Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
We all thought there was a thread like this already, but there wasn't. So, here it is.

:filez: RULE: DO NOT DISCUSS WHERE TO OBTAIN ROMS BECAUSE THAT'S A BIG NO NO:filez:

Useful links:
Emulation General wiki: this wiki lists emulators for every system you can imagine, as well as tutorials about setting up emulators, shaders, netplay etc
Romhacking.net: for all your romhacks & fan translation needs

Netplay:
Most emulators rely on direct p2p connections between players to emulate couch co-op. This can be fiddly and requires you to understand the arcane magic of port forwarding. However, there's a bunch of options that let you set up multiplayer lobbies for certain games or systems. These are:

1. Fightcade for arcade and (some) console titles
2. XLink Kai for PS2/PS3/PSP/Xbox/360/Gamecube LAN-based games
3. Wiimfii for Nintendo Wii and DS games that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
4. Insignia for playing games that used Xbox Live on the original Xbox

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The OP is a bit bare so if anyone has anything to expand it with just lmk i guess

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Ofecks posted:

Is the :filez: thing still even applicable in 2023? Especially since the main source of them these days is a DMCA-resistant website.

I got in touch with the mods before posting this thread and was asked to put the notice in. I figure anyone online enough to still use SA in 2023 has the requisite knowledge anyway.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The Kins posted:

It's pretty wonderful just how far PCSX2 has come in the last year or so, shaking off about a decade of tech debt and adding fixes and improvements left and right.

Yeah right around the time they got the DuckStation/Dolphin UI their development seems to have really kicked into high gear. I can't remember the last time I launched it without being prompted for an update.

I'm just waiting for the moment they fix the whole "fiddle with clamping to make license tests work on Gran Turismo 4 but ONLY the license tests" thing

(Actually, I'm waiting for the moment it - and RPCS3, for that matter - lets me hook up my MIDI drum set so I can play Rock Band properly)

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 8, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Rinkles posted:

Been havin a gay old time in PSP2i, courtesy of PPSSPP.

Wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much because it seemed fairly simple, and it's an action game on the PSP, but it's got the fundamentals of a good treadmill down (number one ingredient being the promise of unlocking costumes) and the controls are well thought out.

And with the magic of emulation, I can cheat in dual stick controls (it's not even a button remap, somehow the right stick hacks into camera control directly)

Playing those games makes me realise how low-res the fonts were back in the day and how much that contributed to the aesthetic. I guess that's why modern re-releases of games from that era, like the Phoenix Wright collection, feel a bit bland and soulless.

I wonder how that screenshot would look like with the zfast_lcd shader.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Captain Rufus posted:

(sans proper light gunning currently)

Have you seen this? https://sindenlightgun.com/

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Ofecks posted:

What does one use to control PSP games on PSTV?

DS3 or DS4, dealer's choice.

Ofecks posted:

Excuse me, what? Why would they do that? Reminds me of needing to install Daemon Tools and mount CD images to use with Magic Engine back in the day (it didn't load ISOs directly for some inexplicable reason).

Their official announcement was:

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 8, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

If you strictly want lobbies, then your options are:

1. Fightcade for arcade and (some) console titles
2. XLink Kai for PS2/Xbox/Gamecube LAN-based games
3. Wiimfii for Nintendo Wii and DS games that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
4. Insignia for playing games that used Xbox Live on the original Xbox

Most other methods, such as the netplay in Dolphin or RetroArch will require you to directly connect to the other player. This will require you to set up port forwarding (unless you're on Dolphin, which has a workaround)

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

njsykora posted:

At some point I’m probably going to just turn every emulator I have to 1x resolution because something about the upscaling is off to me.

i have no qualms about running ps1 games at 4k or even 8k

as long as they're integer scaled up from 240p/480i and there's a tasteful crt shader over them :twisted:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Retroarch and Bizhawk are your two options. Retroarch is more popular, but the dev team are notorious assholes to emulator devs, and their behaviour almost led to duckstation calling it quits. Bizhawk is just as good, but because it’s less popular you won’t find as many tutorials and documentation.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

It somehow feels wrong to consider that there’s a handheld system capable of emulating the goddamn PS triple

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Silhouette posted:

I use an 8bitdo bluetooth Saturn controller :v:

Same, but I use a retro-bit wired pad because it's slightly cheaper

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Sinden also sells a foot pedal IIRC, if you have the budget for that

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

You could also just put your keyboard on the floor and hit the space bar with your foot, for the cheapest option

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

:justpost:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I'd guess your best bet is CRT-Royale? It's got a whole bunch of options to let you gently caress around with the physical characteristics of a CRT display.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Not gonna lie, I don't miss having to mess around with plugins. N64 is the last console for which all the major emulators are still plugin-based, right?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I legit dread configuring controllers in RetroArch. It's the kind of awful where you can't even find the vocabulary to properly describe what's wrong with it

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I play with a lot of different controllers, primarily because Retro-Bit makes affordable (and licensed, in Sega's case) USB clones. RetroArch was always supposed to be this great solution for keeping them all plug and play and configured properly and yet it somehow never worked for me correctly.

I just keep bespoke emulators for everything because it's genuinely less of a pain in the dick. My only gripe now is that great emulators like Mednafen don't have the DuckStation/PCSX2/Dolphin GUI, which, frankly, is what RetroArch should have been aiming for since the start.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Really wish more emulators would adopt the DuckStation/PCSX2/Dolphin UI. Helped get a friend into emulation recently and it's such a mind boggling improvement over Retroarch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

emSparkly posted:

The UI like PCSX2 and Duckstation come from the qt framework iirc which is cool but switching retroarch over would probably be a nightmare. The RA devs made their bed and now we have to lie in it.

Oh no, I don’t want RA to switch over, I want more emulators to adopt the DuckStation UI style so I never have to look at RA again