Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

the emulation moment we've all waited for is upon us

https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/status/1760020044069908912?s=20

We actually had this in our house for a short time, along with the Disney Cartoon Arcade tape. I have a vague memory of seeing the ghosts pop up on screen during the haunted house section but beyond that my only other memory of the console is finding it in a box in our basement when I was about 10 or so and wondering what the hell it was

E: this odd thing here:

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Good soup! posted:

We actually had this in our house for a short time, along with the Disney Cartoon Arcade tape. I have a vague memory of seeing the ghosts pop up on screen during the haunted house section but beyond that my only other memory of the console is finding it in a box in our basement when I was about 10 or so and wondering what the hell it was

That controller is batshit. Looks like the Dreamcast fishing controller.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Those VHS tapes game consoles were just a comically bad idea lol

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Good soup! posted:

Those VHS tapes game consoles were just a comically bad idea lol

but then we never would have gotten this masterpiece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-4ZsA8G4vc&t=157s

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Good soup! posted:

that's a midi controller project

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIv0AuKe01A

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The Citra devs pulled all their source code and releases too.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Same devs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It would be nice if Nintendo or some other big console player was cool about diy projects. Just sell me the OS license and let me figure out my hardware.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

maybe nintendo should release a system too powerful to be emulated by contemporary pcs :smug:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Less Fat Luke posted:

There are source packages in major linux distributions and already a few forks.

I think, similar to pcsx and pcsxr, someone may loosely maintain a fork that can be built on modern systems. Maybe not Windows, MacOS or Android though.

It'll just take time to settle on what fork ends up being more stable. It might be associated with libretro though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

coconono posted:

It would be nice if Nintendo or some other big console player was cool about diy projects. Just sell me the OS license and let me figure out my hardware.

In this specific case Yuzu was selling access to pre-release game updates for their emulator so it's a bit different than just attacking emulation, though of course who knows where Nintendo goes from here. I only emulate Bayonetta 2 because it runs better on emulator and decided to not bother with pretty much any other game til Switch was EOL but losing 3DS stuff sucks even tho I have a 3DS because there's no way to buy the games digitally anymore and console/game prices are not exactly great right now.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

spacebard posted:

There are source packages in major linux distributions and already a few forks.

I think, similar to pcsx and pcsxr, someone may loosely maintain a fork that can be built on modern systems. Maybe not Windows, MacOS or Android though.

It'll just take time to settle on what fork ends up being more stable. It might be associated with libretro though.

I suspect that giving Nintendo ownership of everything Yuzu/Citra related will give Nintendo the legal (or pretense of legality) to DCMA all those forks.

Mr E posted:

I only emulate Bayonetta 2 because it runs better on emulator

I bought Tears of the Kingdom, and was shocked at how poo poo it ran on the Switch. It's literally what made me install Yuzu.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crackbone posted:

I bought Tears of the Kingdom, and was shocked at how poo poo it ran on the Switch. It's literally what made me install Yuzu.

It runs at 30fps. It runs better than Breath of the Wild did.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Crackbone posted:

I suspect that giving Nintendo ownership of everything Yuzu/Citra related will give Nintendo the legal (or pretense of legality) to DCMA all those forks.
The license under with Yuzu and Citra were distributed is not retroactively revocable. So even if Nintendo owns Copyrights to those emulators now, others still have a valid license to use and distribute them.

Now they may still DMCA the forks for whatever reason because they're Nintendo and that's what they do, but there's a straightforward defense against any claims of infringement with the emulators themselves.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mr E posted:

but losing 3DS stuff sucks even tho I have a 3DS because there's no way to buy the games digitally anymore and console/game prices are not exactly great right now.

3DS games are available via :filez:, and 3DS hardware can play them (and old DS) via CFW. I'm considering picking up a 3DS eventually for that purpose.

I'm not sure I agree with axeing Citra because Nintendo ended 3DS support years ago. A paywalled emulator for a current console still on the market? That poo poo shouldn't exist at all.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

njsykora posted:

It runs at 30fps. It runs better than Breath of the Wild did.

That doesn’t make the bad dynamic upscale, lack of AA, and low quality shadows better.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ofecks posted:

3DS games are available via :filez:, and 3DS hardware can play them (and old DS) via CFW. I'm considering picking up a 3DS eventually for that purpose.

