I as far as I can tell.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fighting Elegy posted:

Anyone got a fix for FMV issues with PCSX2? I played some of Clock Tower 3 last night and had very odd distortions in the FMV. Weird outlines appearing in stuff, sometimes even looking like I was watching a 3d movie without glasses. Every FMV ends with a second or two of a freezeframe and when the freeze happens it looks fine. Real time gameplay has no issues I as far as I can tell.

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/9924

for some reason it's not on the wiki page, enabling Software Render for FMV should work around it

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I was wrestling with RetroArch and my controller the other day, and it got me looking at other Emulators. But the biggest problem is well, can you even transfer save files between different emulators? I tried out bizhawk and was annoyed I couldn't setup the DS screens the way I wanted, and it wouldn't let me use my controller the way I wanted either, but those could probably be solved. But if I can't transfer saves there'd be no point.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That depends on what format each emulator uses for their save files. I have a flashcart for the DS and a 3DS with custom firmware running TwilightMenu/nds-bootstrap. Both use .sav files and so I can transfer my progress between the two.

Here is a converter that might help if both formats are different: https://www.save-editor.com/tools/wse_ds_save_converter.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Im holding out hope that Gran Turismo 6 will be playable on RPCS3 in the near future because it went from running poorly with bad visual bugs, regardless of settings/drivers, to now just crashing at startup :mad:

Demon's Souls still looks great