I understand that and have a new 3DS XL and DSi XL specifically because I don't find emulating a dual screen thing to feel very good, but right now the 3DS family is all incredibly overpriced on eBay and the like. I think JP consoles are cheaper overall but still overpriced for how popular the console was and how many are out there. It does look like the prices are starting to come down at least, though, which is good.

I definitely notice other games having slowdown and not having a consistent 30 FPS on Switch but those don't bother me near as much as something like a character action game like Bayo 2 having slowdown and inconsistent FPS. I'll definitely switch over to emulating everything at some point but at least for now I'll stick with buying games on Switch to play on there tho it wasn't too hard to get my Bayo 2 game and save over to PC since my Switch is old enough to hack.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Crackbone posted:

Who said Nintendo is getting the copyright? That seems like a really weird idea to me, I don’t see how that would work.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Who said Nintendo is getting the copyright? That seems like a really weird idea to me, I don’t see how that would work.

Yeah sorry, I misread it. Nintendo took ownership of the domain and some other specific stuff, but the code was not part of that. I conflated what Nintendo got.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

time for everyone involved with yuzu to move onto a ps4 emulator so i can play bloodborne at 60 fps

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Tropic Haze LLC owes Nintendo $2.4 million, which they clearly don't have. If the settlement itself doesn't include transfer of assets, then Nintendo will inevitably acquire them when Tropic Haze declares bankruptcy.

Whether Nintendo picks up Tropic Haze's assets (and Copyrights) is mostly irrelevant since the settlement requires shutdown of the project.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Tropic Haze LLC owes Nintendo $2.4 million, which they clearly don't have. If the settlement itself doesn't include transfer of assets, then Nintendo will inevitably acquire them when Tropic Haze declares bankruptcy.

Whether Nintendo picks up Tropic Haze's assets (and Copyrights) is mostly irrelevant since the settlement requires shutdown of the project.

The code is under the GPL isn't it? It's relevant because anyone else can pick it up and make a new version.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Substandard posted:

The code is under the GPL isn't it? It's relevant because anyone else can pick it up and make a new version.
They could, yes, but the language Nintendo is trying to have added to the settlement is gunning to instant-shutdown any forks.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They could, yes, but the language Nintendo is trying to have added to the settlement is gunning to instant-shutdown any forks.

If its actually GPL, I don't think there is actually a way for Nintendo to do that, especially considering its a settlement. They can make all the claims they want about how its illegal but GPL can't be revoked.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If its actually GPL, I don't think there is actually a way for Nintendo to do that, especially considering its a settlement.
It wouldn't be a claim based on infringement, but one based on anti-circumvention, because the original authors admitted its purpose is anti-circumvention.

What Nintendo is trying to do here is certainly a reach, but that's what they're trying to do.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

I for one am shocked …
Shocked that our current generation emulator would be used for piracy.

SHOCKED!

And I am very VERY disappointed in you, our userbase.

Seriously they formed an LLC (named after a strain of weed) around this? That’s just giving Nintendo a neck to strangle.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 6, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That reads to me an awful lot like Nintendo said "Also, you're going to post this pre-approved statement about how evil piracy is"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Coffee Jones posted:

I for one am shocked …
Shocked that our current generation emulator would be used for piracy.

SHOCKED!

And I am very VERY disappointed in you, our userbase.

Seriously they formed an LLC (named after a strain of weed) around this? That’s just giving Nintendo a neck to strangle.

lol at the number of L's and 🤡's

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Good soup! posted:

lol at the number of L's and 🤡's

I appreciate how there are more trans people than anyone from any specific country. :allears:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Coffee Jones posted:

That's probably the smartest thing they did, IMO. If they hadn't, Nintendo could have sued each of the individual developers, at least those who seemed complicit in the patreon-for-early-patches scheme. Having been partner in a now-bankrupt LLC is infinitely better than being on the hook personally for millions of dollars.

Ms Adequate posted:

That reads to me an awful lot like Nintendo said "Also, you're going to post this pre-approved statement about how evil piracy is"

Definitely, yes.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It wouldn't be a claim based on infringement, but one based on anti-circumvention, because the original authors admitted its purpose is anti-circumvention.

What Nintendo is trying to do here is certainly a reach, but that's what they're trying to do.

I still don't think there is any way the copyright to the emulator code could be transferred to Nintendo as part of a settlement. They could have had it awarded to them as part of a judgement in case it had gone to court, perhaps, but then they would have had to prove that the code was actually infringing on their copyrights. As in, the emulator code was identical to, or based on, code that is part of the Nintendo Switch software. I don't believe that's the case, and so they could not possibly have won that copyright.

IANAL etc.

Most likely, the code still belongs to the authors but they are forbidden by the settlement contract from distributing it either themselves or as their LLC.

If so, anyone who has a copy of the code is free to fork the project and continue development. With great caution, presumably. Maybe, if the next maintainer doesn't do stupid poo poo like charge money for it, they could be lucky and survive?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That's probably the smartest thing they did, IMO. If they hadn't, Nintendo could have sued each of the individual developers, at least those who seemed complicit in the patreon-for-early-patches scheme. Having been partner in a now-bankrupt LLC is infinitely better than being on the hook personally for millions of dollars.

Definitely, yes.

I still don't think there is any way the copyright to the emulator code could be transferred to Nintendo as part of a settlement. They could have had it awarded to them as part of a judgement in case it had gone to court, perhaps, but then they would have had to prove that the code was actually infringing on their copyrights. As in, the emulator code was identical to, or based on, code that is part of the Nintendo Switch software. I don't believe that's the case, and so they could not possibly have won that copyright.

IANAL etc.

Most likely, the code still belongs to the authors but they are forbidden by the settlement contract from distributing it either themselves or as their LLC.

If so, anyone who has a copy of the code is free to fork the project and continue development. With great caution, presumably. Maybe, if the next maintainer doesn't do stupid poo poo like charge money for it, they could be lucky and survive?
Even if the copyright was transferred it wouldn't change things. As far as I can tell, the way the license is written, they can't just retract it, just like Yuzu couldn't do that before the lawsuit happened. They could go after other people using the same legal justification, but the results of this lawsuit would have no effect because it was settled out of court (Cases are sometimes settled out of court just to avoid establishing a legal precedent).

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Some time ago I asked about fixing crackling in SNES emulators, today I fixed it!

By changing the frequency from 48000hz to 44100hz, which is the opposite of every advice I've seem on the internet.

I don't understand, and I don't care. I'm just happy the problem's fixed! :dance:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Glad that worked for you! Which did you change, though? Windows setting or emulator setting?

For the former, I have the "default format" on my mobo audio-out set to 24-bit 96khz, but I think my USB headset only goes up to 48khz. RetroArch is set to 48khz (is that the default value?) and I haven't noticed any major issues using the dsound driver.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Glad that worked for you! Which did you change, though? Windows setting or emulator setting?

For the former, I have the "default format" on my mobo audio-out set to 24-bit 96khz, but I think my USB headset only goes up to 48khz. RetroArch is set to 48khz (is that the default value?) and I haven't noticed any major issues using the dsound driver.

Emulator setting! Which is now mismatched with Windows without causing any issues.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ofecks posted:

If you’re using a USB headset, it contains its own DAC. So it shouldn’t make any difference what you set your mobo audio-out to; it’s not part of the signal path.

In my mind, it would make sense to match the frequencies of the emulator and the DAC you’re using. That way, there is no resampling and thus less risk of audio artifacts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With Nintendo online access shutting down tomorrow for 3DS, might there be any possibility for still playing Animal Crossing New Leaf online / visiting other players through emulation? Any possible solutions on native hardware?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

With Nintendo online access shutting down tomorrow for 3DS, might there be any possibility for still playing Animal Crossing New Leaf online / visiting other players through emulation? Any possible solutions on native hardware?
Pretendo Network is the attempt to build a new Nintendo Network for 3DS and Wii U, but it doesn't support ACNL yet.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Not sure if this question would be better here or the Steam Deck thread, but...

Where do I shove the "cheat.db" file for use with PSP games, when running them through RetroArch on the Steam Deck? I know where it goes on Windows, for the standalone PPSSPP client, but I'm not sure where it goes on the Deck/for RetroArch.

I tend to use RA for its really good RetroAchievements integration, but I suppose I can use the standalone emulator in this case since the retro-cheevos won't work for this game anyway.

(trying to play Fate/Extra with the PerfectPatch+, but its been heavily recommended that I use some cheats to nullify the apparently atrocious combat system)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Retroarch has a built in cheat searcher that you can enable via the options. Only works in certain cores tho.

It’s not the best and can lock up RetroArch pretty easily.